What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

h.h.

Veteran
B9DC86E7-92F9-426A-B97E-E84A6F8B9222.jpeg

h.h.

Veteran
I drive the Toyota most of the time. It’s that bipolar thing. I had an 01 Ranger. It didn’t haul many block. I was a contractor in California (B-1, C-29). I had a use for a big truck. I used it for my move, after which I was buying feed by the ton.
I turned it into a camper. Put solar on the roof. Use it to haul the kayak. I put very few miles on it. It has 160,000 miles on a motor that should Last 500,000 miles.
It has Cali emission and gets smog checked every year.
It’s my one big excess.
My carbon credits come from 20 acres that lies mostly fallow while following organic methods heavily influenced by Jeff Lowenfel, our own microbeman, and others of the like.
With Biden’s climate bill, hopefully I can afford solar.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I drive the Toyota most of the time. It’s that bipolar thing. I had an 01 Ranger. It didn’t haul many block. I was a contractor in California (B-1, C-29). I had a use for a big truck. I used it for my move, after which I was buying feed by the ton.
I turned it into a camper. Put solar on the roof. Use it to haul the kayak. I put very few miles on it. It has 160,000 miles on a motor that should Last 500,000 miles.
It has Cali emission and gets smog checked every year.
It’s my one big excess.
My carbon credits come from 20 acres that lies mostly fallow while following organic methods heavily influenced by Jeff Lowenfel, our own microbeman, and others of the like.
With Biden’s climate bill, hopefully I can afford solar.
I’m just jealous. I’d like a 4X4 Ford diesel van. That takes some serious cash and a specialty shop for the right conversions. My dream truck at the moment.

My Ranger I’ve had since new. 2.5 liter 8 plug “Pinto Motor” 5 speed Mazada transmission with 234,000 miles. Original motor…original clutch…the very basic model. Still goes 85 mph down the highway no problems. Very reliable.

Not to say I didn’t put in a new front end…or radiator…or about 4 power steering pumps…4 alternators (just put in a brand new one a month ago)…use Ford factory parts….keep up on all the maintenance etc etc

Old enough and basic enough that I think it’s a cool truck. I’ve almost sold it a dozen times. Had 4 trucks. Now down to 2.

* Billy Jack was the shit when I was a kid

h.h.

Veteran
I’m just jealous. I’d like a 4X4 Ford diesel van. That takes some serious cash and a specialty shop for the right conversions. My dream truck at the moment.

My Ranger I’ve had since new. 2.5 liter 8 plug “Pinto Motor” 5 speed Mazada transmission with 234,000 miles. Original motor…original clutch…the very basic model. Still goes 85 mph down the highway no problems. Very reliable.

Not to say I didn’t put in a new front end…or radiator…or about 4 power steering pumps…4 alternators (just put in a brand new one a month ago)…use Ford factory parts….keep up on all the maintenance etc etc

Old enough and basic enough that I think it’s a cool truck. I’ve almost sold it a dozen times. Had 4 trucks. Now down to 2.

* Billy Jack was the shit when I was a kid
Kelderman suspension front and back. Dual shocks, airbags with onboard air. It’s a beast.

Plastic thermostat housing lead to having to replace the heads on my 01’ 4.0 Ranger. A dog chewed up the 4x wiring. Step side, I couldn’t find a topper for it. It sat out in Cali for 3years. I finally gave it to my brother. I get about the same mileage with my big truck if I don’t push it.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Kelderman suspension front and back. Dual shocks, airbags with onboard air. It’s a beast.

Plastic thermostat housing lead to having to replace the heads on my 01’ 4.0 Ranger. A dog chewed up the 4x wiring. Step side, I couldn’t find a topper for it. It sat out in Cali for 3years. I finally gave it to my brother. I get about the same mileage with my big truck if I don’t push it.
Well that’s a beast of a truck. Give you props on that. Well done. Those things are solid.

My time on the road gave me a lot of different perspectives on camping truck set ups. Got to check out different people’s concepts. A lot were overkill…folks with a lot of money building things that were not necessary…and some were real minimalist. One guy had a Honda Accord that he took the passenger and back seat out of….and on the other end of the spectrum was the Unimogs…$150,000 just for the basic foundation.

At the end of the day…we all dumped our trash bags in Walmart parking lot trash cans…when we hit towns. I have a picture of my Ranger parked beside a Unimog in the Walmart parking lot Payson, AZ doing exactly that.

I had my wife with me in 2020 for 10 weeks avoiding the Covid freak out…camping and running in the AZ deserts…out of the back of the Ranger. But we are short people. If you are over 6’ tall…it would be a problem. Better to be short in a small truck.

h.h.

Veteran
If you see a 6’ guy with 120# dog spending the night in a little white Toyota car at the Lupton rest stop, stop and say hello. I did buy a tentcot. It folds out with an attached tent on top. Easy setup. . I go as minimally as possible unless I’m with my girlfriend.

h.h.

Veteran
We all dump our trash in some manner. I may be more hypocritical then some because I do have faith in the science where man can and does effect the climate. Far from the minority there is a lot of hypocrisy in manbearpig. Hypocrisy doesn’t change the science. It simply distracts. Individual actions become mute without government (social) interaction. I smog check my truck every year, not out of individual responsibility, I do it because of regulations. Only through government regulation did the air improve in Southern California. Only through government regulation will climate change be addressed.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
….the world is…in flux…as before as now as forever. A beautiful thing.
Jesting in mockery of age old narratives…and their hyperbole laden derivatives

the sky is always falling

1ECA7D23-CBA6-4E46-B18C-231694F4E06C.jpeg
556A607F-231E-485F-A28F-94CA59A5A95D.jpeg
354293AE-ED18-4B80-A131-26136F7E633A.jpeg

E06EC469-5B60-4A77-99E3-C8F8E91DC841.jpeg

Last edited:

h.h.

Veteran
The sky is always falling while we’re always dying, yet you still run. We do as we must as we pick our own gods.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
The sky is always falling while we’re always dying, yet you still run. We do as we must as we pick our own gods.
Yes…but I’m not running from anything. I’m just calloused over from a lifetime of doom and gloom rhetoric. There are reasons why mainstream media outlets are a 5 to 1 advantage to the negative storylines as opposed to positive ones. It’s a well known formula. Feed the masses guilt and fear. Mix in some science with hyperbole….shout it out…sell the narrative

Besides….what is anybody in this thread doing about climate change anyways? Nothing. Rapping on the technology that is a part of the destruction. Wasting energy. Wasting time.

Latest posts

Latest posts