What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Three Berries

Most people think of corn and soybeans when they imagine Illinois agriculture. That’s not surprising, considering that The Prairie State ranked second in the nation when it comes to harvested acres for both of these crops in 2012. Our farmers harvested more than 21 million acres of corn and soybeans in Illinois during 2012. That keeps a whole lot of combines rolling each fall.

However, Illinois agriculture achievements expand way beyond just corn and soybeans. Our farmers produce a wide variety of crops and livestock. For example, you can probably thank an Illinois farmer when you open that can of pumpkin pie filling this Thanksgiving. With more than 12,500 acres, Illinois growers account for more than three-fourths of all pumpkins harvested for processing in the United States.

Also, to help you spice up your table, Illinois growers rank #1 in horseradish production, harvesting nearly 1,800 acres – more than half of all U.S acreage – of this vegetable in 2012. Horseradish has such a strong presence in our state that one of our towns, Collinsville, Illinois, is known as the Horseradish Capital of the World.

It is not only at the state level that our farmers lead the nation in many farming categories. Our counties rank high as well. For example, Mason County ranked first among all counties in the United States in acres planted to popcorn in 2012.

What unifies all of these crops is the Illinois soil. It is one of our best agricultural assets and our farmers take great care of it. There are 6.1 million acres of cropland on which no-till practices are used in Illinois. Another 7.7 million acres are under conservation tillage practices. Lastly, Illinois producers planted more than 300,000 acres of cover crops in 2012. All of these techniques help to preserve the great soil of Illinois for future generations of producers.

buzzmobile

Veteran

Most people think of corn and soybeans when they imagine Illinois agriculture. That’s not surprising, considering that The Prairie State ranked second in the nation when it comes to harvested acres for both of these crops in 2012. Our farmers harvested more than 21 million acres of corn and soybeans in Illinois during 2012. That keeps a whole lot of combines rolling each fall.

However, Illinois agriculture achievements expand way beyond just corn and soybeans. Our farmers produce a wide variety of crops and livestock. For example, you can probably thank an Illinois farmer when you open that can of pumpkin pie filling this Thanksgiving. With more than 12,500 acres, Illinois growers account for more than three-fourths of all pumpkins harvested for processing in the United States.

Also, to help you spice up your table, Illinois growers rank #1 in horseradish production, harvesting nearly 1,800 acres – more than half of all U.S acreage – of this vegetable in 2012. Horseradish has such a strong presence in our state that one of our towns, Collinsville, Illinois, is known as the Horseradish Capital of the World.

It is not only at the state level that our farmers lead the nation in many farming categories. Our counties rank high as well. For example, Mason County ranked first among all counties in the United States in acres planted to popcorn in 2012.

What unifies all of these crops is the Illinois soil. It is one of our best agricultural assets and our farmers take great care of it. There are 6.1 million acres of cropland on which no-till practices are used in Illinois. Another 7.7 million acres are under conservation tillage practices. Lastly, Illinois producers planted more than 300,000 acres of cover crops in 2012. All of these techniques help to preserve the great soil of Illinois for future generations of producers.
So now you believe the over 10 year old information on a .gov site?

Oh, Claire! How could you??!!

This could be the revival of the Great Northern Horseradish Raid of 1887. It could get ugly.

Three Berries

CO2 Coalition
@CO2Coalition

Indian Government's report on Assessment of Climate Change over the Indian Region: “Long-term observations (1891–2018) indicate a significant reduction in annual frequency of tropical cyclones in the North Indian Ocean basin.”

FmLhHbcaMAAYjWD

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm surprised you think you know how people should best use their land.
Mark Twain's statement regarding arguing with stupid people would certainly apply here, except it is worse because you cannot even recognize that I am not arguing with you. I'm talking about a mistake made many years before you arrived on the ground.

And Shiva, no Mark Twain is not a Hollywood movie star.

