What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Iranian Indica

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The Iranian Gene Pool has everything from Fat Wide Leaves to Skinny narrow ones... its diversity is off the charts

That's correct. Someone else i know from Iran told me that Cannabis was sold in the local pharmacies as medicine at the time he lived there.
Did you do an analyse from your pure Iranian variety?

Storm Shadow

Veteran
More Prime Time X Cookies

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

riddly

@Storm Shadow or anyone who can help me. I am going to Iran this autumn.
Does anybody know when it's harvest season at latitude 29N please?
More September or October?
My guess is more September.
thanks for sharing your info/knowledge

therevverend

Veteran
Someone is finally doing a genetic study of Iranian cannabis.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15816-5#Sec7

If the article is too long for you I'll summarize the important bits.
1. Iranian cannabis is closer to drug cannabis then hemp
2. Iranian cannabis is genetically unique
3. Hemp cultivars were probably derived from marijuana cultivars
4. Iranian strains are probably accessions that represent remnants of cultivated varieties from other regions. (Probably Afghanistan, Pakistan. That's not to say they're Affie or Pakie strains-they'd have reached Iran so long ago they're unique. And there's the possibility the ancestral populations in the region they came from have disappeared)
5. Iranian cannabis diversity is threatened by prohibition
6. Iranian cannabis varies on an East/West gradient

Looks like preserving Iranian genepools is very important. Especially from a drug/medical perspective.

therevverend

Veteran
The study I posted the link to above has me interested in the history of cannabis cultivation in Iran. Good information can be difficult to find but I'll give it a try. I have to credit Robert Connell Clarke as a huge source of information, not only his research but he's compiled a vast amount of source material on the subject. Much better then wikipedia..

Some of the earliest evidence in written form is in an ancient Zoroastrian text called the Zend Avesta that was supposedly written in 700 BC. Refers to cannabis as the 'good drug'.

Cannabis certainly was growing in Iran much earlier then this. The area of Iran just south of the Caspian Sea is one of the areas where it's likely truly wild cannabis grows. This would be a narrow leaf hemp variety. The Caucasus Mountains to the north and west of Iran are a likely source for Cannabis Sativa narrow leaf hemp varieties. From there they would have spread across Russia and Europe. And bred into the modern high fiber hemp strains.

The study states: These analyses support previous findings (Sawler et al.30) that marijuana and hemp are differentiated and identify Iranian collections as genetically more similar, yet distinct from, marijuana. This evidence provides support for the hypothesis that Iranian cannabis harbors unique genetic diversity and may represent a distinct genetic lineage of marijuana.

There's some generalization going on it seems like some of the samples were more similar to hemp, the majority more similar to 'marijuana', Cannabis Indica. In this context Cannabis Indica does not mean Cannabis Indica Afghanica but rather drug strains of cannabis high in THC and low in THC. From the Indian Subcontinent.

After the early Zoroastrian references to cannabis there's not much historical or written information until around 1100 CE. This is not because cannabis was unknown or unused by Iranians but it may have been uncommon or unfamiliar to Muslims until around 1100. Smoking was unknown in the Old World (except for a couple possible Ethiopian bongs) until the Columbian Exchange around 1500 CE. Before that cannabis was either eaten or possibly inhaled passively such as from burning incense or vaporizing on charcoal braziers.

Eating hashish gets you wasted for a very long time. Until the 16th century few were able to take the time out of their daily life besides Sufis, Sadhus, the very rich or the very poor. This is why Bhang made from cannabis leaves is the common form of ingestion instead of hashish. Historically bhang was also consumed in Iran I'm curious if this tradition lasts to this day.

We have the tale of Sheikh Haidar, an Iranian Sufi monk born in Nishapur. He was deep into God and had gathered disciples when he discovered the psychoactivity of the cannabis plant. He ate the leaves of the plant and discovered that life could be enjoyable and joyful and taught this to his disciples who spread it's use across Fars Province in SW Iran and beyond. This story is very similar to the story of how Shiva discovered the psychoactivity of cannabis and hints at the making of a bhang concoction.

Pilgrims would come from far and wide to seek the blessings of the Sufis of the order of Haidar and spread the use of the cannabis plant. Haidar died in 1221 AD. This is around the same time as the famous Hashishin legends out of Syria. Earlier in the 11th century Muslim clerics were debating the prohibition of hashish eating as it spread across Arabia.

The Romans were familiar with cannabis, Hebrew texts in the Talmud make reference to the euphoric properties of cannabis in the 6th century CE. You see the problem here? All these dates are contradictory.

If Sheikh Haidar introduced cannabis to Iranians why were Zoroastrians in Iran using cannabis 2000 years earlier? I'd think every few generations in Iran there's a new 'discovery' of cannabis much like Americans could believe cannabis was 'discovered' by hippies during the Summer of Love 1967. Plenty of accounts of the older generation smoking up in the 1930s.

I've found a reference from 1855 that describes collection of cannabis '...in Persia, hashish is collected by pressing the resinous plant on coarse cloths, and afterwards scraping the resin from these, and melting it in a little warm water.'

