What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

It's the Climate, stupid

h.h.

Veteran
IMG_20210703_195105_5.jpg
6,600'

St. Phatty

I've been criticized for the fire-break around our home, but I've worked on forest fires and watched as lit debris traveled over 1/2-mile on the up-draft from the heat of the forest floor. Stuff that makes a conifer tree going up sound like a jet engine gaining rpm's, before it goes 'WHOOSH!!' like a Roman candle, shooting up abruptly from the bottom to the top. Spectacular stuff from up-close, providing your feet aren't melting.. ;)

What was the Criticism ?

yes when stuff burns it can be so interesting it sort of makes you forget.

I was burning honeysuckle and it was so cool (actually, very hot) that I stopped paying attention to the details and almost got hurt.

I have a neighbor who "loves his squirrels" - but destroyed their food habitat on 14 acres of his land as part of his wildfire prep.

Then he gets drunk and goes over to his neighbor's land and accuses them of stealing his squirrels.

Moose Eater, is your land fire-proof ? I mean, could somebody walk around dropping matches and it would start no fire because there's nothing to burn ?

The one neighbor's landscaping is that extreme. He has zero vulnerability to wildfire, doesn't need fire insurance OR to subscribe to the rural fire department. Fire wise his property is like the Sahara desert.

Last edited:

Three Berries

150 years of records isn't anything to compare worst ever to. Just worst ever recorded. All records will be broken sooner or later.

h.h.

Veteran
It’s my belief that elevation…concerning cannabis expressions…brings out the heady(ness)

…of course I’ll be bed sheeting frost to get there…but hey

Nice…being home
That or the lack of oxygen to the brain. Frying under the unfiltered UV light. It works for me.

The hail is my enemy.

moose eater

What was the Criticism ?

yes when stuff burns it can be so interesting it sort of makes you forget.

I was burning honeysuckle and it was so cool (actually, very hot) that I stopped paying attention to the details and almost got hurt.

I have a neighbor who "loves his squirrels" - but destroyed their food habitat on 14 acres of his land as part of his wildfire prep.

Then he gets drunk and goes over to his neighbor's land and accuses them of stealing his squirrels.

Moose Eater, is your land fire-proof ? I mean, could somebody walk around dropping matches and it would start no fire because there's nothing to burn ?

The one neighbor's landscaping is that extreme. He has zero vulnerability to wildfire, doesn't need fire insurance OR to subscribe to the rural fire department. Fire wise his property is like the Sahara desert.

The neighbors who cleared their yard years ago in order to manicure a lawn, and make a nice garden, thought that my removing so many (especially) aspen/balsam poplar would contribute to global warming and increase in CO2. That was right up through last year, when we were clearing an area below our primary residence to build a smaller residence (now on hold). I told them that when they replanted all the aspen, etc., they took down to make their lawn and garden, I'd seriously consider making my fire breaks smaller.

(*Their -real- bitch was that by our taking down the trees, it was thinning the buffer between their lots and the road we share. However, to clarify, it was they, both land-owners down on that end, who chose to build RIGHT ON their boundaries, just far enough away from the property lines to be legal. And somehow in their colorful minds, this authorized depriving others of full use of -their- land. I skipped informing them of the precedents that negate their argument).

Funny part is that Nature's exposed their disingenuous arguments; where we took out those pesky aspen/balsam poplar, it's WAY more green than it was with the stilt-like trees standing there with thier more limited plumes at the top. I'd dare to guess there's more O2 coming out of that patch of woods now than there was before decapitating the aspen, etc.

And just 2 days ago an aspen on another's lot fell across our main power line, cutting off my power during a 1.5-hour wind storm, with the outage lasting over 31 hours. Second outage due to poorly maintained right-of-ways in 2 weeks. My right-of-ways are cleared, and no one had to ask me to do it.
-------------------------------------------------------------
No, most places in our 'yard' you can drop lit matches and not fear a fire popping up.

We were hauling H2O after we first built our home, with a 1,500-gallon holding tank in the ground. I wasn't about to pay what was then .06 cents/gallon 25 years ago for delivered water for sprinklers on a lawn or a garden, so I hauled creek water for the garden with a 2-stroke pump and barrels, and I put in broam hay for a lawn, because it can go a LONG time without rain and stay green. Never mind the walking barefoot on inverted Fuller Brush expeience after you mow it; that was to come later. (*we have a very nice well now, for the last 22 years, though with fairly hard water, but clear, with little to no odor).

