What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Three Berries

Your magical land of corn country. lol

Meanwhile in other parts of the world like Australia;
Global heating in the Indian Ocean has shifted a climate pattern towards drier conditions across Australia’s globally important wheat belt causing a severe drop in yields over the past three decades, according to a new study.

Scientists from Australia and China warned as global heating continues, wheat-growing conditions would become more challenging.

The study, published in Nature Food, analysed different climate phenomena that influenced Australia’s rainfall since the late 1800s and used models to see how this affected wheat yields.
Farmers across eastern Australia brace for ‘wet drought’ as rain threatens major crop loss
Read more
Global heating has caused a shift in a climate pattern known as the Indian Ocean Dipole which, when it’s in a positive phase, can starve wheat growers of rain.
When Governments and Billionaires stop with the weather modifications then maybe this stuff won't happen. And yes our great corn country. We feed the world.

Nothing worse that political science.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
When Governments and Billionaires stop with the weather modifications then maybe this stuff won't happen. And yes our great corn country. We feed the world.

Nothing worse that political science.
So are governments and billionaires modifying the weather everywhere, apart from magic corn country? Why has magic corn country remained unaffected?

What political science are you talking about? Nothing political about a changing climate science.

I don't know about corn country feeding the world, although the US are the biggest producer. I haven't eaten corn for years and I doubt ours is imported from the US. Corn grows in a lot of places, even grown it myself.

Last edited:

Chi13

ICMag Donor

The summer drought’s hefty toll on American crops​

Corn, wheat and other agricultural products withered in a year of glaring climate change impacts​

It was a bad year for corn. And for tomatoes. And for many other American crops.
Farmers, agricultural economists and others taking stock of this summer’s growing season say drought conditions and extreme weather have wreaked havoc on many row crops, fruits and vegetables, with the American Farm Bureau Federation suggesting yields could be down by as much as a third compared with last year.

American corn is on track to produce its lowest yield since the drought of 2012, according to analysts at Rabobank, which collects data about commodity markets. This year’s hard red winter wheat crop was the smallest since 1963, the bank’s analysts said. In Texas, cotton farmers have walked away from nearly 70 percent of their crop because the harvest is so paltry, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The California rice harvest is half what it would be in a normal year, an industry group said.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
So are governments and billionaires modifying the weather everywhere, apart from magic corn country? Why has
magic corn country remained unaffected?
corn country here in middle of huge drought. the Mississippi river (which drains corn country) is so low that barge traffic has damn near halted, people can walk out into the river bed. same situation in much of Europe/Great Britain. whoever is controlling the weather (if anyone) is doing farmers no favors.

Three Berries

corn country here in middle of huge drought. the Mississippi river (which drains corn country) is so low that barge traffic has damn near halted, people can walk out into the river bed. same situation in much of Europe/Great Britain. whoever is controlling the weather (if anyone) is doing farmers no favors.
What makes you think magic corn country isn't affected. Look at the yields! Higher CO2 boost all.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Most of us are so far removed from food production that we don't realise there's an issue until it effects supermarket prices. We have a potato shortage effecting the availability of potato chips/french fries. We have seen huge prices for some vegetables over the last few years due to unprecedented droughts and fires, then flooding rains ruining crops. An iceberg lettuce was $10 at one stage!

Three Berries

When I was a yougin and they still moldboard plowed fields they were lucky to get 80 bushels an acre of corn. Now 200 is the norm.

Iceberg lettuce is crap anyway. And unpredicted is only within ones knowledge as records are always broken.

Three Berries

I worked in food production. Kraft Foods and two other smaller ready to eat fresh fruit and veggies. Kraft was an amazing place. Made salad dressings and their cheese products. The Velveeta and Miracle Whip processes and machinery were amazing.

You learn what not to eat too!

Brother Nature

Cornholio.png

I am the great cornholio.... I.. feed.. the wooorlddd!!!

iTarzan

Veteran
Didn't the Great Cornelia record Gangsta Paradise?

Speaking of cornholia when did bean bag toss become cornhole?

iTarzan

Veteran
I worked in food production. Kraft Foods and two other smaller ready to eat fresh fruit and veggies. Kraft was an amazing place. Made salad dressings and their cheese products. The Velveeta and Miracle Whip processes and machinery were amazing.

You learn what not to eat too!
Love the show "How things are made". The machinery is amazing whatever they are making.

Three Berries

Ha and the macaroni and cheese. Flour and water for the mac and mostly dried milk whey and food coloring for the cheese. We made a million boxes a day off two shifts of the blue box. When the metal detector did not see the foil cheese pack it pneumatically shot them off the line like a machine gun.