What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Gorilla Glue #4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
If you don't understand the question....well, you might have the wrong hobby. Sorry but I am done being nice about basic biology. Horace Marchner...read his book...standard college biology book

can't find anything on that name! got a Horace Cutler and a petra marshier and the books $200! can i just hang out with you for a few weeks and learn lol.

jw23ck11

Veteran
Just two gavitas. Both glues, the back is 27 days the front 2 days old.
My last hortilux 1k got me 31lid of glue, my last Gavita 1k got me 39lids. I think I maxed out the hortilux but I know I can do better with the gavita
Double ended bulbs are definitely better than single ended

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
60196536.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

vapeking

Tried to start a forum Adjust a wings vs. Gavitas but nobody has chimed in. I have great results with the adjust a wings, but always interested in improving. It would be a big investment to switch over in my circumstance, but if they do what people say it would be peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Just don't see how 3 lbs a plant is possible in my indoor hydro setup, seems to be maxed out as it is. Ex. if you have 30 plants under 12 1000HPS and double our lights could you triple your lights using the same exact setup,but with 12 gavitas? Pretty hard to beiieve.

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Are the gavitas doing so well cause they're double ended or do they have the highest lumen or is it something else.
while I'm sure I'm brutalizing the concept and proper terminology-

lumens refers to light that is visible to the human eye, it isn't completely relevant in gardening as plants use PAR(plant active radiation)

you really have to look into how DE lamps work. they are powered from either side of the bulb, there are less internal components inside of the bulb that get in the way of the light, the PAR wattage is much higher and the umol is noticeably more than a normal hortilux/digi ballast combo

also true gavita lighting tech runs the bulb @ 400volts

gavita/DE bulbs carry 95% bulb efficiency through their lifespan(2-3YEARS) so you will save the on the cost of about 6-9 bulb changes over that period of time.

DE is capable of providing a larger canopy area with ideal lighting conditions which lends itself to an increase in yield as well.

there are plenty of threads about DE lighting in the designs & equipment forum, a lot of them have data tables that show PAR readings of various lamp/ballast combinations etc. and things like that that I would highly suggest reading into if you are at all considering making the switch to DE. I'm not trying to sell anyone on em, just sharing what little bit of info I've picked up since I've been researching/preparing to switch my own garden.

here's a safe question to ask: anyone with experience please chime in!

Would anyone that is currently running Gavita or similar lighting purchase standard HPS lighting for an upcoming build?(assuming that height restrictions etc. are not a factor)

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
Probably gonna try a room with them, So you have to use light movers (up and down?) How high do you want them and how many could a 5 ton HVAC cool?

12-15 but 15 is pushing it,
some say 8 some say 12 but the dudes i know run 1 5 ton forced air split system for every 12 lights.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
I too am a Jack's user, but i use tap water. Where i am it doesnt even register on my blue lab. I was wondering if even the Jacks+CalNit might be too much N. 5-12-26 with the CalNit at 15-0-0
maybe. definitely run it low. 1.2 ec is my top ec unless shes begging for more but be conservative and only run higher when shes needing it.
my water sounds like yours 0.0 ec reading 60 ppm on .7 scale. the plants love it but if you like boosters you could knock the ratio back.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
i dont go above 1.0 ec in veg and 1.2 MAX in flower, but mainly a solid 1.0 EC all the way through for the most part

Just running into something similar to what Third Coast is.....things seemed stalled although they are starting to fill out more now. Might be just worrying about nothing, but we shall see when all is said n done.

This was the start of week 6....just going from memory I could have sworn they were larger the last 2 runs but my memory could be mistaken
View Image

View Image

:tiphat:

those look great!

