What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzo

Veteran
WOW! :yoinks: My thoughts exactly Babba ya'll some heavy Buddha dudes! Thank you all that responded to my plee for a new truck, oh....uh..... i mean my post!!! Im going tio evening gongyo at the center at 6:30 so ill have to add what i posted about to my chanting, once again im blown away, i love all of you and this thread from the bottom of my heart, man are we one blessed group of people OR WHAT!!!! I just cant get over it sometimes, all the time really. :yoinks:

Wow man heavy goose bumps, gotta let em settle a bit............. ill be back!!

peace, love and deepest respect

bonz :wave:

:woohoo: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :woohoo:

G

You can Chant for Anything!

You can Chant for Anything!

PassTheDoobie said:
We have experienced something personally that has led us to believe that the ultimate Law of Life and karma is, cause and effect. There is individual karma and there is collective karma. Why do all of the people from varying backgrounds sometimes have collective fates (9/11 for example)?

We believe that the environment reflects the collective karma of those who inhabit it. We have come to accept a view, based on personal experience, that there is a means for individuals to change their Karma, and bring out their Buddha Nature. That is why we chant.

The belief is that the more people that chant, the more the environment of all living things is influenced as an effect of that cause. We are all devoted to achieve happiness in our daily lives and to hopefully express to society through our efforts, a reason to be curious about this NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO, and try it for themselves.

We believe at a point in time in the future, through the efforts of really nothing more than our daily practice, we can influence the numbers of people it will require to "Pacify the land, through the propagation of the law." Kosen Rufu. I.E.: If enough people chant, the ozone layer will heal, the droughts and floods will stop, the earth will become benign to it's inhabitants and people throughout the world will respect the sanctity of life, based on respect for the Buddha Nature in all things.

I never thought I would be discussing it in a reefer forum, but there you have it.

T

From The Man Himself!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you seek enlightenment outside yourself, then your performing even ten thousand practices and ten thousand good deeds will be in vain. It is like the case of a poor man who spends night and day counting his neighbor's wealth but gains not even half a coin. That is why the T'ien-t'ai school's commentary states, "Unless one perceives the nature of one's life, one cannot eradicate one's grave offenses." This passage implies that, unless one perceives the nature of one's life, one's practice will become an endless, painful austerity.

[ On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime, WND Page 3 ]

Bonzo

Veteran
Well ya'll i just got back from evening gongyo at the center and ya'll wont beleive what happened. Well its not THAT unbeleivable but it was trippy, I started chanting Nam myoho renge kyo and it allways takes me a second to get focused, anyhow i found my rythem and was feelin good , allways starting off with my desire for my faith to forever deepen then i move on to other things , well when i got around to thinking about my post all i could think about was all the positive responses i got from everyone here so this thread and all who contribute got all my daimoku tonite, and you know what, i feel fuckin' great!!!!

Did i fail? I dunno. I feel good, how could failure result in such happiness?

confused :confused:

thank you all again from the bottom of my heart!

peace and deepest respect.

much love , bonz

:dance: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :dance:

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
I must say i dont qute understand the last 2 posts, i know one thing for sure i dont go around couting anyones pennies but my own, tight now im not concerened with how so and so got his or her new truck i want to know how to get one for myself, with my own 2 hands and the head atop my shoulders. I must say i used to do that but that envious feeling and wolloeing in self pitty has left me , do ya'll remember when i said i was beginning to think i was dealt a royal flush in life and now is the time to play my hand? Well thats how i feel its time for me to play MY hand not someone elses, i admit it the last 2 posts i dont understand completely, matbe they will make more sense tomorrow.

peace and love

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>

Guys I can't sleep, I feel so scared and so alone, this is a house full of people but they are all asleep and I am just having so many spiraling thoughts about the illusion of reality etc as outline in the teachings of Buddhism. I need help from anyone who can answer questions for me or point me to someone who can. Read this quote and then my question and see if you can put me at ease.

"The first part of the Eightfold Noble Path is RIGHT VIEW or RIGHT UNDERSTANDING. This means knowing the Four Noble Truths.

The First Noble Truth is the knowledge that ALL that has been CREATED is IMPERMANENT. And whatever is impermanent is inherently ILL. And what is impermanent and ill is SELFLESS.

Two is the knowledge that the arising of ill is based on ignorance and it is perpetuated by the craving and intoxication for sensuality and sensations, becoming and rebecoming, delusion and ignorance.

Three is the knowledge that the CEASING of this ill that has arisen, the stopping of all future becomings, is Nirvana. True Reality realized, freed of this ill.

