What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Durban Poison

Old Piney

Word of seed South African Kwazulu x South African DP 34. The Durban parent I originally purchased from the Seed Bank in 1986. I grew the Durban for several generation way back when , then after being frozen for 20+ years I grew it out again. unfortunately it lost its kick probably from poor selection on my part. My plan was to restore it's kick. So far the F1 looks good lots of resin and that nice sweet licorice smell but a bit latter because of the Kwazulu
1695431354825.jpeg

Mimpi Manis

Some of these DP 34 plants were very early ripe second or third week in August. My bud back then as bud or the mouth in high times along with another photo from a different DP 34 plant View attachment 18893922
Looking at those makes you wonder just how 'pure' sativa these were? These look way beyond normal variation... no? I guess the fact of the matter lies in the imbibing? So will we ever know?

Timj

Looks fairly NLD! Where is that one from?
I wanted to try ILGM for a few strains as many folks mostly claim their genetics suck and they have poor germination rates. I've grown out their Super Skunk for two years now and it's one of my all time favorite strains. I was gifted a Grand Daddy Purple from a friend that is also from ILGM and it's a monster. So, I find the hype about poor germination and poor genetics just a lack of the growers ability. I've had so called top breeders that I've been disappointed with. I haven't had that yet with ILGM genetics. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Old Piney

I just discovered this thread so that's why so many posts from me .I really loved my Durban and miss it. In addition to a wonderful high it packed a punch, heavy hitting with crazy lung expansion. I had such wonderful times connecting with friends with experiences in the moment high on Durban.Its definitely my all-time favorite strain to date. Again I plan on resurrecting my Durban by crossing it with KwaZulu , I'll have to wait and see. I haven't tried any of the Durban available today but plan on trying this one offered by Kwik Seeds, maybe it's what I remember.

Description​

Genetics: Nirvana ‘Durban Poison’ x 1990 ‘Durban Poison x Skunk No. 1’
Type: Sativa-dom
Indoors: 8 to 9 weeks
Outdoors: October

Original 1990 Amsterdam ‘Durban Poison x Skunk No. 1’ genetics resurrected from long-term storage to create an ‘F1’ between a vigorous, intensely pungent 1990 male and two choice Nirvana ‘Durban Poison’ mothers selected for powerful aromas and resin production.

The large robust 1990 father exhibits double-serrated leaflets and brings excellent old-school pedigree in the form of the original ’80s ‘Skunk No. 1’. Add to that, this parent is only a few generations removed from the South African landrace it’s said was introduced to the Netherlands around 1985.

On the maternal side, Nirvana’s ‘Durban Poison’ is regarded as the truest to the old-school landrace hybrid that made the ‘Durban Poison x Skunk No. 1’ line famous in late-80s Amsterdam. Classic menthol, licorice, and anise blends with earthy tropical ganja and traditional ‘Skunk’ flavours.

The resulting ‘F1’ generation is vigorous and shows double-serrated leaflets. Expect the 1990 ‘Skunk No. 1’ and closeness to the original Durban parentage to shine through with an intense uplifting high that’s ideal for tokers and breeders in love with the positivity of the old-school classics.

This is a limited release until we’ve taken this to the F3 generation.

Note that only Nirvana are transparent about how the Amsterdam ‘Durban’ line is not a pristine landrace but in fact a hybrid with ‘Skunk’. Other cannabis seedbanks give the impression they’re offering an authentic landrace while actually selling a hybrid, as was demonstrated back in the late 1990s by Patrick Matthews in ‘Cannabis Culture’ using a simple Mendelian test cross of the Sensi Seeds version.

Regular seeds, not feminized.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Someone should ask the skunkman

I didnt ask him, but found this information from him:

Well my Durban Poison was 100% pure durban, not a hybrid, It was my earliest NLD Sativa, variety back in the 70's. No WLD Indica blood in it at all, zero.
I have grown many different imported seed batches from Durban, they were all at least a bit early, and all smelled and tasted at least a bit like Anise or licorice. I got the seeds from many different sources at many different times.
The Cannabis sold in Durban is from Swaziland, Lesotho, Transkei, KwaZulu-Natal, and from the farm areas right around Duban.
So what is real Durban Poison? All of the above is marketed as Durban Poison if it will help the sales. The real Swazi I grew was later maturing the the Duban. Smelled different, and looked different also. I got most of my seeds from friends that went to the farms, south of Durban and found seeds from the best plants for me. Where did you get yours? Who from and where from?
-SamS

when you look at african seeds description, you can see flowering times.