The forest floor near me and on our land is a mixed bag. In the shaded gullies where there's greater moisture in the ground (125 vertical ft. of river silt, per the core sampling we did before putting in the foundation) there's more green mosses, and it's not apt to just take off from a match or a sparkler. But where there's dry tinder, some amount of methane in the rotting debris, etc., near the dryer black spruce, and a lengthy dry spell, that stuff can go up in a heart-beat.

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
That or the lack of oxygen to the brain. Frying under the unfiltered UV light. It works for me.

The hail is my enemy.
Yeah…hail. Always a threat.

I like highland varieties is all I’m saying. I attempt to swing for that mountain spirit thing…runner herb

Last edited:

St. Phatty

The forest floor near me and on our land is a mixed bag. In the shaded gullies where there's greater moisture in the ground (125 vertical ft. of river silt, per the core sampling we did before putting in the foundation) there's more green mosses, and it's not apt to just take off from a match or a sparkler. But where there's dry tinder, some amount of methane in the rotting debris, etc., near the dryer black spruce, and a lengthy dry spell, that stuff can go up in a heart-beat.

As you know, the burn-ability is directly related to the amount of fuel & how dry it is.

Then weather things. Like, calm in the morning, wind in the afternoon. A PM fire is WAAAAAAY worse than an AM fire.

Doing controlled burns, I have had masses of fully involved wood that I doused completely 3 times (so it was in a puddle).

And it came back 3 times and continued burning.

It was as wet as could be - and continued burning.

I watered it down because it felt a little too "Hyper".

If you want to be fire-proof you have to remove all the plants that become flammable if they don't get water.

So cactus is OK, Creeping Myrtle is OK.

But grass or honey suckle near a house ? No way. It has to be cut every week or month or year, and that can become too big of a task.

Same for blackberry. But blackberry is a bit of mixed bag. The Fresh Green blackberry is not a fire hazard. It will not burn, not this year.

This year it is a Fire-Break, that becomes Dangerous wildfire fuel next year or the year after.

I think fire prevention stuff would make a cool video game.

moose eater

As you know, the burn-ability is directly related to the amount of fuel & how dry it is.

Then weather things. Like, calm in the morning, wind in the afternoon. A PM fire is WAAAAAAY worse than an AM fire.

Doing controlled burns, I have had masses of fully involved wood that I doused completely 3 times (so it was in a puddle).

And it came back 3 times and continued burning.

It was as wet as could be - and continued burning.

I watered it down because it felt a little too "Hyper".

If you want to be fire-proof you have to remove all the plants that become flammable if they don't get water.

So cactus is OK, Creeping Myrtle is OK.

But grass or honey suckle near a house ? No way. It has to be cut every week or month or year, and that can become too big of a task.

Same for blackberry. But blackberry is a bit of mixed bag. The Fresh Green blackberry is not a fire hazard. It will not burn, not this year.

This year it is a Fire-Break, that becomes Dangerous wildfire fuel next year or the year after.

I think fire prevention stuff would make a cool video game.
Root and moss smoldering at the Fireside, B.C. fire in the early or mid-1980s, on the Alcan Hwy., smoked away with sub-surface burn for -years-. Summer to summer. Literally. At least 3. And those types of smoldering sub-surface fires can come back during a dry spell with no notice. Just proper conditions, some O2, maybe a breeze, a fissure opens up in the ground from the expansion or contraction of the loam, etc., resulting from the burning subsurface material or an uprooted tree, and 'poof'. Rural employment made possible.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Australia is a land of drought and flood. One extreme to the other. Over my lifetime though, it seems fires have increased. A couple of years ago this reached a point where it seemed half the East Coast was ablaze. Three billion animals perished, not to mention damage to houses and properties. This was followed a while later by the heaviest most prolonged rain event I've ever experienced. Over a three day period we received over 300ml (24 inches) of rain each day. Crazy. You can't convince me that climate change isn't real or happening. My personal experience aligns with the science.

Our rural firefighters are almost entirely volunteers. When we owned a 25 acre property we had a few bushfires go through. They can be terrifying after prolonged drought, on a ridge surrounded by bush (eucalypts leaves spiral when lit and can fly a long way). I remember a day of 45C heat with a gale blowing and smoke all around, just praying it wouldn't come our way. In our winter we often hear news stories of similar happening in the US, often California. Stay safe and prepared, fires are no joke.