In Islamic regions hashish is almost always collecting by sieving. Collecting by hand, by leather or cloth, has been primarily practiced in Hindu and Buddhist areas of Nepal and Northern India. Undoubtedly hand collection predates sieving hashish, even a nomad can collect cannabis from wild plants without any special equipment or drying. This is evidence for the ancient origins of hashish making in the regions that practice it and I believe Iran can be thrown into the discussion. If you were hungry and collecting seeds by hand you'd also collect hash on your fingers.

There's a theory that sieving resin originated in the Middle East with hashish makers. They would have had the knowledge and means to do it and were familiar with various aromatic plants. Unfortunately there's no documentation or sieve cloths left so it's speculation. I'm guessing at a medieval date but it could be earlier or later.

Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi, (865-925 CE) known in the West as Rhazes was a great Persian physician who wrote a detailed description of therapeutic cannabis use. He was born and died in the Tehran area. Cannabis is mentioned in a number of Persian and Arabic medieval medical works probably copied from pre-Islamic sources. Likely Roman, Greek, and Egyptian but I'd love to see some Sassanian or Parthian sources on cannabis.

I'm only tipping the iceberg of this info but this is getting long. I'm guessing cannabis in ancient Persia was very common. I've been focusing on the drug aspect not the fiber and seed aspect which is a huge mistake. Drug, fiber, seed, are all integrated into cultural life from religion to medicine to clothing to boat building and almost anything else you can imagine from Britain to Japan for thousands of years.

riddly

The study I posted the link to above has me interested in the history of cannabis cultivation in Iran. Good information can be difficult to find but I'll give it a try. I have to credit Robert Connell Clarke as a huge source of information, not only his research but he's compiled a vast amount of source material on the subject. Much better then wikipedia..

Some of the earliest evidence in written form is in an ancient Zoroastrian text called the Zend Avesta that was supposedly written in 700 BC. Refers to cannabis as the 'good drug'.

Cannabis certainly was growing in Iran much earlier then this. The area of Iran just south of the Caspian Sea is one of the areas where it's likely truly wild cannabis grows. This would be a narrow leaf hemp variety. The Caucasus Mountains to the north and west of Iran are a likely source for Cannabis Sativa narrow leaf hemp varieties. From there they would have spread across Russia and Europe. And bred into the modern high fiber hemp strains.

The study states: These analyses support previous findings (Sawler et al.30) that marijuana and hemp are differentiated and identify Iranian collections as genetically more similar, yet distinct from, marijuana. This evidence provides support for the hypothesis that Iranian cannabis harbors unique genetic diversity and may represent a distinct genetic lineage of marijuana.

There's some generalization going on it seems like some of the samples were more similar to hemp, the majority more similar to 'marijuana', Cannabis Indica. In this context Cannabis Indica does not mean Cannabis Indica Afghanica but rather drug strains of cannabis high in THC and low in THC. From the Indian Subcontinent.

After the early Zoroastrian references to cannabis there's not much historical or written information until around 1100 CE. This is not because cannabis was unknown or unused by Iranians but it may have been uncommon or unfamiliar to Muslims until around 1100. Smoking was unknown in the Old World (except for a couple possible Ethiopian bongs) until the Columbian Exchange around 1500 CE. Before that cannabis was either eaten or possibly inhaled passively such as from burning incense or vaporizing on charcoal braziers.

Eating hashish gets you wasted for a very long time. Until the 16th century few were able to take the time out of their daily life besides Sufis, Sadhus, the very rich or the very poor. This is why Bhang made from cannabis leaves is the common form of ingestion instead of hashish. Historically bhang was also consumed in Iran I'm curious if this tradition lasts to this day.

We have the tale of Sheikh Haidar, an Iranian Sufi monk born in Nishapur. He was deep into God and had gathered disciples when he discovered the psychoactivity of the cannabis plant. He ate the leaves of the plant and discovered that life could be enjoyable and joyful and taught this to his disciples who spread it's use across Fars Province in SW Iran and beyond. This story is very similar to the story of how Shiva discovered the psychoactivity of cannabis and hints at the making of a bhang concoction.

Pilgrims would come from far and wide to seek the blessings of the Sufis of the order of Haidar and spread the use of the cannabis plant. Haidar died in 1221 AD. This is around the same time as the famous Hashishin legends out of Syria. Earlier in the 11th century Muslim clerics were debating the prohibition of hashish eating as it spread across Arabia.

The Romans were familiar with cannabis, Hebrew texts in the Talmud make reference to the euphoric properties of cannabis in the 6th century CE. You see the problem here? All these dates are contradictory.

If Sheikh Haidar introduced cannabis to Iranians why were Zoroastrians in Iran using cannabis 2000 years earlier? I'd think every few generations in Iran there's a new 'discovery' of cannabis much like Americans could believe cannabis was 'discovered' by hippies during the Summer of Love 1967. Plenty of accounts of the older generation smoking up in the 1930s.

I've found a reference from 1855 that describes collection of cannabis '...in Persia, hashish is collected by pressing the resinous plant on coarse cloths, and afterwards scraping the resin from these, and melting it in a little warm water.'

