What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Hunza... landrace 100% indica from Pakistan.

JDOG6000

Veteran
Heres a pic of one seedlings I got going.
Not much to look at now.
But you can see how kushy the leaves look.
I'll update in this thread for now on.

I'll be making F2's and hybrids with these seeds.
All my breeder friends will recieve seeds as well once they are ready.
You know who you are!

Last edited:

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
:woohoo: that's great to see some Hunza grow report ! These genes have been around for two years now and it's the second grow report I see.
I think you should prepare yourself to get something quite different than usual Kush stuff.
Can't be called Hindu Kush or Kush in anyway, for they come from another important mountain range.
And they are really different as well. Haven't seen anything close to that in the Hindu Kush actually. Fat, massive plants (even small plants had something "monstruous"). First time I saw them, for a moment I really wondered if I really saw what I thought I had seen. very special strain I think.
I have seen three different main phenos in Hunza valley. One with a main bud structure, 4-5 feet tall, very thick trunk, little side branching.
second is about same size, same thick trunk, but more branchy.
Other one was shaped like a huge ball, put on a "tee". About 6-8feet tall start of flowering.
Here are a few in their homeland:

Irie !

zamalito

Veteran
Glad to see you started this thread jdog. I plan to watch this one closely. Mriko, what can you tell us about the specifics of the resin collecting techniques? I'm really excited about this thread. Those pictures are crazy! It looks like the background was cut and pasted on to the foreground.

Last edited:
G

I think you should prepare yourself to get something quite different than usual Kush stuff.
Can't be called Hindu Kush or Kush in anyway, for they come from another important mountain range.
And they are really different as well. Haven't seen anything close to that in the Hindu Kush actually. Fat, massive plants (even small plants had something "monstruous"). First time I saw them, for a moment I really wondered if I really saw what I thought I had seen. very special strain I think.

Wow, great news!

Have lost track of many of these in the community. This one is a special one for sure and a important line for the future. Hope you can make more seeds via a open pollination. Be good to sprout all the seeds you have to do so. We are doing the same with Mriko's Hunza this year to increase seed stock to a 'preservation' amount for long term storage and sharing.

Excellant work JDOG! good luck with the grow!

Peace, hhf

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Mriko, what can you tell us about the specifics of the resin collecting techniques?

Alas not a lot. During my stay in Hunza (august) I was on the "wrong" side of hte valley, that one were hash smoking is really frowned upon by most, they grow for seeds (still I doubt that all the resin is thrown away...). Obviously it's sieving, but all depends on which kind of cloth they use. can go from silk thread, to rough potato sack... Still I met some other travellers who had smoked before some local buds and had only good thing to say about it.
I was back from a very exhausting 2 weeks stay in some high valley, and was totaly unable to go around alas. I even had the seeds brought to me by a local friend !
Should be back there next summer for more research.

Irie !

G

hello all, i have been kindley given some hunza and plan to try and preserve this strain for future generations also, ill keep you all posted on how things pan out.j

JDOG6000

Veteran
Looks like Hunzas lurking around in the shadows.
I'll be making lots of seeds as well.
I just started germinating my last 4 seeds.
Because I only ended up with 3 out of 5 healthy seedlings from the first batch.
The other 2 wouldn't come out of there shell.
They would open but seemed stuck inside.
I tryed to help them real carfully.
But I couldn't without breaking the tops off.
Which is what happened to one.

Not expecting anything like Kush.
I've read alot about this area.
Your threads and other articals and stuff.
Lots of variation in those mountains from what I've read.
Every valley is like a new strain, right?

I'l be making lots of F2's to preserve for the future.
Not sure about open pollination.
I was going to pick the best mom and pollinate her with all the dads.
I got lots of strains going at once.
Like 10.
Here's another seedling...

Have you guys read about the ancient Hash plants that were way bigger then afghani indica's. Like 5-6 foot plants that were meant for hash making.
Is this what they were talking about?
These mountain strains?

Last edited:

mriko

Green Mujaheed
Veteran
Have you guys read about the ancient Hash plants that were way bigger then afghani indica's. Like 5-6 foot plants that were meant for hash making.

Actually Hindu Kush/Afghani Indicas can be much taller than is generally thought. Mazar e sharif plants in their homeland easily reach well above 6 feet, and up to 9.
In Hunza, tallest were the ball shaped ones. Look at the pics in the post before. THe last one, is that fat bally pheno (not my pic, doesn't give justice to the plant)
Strains from Yarkhun (famous place for hash) as well can get quite big. The plants I took seeds from (at 3000 meters elevation) were not more than 4 feet tall, back home I thought I would get roughly same size. nay... not less than 6 feet, and up to 10 ! And I kept them in pot during first 7 weeks, thinking it would keep them low... pfah !

Here some pics of Yarkhun I grew in 2003 (see the white chair left side ?)

Irie !

Last edited:

JDOG6000

Veteran
Holy Cow!!!
I see now.
I guess dutch breeders just focused on the smaller indicas for indoor growing. It makes sence that they would stretch less up on a mountian.
Where it is closer to the sun. Ussually that makes for a smaller yield of real frosty potent buds. From the UV's IMO.
I like my plants to have a good stretch indoors though.
I hate when a strain doesn't stretch ,like Bubba Kush.
Too much veg time needed. But if it's worth it,it's worth it.
The way I look at it.
Is sativas and indicas take around the same amount of time all together.
Not landrace strains but hybrids. If your waiting for the sativas to finish flower but only had to veg for a week thats the same amount of time as if you vegged an indica for 3-4 weeks then flowered for 8-9.
Anyway,thats off topic.
Those big indicas are a sight to see.
Can't wait to see which Hunza pheno's I get.
I hope I get the big ball on a tee pheno.lol

Last edited:

KingRalph

awesome sights to see, thanks for sharin the info n pics mriko... certainly gives us a much better insight to the region's vast wealth of genes... will be watchin out of pure curiousity JDOG... veg can be just as interesting to watch for some of us ;) thanks for sharin the looks to the boards guys, peace

C

Chamba

if you happen to get some of these seeds from the mountains via generous Mriko , please take the time to open pollenate the first 20 seeds, grow out the next generation of seeds, then select well, make more seed, test again if it's got great traits..then... spread those seeds around to other growers who can hybridize them with their faves

this is the way!

and then triple sift the buds of course!

JDOG6000

Veteran
Thanks Chamba, thats what I'll do.
I'm gonna collect polline from each male and mix them together.
Then i'll pollinate one top bud on each female. Maybe the cola so I can smoke the rest of the plant.
King Ralph..
I spend just as much time looking at my veg plants as I do looking at my flowering plants. I pretty much live in my gardens. So there will be lots of pic's.

CharasMan

I've smoked smoke paki and afghani buds while I was visiting Bengal India, as well as Bangladesh. The buds were superior in quality to anything else there, lots of resin, very dense and good potency. You could tell those paki buds a part from the indian sativas which were pretty fluffy and didn't have much resin at all. The pakis on the other hand just looked the weed you find in the states and europe.

Good luck, Jdog6000. You seem like a true stoner and I think you'll bring out this thing's full potential.