Three Berries

Mark Twain's statement regarding arguing with stupid people would certainly apply here, except it is worse because you cannot even recognize that I am not arguing with you. I'm talking about a mistake made many years before you arrived on the ground.

And Shiva, no Mark Twain is not a Hollywood movie star.
LOL tilting at windmills?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
You can do what you want with your property. Not me saying you aren't farming right. Not me trying to kill off the population with Political Climate Science.

LOL

What's the proper CO2 level???????
Who's killing off the population?
Actually not a bad idea if it started with killing off the climate denialists. After all, why should they destroy the earth for the rest of us? Their (in)actions will result in plenty more deaths in the future.
Too dumb to live.

Three Berries

No such thing. This isn't an even contest between denialists and those who believe in science. You are posting deliberate misinformation. The scientific evidence for human climate change through industrialisation is overwhelming.

I believe in science. Just not your science. I agree it is undeniably evident that what Climate Hoaxers want to do to civilization is kill it off.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I believe in science. Just not your science. I agree it is undeniably evident that what Climate Hoaxers want to do to civilization is kill it off.
You believe in deliberate climate misinformation funded by organisations with a vested interest such as big oil. That isn't science but you are too dumb (or invested?) to realise.

Three Berries

You believe in deliberate climate misinformation funded by organisations with a vested interest such as big oil. That isn't science but you are too dumb (or invested?) to realise.
But Big Oil was just presented in this thread as proof of Climate Change...

And all the government funded climate scientist have a very big vested interest in keeping their funding coming. Those policies that the Climate Hoaxers want to establish will kill more people than any slow climb in temperature.

The Russians are a very big supporter of Climate Hoaxing as they benefit from the West shooting itself in the foot energy wise.

Brother Nature

What exactly is being accomplished by the left by orchestrating this whole climate change hoax? How and who does it benefit?

It's pretty clear why a company exploiting the earths resources and those with financial interests in that company would want to lie to you about the determent they are causing the environment.

But why would the other side want to lie to you about it? Scientific funding is a drop in the bucket compared to an oil companies yearly profit, so it's not that. Whose getting rich and powerful off this hoax as you call it?

Three Berries

What exactly is being accomplished by the left by orchestrating this whole climate change hoax? How and who does it benefit?

It's pretty clear why a company exploiting the earths resources and those with financial interests in that company would want to lie to you about the determent they are causing the environment.

But why would the other side want to lie to you about it? Scientific funding is a drop in the bucket compared to an oil companies yearly profit, so it's not that. Whose getting rich and powerful off this hoax as you call it?
Have you ever heard of the World Economic Forum and their future plans?

Three Berries

Robin S. Cox, PhD
Like many professionals, you may have reached a point in your career where your drive and passion can do more to help tackle one of the biggest challenges facing our planet – and we agree. At Royal Roads, we’ve designed an MA program for professionals like you who want to help create a climate-resilient and climate-just future.

To learn more about how you can make a difference with your career, join me on March 30 for a webinar about our Masters of Arts in Climate Action Leadership program (https://www.royalroads.ca/programs/...i_fat_id=89957a2c-68cc-44cc-8baa-d1b2e1ee10cd). As the program head, I’ll be providing information and answers to any questions you may have about the program, application requirements, and the Royal Roads experience.

Register for the webinar to save your seat. If you can’t make it, we’ll send out a link of the recording following the event.

If you’re ready to join an international movement working to change the climate story from a tale of disaster to one of transformation, then now, more than ever, it’s time to reimagine the future – and your career.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robin Cox

Program Head, Climate Action Leadership

Three Berries

And the biggest benefactor of Climate Change policies is the government.

World's Largest Tax Scheme

For discussion of the EU's hypocritical carbon tax scheme, please see EU Imposes the World's Largest Carbon Tax Scheme.

Meanwhile, the US is marching down an idiotic path towards electric vehicle mandates with no plan on where to get the minerals for the batteries. Nor does president Biden have an reasonable plan for the infrastructure needed.

Latest posts

Latest posts