Four is the knowledge of the Eightfold Noble Path that leads to the cessation of this ill and to winning the goal: Nirvana. True Permanent State of Self, Permanent Changeless Absolute Reality ITSELF, Suchness, Perfect Wisdom.

The second part is RIGHT THINKING or RIGHT AIM. This means to aspire to attain realization of Perfect Wisdom, the Ultimate True Permanent Reality. To abstain from all evil acts of thought. To attain the total destruction of all cravings. To renounce all manifesting, all constructions, all that is "created" make-believe."

I want to believe that everyone is currently making the reality I live in and not just myself. I want to believe there is a world out there outside the point of view that I see, the area that I see at any given time I need to believe there is more than that. The thought process I am in right now because of my near ego deaths is that everything I see is an illusion it is all one thing just assembled differently on the fly, overwritting creating the illusion of time. I see the similarities in the way people look, I see myself in everyone, I see my dad in people, etc. Now are these people beings just like me, are all of you living lifes like me or is everyone I see part of me, I mean Buddhism teaches that there is no seperation, all is one and one is all, I have felt this when near ego death. So have I created everything I've ever lived? All my friends, everything I've read, am I just an insane man talking to myself. My problem is that my friends my family they all say of course we are real and no we aren't constructs of your mind...but wouldn't your mind have that be the case anyways...Just really lost and scared everyone :(

scegy

morning bonzo:D goose bumps for me too, it's just a pleasure to see you work and think like that, you have become your own master, far from any expectation that you had i believe! so you THINK other things in life go this way? ;) :wave:

we are here and we have the power to change, no excusses!
respect to all of you!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Leo!

Hi Leo!

LeoNardoDaVinci said:
Guys I can't sleep, I feel so scared and so alone, this is a house full of people but they are all asleep and I am just having so many spiraling thoughts about the illusion of reality etc as outline in the teachings of Buddhism. I need help from anyone who can answer questions for me or point me to someone who can. Read this quote and then my question and see if you can put me at ease.

"The first part of the Eightfold Noble Path is RIGHT VIEW or RIGHT UNDERSTANDING. This means knowing the Four Noble Truths.

The First Noble Truth is the knowledge that ALL that has been CREATED is IMPERMANENT. And whatever is impermanent is inherently ILL. And what is impermanent and ill is SELFLESS.

Two is the knowledge that the arising of ill is based on ignorance and it is perpetuated by the craving and intoxication for sensuality and sensations, becoming and rebecoming, delusion and ignorance.

Three is the knowledge that the CEASING of this ill that has arisen, the stopping of all future becomings, is Nirvana. True Reality realized, freed of this ill.

Four is the knowledge of the Eightfold Noble Path that leads to the cessation of this ill and to winning the goal: Nirvana. True Permanent State of Self, Permanent Changeless Absolute Reality ITSELF, Suchness, Perfect Wisdom.

The second part is RIGHT THINKING or RIGHT AIM. This means to aspire to attain realization of Perfect Wisdom, the Ultimate True Permanent Reality. To abstain from all evil acts of thought. To attain the total destruction of all cravings. To renounce all manifesting, all constructions, all that is "created" make-believe."

I want to believe that everyone is currently making the reality I live in and not just myself. I want to believe there is a world out there outside the point of view that I see, the area that I see at any given time I need to believe there is more than that. The thought process I am in right now because of my near ego deaths is that everything I see is an illusion it is all one thing just assembled differently on the fly, overwritting creating the illusion of time. I see the similarities in the way people look, I see myself in everyone, I see my dad in people, etc. Now are these people beings just like me, are all of you living lifes like me or is everyone I see part of me, I mean Buddhism teaches that there is no seperation, all is one and one is all, I have felt this when near ego death. So have I created everything I've ever lived? All my friends, everything I've read, am I just an insane man talking to myself. My problem is that my friends my family they all say of course we are real and no we aren't constructs of your mind...but wouldn't your mind have that be the case anyways...Just really lost and scared everyone :(

I know I don't have time to fully explain this, but will do my best in the amount of time that I do. First of all, whenever one feels fear, one is experiencing delusion—according to the teachings of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. We feel fear or feel alone when we are unaware that we—just as we are—are Buddhas. There is nothing that I am aware of in the teachings of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo that one might consider frightening; only teachings that would be considered enlightening. But understand that the teachings of Shakyamuni that clarified the Buddha Nature inherent in all things occurred at the end of his lifetime of teachings; not at the beginning.

