What's new

CLONES!!! 7-14 Days! 99% Success Rate!

F2F

picture.php

Day 8. 12oz solo cup, straight perlite, rooting hormone (powder, Home Depot), Tap water, under T5’s. Daily misting of cuts and sterlite dome. Did not need to top off the cups in my environment (~75% RH).

Note: I inadvertently used Miracle Grow perlite which has nutes added. Everything went bright green and ugly but still rooted 20/20.

Many props to the OP for this method!

Peace,
F2F

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Thanks for the post and update using this method. It works great for beginners to ensure success and also hard to clone strains in other methods.

SGS

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Used this method again and saved a very nice heirloom Mexican Torreon x Michoacan. I did not use a humidity dome and it still worked fine.

Thats wonderful news! Glad it worked out for you!!! :party:

A humidity dome isn't always needed... some strains like the higher humidity some don't care.

Again glad it worked out for you!

SGS

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
for me it didn't work but i give a new chance later when it's time to. probably my clones had virus which makes rooting slow.

Not sure what went wrong in your attempt... please ask any questions if you need help.

SGS

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good to hear from you SGS. You are the man indeed. Simple effective methods are always going to be valued highly. Not sure why anyone would use anything other than your method really.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I tried a lot of methods and built a few bubblers to try. everything so far was hit and miss. Usually miss. I was pissed and had a doze peat plugs waiting for seed, so I took a cutting, scraped the bottom between my thumb and the scissors once, dipped it in stim-root and stuck it in the plug and put the dome on them. Misted every second day. Well it was 12/12. I did almost 400 that way this year. 100% success.

bafc9a7b3930ceed366a76502831b4fd1306c678.JPG

(not mine)

I had big 50ml plugs I thought would work fantastic, but the smaller Jiffy #7 plugs work the best.

SGS

In The Garden
Veteran
Good to hear from you SGS. You are the man indeed. Simple effective methods are always going to be valued highly. Not sure why anyone would use anything other than your method really.

Thank you very much, its stupid simple and can produce great results, and be modified for individual needs. I do like other methods for cloning, mainly for mass production needs.. but this method will surely give the average grower more cuts than they will need.:smoke out:

Ive made small totes that hold 30 cuts in each filled with perlite in this same manner with great results. Just dont let them go longer as to have the roots start growing into each other. To get the clones out of the perlite I simply just dunk them in a large water bath and the perlite floats way leaving you with a beautiful bare root clone. :party:

SGS

burntleaf

Hey fellow growers!

I tried this method with 5 different strains and after 12 days not one of them has even formed a callus.
I used clear 0,2 liter plastic cups and Plagron Perlite, temps were between 20-22°C and RH at about 95% for the first 5 days and after that around 80%.
I used a 6500K T5 LED, which works for cloning because with eazy plugs I get roots in about 7 days.
The cuts were take following the given instruction step by step, Clonex was used as rooting hormone.
The clones were put under a humidity dome, which I kept closed for the first 5 days and after that i gradually opended the vents.
The plants looked healthy througout the whole process but simply did not develop a single root.

Yesterday I cut 2 clones each of 5 strains, so 10 clones in total and tried this method again, for the next 5 days they won't be touched...

Any tips for success?

I would really like to be able to get my Super Silver Haze and Moonshine Haze clones to root, because I cant get them anymore and would really like to keep them in my collection.

Regards

burntleaf

3snowboards

Hey fellow growers!

I tried this method with 5 different strains and after 12 days not one of them has even formed a callus.
I used clear 0,2 liter plastic cups and Plagron Perlite, temps were between 20-22°C and RH at about 95% for the first 5 days and after that around 80%.
I used a 6500K T5 LED, which works for cloning because with eazy plugs I get roots in about 7 days.
The cuts were take following the given instruction step by step, Clonex was used as rooting hormone.
The clones were put under a humidity dome, which I kept closed for the first 5 days and after that i gradually opended the vents.
The plants looked healthy througout the whole process but simply did not develop a single root.

Yesterday I cut 2 clones each of 5 strains, so 10 clones in total and tried this method again, for the next 5 days they won't be touched...

Any tips for success?

I would really like to be able to get my Super Silver Haze and Moonshine Haze clones to root, because I cant get them anymore and would really like to keep them in my collection.

