What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

St. Phatty

I'm learning a lot about Geography from being obsessive about reading the Wildfire news.

Check it out, that creek or river between "Tish Tang a Tang Ridge" and Lone Pine Ridge.

With a name like "Tish Tang a Tang", you KNOW it's got to be Special in some way.

Since it has such a distinctive name, AND most of us have never heard about it, I would guess that's because the local farmers prefer Discretion over Publicity.

Actually besides having the 6 Rivers Fire breathing down their neck, the Emerald Triangle has another Wildfire detail.

Given the general distaste for Official Vehicles, the Officials are a little put off by the farmers' attitude - so wildfires in the Emerald Triangle are often given a Lower Priority, by Official California and the US Gov.

So, the Farmers have adopted a Do it Yourself approach, which is probably the best way anyway.

They are buying their own fire trucks, water tankers, etc., so they can deal with wildfires on their own.

Attachments

• calif-fire-26K_081822b.jpg
    calif-fire-26K_081822b.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 18

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I'm learning a lot about Geography from being obsessive about reading the Wildfire news.

Check it out, that creek or river between "Tish Tang a Tang Ridge" and Lone Pine Ridge.

With a name like "Tish Tang a Tang", you KNOW it's got to be Special in some way.

Since it has such a distinctive name, AND most of us have never heard about it, I would guess that's because the local farmers prefer Discretion over Publicity.

Actually besides having the 6 Rivers Fire breathing down their neck, the Emerald Triangle has another Wildfire detail.

Given the general distaste for Official Vehicles, the Officials are a little put off by the farmers' attitude - so wildfires in the Emerald Triangle are often given a Lower Priority, by Official California and the US Gov.

So, the Farmers have adopted a Do it Yourself approach, which is probably the best way anyway.

They are buying their own fire trucks, water tankers, etc., so they can deal with wildfires on their own.

Some places are more anti federal government…than others. Nevada is like that…some of Nor Cal…some of Idaho.

Putting out your own fires…having local apparatus available is a wonderful thing.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might be but isn't.
;)

There is great truth in the above when a north wind in late October blows them out of the Apalachicola National Forest.
These are much worse than mosquitoes. When I was a youngster my family spent every spring in the bush in northern Ontario. The air is black with them. The flies crawl into your hair, up your pants, down your socks and bite again and again. I wore a screen head gear, like bee keepers do, pants tucked into socks, long sleeves tucked into gloves. Thankfully they were usually only alive for 2 weeks in such numbers.

Bless the Israelis and Bacillus thuringiensis

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
EADBD0AF-4213-410B-B2EE-25FE796CF34C.png

Kelp Forests off the coast of Southern California and Baja…don’t seem to be hurting from climate change.

When the top of food chain…apex predators are healthy and in numbers…chances are…the kelp forests are thriving.

There are a lot of White Sharks right offshore in those waters. Breeding grounds. Not uncommon to see one just outside the surf zone now days. Real stuff. The fishing in these waters is hard to beat…truth be told.

Last edited:

armedoldhippy

Veteran
got something called "no-see-ums" over on NC coast at Hatteras. damn things come right through mosquito netting, and the mosquitoes lie awake at night wishing THEIR bites made folks so miserable.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran

Global heating forcing white sharks into new waters​

….the White Shark population is increasing…dude. Has been for over 30 yrs. Take a paddle out. See for yourself.

A symptom of your affliction is to see everything in a negative light. You want doom and gloom. Misery loves company. Media loves misery. Keep digging….your happiness is down there somewhere. Bad acid

And what a misleading headline….with the real propaganda piece and intention saved for the very last paragraph. Well done! Next we’ll be hearing science from Sea World.

Last edited:

St. Phatty

….the White Shark population is increasing…dude. Has been for over 30 yrs. Take a paddle out. See for yourself.

A symptom of your affliction is to see everything in a negative light. You want doom and gloom. Misery loves company. Media loves misery. Keep digging….your happiness is down there somewhere. Bad acid

And what a misleading headline….with the real propaganda piece and intention saved for the very last paragraph. Well done! Next we’ll be hearing science from Sea World.

If there's fewer fish, what are they eating ?

I hear that the Crab and Jellyfish populations are increasing.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
If there's fewer fish, what are they eating ?

I hear that the Crab and Jellyfish populations are increasing.
Whitey eat seal. Mature ones anyways.

If you asked local San Diego fishermen…they’d tell of a happier looking ecosystem than some in here would have you believe.

Nothing is perfect but imperfections

St. Phatty

Whitey eat seal. Mature ones anyways.

If you asked local San Diego fishermen…they’d tell of a happier looking ecosystem than some in here would have you believe.

Nothing is perfect but imperfections

I encountered a HUGE great white, at La Jolla Shores on the way to La Jolla Cove, on November 20, 2002.

On November 19, 2002, a lobster fisherman saw a HUGE great white eating a large seal about 1/3 mile off La Jolla Cove.

He was so scared he abandoned his traps for a week and ske-daddled.

The seals aren't vegetarians.

I wonder if they eat similar to what my cat eats. "White fish", though it's in a can.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
I encountered a HUGE great white, at La Jolla Shores on the way to La Jolla Cove, on November 20, 2002.

On November 19, 2002, a lobster fisherman saw a HUGE great white eating a large seal about 1/3 mile off La Jolla Cove.

He was so scared he abandoned his traps for a week and ske-daddled.

The seals aren't vegetarians.

I wonder if they eat similar to what my cat eats. "White fish", though it's in a can.
Big Whites patrol the SD coastline constantly. Juveniles…now that people fly drones over the surf line ups…are seen all the time. Sometimes you just get a weird feeling…that weird movement under your board…like something big is passing. Not much you can do. Focus away.

Seals…Sea Lions…harass the hell out of fishermen. Back in the day…a lot of them got shot.

I can just speak from what I’ve seen. Even with all the people living in California…but a small percentage venture into the surf on a regular bases. A smaller percentage actually gets offshore and sees the Kelp Forest ecosystem.

Then the news comes on…

Latest posts

Latest posts