What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I live in a town where even the Democrats are rednecks.

I suspect that rednecks have problems with animals like cats, squirrels, and chickens, because they have a sneaking suspicion that the animals have more functional intelligence than they do.

I have one neighbor that brags about killing 24 cats.

I have another neighbor that brags about killing 110 squirrels.

Maybe I should introduce them.
lots of folks, even today, eat squirrels. cats are frequent visitors to the stewpot in rural Mexico & further south. friends with more $$$ than i that travel extensively, tell me that if you see a cat down south, it is either really skinny & moving fast, or fat as a pig & sitting in a cage...IE- a "fiesta cat". you are probably spot-on RE "functional intelligence". chickens? looks like EVERYONE has a "problem" with them...:biggrin:

St. Phatty

Could be worse I suppose. We could be exiting our dwellings concerned about getting mauled to death by a Cave Bear.

View attachment 18746812

Instead…since it’s dumping rain…and everything is soaking…we’ll bake pie…and not worry too too too much

I was reading about the Pupfish, which lives ONLY in the Devil's Hole Lake/ cavern in Death Valley.

The article asked "how did it get here ?"

Well I think that's fairly obvious. It got there when there was a lot more water in Death Valley.

So now I understand the semi-mystery of the so-called "Loch Ness Monster".

I suppose it might seem like a monster if you're swimming in Loch Ness and it eats you.

It's a Plesiosaur, or similar creature. It had a home in Loch Ness, then the oceans moved around. It survived the switch from salt water to fresh water.

if you can understand the Pupfish, you can understand the stranded species of Plesiosaur (or similar) in Loch Ness.

So I guess one other question is - if Bigfoot exists, how does Climate Change affect them ?

Does Bigfoot deserve "Endangered Species" status ?

Would the US be better off with a Bigfoot for President ? I think Kamala might like that. Her trips to the Oval Office would be a lot more fun. But Doug might get jealous.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
AEC3DCD9-849C-4091-92F0-FDB44CB8C1BA.png
7A991B0E-A4DC-4775-B86C-211E94742D8B.png
AA82975B-5F73-4D02-A260-1F9F126B8305.png
B38ECD27-7181-4D59-B0F1-91EA3D48B19C.png
4001D120-62E6-4942-B3D4-0F2F10347DA4.png

^ Summer of 2020…running and camping up on the Klamath on the border of California and Oregon. Bigfoot country. I could see them existing…maybe 10,000 years ago…not so much…in recent centuries.

My camp was burned over…200’ flames in Doug Fir monster trees. I had to drive off the mountain with fire below me…on a Forest Service dirt road…I’d only driven one time. Fled the fire into Oregon…no way back into Happy Camp…that fire killed 2 people…burned into Happy Camp…and into the Rouge.

I thought I might be done myself. Had to drive all the way to the coast to get out of that fire. Bigfoot would have been fucked.

30E3FE6F-AD05-4E8B-A5E4-825B4392859B.png

Climate Change on the fly…you better be on it

CEFF62E3-C505-4B2C-B577-A0AD18AF8292.png
184A654A-FC5F-4837-B463-1A12512EEFB3.png

Last edited:

St. Phatty

View attachment 18746852

^ Summer of 2020…running and camping up on the Klamath on the border of California and Oregon. Bigfoot country. I could see them existing…maybe 10,000 years ago…not so much…in recent centuries.

My camp was burned over…200’ flames in Doug Fir monster trees. I had to drive off the mountain with fire below me…on a Forest Service dirt road…I’d only driven one time. Fled the fire into Oregon…no way back into Happy Camp…that fire killed 2 people…burned into Happy Camp…and into the Rouge.

I thought I might be done myself. Had to drive all the way to the coast to get out of that fire. Bigfoot would have been fucked.

Climate Change on the fly…you better be on it
I had a front row seat to the Oakland Hills fire in October 1991. Very memorable. I happened to be hiking that day, from West Oakland to Berkeley.

I'm not sure how rare it is for the German rivers to run out of water in the summer.

It seems like they've been taken by surprise.

Whether that is part of Climate Change or more "normal weather", it seems to be messing them up.

Wildfire or floods, or lack of rain. Which is more impactful ?

There's a lot of ranchers giving up their cow herds because of the cost of feed.

There have been 2 wildfire fire-fighter fatalities in Southern Oregon this year. One guy was a local, the other was from Colorado.

Haven't heard of any computer programmers dying on the job.

But the programmers tend to be much better paid.

We would be having a different conversation if the US had started 20 years ago, to put in infrastructure to move that flood water to the drought states.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"Sasquatch for President!" ... you know, after years of saying that i would vote for Satan or a cardboard NASCAR driver before i'd cast a ballot for The Chump, i see no reason why Bigfoot (Bigfeet?) should not be given a shot at the office as well. if Cheney runs, i'll vote for her, in the GOP primary. if The Chump runs, i'll for for literally ANYONE (anything?) else and pray that they win.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
"Sasquatch for President!" ... you know, after years of saying that i would vote for Satan or a cardboard NASCAR driver before i'd cast a ballot for The Chump, i see no reason why Bigfoot (Bigfeet?) should not be given a shot at the office as well. if Cheney runs, i'll vote for her, in the GOP primary. if The Chump runs, i'll for for literally ANYONE (anything?) else and pray that they win.
18550F24-6B49-4BEF-BFB1-B2496CE14CD5.jpeg

I vote pie over cake…about…as far as…I go

Politics are not my thing. Pie though…turning apples into candy…I’ll go the distance…magical stuff…pie

Last edited:

St. Phatty

I read that Dallas got 9 inches of rain.

