What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

How to bring terps and essential oils out on a strain?

Chi13

ICMag Donor
This is just anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but I think my terpenes have improved a lot since the addition of bokashi into my mix and diluted bokashi water (teas).

Dosha420

So i was talking to someone who lives in Cali and he claims that some people out there have a way to bring out terps and essential oils on a strain. I told him sure, its gotta be either bottled terpene booster, freeze drying the weed or organics and he said it wasnt.
Any idea of what else it could be?
Camomile tea alongside Japanese giant knotweed tea. I use them together ❤️

taigatajga

View attachment 19078843 View attachment 19078844
View attachment 19078845
I'm starting a project I've been working on for 3 years now, starting a Nettle patch in my yard, then harvesting enough for fermented plant juice. Nettle has most of the macro/micro nutrients at ratios cannabis likes, easily absorbed via foliar and roots. Also makes great salad and teas.
Love nettles and have a patch in my yard as well. Recently came across some info that Nettles are a natural host of HLVd and have been a little wary about using them now.

little-soldier

This is just anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but I think my terpenes have improved a lot since the addition of bokashi into my mix and diluted bokashi water (teas).
gotta try that and that whole thing about low temps so the terpenes dont evaporate in flower doesnt really make sense because when you spark a joint the weed gets hot and all terpenes would evaporate before your next puff

gotta try that and that whole thing about low temps so the terpenes dont evaporate in flower doesnt really make sense because when you spark a joint the weed gets hot and all terpenes would evaporate before your next puff

Another interesting topic is DLI during flower. If you don't supplement with Co2 keep your dli in flower at about 35 which is about 800ppf. At Co2 levels below 800ppm cannabis can't utilize more light. Fresh air has about 400ppm. So as long as you don't supplement or have your tent in your living room were you generate Co2 it's a waste and stresses the plant.

Conclusion:
We have shown an immense plasticity for cannabis to respond to increasing LI; in terms of morphology, physiology (over time), and yield. The temporal dynamics in cannabis leaf acclimations to LI have also been explored, addressing some knowledge-gaps in relating cannabis photosynthesis to yield. The results also indicate that the relationship between LI and cannabis yield does not saturate within the practical limits of LI used in indoor production. Increasing LI also increased harvest index and the size and density of the apical inflorescence; both markers for increasing quality. However, there were no and minor LI treatment effects on potency of cannabinoids and terpenes, respectively. This means that growers may be able to vastly increase yields by increasing LI but maintain a relatively consistent secondary metabolite profile in their marketable products. Ultimately, the selection of the economic optimum canopy-level LI for a given commercial production system depends on many interrelated factors.

Yield will increase from 600 to 1000ppf in flower by 1.5 to 1.6 so it is worth running it on the edge of what the plant can utilize but not to stress it. You might not reach the 1.5 at 800ppf but it is worth it.

Results:
As LI increased from 600 to 1,000 μmol m–2 s–1, FWf and DWf increased by 1.5 and 1.6, times, respectively (Table 2). Compared to the 600 μmol m–2 s–1 control treatment, there were no UV spectrum treatment effects on any aboveground biomass metrics.

Lowering the ppf further when the buds don't increase in volume anymore will speed up the ripining of the trichomes. Can't find the paper right now but if I can find it in my cloud I will add that as well.

Pictured plants are Mephisto Genetics autoflower that run at a dli of 38 through flower which equals about 600ppf at 18/6. Measures were taken on the hight of the tip of the main cola. The size of the buds is decent I would say. Got about 90g per plant dry.

Attachments

• 20240703_151946(0).jpg
    20240703_151946(0).jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I have to get some of my moms bokashi juice for the next grow. Thanks for reminding me.

little-soldier

Another interesting topic is DLI during flower. If you don't supplement with Co2 keep your dli in flower at about 35 which is about 800ppf. At Co2 levels below 800ppm cannabis can't utilize more light. Fresh air has about 400ppm. So as long as you don't supplement or have your tent in your living room were you generate Co2 it's a waste and stresses the plant.

Conclusion:
We have shown an immense plasticity for cannabis to respond to increasing LI; in terms of morphology, physiology (over time), and yield. The temporal dynamics in cannabis leaf acclimations to LI have also been explored, addressing some knowledge-gaps in relating cannabis photosynthesis to yield. The results also indicate that the relationship between LI and cannabis yield does not saturate within the practical limits of LI used in indoor production. Increasing LI also increased harvest index and the size and density of the apical inflorescence; both markers for increasing quality. However, there were no and minor LI treatment effects on potency of cannabinoids and terpenes, respectively. This means that growers may be able to vastly increase yields by increasing LI but maintain a relatively consistent secondary metabolite profile in their marketable products. Ultimately, the selection of the economic optimum canopy-level LI for a given commercial production system depends on many interrelated factors.

Yield will increase from 600 to 1000ppf in flower by 1.5 to 1.6 so it is worth running it on the edge of what the plant can utilize but not to stress it. You might not reach the 1.5 at 800ppf but it is worth it.

Results:
As LI increased from 600 to 1,000 μmol m–2 s–1, FWf and DWf increased by 1.5 and 1.6, times, respectively (Table 2). Compared to the 600 μmol m–2 s–1 control treatment, there were no UV spectrum treatment effects on any aboveground biomass metrics.

Lowering the ppf further when the buds don't increase in volume anymore will speed up the ripining of the trichomes. Can't find the paper right now but if I can find it in my cloud I will add that as well.

Pictured plants are Mephisto Genetics autoflower that run at a dli of 38 through flower which equals about 600ppf at 18/6. Measures were taken on the hight of the tip of the main cola. The size of the buds is decent I would say. Got about 90g per plant dry.
interesting, i never grew with CO2 but everyone i know who does have super compact buds compared to me. thats why i never use bud boosters. They just dont work. what i found to work for bud size is VPD but can't find anything to make my buds compact like with CO2.