This strain is famous throughout the world. Non hybridised sativa. Not only confined to Natal, but grown widely across South Africa leading to variable quality. Our seeds selected only from experienced growers giving consistent "kick ass" plants loaded with resin.

Flowering Period indoor: 8-10 weeks
Flowering Period outdoor: 9-13 weeks (condition dependent)
Height: 2-4 m (6-12 ft)
Yields: 20-30 oz (600-1000 gr)

well, 9 weeks and african seeds collected it in Africa for sure...

so these varieties around Durban are not what we know as tropical sativas... it gives sense as it is subtropical enviroment... no 18 weeks sativas are welcome. does it mean there is wld in it? I dont know :D

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Word of seed South African Kwazulu x South African DP 34. The Durban parent I originally purchased from the Seed Bank in 1986. I grew the Durban for several generation way back when , then after being frozen for 20+ years I grew it out again. unfortunately it lost its kick probably from poor selection on my part. My plan was to restore it's kick. So far the F1 looks good lots of resin and that nice sweet licorice smell but a bit latter because of the Kwazulu View attachment 18893919

very nice cross. respect.

Old Piney

I didnt ask him, but found this information from him:
Nice thanks for the information.I have been thinking it does seem unlikely to me that a a hybrid between two totally unrelated strains (e.g. South African and Skunk#1)could be stabilize in just a few years into true breeding IBL with no phenos leaning to Skunk#1 but yes we don't know and probably never will. I just know I like it !

Old Piney

I will say word of seed KwaZulu definitely has some suspect variation , one pheno had a high flower to leaf ratio and quite dense. On the other hand the other was quite loose but with lots of resinous bracts and few flowers. I used the loose one in my cross cause I liked the taste and all the resin .both have the same nice up high
1695496257289.jpeg
1695496221319.jpeg

sshz

Ethos Genetics has a Durban Poison hybrid, Zsweet Inzanity, thats mostly all D.P. and well worth a grow. It has that licorice smell and taste, and a strong, up sativa high. It's produces really well too.I have a number of grows of it, and one right now, over at Budbuilders.

Timj

Ethos Genetics has a Durban Poison hybrid, Zsweet Inzanity, thats mostly all D.P. and well worth a grow. It has that licorice smell and taste, and a strong, up sativa high. It's produces really well too.I have a number of grows of it, and one right now, over at Budbuilders.
I've grown Zweet Inzanity RBX. I'd agree it was strong and had an interesting taste. Although, I didn't get a licorice taste in the one I grew.

sshz

My current Z.I. grow at 5 weeks...........

Pic won't download, file is too large. Lets try a link instead:

Timj

I think they were being crossed with indica strains to increase yields and profits for all black market growers. I remember getting Thai stick in the 70's that was more stem than bud. It was some of the strongest weed back then. But, I don't believe it would get most hard core users high these days.

Reactions: ost

goingrey

This is my issue wIth the breeding frenzy from way back. The dutch were taming all the sativas for their climate by introducing indica genes. FTW
Not sure that this was the case.

SSSC did do a Durban/Pakistani cross (M19), but also one with a Thai sativa (M8), and also sold it pure (M3). And The Seed Bank only sold it pure.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
cannabiogen durban is not dutch one. yet in description we can see 10 weeks.

An original South African line. This classic African line carries a reputation of high quality and has influenced many award winning strains. This our first offering is fourth generation and finishes in 10 to 14 weeks with vibrant greens and pungent purples. Her fine complex aromas peak at harvest and are refined through the curing process. We have selected plants that are sexually stable, however as with many pure landrace strains careful observation for intersexing is recommended.

so where are those long flowering durbans???

I saw pure unhybridized lesotho finished in late October in Netherlands.