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
Australia is a land of drought and flood. One extreme to the other. Over my lifetime though, it seems fires have increased. A couple of years ago this reached a point where it seemed half the East Coast was ablaze. Three billion animals perished, not to mention damage to houses and properties. This was followed a while later by the heaviest most prolonged rain event I've ever experienced. Over a three day period we received over 300ml (24 inches) of rain each day. Crazy. You can't convince me that climate change isn't real or happening. My personal experience aligns with the science.

Our rural firefighters are almost entirely volunteers. When we owned a 25 acre property we had a few bushfires go through. They can be terrifying after prolonged drought, on a ridge surrounded by bush (eucalypts leaves spiral when lit and can fly a long way). I remember a day of 45C heat with a gale blowing and smoke all around, just praying it wouldn't come our way. In our winter we often hear news stories of similar happening in the US, often California. Stay safe and prepared, fires are no joke.
No doubt. The climate changes. There are cycles. Sometimes more extreme than others.

Are people directly responsible for that? A lot of money is invested in this narrative. Is the science bought?

ManBearPig…doesn’t anyone watch South Park? Those episodes are 20+ yrs old…this storyline has been played a long time already.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
just a few links from an easy google search can answer that question for you Jericho,

thats just 2 , but it goes on and on and on ,
you cant buy that many scientists ...
At the moment the CO2 level is 411ppm and according to Ed Rosenthal that's good for plant growth.IPCC scientists want to lower the CO2 emissions and eventually CO2 level < 400 ppm.You can ask yourself what will that do for the plant growth.
EDF.org rules out the influence of the sun.The sun can be active in sunspots or falling asleep for quite sometime and then we have an new ice age.

Where I live they build big islands of windmills in the North Sea to get so-called sustainable energy, but what they don't mention is this
20220620_083642.jpg

Heavy metal pollution from windmills, aluminium, zinc, selenium thnx to corrosion.
20220812_112744.png

20220812_112702.jpg

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i think plants have been growing just fine with lower co2 levels wouldnt you mex?

and yea im also not convinced man has done much to tackle the problem with his renewable energy debacle,
but i still think we need to lower our emissions and the effects they are having on the planet ,
and work hard at coming up with something better than the current answers at producing cleaner energy ....

we are all adults here , surely we can agree man creates too much pollution that is not only bad for his own health ,
but the health of the planet he is living on , including all the plants and animals .... right???

h.h.

Veteran
If I was a corrupt scientist, I’d make fake food. There’s not much profit in making up fake stories, unless they provide an excuse for the corporate heads. Sure there are always some who will take advantage of any disaster or of any government program designed to help the people. We have solar salesmen and welfare cheats. These are nuances, not the norm. We throw out the bath water, not the baby.
“Man bear pig “ was South Park at its worst. It really wasn’t a true documentary. Kenny wasn’t really killed. He kept coming back.

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
just a few links from an easy google search can answer that question for you Jericho,

thats just 2 , but it goes on and on and on ,
you cant buy that many scientists ...
Environmental Defense Fund. An organization designed to collect your donations to fight a war for the environment.

896BC981-D476-4332-9649-CBA9D733093D.png

You donate? When I was a younger person I spent a summer fundraising for Greenpeace. At 35% commission. That was in 1993. Amazingly…human caused climate change…was not an environmental issue we canvassed our donors on. Was the science not up on it yet?….I mean since…it’s so obvious to everybody…that humans are the main cause to planetary destruction…you’d think…

…but no. Perhaps not.

Last edited:

Jericho Mile

Grinder
Veteran
If I was a corrupt scientist, I’d make fake food. There’s not much profit in making up fake stories, unless they provide an excuse for the corporate heads. Sure there are always some who will take advantage of any disaster or of any government program designed to help the people. We have solar salesmen and welfare cheats. These are nuances, not the norm. We throw out the bath water, not the baby.
“Man bear pig “ was South Park at its worst. It really wasn’t a true documentary. Kenny wasn’t really killed. He kept coming back.
….and it was fucking funny. At it’s worse? How?

It was funny in the same way as McDonald’s sponsoring the Covid vaccination program.

…but hey…a lot of people didn’t see the satire.

“Don’t Look Up”

Last edited: