What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Click here for Afropip Durban Poison, and GN Thai Stick or don't. I dont care.

djimb

Veteran
Gorgeous as always, Dave! And what a stark difference between the bud structure of the phenos.

I've been curious about the rosebud pheno. Maybe I missed it, but did you name it based on its aroma? I remember reading a long time ago about a line of Flo that was maintained by Mr. Alkaline (I think?) That was supposed to have a very strong rose scent. It seems to be pretty uncommon.

That metallic purple leaf is stunning. I can only hope one of my seedlings or the remaining seeds grows into something like that.

xet

Here are the other two sub-types I found in the F2s. Rosebud, and Metallic Purple as Ive come to call them. Both were finished by Day 80, maybe even a week sooner. but yielded the least and had lots more sugar leaf. It felt like half the yield of these two groups was sugar leaf trim. Buds were small and delicate protectively buried underneath lots of sugar leaf trim, that was coated with loads of resin heads.

The Rosebuds and Metallic Purples each individually occur around 15-16% of the time according to my latest run, but that could change as I grow out more F2s.

While pretty to look at, if you want any type of yield, it wont be these two groups. Still excellent stash weed for the true pot snobs heh.

Rosebud L&M, MP R.
View Image

Rosebud

View Image

Metallic Purple
View Image

If you wonder about the Metallic Purple name, check out this fan leaf that belonged to the plant that produced the above buds. Both plants expressed this trait as we got deeper into flowering, but one plant made the other plant look like an amateur in its efforts.

View Image

Beautiful plant. The metallic purple looks like this Black Widow https://www.mrnice.nl/forum/12-outdoor/11813-haze-outdoors-2013-2014-a-68.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• bbww1.jpg
    bbww1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 27

baduy

Could it be that the mystery cross is a blueberry. I hear Afropips did several crosses of their African strains with Blueberry. I never grown blueberry as it's not really a thing in Europe so I can't tell but those colors are reminiscent of BB pics I've seen

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Hey Dave, beautiful work man, I love the fact that you are digging deep into these genetics! Hows the DP smoke? Heard nothing but good things. Peace

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Gorgeous as always, Dave! And what a stark difference between the bud structure of the phenos.

I've been curious about the rosebud pheno. Maybe I missed it, but did you name it based on its aroma? I remember reading a long time ago about a line of Flo that was maintained by Mr. Alkaline (I think?) That was supposed to have a very strong rose scent. It seems to be pretty uncommon.

That metallic purple leaf is stunning. I can only hope one of my seedlings or the remaining seeds grows into something like that.

Thanks DJimb! I chose the name Rosebud because the flowers were so delicate and lovely to look at. It had nothing to do with the smell, but that'd make for an interesting plant if I ever found one that smelled like a rose. I agree with you about it being uncommon, perhaps even rare. Its really amazing how MJ can smell like so many other items in this world.

You weren't the only one stunned by the metallic purple leaves. I had NEVER witnessed any leaf like that on any previous plant I had grown out, and Ive been growing since 2009. This trait didn't pop up in the F1's at all. Im hoping to find other plants in the F2's that exhibit this trait. Im sure there is a small handful of them in some of these seeds, but likely less than 10% of plants will end up this way. Who knows I might grow another 100 plants and never see another one like this, which would make me sad panda.

Ill have my fingers crossed for you and anyone else that picks up a pack of Durban. The trait only expressed itself from mid-flowering on, so keep them fan leaves healthy and green for along as you can until the anthocyanin pigments begin to emerge.

A shot of Rosebud shortly before the chop.

picture.php

Thanks a bunch Xet. I was very fond of her. That Black Widow looks amazing. I grew out some of Shantis Black Widow years ago, and never saw anything that nice!

Could it be that the mystery cross is a blueberry. I hear Afropips did several crosses of their African strains with Blueberry. I never grown blueberry as it's not really a thing in Europe so I can't tell but those colors are reminiscent of BB pics I've seen

I know his Sangoma, Malberry have Blueberry in them, so who knows..I dont have any experience with Blueberry to say one way or another.

I want to get the Durban tested by Phylos. Ive emailed Phylos Galaxy and inquired if I would be able to purchase a genetics kit even though Im in an unfriendly state, but they never replied to me. Great customer service guys... Eventually I hope to get a chance to get it tested and have a better understanding of whats in this line.

Hey Dave, beautiful work man, I love the fact that you are digging deep into these genetics! Hows the DP smoke? Heard nothing but good things. Peace

Glad you enjoyed them Buddah. Im really excited to see what I can find in this line. Its become one of my all time favorites to work with. Hard to beat the colors, terp profiles, interesting characteristics they're giving me.

As for the high, Its great if you want to disconnect from the world for awhile and get lost in your thoughts. Sometimes Ill tune out for a short period of time, and suddenly come back to reality, not quite realizing what has gone on in the period of time that has passed. I experienced that period of time, but I dont quite recall what I may have done during that period. Almost like a weed blackout. Kinda like smoking, and going for a drive, and before you know it you've already traveled halfway across the city, and the last memory you have is just pulling out of the driveway... Sams Hazeskunk did that often to me, which has become a trait I find highly desirable in lines I grow now.

I also enjoy the time warping effects the Durban has on me. I could be listening to music for an hour, and look at the clock to see only 20 minutes have passed by. It also definitely does not lend itself towards being productive, or energetic, at least IME. :)

It doesn't put me into a stupor, or any kind of dull high, but instead deep relaxation and a care-free attitude. Life's many stresses just fade away.

This long in depth look at the high is brought to you by DurbanxThai buds. Its that Thai side that made me do this!!!!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Ive got some good news and some bad news on the Afropips DP Reproduction. Good news is that they've arrived safely to their destination. Bad news is that it'll be awhile longer before they are listed. Panikz is currently on vacation, so we'll have to wait till he returns before we see it listed. Maybe 2 more weeks perhaps..

Dave Coulier

Veteran
(Afropips Durban Poisonx Gypsy Thai) x Classic Seeds(Colombian Gold x Sour Diesel)

Late flowering..Around 100 Days or so. I started like 5 seeds of this accidental cross, and I ended up with only one plant, which luckily was a female. Ive been very impressed with what Im seeing. Huge chunky calyxes that are overloaded with resin heads covering her long spears. Ill have to start a few more of these seeds soon and see what other goodies are waiting to be discovered. This lady is gonna be harvested pretty soon. Maybe within a week or less.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

djimb

Veteran
Ill have my fingers crossed for you and anyone else that picks up a pack of Durban. The trait only expressed itself from mid-flowering on, so keep them fan leaves healthy and green for along as you can until the anthocyanin pigments begin to emerge.

That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be growing outside this year. I've grown Flo and Purple Malawi indoors and I didn't feel like I saw their real potential in regards to pigment. The one big plant I had outdoors in Oregon put on quite a show as it finished though. I feel like overall light intensity and spectrum make a huge difference in expression of autumn colors. I feel like you've Saud you're running mixed HPS and CMH, is that right? I can't wait for the day I can get serious indoors.

I want to get the Durban tested by Phylos. Ive emailed Phylos Galaxy and inquired if I would be able to purchase a genetics kit even though Im in an unfriendly state, but they never replied to me. Great customer service guys... Eventually I hope to get a chance to get it tested and have a better understanding of

Have you reached out to Sam? He was soliciting samples to be sent for free to Phylos a while back, though it sounded like it took a long time for samples to make it into the galaxy.

If the legality of a source is an issue for them, it might not hurt to talk with one of the other testers about sending in a sample. I can think of three off the top of my head who are legal on the west coast.

Those macros are incredible! Did you end up getting a new/used lens or are you just getting really good at cropping?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
That's one of the reasons I'm glad to be growing outside this year. I've grown Flo and Purple Malawi indoors and I didn't feel like I saw their real potential in regards to pigment. The one big plant I had outdoors in Oregon put on quite a show as it finished though. I feel like overall light intensity and spectrum make a huge difference in expression of autumn colors. I feel like you've Saud you're running mixed HPS and CMH, is that right? I can't wait for the day I can get serious indoors.

Funny how you want to get serious indoor, id love to be able to do some serious growing outdoors. Too risky around here to do that on any large scale. I can only imagine the nice autumn colors you may get outdoors. I hope to see how the DP expresses itself outdoors in some of you'alls gardens. Should be a lovely show of colors.

I have run HPS/MH before, but the HPS plants always experience upper canopy fade much quicker than the MH side. Im not a fan of seeing upper canopy leaves turning yellow by day 40. If thats happening, yield is already negatively affected. Using only MH for awhile, it took longer for the upper canopy to yellow out, and yield saw an improvement.

Now Im currently using CMH & MH, and the plants underneath the CMH have not disappointed me. The plants under the CMH stay greener for even longer than the MH plants. Granted, its 315wcmh vs 600w MH, but I still want to add more CMH to my garden. CMH gets my thumbs up.

Have you reached out to Sam? He was soliciting samples to be sent for free to Phylos a while back, though it sounded like it took a long time for samples to make it into the galaxy.

I did send him a pm along time ago when he was asking for samples. I offered up the Gypsy Thai and anything else he may have been interested in. Never got a reply back.*shrug*

If the legality of a source is an issue for them, it might not hurt to talk with one of the other testers about sending in a sample. I can think of three off the top of my head who are legal on the west coast.

I know of one poster I think I could accomplish the job. I should reach out to him and see if there is anyway he can help a guy out. He's sent in quite a few samples before, so I doubt he'd take the money and run
biggrin.gif

Those macros are incredible! Did you end up getting a new/used lens or are you just getting really good at cropping?

Well...Ive still been lazy in getting my macro lens purchased. I did discover a new feature on my camera that has helped me alot in my manual focusing. Its helping me get much sharper photos, which give me better chances of having some really nice crops. Extension tubes FTW!
tiphat.gif

djimb

Veteran
Funny how you want to get serious indoor, id love to be able to do some serious growing outdoors. Too risky around here to do that on any large scale. I can only imagine the nice autumn colors you may get outdoors. I hope to see how the DP expresses itself outdoors in some of you'alls gardens. Should be a lovely show of colors.

The trouble with outdoor at this latitude is that my primary interest is in long flowering tropical varieties. I'd love to be able to properly finish the PNG and the Hmong Thai x Highland Laos, but It's not going to happen here.

In a perfect world, I'd have a heated greenhouse for bud production/parent selection and a hepa filtered room or two for pollination.

Alternatively, a piece of land at about 2500 meters altitude, and residency/citizenship in Colombia might be better. I think I could be happy with a 20 plant limit. I'd probably still need an indoor space for pollination and/or WLD strains though.

Now Im currently using CMH & MH, and the plants underneath the CMH have not disappointed me. The plants under the CMH stay greener for even longer than the MH plants. Granted, its 315wcmh vs 600w MH, but I still want to add more CMH to my garden. CMH gets my thumbs up.

I've heard nothing but good about CMH. When I was planning my grow space before being forced outdoors, I was debating between a 315 CMH or LED strip lights. I feel like the primary benefit of the LEDs is more even coverage. In a small space, I'd love to try a combination of CMH overhead and LED side lighting.

I know of one poster I think I could accomplish the job. I should reach out to him and see if there is anyway he can help a guy out. He's sent in quite a few samples before, so I doubt he'd take the money and run

Hopefully you can find some way to get a sample sent in. It would be really interesting to see what it's closest relatives are.

Well...Ive still been lazy in getting my macro lens purchased. I did discover a new feature on my camera that has helped me alot in my manual focusing. Its helping me get much sharper photos, which give me better chances of having some really nice crops. Extension tubes FTW!

With results like that, I don't think you need a macro lens. Unless you want to get even closer and maybe get a shot of an individual trichome.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
The trouble with outdoor at this latitude is that my primary interest is in long flowering tropical varieties. I'd love to be able to properly finish the PNG and the Hmong Thai x Highland Laos, but It's not going to happen here.

In a perfect world, I'd have a heated greenhouse for bud production/parent selection and a hepa filtered room or two for pollination.

Alternatively, a piece of land at about 2500 meters altitude, and residency/citizenship in Colombia might be better. I think I could be happy with a 20 plant limit. I'd probably still need an indoor space for pollination and/or WLD strains though.

You've quite the conundrum on your hands. I hope that someday you'll be able to finish them outdoors. Maybe start some small ones indoors, and flower them for 2-3 months before moving outdoors to finish off. Its something.

I've heard nothing but good about CMH. When I was planning my grow space before being forced outdoors, I was debating between a 315 CMH or LED strip lights. I feel like the primary benefit of the LEDs is more even coverage. In a small space, I'd love to try a combination of CMH overhead and LED side lighting.

Give it a go and let us know how it goes. That side lighting is something alot of us probably neglect. A good idea from another thread where a member recommends hanging up Reflectix? from HD/Lowes around your plants, a bit lower than the upper canopy. Just hang it from the ceiling around your plants to keep that light where it needs to stay. I think ill pursue this and let you guys know how it goes.

Hopefully you can find some way to get a sample sent in. It would be really interesting to see what it's closest relatives are.

I too am anxious to see what relatives there may be. Got to get on that soon.

With results like that, I don't think you need a macro lens. Unless you want to get even closer and maybe get a shot of an individual trichome.

Oh man Id love an individual shot of a trichome head. Ive finally went ahead and ordered a macro lens. Every day I kept changing my mind on which one I would buy, but I decided to go with a
Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 SMC Macro Lens. Its a bit older with less bells and whistles than newer macro lenses, but for the $200 price tag it was worth it.

At some point Id love to get a Yasuhara Nanoha 5x Macro lens for extreme closeups. It even has built in LED lighting so no need for a flash ring, with clamps to hold the subject matter...buds lol. That'll only set me back a cool $500. Gonna have to save up for that one for abit. :(

Dave Coulier

Veteran
DurbanThaixGolden Diesel

DurbanThaixGolden Diesel

Some follow up shots of the finished buds of the DTGD that I harvested recently. I think she came down around 100-110 Days or so. She had some of the biggest calyxes of any plant in the garden, and they were all covered in copious amounts of deep amber heads.

She had a fair bit of milky/clear resin heads when harvested, but after a week of drying, and a few days extra in a vented container, nearly all her resin glands are now deep amber. Buds have even taken on a golden-amber appearance. Perhaps thats where the golden color comes from regarding Colombian Gold..?? She's even got purple calyxes, but its hard to tell from a distance thanks to the amber shine.

Ill save a chunk of it for a long term cure and smoke test/report perhaps. Had no plans on pursuing this accidental cross too much, but If Ive got some more seeds left over, I think Ill pop them and see what other goodies lay inside.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Right before Harvest

picture.php

Post Harvest
picture.php

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
Have you noticed any lavender smells, or what you expect would be linalool.. Definitely looks like some tasty flowery stuff matey

I never thought about it, but that would be wild if the idea you mentioned about amber trichs being related to columbian gold name... Makes plenty of sense.

Maybe one day i'll get a chance to try some of your stuff matey.. I'll post some of my Durban soon, just babies right now. Fans started fat, and getting skinny though. Upgraded to lighting a bit too for some 2700k to balance all my blue\uv.

Peace!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Have you noticed any lavender smells, or what you expect would be linalool.. Definitely looks like some tasty flowery stuff matey

I never thought about it, but that would be wild if the idea you mentioned about amber trichs being related to columbian gold name... Makes plenty of sense.

Maybe one day i'll get a chance to try some of your stuff matey.. I'll post some of my Durban soon, just babies right now. Fans started fat, and getting skinny though. Upgraded to lighting a bit too for some 2700k to balance all my blue\uv.

Peace!

Can't say Ive noticed any lavender in this girl. To me its sweet & spicy, with very subtle notes of menthol-pine, and just a dash of pungency. Tastes just as good.

Ive got a Fury 2 Vaporizer on its way, so when I do smoke tests for these buds Ill get a really good idea of what they taste like too. Can't wait!

Who did you end up going with for your DP? Ace, CBG? Please do share some photos of your plants here later on. Im sure we'd all enjoy seeing some different Durban around here.

Hope you'll get a chance to give the Afropips DP repro a run someday. Id love to see how it compares to other DP's out there.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
picture.php

Sneak peek day 34 Seedsman Early Durban I believe it was. PH has been fixed since the picture. They should start to really take off now. Thats the chunky monkey, the other looks more Sativa thin fans, but had severe calcium deficiency spots pop up before I got water\PH situation fixed... I wasn't using good quality 0ppm water until recently.

The lanky thing in the back is a Mama Thai which definitely need to be matured before flowered, but I'm just doing little 12-12 from seed testers to find something worth turning into a momma.. After the smoke test then I'll give the special girl the whole light to make a stash for myself to last while I maybe try to play with throwing pollen.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
That Early Durban looks much superior to anything I found in the line so many years ago. Looks like you're doing an excellent job with them.

djimb

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You've quite the conundrum on your hands. I hope that someday you'll be able to finish them outdoors. Maybe start some small ones indoors, and flower them for 2-3 months before moving outdoors to finish off. Its something.
[/FONT]

If I could, I'd either do that or finish them indoors in the fall/winter. There's been more public talk about rec legalization around here, and the last bill that was introduced and stalled a few years ago would have allowed for home grows. I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out and hoping... or moving somewhere else. If I lived by myself, I'd have converted a whole bedroom by now, with a couple 630 CMH and LED strips. Family's gotta come first, though.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oh man Id love an individual shot of a trichome head. Ive finally went ahead and ordered a macro lens. Every day I kept changing my mind on which one I would buy, but I decided to go with a
Pentax FA 50mm f2.8 SMC Macro Lens. Its a bit older with less bells and whistles than newer macro lenses, but for the $200 price tag it was worth it.

At some point Id love to get a Yasuhara Nanoha 5x Macro lens for extreme closeups. It even has built in LED lighting so no need for a flash ring, with clamps to hold the subject matter...buds lol. That'll only set me back a cool $500. Gonna have to save up for that one for abit. :(
[/FONT]

That lens looks good! It's really well reviewed.

With a 1:1 macro, extension tubes, and your skill for cropping, I bet you could get pretty close to individual trichomes. With a 5:1, I could see you doing studies of the role environmental factors play on the efficiency of xylem cells in transporting nutrients. Can't wait for that thread!

I'd say I hope all is well in your garden, but I know it is. Keep it up.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
If I could, I'd either do that or finish them indoors in the fall/winter. There's been more public talk about rec legalization around here, and the last bill that was introduced and stalled a few years ago would have allowed for home grows. I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out and hoping... or moving somewhere else. If I lived by myself, I'd have converted a whole bedroom by now, with a couple 630 CMH and LED strips. Family's gotta come first, though.

That lens looks good! It's really well reviewed.

With a 1:1 macro, extension tubes, and your skill for cropping, I bet you could get pretty close to individual trichomes. With a 5:1, I could see you doing studies of the role environmental factors play on the efficiency of xylem cells in transporting nutrients. Can't wait for that thread!

I'd say I hope all is well in your garden, but I know it is. Keep it up.

I hope your legal situation improves around your parts someday soon. A legal home grow would be a dream come true. Ive never had any hope that it'll come to pass in my home state :biggrin:, but that aint stopping me baby!

Ive got the lens in and I tried it out with the extension tubes, but the macro lens is so long that it makes the flash useless for up close photography. Im considering this Port a Cube Led Light tent

With the overhead led lighting Ill be better able to illuminate the subject. Ive considered a flash ring, but thats $400 for a quality one. The cheap ones are well cheap garbage from China.

I think Ill save that Role environmental factors play on the efficiency of xylem cells in transporting nutrients, thread for someone else! You crazy!:biggrin:

On a side note, I just put 50 Durban F2s into 2 oz containers this morning. Time to work through the remaining seeds and look for some standout plants to make the F3 generation with. Im secretly hoping for a Metallic Fan leaf Pheno with Rosebuds bud structure. That'd make for one gorgeous looking plant.

11 of the seeds started were from the DP-D F1 plant. I only got a small amount of seeds from her sadly, but Ill take what she gave me and maybe Ill find something of quality in there. The remaining 39 seeds come from a mixture of 3 different Moms @ 1 Daddy.

Still got around 100+ more seeds to work through as well. Aiming to start them all this year.

Dr.Young

K+ vibes
Veteran
picture.php

Little update of the Early durban day 49... Almost done.... Definitely want to get another pack or 2, and hunt for something maybe better. Looks good already, if there is better than.... Pretty special to me.

I'd like to see how your stuff looks in my environment one day...

Latest posts

Latest posts