What's new

Green Mountain Seeds distribution agreement with ACE Seeds

vermontman

Well Christmas is over!
Stuffed to the gills here, so tomorrow is another day, but I just had to post pics of my home grown crayfish, as my belly is more than full, nothing like growing your own! Very satisfied. Hope all out there got to enjoy the holiday as best as they can!

127_2692.JPG
127_2697.JPG

Last edited:

ilovegrowing

Beautiful crayfish vermontman! I bet they are super tasty. Do you breed them as well? :)

If you dont do anything with the shells after the feast, think about making a crayfish butter. French kitchen origine. Its fantastic! For easy fast sauces and soups.

Just stirfry the shells in a bit of cooking oil for a bit, add mirepoix (celery onion, carrot leek) fry a bit, add a bit tomatopaste, fry a bit, add a pack of butter, and a bayleaf, turn heat on low and let it simmer for about an hour. After that you can strain it, or mix it to a paste, if you have a powerful blender, but better take the bay leaf out before.
Fill it in sterilised glasses, (or sterilize the filled glasses after the filling in a waterbath, low heat about 60 min, if you want to keep it longer) and store it in the fridge.

Bon appetit

vermontman

Beautiful crayfish vermontman! I bet they are super tasty. Do you breed them as well? :)

If you dont do anything with the shells after the feast, think about making a crayfish butter. French kitchen origine. Its fantastic! For easy fast sauces and soups.

Just stirfry the shells in a bit of cooking oil for a bit, add mirepoix (celery onion, carrot leek) fry a bit, add a bit tomatopaste, fry a bit, add a pack of butter, and a bayleaf, turn heat on low and let it simmer for about an hour. After that you can strain it, or mix it to a paste, if you have a powerful blender, but better take the bay leaf out before.
Fill it in sterilised glasses, (or sterilize the filled glasses after the filling in a waterbath, low heat about 60 min, if you want to keep it longer) and store it in the fridge.

Bon appetit
Greetings @ilovegrowing!
Thank you! Yes I do breed the Australian Red Claw Crayfish. It take about two years to get the male up to 1/4 Lb and the females are slightly smaller.
I started with about a dozen blue green juveniles from one vendor on Ebay, then to keep the genetics from bottle necking I purchased another 12 Juvies from a different vendor that were a bright orange form of this same species, These were kept in two separate 30 gallon fish tanks. Then I purchased 30 from a fish farm online in Nevada those were also kept, separate in their own tank. It was good I kept them separated because the last batch of 30 started off with some casualties which is understandable do to new water conditions and of course the stress of being moved. Over the next 6 months the tank of 30 dwindled down to three then 2. I started doing some research and it seems that batch was infected with a form of Parvo that Red claw and other crustaceans have been known to
effect so the last one got thrown out with the bath water.
But the others in their two tanks grew beautifully. I moved them for summer out into one of my 300 gallon guppy pond. but kept three pairs in separate Aquariums indoors, to learn their growth and breeding behaviors. Once the get going they lay up to 1000 eggs every month or so the females carry under their tales. After two years I tasted one and almost as good as lobster! I was so taken by that and the fact they grew so fast and multiplies so readily I invested in a 800 gallon kids pool. And in they went. Because they are cannibalistic The pool was filled with hiding places 3 inch X 8 inch diam PVC hotels, rolled up balls of bird netting Trays of rocks and so on also added was two large aerator disks.
Bellow orange female shedding her shell as she grows, and eating her own shell for calcium.

126_7364.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 126.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 127.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 126.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 127.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 128.JPG
AUSTRALIA WINTER 129.JPG

126_7364.JPG

Last edited:

vermontman

Orange and green form of Red claw crayfish
The males have the red stripe on their edge of the claw, hence the name Red claw.
And a clutch of orange young about 3 months old.
And the final Crayfish pool were they were all mixed and continue to grow, Though the Orange form is mostly gone being bred out also they were not as strong a grower and never got quite as big, their genes are still in the mix.

