What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

armedoldhippy

Veteran
western Alaska has been/is being hammered. the pictures the news agencies show are horrific. Japan supposedly evacuating millions of citizens from coastal areas as the typhoon heads their way... meanwhile, all of Puerto Rico is without power.

St. Phatty

And I find a lot of stuff way off, that's why I usually buy in threes for the cheap stuff. Hopefully at least two of them agree but not always

I wanted to buy a UPS for the computer and the only way to get it was to buy 3.

Now I'm a little afraid to hook the computer up to it.

Three Berries

I wanted to buy a UPS for the computer and the only way to get it was to buy 3.

Now I'm a little afraid to hook the computer up to it.
I worked making batteries for years. 10% failure is normal during production. Then there is the pressure to make it so not so many fail the testing by management.

St. Phatty

I worked making batteries for years. 10% failure is normal during production. Then there is the pressure to make it so not so many fail the testing by management.

I worked at Elgar who used to be one of the main UPS manufacturers, 30 years ago.

I got there right after the acquisition by Dobson Park.

5 managers paid $17 million, then sold it for $40 Million. A Leveraged Buy-Out.

One of those managers, John Jones, was then shot & killed by a co-worker who I found to be very helpful, Larry Tesla.

That happened about 8 months after I left.

IT WAS A DISASTER.

They did all sort of financial contortions to look good for the buyer.

Like booking jobs UNDER COST so it would look like they had a Big Backlog.

Then after the acquisition, they tried to cancel some of those orders, one of whom was with Israel.

Israel said, "we will sue you."

So the manager, Ken Cook, turned around and said to us engineers & design types, "you have 3 months to do 9 months worth of work".

This did not produce a Quality Work Atmosphere.

What does this have to do with UPS ?

One of the UPS, for an aircraft carrier, had 18 car batteries for energy storage.

One morning, about 2 months before I left, someone shorted the 18 car batteries.

It was Spectacular !

But John Jones made the decision, "OK now you guys have to go back inside and work".

Which meant breathing PCB smoke etc. for another 4 or so hours, for all the manufacturing workers, including Larry Tesla.

It would make a good Black Comedy.

I remember one of the HR people, an African American woman, saw me imbibing some intoxicant in the parking lot after work one day.

A week later, we all had "Drugs in the Workplace" seminars.

Which was actually sort of helpful. It was like a Networking Coffee Klatch for all the Pot Smokers.

And to top it off, I got MORE battery education when I found a big pile of batteries next to the dumpster.

Loaded them in my truck & sold them to the local Surplus Electronics place for about $160.

The owner/ lead technician there showed me his battery evaluation & re-charging approach.

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Do not breathe Vaporized Battery Smoke. Save your Lungs for the Good Stuff.

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Fd_mjjsWIAAx5O2~2.jpeg

Three Berries

Climate controllers at it again. Dry dry dry for the Mississippi upper basin. No way to get the new harvest crops to the rest of the world without a railroad.

St. Phatty

Big heated debate at Wildfire Today, about the 60 Minutes article on the 2021 Tahoe area fire.

"I can see there is a crown fire of discussion. We should have done this, we could have done that? There are several names I recognize which have decades of experience as wildfire and (all-risk) firefighters, there comments have validity. In my full four decades of firefighting, there were many times I have seen the Calder Fire scenario. "

"I was there the night the caldor rolled through grizzly flats. We initially on day shift moved to swing. We were informed by a cal fire battalion/local fs bc to hold the road next to Leilani flat two type 3s and one type 1 crew . It was a a no win situation by the time we told them we would not engage due to risk of holding the road fire jumped the road with 100+ flame lengths and was spotting half mile. Hundreds of spots.(cal fire bc and FS bc almost entrapped) We pulled back to resort where a municipal structure group leader decide to leave Leilani flats and evacuate grizzly flats. This time fire had burned to the “green barrier mentioned in article throwing thousands of spots anywhere from one to two miles . We then began mass evac of grizzly flats at two in the morning. Informing residents there was only one way out of community. Fire took approx one hour to get to the community in full crown fire.

Btw this fire was a FED fire managed by a Cal Fire team."

"It still must return to first principles: We’ve allowed people to build and live in high fire prone areas with the expectation they can be rescued and their property protected. We can’t. Even with the billions we spend nothing will stop a fire in the right conditions. That expectation is akin to building below the levee on a river and complaining about flooding. "

"I’ve been doing some research on the effect of vegetation cover near structures on structure loss rates in wildfires in Northern California. The vegetation cover within 50 feet of homes in the Grizzley Flat area averaged over 70%, the highest of any of the 10 high-structure-loss fires I have looked at. (The next highest was the Camp fire at 58%). Fuel treatments outside of town might have helped the situation, but the biggest need was for fuel treatments in town near structures."

Three Berries

The preacher man says it's the end of time
And the Mississippi River, she's a-goin' dry
The interest is up and the stock market's down
And you only get mugged if you go downtown

Hank Williams Jr., - Country Boy Can Survive, 1982

Three Berries

Last calendar year was excessively wet here in corn country. This year is excessively dry. Add them together and they average out to the average rainfall per water year. Oct-Sept.

2021 water year 40.24"
2022 water year 37.55"
28 year average 39.74"

One year they say excessive rain is climate change, the next year it's excessive dry is climate change. But they just keep on growing more and more corn.

Latest posts

Latest posts