Or was that 15 inches.

"MOST RAINFALL IN A 24-HOUR PERIOD
  1. Sept. 4-5, 1932, 9.57 inches
  2. Aug. 21-22, 2022, 9.02 inches
  3. April 24-25, 1922, 8.81 inches
  4. Sept. 21-22, 2018, 8.11 inches"
I've witnessed 2 inches of rain, right after a major lightning storm.

It rained so fast, all in about 45 minutes, that it mostly ran off.

The lightning ignited a debris pile across the street, and it was still burning after 2 inches of rain.

I would say that what's happening in Dallas falls in the category of Normal weather.

BUT it could also very well be affected by, Climate Change.

Meanwhile in Oregon ...

Went roller-skating yesterday Sunday, air was fine.

The Sunday before, there was a grass fire about 1/2 mile South, and the air was OK.

Today, we are getting the smoke from the fire that killed the local firefighter.

THEY DON'T PAY THESE GUYS ENOUGH !

I participate in a web forum for fire-fighting professionals, and I keep telling them -
* they deserve a 10-fold increase in pay
* they should resort to a General Strike, if necessary to get it.

When was the last time you heard about a computer programmer being killed by a falling tree ?

The programmers at Google make about 8 times what the fire-fighters make, and the programmers sit in air-conditioned offices.

Attachments

• fireF-killed2.jpg
    fireF-killed2.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 19

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"i would say that what's happening in Dallas falls in the category of normal weather." i would say that the people in Dallas would say that you are full of something normally found on the floor in barn stalls... over 14 inches of rain in under 24 hours...sounds "normal" to me. :biglaugh: that's more than fell in Kentucky when over 30 people died in the floods. that was 14 inches spread out over FOUR days...Texas is lucky that it is so flat.

h.h.

Veteran
I read that Dallas got 9 inches of rain.

Or was that 15 inches.

"MOST RAINFALL IN A 24-HOUR PERIOD
  1. Sept. 4-5, 1932, 9.57 inches
  2. Aug. 21-22, 2022, 9.02 inches
  3. April 24-25, 1922, 8.81 inches
  4. Sept. 21-22, 2018, 8.11 inches"
I've witnessed 2 inches of rain, right after a major lightning storm.

It rained so fast, all in about 45 minutes, that it mostly ran off.

The lightning ignited a debris pile across the street, and it was still burning after 2 inches of rain.

I would say that what's happening in Dallas falls in the category of Normal weather.

BUT it could also very well be affected by, Climate Change.

Meanwhile in Oregon ...

Went roller-skating yesterday Sunday, air was fine.

The Sunday before, there was a grass fire about 1/2 mile South, and the air was OK.

Today, we are getting the smoke from the fire that killed the local firefighter.

THEY DON'T PAY THESE GUYS ENOUGH !

I participate in a web forum for fire-fighting professionals, and I keep telling them -
* they deserve a 10-fold increase in pay
* they should resort to a General Strike, if necessary to get it.

When was the last time you heard about a computer programmer being killed by a falling tree ?

The programmers at Google make about 8 times what the fire-fighters make, and the programmers sit in air-conditioned offices.
You oughta see how much grown men playing a kids games get paid.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Rivers are like ribbons of life; roads and barbed wire - ribbons of death.

I’m happy that the Gila runs free on the New Mexico side of the State Line. Once it hits Arizona it goes into a reservoir for agriculture.

Used to flow all the way across AZ into the Colorado River (talking about river wars between the States…the history of the Colorado)…and down into Mexico. If you see it now…it’s a trickle sometimes running above ground…across the Sonoran desert.

The building of dams, reservoirs, aqueducts/canals across the West…may well have been….short sighted…as much of the SW was not designed to have millions of people living on it. It’s a desert.

The environment was modified for people obviously.

B8C5DACF-AF37-48ED-BE74-8735DC39CC1F.png

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m happy that the Gila runs free on the New Mexico side of the State Line. Once it hits Arizona it goes into a reservoir for agriculture.

Used to flow all the way across AZ into the Colorado River (talking about river wars between the States…the history of the Colorado)…and down into Mexico. If you see it now…it’s a trickle sometimes running above ground…across the Sonoran desert.

The building of dams, reservoirs, aqueducts/canals across the West…may well have been….short sighted…as much of the SW was not designed to have millions of people living on it. It’s a desert.

The environment was modified for people obviously.

View attachment 18747745
Did you ever read The Monkey Wrench Gang?
I knew some related characters back in the 'first great awakening'.:alien:

Hempy McNoodle

Latest posts

Latest posts