What's new

Criminal indictments coming for Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose eater

those folks don't donate big $$$ to pols needing another house in Montana or Hawaii. they need to pony up to stay in the game...:dunno:
Nope, but they can vote.

And as the control of capital in the US has shifted markedly toward those in the upper crust, who need it less, there's a LOT more of those working poor, retired, poor, and disabled in this Country, and most of them have voter ID cards, I'd wager.

Among them are the sleeping giants. The voters who rarely bother to go to the polls, until they're pissed off. Then they bother.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends on who is in control when the decision to cut it comes up for a vote. There is a valid point to be made that the Social Security system is in big trouble and will not survive as it is without major changes going forward. Now while that is very true what doesn't get reported enough with that truth is the truth that it was the mismanagement of and theft from the system as it was meant to be run that has put it in this position. Over the years many administrations have robbed the trust fund of surpluses of money that were meant to help carry it in the future when the baby boomers began to be eligible to collect and put the strain on the system that it is now under. Rather then paying the money back they left in it's place what amounts to IOU's and as a result somewhere between 20-30% and maybe more of the national debt is money that is actually owed to Social Security to replace the money stolen from it. Unfortunately it's hard to be more precise then a range because the way it's kept on the books it is lumped in with other debts due to government spending that makes it difficult to separate out precisely what is owed to Social Security. Suffice it to say that should anyone actually manage to cut Social Security and Medicare they will simultaneously significantly reduce government spending and do away with a big chunk of the national debt at the same time.

The people most willing to do this are politicians representing large percentages of younger Americans (below age 40) because most of those feel that Social Security will not be there for them when they become eligible to collect. To be fair it's hard to blame those people, not many are willing to give up a fair chunk of money from each paycheck for something that won't be there for them when they retire. Oddly enough the support for cutting those programs comes from the people least likely to vote where as the people most likely to vote (the elderly) depend on Social Security and Medicare to survive and this is why proposals of cutting these programs is generally viewed as political suicide by politicians that represent more of the elderly then those under 40.

Talk of cutting these programs has been going on for decades and mostly comes from Republicans although I'm sure there are likely some Democrats that support this but are smart enough to not talk about it. As long as the elderly continue to make up the largest percentage of likely voters any attempts to cut these programs will likely fail. As the elderly die off though at some point the dynamic will change and if something isn't done to fix the system it will likely fail on it's own even before that change in voters happens. Unfortunately as we enter further into the age of automation and workers are replaced by machines the problems will just get worse because you'll have an ever decreasing number of workers paying into the system to keep it running.

Now all of that may sound like bad news but wait, there's more. While greatly reducing government spending and getting rid of a big chunk of the national debt might seem like good things it really isn't if it's done by cutting Social Security and Medicare. There is an average of 66 Million Americans living on Social Security and the total benefits paid out each year to them exceeds 1 Trillion dollars. Most people on Social Security depend on their benefit as their sole or primary source of income. As such each month virtually every penny of benefits paid out gets spent right back into the economy to pay for the necessities of life (housing, utilities, food, healthcare, etc.) If that money was suddenly cut off by doing away with Social Security and Medicare not only would that cause millions of Americans to be left with nothing to live on but it would be a devastating contraction to the economy that would likely cause such failure it would make the Great Depression seem like better times in comparison.

The truly sad thing about all of this, the primary reason for politicians in the past to rob the Social Security Trust fund and put us on this path was to fund tax cuts to the wealthy that really didn't need it and to fund wars we really had no business being involved in.
Wasn't that started by everybody's buddy, Bill Clinton? And by everybody's buddy I mean shitbag of a human being.

moose eater

no. politicians were robbing SS blind for a long time before Clinton ever entered politics...and why bring up The Chump?
Social security has been raided by both parties over time. Indeed.

Like a drunken parent stealing from the family cookie jar cash stash, then unable to make ends meet, pretending it's the jar's fault, or someone else's, and saying, "I guess we'll have to move now; we're broke." and shrugging their shoulders as though they're not a part of the 'why'.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The full retirement age has changed for anyone born after 1960 to 67 years old. The ave lifespan in the USA is 74. You would only get 7 years of full benefits lol. PAying into your SS account for 65 years to onkly get 7 years of that back .. IT'S A SCAM!!.. The retirement age should be 50.

Last edited:

moose eater

The full retirement age has changed for anyone born after 1960 to 67 years old. The ave lifespan in the USA is 74.
I believe the steps in re. to percentage of full SS 'retirement pay' now are 62, then 67, then 70. Not sure though. I'm confident of the 62 and 67, and folks need to apply for Medicare if they're going to, -before- they turn 65; like even 6 months before.

