What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Durban Poison

Succinct

I just finished growing a strain called The Durban Special by Digital Genetics. It's a hybrid listed as (Blueberry O.G.#3 x Cookies&Cream) x Durban Poison #7.

I only grew one seed and during veg, I definitely smelled the strong anise and got super excited, but it disappeared during flower and was replaced with a monster fruity smell (like sticking your head in a bucket of Gushers). I have about 8 more seeds to grow out that I'm doing all together next run, so hopefully it pops up again and sticks.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
durban

full

St. Phatty

Sad that pure durban has been wiped , Mel frank said he had 2 lines durban a had liquorice but he lost it and durban b went to sam that ended up in holland but had hermi probs.

The liquorice durban is very sought after.

The closest I've gotten to Licorice Durban is a Mexican Sativa with very pronounced Licorice smell.

It was the best out of about 100 seedlings that I grew from Mexican "Mersh" seeds in the late 90's.

I wonder how similar genetically the Licorice Durban Sativa is, to the Licorice Mexican Sativa.

My stealth was not that great. There was a group of Hispanic Gentlemen camping nearby. Plus it was in a 5 gallon bucket. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the smoke.

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Yes, I loved the gold and purple color, the greasyness, and the black licorice of the Durban I once knew. I only see the green durban these days. Was used a lot in outdoor projects. And was successful. I'm just not really into the lemony.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The closest I've gotten to Licorice Durban is a Mexican Sativa with very pronounced Licorice smell.

It was the best out of about 100 seedlings that I grew from Mexican "Mersh" seeds in the late 90's.

I wonder how similar genetically the Licorice Durban Sativa is, to the Licorice Mexican Sativa.

My stealth was not that great. There was a group of Hispanic Gentlemen camping nearby. Plus it was in a 5 gallon bucket. I didn't get a chance to enjoy the smoke.

:D

if you can read description of sensi mexican sativa which says: Developed in the Cannabis Castle through years of selective breeding and backcrossing the Mexican Oaxacan x Pakistani Hash Plant x Durban, blending a great mix of world flavors with exceptional strength and vigor.

so durban in it.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
1989 sensi durban was SO licorice..many people I know loved it

i found it annoying..but it grew beautiful early plants

I have three different Durbans i want to grow when I have room

yes, the most are anise. I am looking for chemical astrigent one too.

Well my Durban Poison was 100% pure durban, not a hybrid, It was my earliest NLD Sativa, variety back in the 70's. No WLD Indica blood in it at all, zero.
I have grown many different imported seed batches from Durban, they were all at least a bit early, and all smelled and tasted at least a bit like Anise or licorice. I got the seeds from many different sources at many different times.
The Cannabis sold in Durban is from Swaziland, Lesotho, Transkei, KwaZulu-Natal, and from the farm areas right around Duban.
So what is real Durban Poison? All of the above is marketed as Durban Poison if it will help the sales. The real Swazi I grew was later maturing the the Duban. Smelled different, and looked different also. I got most of my seeds from friends that went to the farms, south of Durban and found seeds from the best plants for me.
-SamS

St. Phatty

:D

if you can read description of sensi mexican sativa which says: Developed in the Cannabis Castle through years of selective breeding and backcrossing the Mexican Oaxacan x Pakistani Hash Plant x Durban, blending a great mix of world flavors with exceptional strength and vigor.

so durban in it.

That's Sensi brand version of Mexican.

When I talk about Sativa, I'm referring to Pot that falls in the category of "press brick with lots of seeds".

It is whatever the growers in Mexico used for their pot in the late 90s.

Anyway, it was what I had access to for seeds, in San Diego, just north of Tijuana and Baja.

One of those had the Licorice and a lot of frost.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had some plant chromosomes/ genes in common with Durban.

Anybody know what the Mexican growers used for their seed-stock when they ramped up their production in the 1960's ? as American consumers started realizing that Mexican pot was a GOOD THING.

Since they grew 1000's of plants, they had an amazing opportunity for breeding.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
That's Sensi brand version of Mexican.

When I talk about Sativa, I'm referring to Pot that falls in the category of "press brick with lots of seeds".

It is whatever the growers in Mexico used for their pot in the late 90s.

Anyway, it was what I had access to for seeds, in San Diego, just north of Tijuana and Baja.

One of those had the Licorice and a lot of frost.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had some plant chromosomes/ genes in common with Durban.

Anybody know what the Mexican growers used for their seed-stock when they ramped up their production in the 1960's ? as American consumers started realizing that Mexican pot was a GOOD THING.

Since they grew 1000's of plants, they had an amazing opportunity for breeding.

I see, sorry I dont know why I think about sensi "mexican" ....

well if it is from recent brickweed, it can be dutch durban easily in it... quick finish, resistance and overall it grows much better outdoors than indoors..

I think that it is not accurate to guess on genetics according to chemotype. chemotype similarity dont have to mean genetic similarity necessarily. you can get chocolate afghani as well as chocolate thai and they are not so close related genetically.

Timj

I try different breeders all the time and decided to grow ILGM's Durban Poison this year. Many folks claim their seeds suck. I like to judge things for myself. Is this a true representation of DP? I have no clue. Can we really be sure of anything when it comes to cannabis lineage? Anyways, here are a few pictures. She is being grown in living organic soil in a 20 gallon pot and is currently 9 weeks from seed and 40" tall.
20230628_100437.jpg
20230628_100411.jpg

TheDarkStorm

Latest posts

Latest posts