What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Preparing for round 2

Dank_Linc

Hey yall -

Getting the tent ready this coming week for my second run after a very rewarding first harvest. Obviously a lot was learned and still more to go.

My first run I ran Vital Garden Supply soil, nutrients and tea following their advanced line up feeding schedule. I plan to run this same feed with a couple tweaks.

My big question right now is more about getting my soil right and caring for younger clones. My first run my clones were already 40+ days old and were a bit root bound. They went straight into 7 gallon pots. I didn’t amend the soil in any fashion but I did mix some of the amendments with soil and top dressed the clones with it.

This time around I’m getting younger clones (2 weeks old) and I don’t want to go straight to 7 gallon pots. Debating 1 or 2 gallon pots.

I also am curious if I should be mixing my soil more or some. Per their website, the soil I use is a mix of coconut coir, compost, worm castings, sphagnum moss, perlite, peat humus, seabird guano, and glacial rock dust. I was debating adding additional worm castings, compost and definitely adding silica.

Will I be making my soil too hot adding these? And if I’m transplanting from clone into a pot that will be mainly for veg, should I be adding additional bat guano? And when I transplant that into their final pot before flower, should I be subbing the bat guano for sea bird guano?

I know a lot of people will say I’m doing too much and that’s fine. I enjoy staying busy with my garden so the extra work isn’t a bother to be and my first run of ladies loved all the extra TLC.

Thanks yall 🤙🏽

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Keep the clones in one-gallon pots for the best water management until the roots are developed. One-gallon pots use much less water and are easy to take care of than big 7-gallon pots. Forty day clones can make super plants when transplanted into 7-gallon pots.

I would be careful adding anything to the mix and do just like you did with the last harvest. Adding amendments can come back and bite one on his ass if the wrong amendment is added. Try new mixes on one of two plants at a time and don't take a chance with the whole garden in case it's a bad choice. Keep us posted friend and thanks for sharing.