The age for SS rose for a number of reasons, most of it, imo, involving Congress getting ready for the wave of baby boomers about to cross that line then. But also to do with what were rising ages of mortality; better/greater longevity.

That factor, however, is now headed back down.

For over 30 years, maybe 35, the USA has been sliding downward on the International 'quality of life' index. In my opinion, this can be traced to a number of factors, and more recently, COVID.

AARP has always had some limited political clout.

And you know what they say about pissing off old people, and especially the terminally ill? "They've been alive a lot longer, learned a lot more, are a lot cagier, and just don't give a fuck any more."

Sounds like the wrong people to drive past any serious point of irritation. :)

Last edited:

moose eater

62 is early retirement. you don't gert full beneifits.
Yep, but they can go up to full benefits once you pass 67 or 70, even though you turned on the spigot at 62.

I checked into that, as my wife wants to retire at 62. The reduced rates are (for now, anyway) temporary until you reach what ever magic digits).

That was good to know. That it's not a permanent forfeiture of pay-out level.

The ceiling on earned income after beginning to collect SS can become a bit of a burden, too, however.

I don't know too many people up here who can live on $1,500 or $1,800/month, even with a pittance of extra cash income. Not without 'creativity'. (*That's where my life insurance and the cash value of our current paid-off home comes into play.. Buffers. everybody needs some).

The State of Alaska has a property tax exemption for those over age 65, providing it's deemed a primary residence, meaning you have to occupy the home. Any other domociles on the property are taxed at full millage rate, assuming there's property taxes there at all. Unorganized Boroughs (the remainder of the State, outside organized Boroughs), are without property taxes currently; for how long, who knows?

Combined exemptions between the State and the Borough comes to $200,000 after age 65.

We've toyed with unknowns that I don't want to inquire about directly, and risk having any notes added to a property file, such as, if I reach age 65, (not necessarily likely, for a number of reasons, but not far off), and I apply for that total exemption of $200,000 for a primary residence (of which we currently receive a $20,000 exemption), and I die before she's 65, does she have to notify the Borough of my demise, and do they go retroactive on her, and charge her the full value tax again, (which is over $300./month currently, and apt to climb for an energy rated 6-star home; not fancy, but WARM)? Or do they let it slide as she's still technically my spouse, and I'm still her husband, though dead before she reaches that magic age?

Unknowns that matter, if a senior is to maintain a home in this place.

Otherwise we're looking at semi-remote Island properties and remote nearby mainland stuff in SE Alaska, where there is no to little property tax at all. Including more remote villages/communities on Prince of Wales Island (where we've lived before), and/or a little town up an inlet on the mainland, population 60, with few services there, and most people going across the Border into Canada for banking, shopping, etc. (Hyder, Alaska and Stewart, B.C., off the lower end of the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy and on the salt water, where she could sail a small sail boat, fish and gather kelp for a garden and food, etc.; old hitch-hiking and driving grounds for me). Still some reasonable homes there for reasonable money, for obvious reasons.

Many seniors are not well suited to chopping wood, etc., so that figures in there, too.

Having lived the quasi-Bohemian lifefstyle, with scant anticipation of being alive for very long, with that outlook starting well over 25 years ago for me, sometimes leads to creative decisions toward coping methods for economic uncertainties for those left behind..

Last edited:

moose eater

i'd probably get shot "resisting arrest"...
My life insurance goes null and void if I die in the commission of a felony. I 've told many an asshole they should write my insurance under-writers and thank them for that condition in the policy. It's the microscopic reason several of them are still above ground.

Come to think of it, they ought to thank my wife, too. Same reasons. :)

moose eater

is "resisting arrest" a felony? i guess if you are emptying a 12 gauge pump & a couple of pistols at them...huh. might ought to look into...nah, i don't HAVE any insurance. surprised me and everyone i know that i made it to 30...
Depends on whether or not the cop says you spit on him/her during the arrest, while in a pandemic. That's felony assault up here. Peeing on them under those conditions is a felony, too. :)

Some theatrically-delivered or physically-demonstrated opinions can be more costly than others.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Depends on whether or not the cop says you spit on him/her during the arrest, while in a pandemic. That's felony assault up here. Peeing on them under those conditions is a felony, too. :)

Some theatrically-delivered or physically-demonstrated opinions can be more costly than others.

What I am hearing is: "If you are mad enough to spit, you should just use a gun."

Maybe I am missing something but I'm all ears...

I'm also obstinate.

Status
Not open for further replies.