TheOutlawTree

while I'm sure I'm brutalizing the concept and proper terminology-

lumens refers to light that is visible to the human eye, it isn't completely relevant in gardening as plants use PAR(plant active radiation)

you really have to look into how DE lamps work. they are powered from either side of the bulb, there are less internal components inside of the bulb that get in the way of the light, the PAR wattage is much higher and the umol is noticeably more than a normal hortilux/digi ballast combo

also true gavita lighting tech runs the bulb @ 400volts

gavita/DE bulbs carry 95% bulb efficiency through their lifespan(2-3YEARS) so you will save the on the cost of about 6-9 bulb changes over that period of time.

DE is capable of providing a larger canopy area with ideal lighting conditions which lends itself to an increase in yield as well.

there are plenty of threads about DE lighting in the designs & equipment forum, a lot of them have data tables that show PAR readings of various lamp/ballast combinations etc. and things like that that I would highly suggest reading into if you are at all considering making the switch to DE. I'm not trying to sell anyone on em, just sharing what little bit of info I've picked up since I've been researching/preparing to switch my own garden.

here's a safe question to ask: anyone with experience please chime in!

Would anyone that is currently running Gavita or similar lighting purchase standard HPS lighting for an upcoming build?(assuming that height restrictions etc. are not a factor)

Ive only had 2 runs with my new gavita's but I will say that after using them, they cover close to 6x6 canopy if spaced 3-4ft from canopy which is recommended by Gavita. I had originally spaced them out as 5x5, and found that they can pretty much cover 6x6 and with the price of electric I see no reason not to do 6x6 with them.

I have 8ft ceilings which is not ideal but it still works- I just have to keep my plants low and bushy and scrog them nicely. You don't want your canopy any closer than 3ft to the light if your planning on running them on 1000 or 1150w settings.

If you wanted to do a proper commercial grow and have a flowering canopy of 12' x 60' you would need 45,000W of Standard HPS setups (if doing 4x4 spacing). In the same grow space you could get away with only using 20,000W of Gavita's or 20 lights (If using 6x6 spacing). Not only do they cover a lot more space but say goodbye to changing your bulbs out all the time.

gh0st9

Veteran
@vapeking imo gavitas/DE>vertizontals>AAW>A/C hoods in that order. I never use light movers, just more money i could spend on actual lighting. I jack my lights up to the top... then move my canopy/tables to where I want em. much easier that way stacking things on the ground rather than fiddle with the lights while reaching over a 3 ft canopy... better planning I always say, monocrop and dial, before moving to the gavitas

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
Ive only had 2 runs with my new gavita's but I will say that after using them, they cover close to 6x6 canopy if spaced 3-4ft from canopy which is recommended by Gavita. I had originally spaced them out as 5x5, and found that they can pretty much cover 6x6 and with the price of electric I see no reason not to do 6x6 with them.

I have 8ft ceilings which is not ideal but it still works- I just have to keep my plants low and bushy and scrog them nicely. You don't want your canopy any closer than 3ft to the light if your planning on running them on 1000 or 1150w settings.

If you wanted to do a proper commercial grow and have a flowering canopy of 12' x 60' you would need 45,000W of Standard HPS setups (if doing 4x4 spacing). In the same grow space you could get away with only using 20,000W of Gavita's or 20 lights (If using 6x6 spacing). Not only do they cover a lot more space but say goodbye to changing your bulbs out all the time.
sorry to continue the de-rail here, the gavita thread is here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228976&page=41

what's your average canopy height? are you running standard gavita complete fixtures?

I've got 7'6" ceilings on my current build and want to run gavitas but lean towards the remote setups to maximize headroom. although the gavita remote ballast are currently unavailable due to some regulation that requires the remote setup to be sold as a kit including the ballast lamp cord and reflector in order to have a lamp cord that meets spec. Wazzup recommended that I look into the 750w or possibly 600w setups with my limited head room which I'm cool with so long as I can maintain current yield minimums.

