What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Three Berries

All that green energy is going to need a lot more copper. Here's a good read on copper mining in the US.

COPPER redux. I live near one of the largest copper mines on earth (Kennecott Utah Copper - KUC). I helped manage a smaller copper mine for 8 years. Observation: Wind/Solar/Battery Proponents & ESG bean-counters are completely out of touch with copper mining & production.

5:09 PM · Oct 23, 2022

iTarzan

Veteran
I changed some wording in this post because I don't want it to be argumentative. I want it to be encouraging.

Yes pollution makes whatever phase of the Milankovitch cycle we are in but we can never stop the Milankovitch cycle from happening. The earth gets the closest to the sun at one end of the cycle and farthest from the sun at the other end of the cycle. The end of each cycle has cold and hot conditions that go beyond what man could cause by himself. We can only control what man does but that won't stop us from another ice age or tropical age.

Us boomers know there is always climate change. We are in a warming phase. Boomers, contrary to popular beliefs, care about the planet. WE FUCKING STARTED EARTH DAY! We fixed the hole in the ozone layer made by our parents and grandparents. Now it it time for you to fix whatever we broke. DO YOUR JOB!!!!

Here is what needs to be done. Students need to start taking courses that will help them invent ways to deal with pollution even though half or more of the world doesn't care or doesn't want to change their lifestyle. Heck, some countries haven't even reached 1850s USA lifestyles and we want them to stop trying to get there. No coal, no gas, don't cut trees, don't build cities and whatever.
People have invented things to solve problems to have a better life since the dawn of man. Cars, electric, refrigeration, paper, printing...
Now the younger people have to start inventing stuff to clean up the air, land and water even if people keep polluting. That is the answer.

Start inventing stuff. Boomers did. I would bet that boomers in the USA are the most diligent recyclers and anti polluters on the planet. We are also the majority that gives to save the dogs, kids, animals, rainforest, clean air, clean water, native Americans, cancer research, police funds, firefighter funds and every other cause.
Roll up your sleeves and invent a way to save the earth despite the fact that China, Russia, other countries and yes even thoughtless people in the USA are not going to change what they are doing. It is not the fault of boomers.

Last edited:

audiohi

Veteran
Compost the boomers

Then, they can do their job correctly.

... gives the most to save the dogs. lol

1000.jpeg

Last edited:

iTarzan

Veteran
That is a boomer making a boomer compost bin. We boomers never stop doing our part.

However, we are retired now and only do hobby type work. Like making picnic tables, outdoor furniture and boomer compost bins.

You need to start doing some inventing audiohi. Like a giant sky filter or the super earth air conditioner.

igrowone

Veteran
All that green energy is going to need a lot more copper. Here's a good read on copper mining in the US.

COPPER redux. I live near one of the largest copper mines on earth (Kennecott Utah Copper - KUC). I helped manage a smaller copper mine for 8 years. Observation: Wind/Solar/Battery Proponents & ESG bean-counters are completely out of touch with copper mining & production.
interestingly copper spot prices haven't changed much during this electric boom
and I also see that new forms of aluminum will likely become a large part of electric vehicle construction
time will tell

Three Berries

interestingly copper spot prices haven't changed much during this electric boom
and I also see that new forms of aluminum will likely become a large part of electric vehicle construction
time will tell
The metals commodity prices are really controlled and are not an actual reflection on spot industrial demand. But that seems to be changing as many are demanding the actual product from the commodity's vaults vs the paper certificates for trading.

Copper is also a byproduct of silver mining too. Which also is needed in the solar field.

I don't see electric cars reaching 50% for decades.

igrowone

Veteran
not much experience with industrial metals and spot price
but silver and gold spot price is routinely used as the reference point for purchases/sales of those metals

Three Berries

not much experience with industrial metals and spot price
but silver and gold spot price is routinely used as the reference point for purchases/sales of those metals
Yes that's how the average person sees it. I've bought gold and silver precious metals for years. And the industrial users were trapped by the precocious metals spot prices. But the paper metals markets fouled the direct connection between supply and demand prices. It inserted an entire third layer to skim profits from. This is falling apart currently.

Much the same as having a gold depository 'store' your physical.

Latest posts

Latest posts