What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

buzzmobile

Veteran

Many years ago ('74-'76)I was a park ranger at John Pennekamp State Park in Key Largo. It was in the days of bales of 'sea weed' roundups. The weekends usually produced several floaters that we would load onto the patrol boat and hand over to the local sheriff or marine patrol. That was no fun.

The fun part was being able to 'patrol the reefs' in a park boat on our days off. We dove as many reefs as we could manage in a day's time. The reefs were suffering damage mainly from boaters' improper anchoring back then, but the first signs of reef decline were happening as well. Small patches of coral bleaching back then were puzzling and the beginning of "What's going on at the reef?"

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Safe the planet, cut more trees

F1jczJFWIAE1ave.jpeg

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
unbelievable! :( :(
I didn´t even know there were this many trees in Scotland and now they´re all dead wood? Sad, very sad :(
For context that 16 million trees estimate is based on <8,000 hectares of commercial forest cut over 20 years. There are 1.4 million hectares of forest in Scotland.

Trees have a lifespan, die / get cut, get replanted. In particular tree farms of fast growing conifer have little, if any, environmental value.

This is not significant. It's cherry-picking a headline grabbing number in support of an agenda.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-forestry-strategy-20192029/pages/4/#:~:text=Scotland has good growing conditions,from fast-growing conifer species.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Like you said, a production forest gets replanted, but with the windmill farms you only get barren plains with only windmills & meanwhile the sole is also disappearing from the North Sea i read yesterday and the researchers suspect the cables from the windmills to the mainland are the cause for the disappearance.

Beautiful landscape those windmill farms give.

wind-farm-scotland.jpg

Cuddles

For context that 16 million trees estimate is based on <8,000 hectares of commercial forest cut over 20 years. There are 1.4 million hectares of forest in Scotland.

Trees have a lifespan, die / get cut, get replanted. In particular tree farms of fast growing conifer have little, if any, environmental value.

This is not significant. It's cherry-picking a headline grabbing number in support of an agenda.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-forestry-strategy-20192029/pages/4/#:~:text=Scotland has good growing conditions,from fast-growing conifer species.
but the headline reads that the trees will be cut down in order to build windmills instead, right? This means that the trees will be gone for good. It also does not say which type of trees will be removed either.
There must be land without trees someplace else...
Besides, all plants have environmental benefits, as far as I know. :)

audiohi

Veteran
Like you said, a production forest gets replanted, but with the windmill farms you only get barren plains with only windmills & meanwhile the sole is also disappearing from the North Sea i read yesterday and the researchers suspect the cables from the windmills to the mainland are the cause for the disappearance.

Beautiful landscape those windmill farms give.

View attachment 18869000

A coal plant would look so much better.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
but the headline reads that the trees will be cut down in order to build windmills instead, right? This means that the trees will be gone for good. It also does not say which type of trees will be removed either.
There must be land without trees someplace else...
Besides, all plants have environmental benefits, as far as I know. :)
So your knee jerk reaction is to a sensationalist headline. And you're not going to even bother to invest just 5 minutes of research to see how the trees being cut down and not regrown are not carbon sinks of any kind. They are turning what is essentially a tree farm into a wind farm with the space between the energy generating windmills to be returned to native fauna which is a carbon sink. Not to mention hugely beneficial to local wildlife.

Sounds to me like their plan is a heck of a lot more eco friendly than a farm with little to no environmental benefit. But go ahead and continue on with your outrage. Don't let any facts get in the way of your anger.

Cuddles

So your knee jerk reaction is to a sensationalist headline. And you're not going to even bother to invest just 5 minutes of research to see how the trees being cut down and not regrown are not carbon sinks of any kind. They are turning what is essentially a tree farm into a wind farm with the space between the energy generating windmills to be returned to native fauna which is a carbon sink. Not to mention hugely beneficial to local wildlife.

Sounds to me like their plan is a heck of a lot more eco friendly than a farm with little to no environmental benefit. But go ahead and continue on with your outrage. Don't let any facts get in the way of your anger.
who´s getting angry? just you.
You don´t seem to get the point that I was trying to make at all. i never suggested that renewable energy is a bad thing. On the contrary. I´ve been into the idea ever since I found out about it.
If you just want to pick a fight, I´m not gonna go for it btw.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
the average height of energy-making windmills today is over 250 feet. i wonder how many trees (outside of the Sequoias in Cali) are so tall as to need cutting for this purpose? or do they want the ground bare between the windmills so they can install solar cells as well...? inquiring minds etc etc :unsure:

Cuddles

the average height of energy-making windmills today is over 250 feet. i wonder how many trees (outside of the Sequoias in Cali) are so tall as to need cutting for this purpose? or do they want the ground bare between the windmills so they can install solar cells as well...? inquiring minds etc etc :unsure:
good point. but there must be bits of land here and there where nothing much grows anywhere and animals don´t require the grass to feed and so on?
I also really wish that all new buildings were deisgned to be able to use as much renewable energy as possible.
And outfitting existing buildings with it should be far more affordable! Even small solar panels can be quite dear :(

Cuddles

PS smaller windmills would also be nice for say , individual properties ( so we can save money directly).

for example: I just got a letter from my provider which states that I owe them 300+ quid . I had taken precautions and really did my best to save electricity and yet... I guess the bastards simpy put their prices up or something. On the other hand they don´t even know how much I really used and only guessed it .

I did the whole thing online this week, so we´ll see what happens ( finger crossed because I was certain that I would get a similar sum BACK actually)

sorry for the off topic rant, lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
Even small solar panels can be quite dear
enough people are installing solar that some places are passing laws that the utility companies don't have to pay YOU if you produce so much that your meter stops turning and the excess goes into the grid. they are like the IRS; they enjoy cashing checks but sure as hell hate writing them...