BABY ORANGE CRAYFISH 005.JPG

ORANGE REDCLAW CRAYFISH 051.JPG

GREEN AUSTRALIAN CRAYFISH 010.JPG

ORANGE REDCLAW CRAYFISH 038.JPG
GREEN AUSTRALIAN CRAYFISH 016.JPG
GREEN AUSTRALIAN CRAYFISH 018.JPG
127_2704.JPG
127_2706.JPG

Last edited:

vermontman

Yum looks dandy bro! With a glass of cooled Fresh white wine.
Bon appetit 👍🏼
Hello @420empire!
Thank you buddy! That does sound sound refreshing, Bourbon drinker here! HAHA
@ilovegrowing That does sound delectable But unfortunately I took the lazy man way out after an eve sharing food and drink with our neighbor friends. I actually did know that fun fact and the closest insect resemblance I can think of are grass hoppers.
Thank you all for sharing!

I Care

Wondering if you have any outdoor breeding coming along through this El Niño, not specifically anything new. If your seeds are local I would really like to use them, especially after this wild year. Green Mountain is what caught my attention. Fresh water lobster pics were quite the bonus. :plant grow:

ilovegrowing

Wow!! Thats fantastic! :D

Im really impressed! Seems like the act of breeding is a favourite thing of yours and not just related to cannabis, or even plants. Im curios now, may i ask what else are you breeding with?

It sounds maybe a bit big but i think people like you are so worthy and needed for us as a whole human species on the planet.
Especially in this crazy capitalist world we live in, where we fuck everything up. We achieved so much with breeding already, and there is still so much to explore!

Im happy that you do what you do and im lifting my imaginary sombrero to you mr. @vermontman

And thx for the crayfish breeding story. Its so funny to read tons of breeding stories here about cannabis varieties and then suddenly read something with such a similar systematic, but its a totally different species.. beautiful!

vermontman

Wondering if you have any outdoor breeding coming along through this El Niño, not specifically anything new. If your seeds are local I would really like to use them, especially after this wild year. Green Mountain is what caught my attention. Fresh water lobster pics were quite the bonus. :plant grow:
MY two strains that I grew last season which was one of the two worst grow seasons ever, were the Green Mountain Grape and Zacatecas tribute Both came through with very respectful harvest. I suspect the Purple Satellite would have been just fine also but I not sure how the Mountain Gold would have done seeing she is a later bloomer but all have been developed at a higher altitude in Vermont over many years.
I hope that helps! Also Green Mountain seeds are available through North Atlantic seed co in the US and in many European countries through ACE seeds,
CHEERS and Thank you!

vermontman

Wow!! Thats fantastic! :D

Im really impressed! Seems like the act of breeding is a favourite thing of yours and not just related to cannabis, or even plants. Im curios now, may i ask what else are you breeding with?

It sounds maybe a bit big but i think people like you are so worthy and needed for us as a whole human species on the planet.
Especially in this crazy capitalist world we live in, where we fuck everything up. We achieved so much with breeding already, and there is still so much to explore!

Im happy that you do what you do and im lifting my imaginary sombrero to you mr. @vermontman

And thx for the crayfish breeding story. Its so funny to read tons of breeding stories here about cannabis varieties and then suddenly read something with such a similar systematic, but its a totally different species.. beautiful!
Wow @ilovegrowing thank you for your appreciation and kind words I also breed guppies I have a half black red strain that is pretty ok But my favorite strain is a multi red Spanish dancer variety I developed over the yeas. I also do mushroom work in my small lab and I used to breed and hybridize hardy native orchids and did quite a bit of hybrid work on those for many years, many were shipped internationally. I also grow a lot of my food organically. Were I winter here is tropical so I can grow these Australian crayfish, dwarf red Thai papaya varieties I grew from seeds, three varieties of banana and one large avocado three I grafted three different varieties onto.
The last pic was one shelf in my Korean King trumpet mushroom farm I used to grow and supply to restaurants and at a stand in a local farmers market back up north. I also tried my hand at chickens but I wasn't in one place long enough to keep that running.
I still also grow a lot of orchids. These I don't breed I just have a collection.

127_1756.JPG
127_1759.JPG
127_1819.JPG

127_2623.JPG
127_2624.JPG
127_2626.JPG
127_2625.JPG
127_2635.JPG
127_1862.JPG
014.JPG

Last edited:

420empire

Veteran
Thats the life brother ! Huge respect. I 'am on the same path, but not the same level. High north, gonna inoculate the fortgcomming spring, thinking shitakii , Lions Maine. Doing preservation with local "landrace" chicken, it dates back to the vikings..
Would love to do crayfish ouside in open ponds. We cant do hybrids crayfish cause we already have a invasive one from US, signal crayfish.

ilovegrowing

Ouhhh all that looks terrific!
I love these mushrooms!! They are great sliced, just fried in a pan with some salt. One of my favourites for cooking. Id like to do some mushroom work, but i d need a designated area for that. Dont have that and dint want to do it in my living space cause of the spores atm.

But maybe some infected wood logs somewhere outside this year with oyster mushrooms. that worked great at a friend of mine.

I bet all the fruits and avocados taste amazing! Im not so much into orchids, but i think thats because ive not been much around them. Pretty abundand flowers. Do they smell different, strainwise? Like cannabis does but way more floral?

I really like the prozess of creating new stuff out of stuff that is already there. Its somehow exiting and enternaining. But im far away of being a beeeder of anything. Just some pollenchucks, which were very fun and taking seeds of food plants to saw them the next year.

What is your Reason for your desire of being a breeder? And are there some general rules or approaches you could give as a tip for a newbie like me.. :)

Thx for all the stories and pix

vermontman

Thats the life brother ! Huge respect. I 'am on the same path, but not the same level. High north, gonna inoculate the fortgcomming spring, thinking shitakii , Lions Maine. Doing preservation with local "landrace" chicken, it dates back to the vikings..
Would love to do crayfish ouside in open ponds. We cant do hybrids crayfish cause we already have a invasive one from US, signal crayfish.
Thank you @420empire!
Its been many years in the making, I used to work dare I say it!? UUGGHH in the defense industry and I hated every minute of it! But it allowed me the income to get into my passions and earn an income doing sometimes very fiscally meager, but rewarding in it's own ways. I think it is terrific to nurture things to grow, especially with what we have done to our sad environment. I believe I read about the signal crayfish being invasive in England? I may be wrong.

Cheers! Thank you Mr. Vermontman!
You are most welcome!

420empire

Veteran
Just dare.🤗 I hate war and military doctrines, but in the other hand i like freedom too.
Look what that prick putin is doing! He is mentally fuckt up. So yes sir I appreciate himars, Storm shadow, atacms, Abrahams, Tigers, Cesare, etc. I would love a World in peace, but the sad true is greed is still thriveing... and all these people calling them self believer in Christ... wtf. Have the understood the 10 commands ? I think they live after the fallen Engels commands...
And fyi i work in big AG in science sector, taken care of plants experiments. I have some disabilities regarding still sitting work, so have to do "blue collard" work. And we all gonna eat brother. I would ofcourse Iove to live off permaculture so I hope I can jump on that wagon in few Years.
Well , back on topic. Yes the brits have em too. They kill Everything in Our stream, but they should taste good. Gonna go catch some soon , invasive so free hunti 😉

vermontman

Just dare.🤗 I hate war and military doctrines, but in the other hand i like freedom too.
Look what that prick putin is doing! He is mentally fuckt up. So yes sir I appreciate himars, Storm shadow, atacms, Abrahams, Tigers, Cesare, etc. I would love a World in peace, but the sad true is greed is still thriveing... and all these people calling them self believer in Christ... wtf. Have the understood the 10 commands ? I think they live after the fallen Engels commands...
And fyi i work in big AG in science sector, taken care of plants experiments. I have some disabilities regarding still sitting work, so have to do "blue collard" work. And we all gonna eat brother. I would ofcourse Iove to live off permaculture so I hope I can jump on that wagon in few Years.
Well , back on topic. Yes the brits have em too. They kill Everything in Our stream, but they should taste good. Gonna go catch some soon , invasive so free hunti 😉
Hello @420empire!
I totally agree with all your assessments! There is unfortunately a lot of mind F in our world. It just seems we as humans could have done a whole lot better.
And as for food its harder to grow anything these days with the dramatic weather every where. I don't really see how big Ag. is going to keep up with all our food needs. I feel a bit less vulnerable being able to grow a lot of my own food, but that is getting a bit tougher also. Any way hope you catch many crays to fill your pot!!
CHEERS!

sgka

Veteran
Week 6 flower. MG females 1 and 11 like to stretch! MG female 5 is much shorter with a more columnar structure. She's not getting as much light with the height difference. I'll be running them separately next time around.

GMG are all uniform in height, some with "better" structure in my mind (single large colas).

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6512.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6514.jpeg
    IMG_6514.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6513.jpeg
    IMG_6513.jpeg