What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Gorilla Glue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I think that would bring a crush of unnecessary regulators and only really be good for the testing companies that everyone would be mandated to use...

oversight would be impossible... expensive... and a guaranteed clusterfuck.

I'd think it would benefit only a very small select few.

especially when patent troll lawyers effectively hobble all breeding...

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I think the idea is not in regulators via the state, but the official 420-brah-vetting.com seal of approval.

Like the scientific version of a thumbs up on Yelp?

Edit: "Yes, that was actually chicken. It was not dog you ate for dinner."

gh0st9

Veteran
I mean it would help cut down on 5 dollar dispo "og" clones that are anything but... Shit it would help cut down on so much proliferation of shitty cuts. But with the case of many cuts, alot of the "owners" or originators of the cut are fine being underground, or in black market states or the origin is so murky, who is the one that gets the credit?

ya, take the rule book straight from the Monsanto lawyers who crafted proprietary seed laws.

Where are the rules the Monsanto lawyers crafted for seed laws? Most of the laws that would affect this have only been written in the past 100 or so years, and Monsanto wasnt around then.

What does this have to do with clones? The seed law covers seeds, not clones. This is a different type of legislation as this doesnt cover seeds, but mother plants.

:) Good convo. :)

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Having a patent is one thing... getting PAID for the patent is something else. I am working with an organization, 420CLONES.org that is promoting to lobbiests to craft legislation to have only lab tested, certified clones sold in any retail establishment.

In many conversations off line with MarDogg, one of the big "thorns in his side" was the fact that those who grow the best of the best, never get a dime. If the legislation goes through, so that all lab tested clones must be certified and those who own the original motherplant to that clone be given a clone patent. Every time one of the clones from that patent is sold, a fee must go back to the patent owner.

By doing so, Josey Wales would be very financially well off from GG4, there would have NEVER been able to have had anything bad said about all the cuts, because all cuts that would go through any event would have to be certified as well, so no one would have gotten fakes.

Its a win/win for both the grower and the end user. At least, thats what I think. So.. I thought I would ask the membership at large.. what do you think about this? Would this work to protect the rights of the original mother owner? Is this good, or would this be good, legislation?

:tumbleweed:

I was thinking about that the other day, for JW's site gorillaglue4.com

It would be licensing. He would verify the authenticity, and they would send back a percent of gross or profits. Could also charge an initial fee, for certifying them.

Biggest problem is it would need to be honor system, unless dispensaries need to keep records of everything sold.

I mean it would help cut down on 5 dollar dispo "og" clones that are anything but... Shit it would help cut down on so much proliferation of shitty cuts. But with the case of many cuts, alot of the "owners" or originators of the cut are fine being underground, or in black market states or the origin is so murky, who is the one that gets the credit?

Underground is shady. In states where it is recreational, this is a legal market. Although Joseys strain has been bastardized, sold and in other ways mislined, the point of this is... that would NOT happen again. It doesnt mean that all the past people who have grow ****s will get grandfather rights, unless of course it can be proven YOU are the grower.

Having strains be tested would only cover all new strains, without any grandfather rights. Strains that have a "community knowledge" of who actually grew the strains could be added into the strain list, but not anything murky.

Im not sure how to write legislature that would cover strains that are "community known" to have been from one grower or another.. leave that to the lobbiests. :)

I was thinking about that the other day, for JW's site gorillaglue4.com

It would be licensing. He would verify the authenticity, and they would send back a percent of gross or profits. Could also charge an initial fee, for certifying them.

Biggest problem is it would need to be honor system, unless dispensaries need to keep records of everything sold.

Pardon Loc Dog.. I have a background in commercially growing peaches. If they did it the same way they did peaches, it would work really well.

DR Davis peach was developed by UC Davis. Every peach seed sold that is a DRD seed, Davis gets a royalty. They take the seed to the lab, get it certified, then when they grow seed, all those seeds are certified as DRD seeds. When you buy a seed it comes with a cert.

If we did that same sort of thing with a mother plant. THe mother gets registered, the original owner is given a set of documents that are given to the new clone owner. By doing it this way, all things are tracked.