SirSmokalot

My Zips Be So Fluffy The Whole Town Love Me
Veteran
I got 8.5 ft. Hope to pull it off. The real trick Deez is veg
If u can veg with hid its much easier to keep them low and bushy before flowering but get the mass required to get the yield your after. I may ditch my tables for a raised platform on a slant that all drains to a basin on edge with an installed pump with float switch to move runoff
Frame ,plywood on top ,pond liner over that all sloped to one side, drains to pond liner basin to be pumped out. I have a load of pond liners sitting around. Figure that's easiest for me to maintain drainage but only be 6"-8" off cement. Get at least a ft back from my current tables.
I was able to keep 3ft from hood last run but I didn't transplant them up like I should have so stretch was very limited but now I'm confident I can maintain those distances with training or modding my room.

jw23ck11

Veteran
24"-30" any more abd you lose yield. I have two remote gavitas on 9' ceilings over a 5'x8' scrog. I have them vegged to 4'-5' and tuck them under the scrog that stands 4' high with a 10" double trellis for support. Now, my first gavita was 30" from cannopy. I got 39 lids my second was 36-42" and I got 28 lids. This upcoming gavita got tall on me and is 18" from light, and looks like 48 lids to me. If you have lower ceilings then just veg shorter. I have been known to over veg, which could be the reason for cola size. However, I would never go back to single ended bulbs again. I'm so amazed at the results and mine are just average for a gavita.

thewhitelotus

Veteran
sorry to continue the de-rail here, the gavita thread is here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=228976&page=41

what's your average canopy height? are you running standard gavita complete fixtures?

I've got 7'6" ceilings on my current build and want to run gavitas but lean towards the remote setups to maximize headroom. although the gavita remote ballast are currently unavailable due to some regulation that requires the remote setup to be sold as a kit including the ballast lamp cord and reflector in order to have a lamp cord that meets spec. Wazzup recommended that I look into the 750w or possibly 600w setups with my limited head room which I'm cool with so long as I can maintain current yield minimums.

Ive got the 6/750 FLEX series gavita and its currently running maxed at 825w. I too have same size ceilings and im pretty damn happy with how things are going. After the GG4s were done stretching i had about 34" from canopy to bulb.....this is with a 5x5 footprint

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
I got 8.5 ft. Hope to pull it off. The real trick Deez is veg
If u can veg with hid its much easier to keep them low and bushy before flowering but get the mass required to get the yield your after. I may ditch my tables for a raised platform on a slant that all drains to a basin on edge with an installed pump with float switch to move runoff
Frame ,plywood on top ,pond liner over that all sloped to one side, drains to pond liner basin to be pumped out. I have a load of pond liners sitting around. Figure that's easiest for me to maintain drainage but only be 6"-8" off cement. Get at least a ft back from my current tables.
I was able to keep 3ft from hood last run but I didn't transplant them up like I should have so stretch was very limited but now I'm confident I can maintain those distances with training or modding my room.

yep agree that it's all about good structure through veg, lots of topping and super cropping to keep them low and wide. I kinda felt like I got tighter structure from my plants when I switched over from mh to t5 in veg, plants seemed more vigorous under the MH though which led to me over growing my veg not that it's a bad thing in most cases but I deal with limited veg space and average veg time is 8 weeks because I take cuts from the plants I flower, and don't keep mothers. I semi-intentionally stunt my veg by keeping them in solo cups longer than I should too, otherwise an 8 week veg would be way too much.

my plants are usually about 48"-54"tall at finish, on the ground in plant saucers. I will have only about 82" from floor to the bottom of the bulb w/ a standard gavita fixture so that leaves me with around 28"-34" between canopy and reflector...should be about enough:dunno:

Ive got the 6/750 FLEX series gavita and its currently running maxed at 825w. I too have same size ceilings and im pretty damn happy with how things are going. After the GG4s were done stretching i had about 34" from canopy to bulb.....this is with a 5x5 footprint

good to hear! is this your first run with them? do you think it will perform to the same level of a 1kw hps @ 825w? tell me more!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.