In Islamic regions hashish is almost always collecting by sieving. Collecting by hand, by leather or cloth, has been primarily practiced in Hindu and Buddhist areas of Nepal and Northern India. Undoubtedly hand collection predates sieving hashish, even a nomad can collect cannabis from wild plants without any special equipment or drying. This is evidence for the ancient origins of hashish making in the regions that practice it and I believe Iran can be thrown into the discussion. If you were hungry and collecting seeds by hand you'd also collect hash on your fingers.

There's a theory that sieving resin originated in the Middle East with hashish makers. They would have had the knowledge and means to do it and were familiar with various aromatic plants. Unfortunately there's no documentation or sieve cloths left so it's speculation. I'm guessing at a medieval date but it could be earlier or later.

Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi, (865-925 CE) known in the West as Rhazes was a great Persian physician who wrote a detailed description of therapeutic cannabis use. He was born and died in the Tehran area. Cannabis is mentioned in a number of Persian and Arabic medieval medical works probably copied from pre-Islamic sources. Likely Roman, Greek, and Egyptian but I'd love to see some Sassanian or Parthian sources on cannabis.

I'm only tipping the iceberg of this info but this is getting long. I'm guessing cannabis in ancient Persia was very common. I've been focusing on the drug aspect not the fiber and seed aspect which is a huge mistake. Drug, fiber, seed, are all integrated into cultural life from religion to medicine to clothing to boat building and almost anything else you can imagine from Britain to Japan for thousands of years.

Thank you for your comment

therevverend: ... Iranian cannabis harbors unique genetic diversity and may represent a distinct genetic lineage of marijuana

riddly: absolutely true. been there. saw t with my own eyes. the statement is true as far our eyes have witnessed. They ar eindeed distinct, diverse
wild undomesticated expressing many expressions (phenotypes) both in structure and leaf shape and colours.

therevverend: ... some of the samples were more similar to hemp, the majority more similar to 'marijuana'. Cannabis Indica. In this context Cannabis Indica does not
mean Cannabis Indica Afghanica but rather drug strains of cannabis high in THC and low in THC.

riddly: true, some were similar (but not same) to hemp some others to "marijuana" but not necessarily indica in shape. we have seen also lanky tall plants with
classic sativa shape/structure and also smoke-wise. For example we sampled a flower in the north east of Iran and only after 2-3 puffs not only we were as high as high
as a kite but we were laughing for a long time and not only us, also the locals. It reminded us very much of a sample we had in Vietnam where we laughed for hours.

therevverend: ... Historically bhang was also consumed in Iran I'm curious if this tradition lasts to this day.

riddly: if you mean bhang as in bhang lassi cnsumed by the indians, the answeer is no. we have not seen locals consuming bhang (leaves, flowers etc) in milk or
yoghurt. But they make really strong hashish which they call with names such as "chars", garde' (powder), hash or hashish etc.

therevverend: I've found a reference from 1855 that describes collection of cannabis '...in Persia, hashish is collected by pressing the resinous plant on
coarse cloths, and afterwards scraping the resin from these, and melting it in a little warm water.'

riddly: absolutely true. this practice still used these days. we have witnessed this with our own eyes. once the material is secured/tightly tied and pressed inside
the cloth (finely knitted) they slam it down on a slick/smooth surface such as marble for example. They were also talking about sewage/waste waters to extract the
resin but we didn't quite understand what they meant by those words and neither did they show that other method to us.

therevverend: ... I'm guessing cannabis in ancient Persia was very common.

riddly: you are right. we asked and everybody said that it was not only comming but also an ancient tradition. hemp/cannabis is a staple food in Iran and is legal
to cultivate it for seed production NOT for recreational purposes.

therevverend

Veteran
Riddly, did you notice strains specifically bred for seed production? Besides humans in Iran hemp seed are fed to male birds during breeding season to increase vigor and migratory birds are said to be attracted to hemp seed fields at harvest time. Iran being on the bird migration route from Russia to Africa.

In China and Korea there are strains specifically bred for seed production. Both for humans, livestock, and oil. I've seen pictures of the seeds they're huge compared to normal cannabis seeds. They're given much more space then hemp when planted to develop branching and flower structure and are wide leaf Indica type plants. Wondering if you saw anything similar in Iran.

One other note on hemp seed, it's been shown that the high protein and oil content will boost egg production when used in chicken feed. To quote a 17th century English poet:

'And say, O Hemp-seed, how art thou forgotten by many poets dead and rotten?'

No idea what that's suppose to mean..

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Rev I like the info u posted in here...but please leave the Riddly out of here... He's full of shit IMO and hes not gonna piggy back on here pushing his Trash

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Stormie

What are your plans for the Iranian ?
You have been flaunting it for how many years now bro ?

You know that if you release it , it could be repro ed and or it will be crossed to every thing .
Then its not exclusive anymore .

Can`t sell or share it for fear of copies . Can only show pix . Sounds sysiphean ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Storm Shadow

Veteran
The knowledge Ive acquired in working with these genetics.... Its what Im all about....

Student of the game bro.... Im not in this to make money... I serve a different purpose