When the original owner of the mother plant runs out of the certification docs that he gives with each clone, he contacts the lab again, and they send him another batch of certs. Its a different sort of tracking than commercial seeds, but it WOULD work.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
JeanGreens, if that is under federal law, might not be something covered, since cannabis is not legal, under federal law. I do not know the answer. A copywright lawyer, would need to be consulted.

redlaser

Veteran
Interesting subject, Id be interested in genetically verifiable clone material, surprised that's not being done already. The obstacle to trademark or patent for weed would seem to be that your applying to a federal office. The licensing of the name would be easier. Any kind of seed production would be easier to control, with cuttings it would be the honor system unless someone enforced it with a lawyer. Some would want to provide certified stock though, usually a royallty on a patented cutting is a few cents, not too bad

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Gonna have seeds of:

GG#4 S1
Tangie x GG#4(r)
SLH x GG#4(r)

I was gonna do a reversal project soon but I had some lowers of GG4 that I didnt clean up, get some nanners due to low light, so I used the pollin to hit the GG#4, SLH and Tangie in some spots.
I think some SLH and GG#4 would be super good together.
The SLH doesnt grow well in organic soil and is much better grown hydro, so Im hoping the GG#4 genetics will help out with the vigor when grown in soil.
I bet adding the SLH terps to the GG4 makes for an extremely tasty OG "type" of plant...just different.

Looking forward to popping some of these beans and seein' whats good.
After seeing PF's GG#4 S1 Im excited to see what these S1's hold.

Last edited:

KiefSweat

Veteran
with the federal farm bill there are options for utility patents and the like for cannabis plants but not plant patents/or breeders rights for now

JeanGreens, if that is under federal law, might not be something covered, since cannabis is not legal, under federal law. I do not know the answer. A copywright lawyer, would need to be consulted.

Thats the thing... There are no current laws for cloning. Thats why 420CLONE.org is now working with Perry, the lobbiest for WECAN.org and they are crafting the legislature now.

Its exciting to me, because we have people who are writing legislature that are taking into account that those who grow the original mother plant need to be protected as well.

As I said, this would help guys like Josie because he would get a small royalty for any GG4 sold.

I ask those of you with more experience, what do you think?

Vegas... 420.. wheres the parties?

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
hes sayin hes got femmed beans from a reversal... glue came last in both so I'd say glue was reversed...

with the federal farm bill there are options for utility patents and the like for cannabis plants but not plant patents/or breeders rights for now

Good point. Thats why I am wondering/thinking/hoping that if they write a bill that will protect plant breeders for clones, this will also protect the breeder in the retail or medical sale of their genetics.

THe biggest downfall to this is that it wont protect cuts being given to friends from other friends. Yet.. again.. if the clones were big enough to step into flowering, and pricing was right, I dont know, I think people wouldnt clone, they'd just go to a clone depot sort of thing, and if they did that, bingo... Josie gets a royalty...

Would this sort of thing get a pay back to Josie? Are we thinking correct?

Interesting subject, Id be interested in genetically verifiable clone material, surprised that's not being done already. The obstacle to trademark or patent for weed would seem to be that your applying to a federal office. The licensing of the name would be easier. Any kind of seed production would be easier to control, with cuttings it would be the honor system unless someone enforced it with a lawyer. Some would want to provide certified stock though, usually a royallty on a patented cutting is a few cents, not too bad

I met with WeCAN, Perry the MMJ lobbiest, a seed bank owner, 2 growers from Oregon, 2 other growers from Nevada, and a few other organizations were in attendance at the meeting. From this meeting, I understand that there is no legislation currently written for clones in the way MMJ can be sold from one person to another to grow a crop or medicine.

The guys who are crafting these bills are doing right now. They are in Nevada working on it. The lobbiest we have in Nevada is one of the same lobbiests who crafted the laws for full legalization in Oregon.

As far as clone houses go? Its being done, clone houses, but they (clones) are not being genetically certified. What myself and the growers were upset about was how clones can be branded as one thing, but they are something else. With GG4 in my pipe, my mind was all about protecting the rights of the original breeder(s) of mother plants, much like the peach industry protects the rights of seed breeders. Clones have to be represented in the laws.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Me and 5leggoat got SLH seeds before they where released to the public. We both had to do a grow report for GHS. When we gave our reports to GHS they raised the price of these seeds. Sorry guys that was our fault lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts