What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
CBBDAA90-4F61-4DF9-B29C-57F44764367C.png

Amusing. I clicked on one of these stupid headlines the other day for an example…and now the algorithm spins me more.

Wild

I am the Mega Omega…the first and the last…it is the end of times…the sky is falling…the seas are flooding…the mountains are erupting…
8D2556D8-D228-4343-AF26-C937C87EFA97.png
80626DDF-2FE5-48E2-BFF5-02968428536D.png

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
We can all post happy snaps of where we live (three berries does this a lot), but that proves nothing. Boiling frogs don't realise what's happening either, and not many of us are going to notice vary gradual increases in temperature. I go hiking most weekends in the most beautiful pristine rainforest, which burnt for the first time in millennia during the last fires. No amount of photos means that means human induced climate change isn't occurring.

Here we've had unprecedented bushfires, followed by a deluge that in my 60 years have not seen before. My curry leaf tree looks healthy, but it no longer loses it's leaves in winter because now winters are warmer. Many km south of here an ocean current is now 2 degrees warmer, resulting in some species of kelp being wiped out, which in turn effects the fish population. I could go on and on.
You can always come to the Netherlands to experience cold in the winter.With gas prices at the moment of €2,96/m3, you will need a pot of gold to pay your gas bill or use a petroleum heater instead to put the cost down.We don't have temps of below zero much, just above but with a high humidity of 80-90%.
Winters didn't change much.In February 2021 we finally had a winter month for skating on the ice with temps -10/-15 C, last time was 2018 with a chill temp of -18C.Last winter was pretty rainy weather with temps between 2-10 C, but that has probably to do with the sun, which is active again.A CME is coming to earth again, will arrive Thursday.

St. Phatty

All that proves is -
They want to sell Advertisements - and they're willing to say anything to do it.
The basis for their claim re. the Floods is - the Floods of 1862.

The "we had 1000 year floods once - we might have them again" argument.

The Killer Temperatures - well there the claims about future results, deviating from past results, are a little more accurate.

The summer of 2021 & 2022 being 2 examples.

Not exactly comforting, but at least Chemistry trumps media bullshit.

Weather being one example of Chemistry, Wildfire being another.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In Cali, I see bark beetles. Dead trees all over .
Ask yourself (Hempy style); do we have bark beetles because logging companies clearcut large swaths of long established forest>fungi systems and then replanted fast growing easy to saw and sell species susceptible to beetles?

They may try to tell you that in a clearcut they use everything. Not true. Been there. Hard to market species like Hemlock are cut down to make way for equipment and left lying. After they dry they are dozed into burn piles.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
All that proves is -
They want to sell Advertisements - and they're willing to say anything to do it.
The basis for their claim re. the Floods is - the Floods of 1862.

The "we had 1000 year floods once - we might have them again" argument.

The Killer Temperatures - well there the claims about future results, deviating from past results, are a little more accurate.

The summer of 2021 & 2022 being 2 examples.

Not exactly comforting, but at least Chemistry trumps media bullshit.

Weather being one example of Chemistry, Wildfire being another.

It proves that we are constantly bombarded by bullshit. That’s just the standard Yahoo page. Every media page is the same. I personally do not read this stuff…but I bet a lot of people do. Show it to the masses every day….push agenda…of course…it’s about chasing $$$$$$…and getting people to buy in…and for sure..selling advertising on the side.

They are selling the green energy industry….and reaping in government subsidies. Selling the Fear. When they use fear to sell something…it’s generally…an exaggerated dip into bullshit.

Note the Global Warming term has been replaced by the more encompassing Climate Change. The blame is still put on people.

They even make satire movies : Don’t Look Up is a currently popular one

324C6BE1-29B0-4229-9871-C1FAE303B180.png
EC37D901-D766-4DDB-B748-BAAC56F68123.png

On a personal level : I’m enjoying climate change

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Today I learned about a blacktail rattlesnake. Thanks, @Hempy McNoodle . Nice shot, @Jericho Mile .

That was a mature rattler. When they are mature….most the time…they do not give up the trail. Very territorial. When they’re young they are quick to evade.

I have a video of that one on IG…where you can see him holding up his rattles by his head showing me his age and attitude. Fat and beautiful. Actually mellow snakes…and I appreciate that they warn me of their presence.

All the snakes were out yesterday. Well fed.

696DD1C3-2CE9-499C-AA11-B8C41FE91FA9.jpeg

^ Good size mature Bull snake that was waiting for me to pass before crossing the trail. He tipped me off…that it was going to be a snake day. Usually not out in the mid afternoon…but with the cloud cover and mid 80’s temps….everything was out.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Ask yourself (Hempy style); do we have bark beetles because logging companies clearcut large swaths of long established forest>fungi systems and then replanted fast growing easy to saw and sell species susceptible to beetles?

They may try to tell you that in a clearcut they use everything. Not true. Been there. Hard to market species like Hemlock are cut down to make way for equipment and left lying. After they dry they are dozed into burn piles.
I spent entire winters cutting down Ponderosa Pines killed by bark beetles and drought. All day long just sawing and dropping. Setting up to have the trees chipped by an incredibly large chipper on tracks…with a boom and a grappler…that fed itself…and followed the saw teams. That thing could eat any tree 30” dbh or less. The bigger stuff had to be bucked by saws.