Regards

burntleaf

I think your temps need to run a little higher
Around 25-26°c
(78°f)
Everything else seems good
picture.php

2 weeks

burntleaf

Around 25-26°c
(78°f)
Everything else seems good
View Image
2 weeks

Thanks for your answer!

Too cold was also my suspicion, thats why I have put them next to my veg area where temps should be around 24°C and they get around 2500lux

I just moved recently...At my old place everything rooted no problem and at the new place it is more like a 30% success.

Anyway, I will try to keep temps around 25°C and will report back in about 10 days!

Burntleaf

3snowboards

Thanks for your answer!

Too cold was also my suspicion, thats why I have put them next to my veg area where temps should be around 24°C and they get around 2500lux

I just moved recently...At my old place everything rooted no problem and at the new place it is more like a 30% success.

Anyway, I will try to keep temps around 25°C and will report back in about 10 days!

Burntleaf

I think the best cuts come from robust lower tier shoots
Lower tier is low light so maybe that 2500 lux (lumen?) Is too much
I have my dome under about 1600
But my dome is homemade from Tupperware that is clear but thick (less light thru)
The monster clones show roots in like 7days
Regular clones quicker
picture.php

picture.php

I use a custom mix of sphagnum moss and perlite (about 1:1)
I use california cups
clear (for root peeking)cup with holes
Inside a solo cup with no holes that serves as a reservoir
picture.php

Last edited:

burntleaf

Around 25-26°c
(78°f)
So I am back from my short trip and all 10 of them still look healthy.
Regarding the higher temps, on the eazyplug website it says:
"Conditions for developing roots:
1. Temperature: The optimum soil temperature for striking roots is 22º Celsius. Above 23º Celsius, you must consider a rise in failure rate."

That was the main reason I tried to stay in the 20-22°C range. Do you think I still should try to raise the temps to 25°C?

I think the best cuts come from robust lower tier shoots
I always cut clones from all over the plant, so there should always be at least a few bottom branches...

Lower tier is low light so maybe that 2500 lux (lumen?) Is too much
I have my dome under about 1600
But my dome is homemade from Tupperware that is clear but thick (less light thru)
The monster clones show roots in like 7days
Regular clones quicker
The last batch, that did not root at all was under about 1400lux/lumen...
So I thought maybe they need a tad more light...

But seems the main issue is too low temps...
My veg area is in an open room, so I probably have to come up with some kind of cloning closet, where I can raise the temperature by reducing the space that has to heat up...
I am already using a 45w heat mat+thermostat with a spacer between the mat and the clone box but it does not really seem to do anything but eating up electricity:thinking:

I'll report back in a few days

F2F

Hiya Burntleaf,

Seems for me low/lack of moisture is required to stimulate root formation. The fact your clones still look great might suggest they’ve no reason to form roots in any hurry.

Try lowering humidity, ditch the dome, etc.

Good luck. I got 20/20 first try (lucky, I’m not that good), 4-5 diff strains. Had ~75% RH, under T5’s, sterlite dome vented well. Filled once, Did not add any additional water. 10days all showed roots.

Peace
F2F

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
I have been using a combination of low strength hydroguard rapid start clonex gel and solution with tap water ph to 5.5 with bti after soaking in mild 18 in 1 hemp soap. Spraying with h2o2 or plant therapy with potassium bicarb if or when visible fungal threads on leaves or cut stems. Opening humidity dome once a day to rotate plants with perlite lining tray. Increasing light distance or turning it off if temperature is too high 9w led. One side of humidity dome covered with cheesecloth reflects light and helps prevent bugs from entering. Vents half open after around three to five days.

3snowboards

Hiya Burntleaf,

Seems for me low/lack of moisture is required to stimulate root formation. The fact your clones still look great might suggest they’ve no reason to form roots in any hurry.

Try lowering humidity, ditch the dome, etc.

Good luck. I got 20/20 first try (lucky, I’m not that good), 4-5 diff strains. Had ~75% RH, under T5’s, sterlite dome vented well. Filled once, Did not add any additional water. 10days all showed roots.

Peace
F2F

I agree to a certain extent
But not for everyone
Theres a reason they make humidity domes
I dont know where burnleaf is at but,
Right now where im at the RH is 13% (high desert)
Ive learned that I have to... like literally have to
leave them in the dome for about 4 or 5 days before we start acclimating them to the dry air
I start with maybe only 10 minutes with the top off
Then back in for a day
After a few days of increasing frequency of exposure roots show on the sides

Latest posts

Latest posts