Then…a year or two later…we’d run fire over the sites….clean it up…and rejuvenate growth. It works. The trees grow back. Quickly.

St. Phatty

What's interesting is the Overlap of Social Disintegration & Climate Change.

So the equipment that is used to keep small fires small ... went to pay somebody's rent ... or something.

Why is rent so high ? Property owners have to pay the costs of sky-high health care, among other reasons.

It will get a lot more real when there is a shortage of fuel to power the fire-fighting equipment.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I spent entire winters cutting down Ponderosa Pines killed by bark beetles and drought. All day long just sawing and dropping. Setting up to have the trees chipped by an incredibly large chipper on tracks…with a boom and a grappler…that fed itself…and followed the saw teams. That thing could eat any tree 30” dbh or less. The bigger stuff had to be bucked by saws.

Then…a year or two later…we’d run fire over the sites….clean it up…and rejuvenate growth. It works. The trees grow back. Quickly.
Yeah, it's more the Jack Pine that I think was the catalyst for the bark beetle 'endemic' a favorite of the timber companies as a replant species. Almost exclusively replanted in large blocks.

We cleared out about 20 loads of dead standing Jack Pine in the 90's, giving the larch, fir, spruce, ponderosa, hemlock a chance to bulk out. The property had been previously logged near to the 20s-30s and had to be skidded through the river so much of the bigger stuff had been left.

They didn't want ponderosa at the time we were cutting but we snuck in a few dead standing. The beetles had not really got into them at that time. I like bug killed pine. It is still solid wood and has that beautiful blue-green grain through it. It is especially good for log construction.

I once saw a single larch log make an entire load on a logging truck. This was in the dry-ish mountain regions, not coastal rain forest. There was wholesale criminal destruction of unseen-unknown areas going on while protesters brought attention to the coast.

Hempy McNoodle

The Bark Beetles are an invasive species from Asia. So, it's not the tree species that are the problem. I have long suspected that the Bark Beetles were genetically modified.

h.h.

Veteran

I can see that being a plausible theory for some areas.

I’ve followed a few old abandoned Jeep trails. At times losing track of the trail. You could follow the new growth. Paths into pipes canyon with views of barren land that was once forest. Burnt in the 70’s.

Sometimes it just all depends.

Generally drought conditions cuts the sap supply. The trees lack defense.

Hempy McNoodle

That was a mature rattler. When they are mature….most the time…they do not give up the trail. Very territorial. When they’re young they are quick to evade.

I have a video of that one on IG…where you can see him holding up his rattles by his head showing me his age and attitude. Fat and beautiful. Actually mellow snakes…and I appreciate that they warn me of their presence.

All the snakes were out yesterday. Well fed.

View attachment 18745671

^ Good size mature Bull snake that was waiting for me to pass before crossing the trail. He tipped me off…that it was going to be a snake day. Usually not out in the mid afternoon…but with the cloud cover and mid 80’s temps….everything was out.
Ever see any pyromelana?

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Bark Beetles are an invasive species from Asia. So, it's not the tree species that are the problem. I have long suspected that the Bark Beetles were genetically modified.
I'm sure if you actually research you will find there are many species but the most problematic beginning the infestation is the one which attacked jack - lodgepole pine first and are native to north america. Dendroctonus ponderosae I guess you were a real hit as the junior tree scientist ranger guy.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure if you actually research you will find there are many species but the most problematic beginning the infestation is the one which attacked jack - lodgepole pine first and are native to north america. Dendroctonus ponderosae I guess you were a real hit as the junior tree scientist ranger guy.
PS. https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/our-natural...nd-diseases-canada/mountain-pine-beetle/13381

The mountain pine beetle (Dendroctonus ponderosae) is a wood-boring insect native to western North America and attacks a wide range of pine trees including lodgepole, ponderosa, western white, whitebark, limber and jack. It does not attack Jeffrey pine.

The mountain pine beetle (MPB) has many natural predators including insects, parasitoids and woodpeckers. However, these enemies do not have sufficient impact to effectively control new or outbreak populations.

Quick facts​

• An ongoing outbreak of mountain pine beetle that started in British Columbia in the early 1990s has affected more than 18 million hectares of forest
  • The beetle has migrated well beyond its historic range into northern British Columbia and eastward into the boreal forest of north-central Alberta
  • teach your granny to suck eggs

Hempy McNoodle

In the Sierra Nevada mountains of CA, the only Bark Beetle anyone is concerned about are the Asiatic Bark Beetles. Of course, some would say that the trees are dying from airborne pollutants coming from airplanes.

Hempy McNoodle

In the Sierra Nevada mountains of CA, the only Bark Beetle anyone is concerned about are the Asiatic Bark Beetles. Of course, some would say that the trees are dying from airborne pollutants coming from airplanes.
CA means California, not Canada, btw. I know you are not a geography major... :smoke:

h.h.

Veteran
Jeffrey Pine Beetle
Jeffrey pine beetle is the principal insect enemy of Jeffrey pines. This native beetle occurs throughout most of the range of Jeffrey pine, and similar to the mountain and western pine beetle, it can cause high levels of tree mortality. Adult beetles are reddish-black and about 5/16 inch in length. Larvae are curved in shape, mostly white, and have yellowish colored heads.
Similar to the two previously discussed bark beetles, Jeffrey pine beetles attack trees by boring through the outer bark and into the phloem.