Second, in terms of teachings, you are mixing apples and oranges. The eightfold path and four noble truths are from the Agama Sutras. These early teachings of Shakyamuni (from the beginning of his teaching life as “The Buddha" or Enlightened One) are primarily practiced by the Theravada School and are referred to as Hinayana Buddhism (Lesser Vehicle) teachings, and focus on the salvation of self; versus Mahayana Buddhism (Greater Vehicle) teachings, which focus ones efforts towards the salvation of others. The Hinayana do not believe that the Buddha Nature is something that already exists in the individual. We believe Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to represent the highest practice of Mahayana teachings and that we can attain enlightenment in our present form. That type of belief can be found nowhere in any of these early teachings of Shakyamuni.

So if you have decided to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, you will become very confused if you just research “Buddhism”. What I am saying is that you can throw out worrying about mastering everything you just wrote that I have put in “bold.” The merit of following the precepts of the four noble truths and the eightfold path are all contained within the “precept of the diamond chalice.” To make it easy on both of us, here is a dictionary definition of this concept:

precept of the diamond chalice
[金剛宝器戒] (Jpn.: kongo-hoki-kai)

Also, diamond precept or diamond-treasure precept. The precept that, like a diamond chalice, is impossible to break. The term appears in the Brahma Net Sutra, which states, "This precept of the diamond chalice is the source of all Buddhas, the source of all bodhisattvas, and the seed of the Buddha nature." In The Secret Commentary on the Aspect of the Diamond Precept, Dengyo (767-822) interpreted the Buddha nature, or the true aspect of all phenomena mentioned in the Lotus Sutra, as the diamond chalice. The precept of the diamond chalice thus means to embrace the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren (1222-1282) interpreted the embracing of the Law of Myoho-renge-kyo, the essence of the Lotus Sutra, as the precept of the diamond chalice and taught that, by observing this single precept, one can manifest the three bodies of a Buddha-the Dharma body, the reward body, and the manifested body-and receive benefit equal to that of observing all other good precepts. In The Teaching, Practice, and Proof, Nichiren writes: "The five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the essential teaching of the Lotus Sutra, contain the benefit amassed through the countless practices and meritorious deeds of all Buddhas throughout the three existences. Then, how can these five characters not include the benefits obtained by observing all of the Buddhas' precepts? Once the practitioner embraces this perfectly endowed wonderful precept, he cannot break it, even if he should try. It is therefore called the precept of the diamond chalice" (WND pg. 481).

From source: The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism

Just chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in itself is practicing all the precepts.

“I want to believe that everyone is currently making the reality I live in and not just myself.” It is both the others and yourself that create the reality you exist in. This is referred to as the principle of “Dependent Origination.” But everything that others do in relationship to you is the effect of causes that you alone have made.

“I want to believe there is a world out there outside the point of view that I see, the area that I see at any given time I need to believe there is more than that.” That is a fact. Unless one claims themselves to be enlightened, then they are a common mortal. All common mortals suffer from delusion. If you are deluded then what you see is is a reflection of that delusion. But if your fear is one of questioning whether or not we all exist, well Brother, we sure aren’t teaching the Matrix here. Yes we all exist, albeit in a reality we may not perceive in its true state.

“The thought process I am in right now because of my near ego deaths is that everything I see is an illusion it is all one thing just assembled differently on the fly, overwritting creating the illusion of time.” You lost me on that one.

“I see the similarities in the way people look, I see myself in everyone, I see my dad in people, etc.” According to this Buddhism of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, you have already lived countless lives and come into contact with all of the people you do now as a result of having been in contact with them in the past. This is never-ending.

“Now are these people beings just like me, are all of you living lifes like me or is everyone I see part of me, I mean Buddhism teaches that there is no seperation, all is one and one is all,…” We are all connected infinitely, but we all manifest as sentient beings as separate entities. We are not manifestations, nor are others or the environment we live in, of some sort of illusion. We are manifestations of the Law of Cause and Effect (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo). We are real. We are all real.

“So have I created everything I've ever lived?” In a manner of speaking, yes. Through your actions you have created causes and those causes manifest as the effects of life experience that make up your life. You are responsible for everything that has ever happened to you, both good and bad.

“My problem is that my friends my family they all say of course we are real and no we aren't constructs of your mind...but wouldn't your mind have that be the case anyways...” Much of what you are asking cannot be understood on the basis of pure intellectual evaluation. Go back in the thread and start studying. We are all here to help in any way that we can. I hope this has helped, but if not I will do my best to clarify anything that was confusing.

Much love to all! Leo got all my time! I’ll catch up with the rest of you later!

T

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This almost got past me!

This almost got past me!

Capt. Crip said:
Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Hey Brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR STOPPING IN! DON'T BE A STRANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love and deep respect!

Thomas

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PTD you are the man. Leonardo thankyou for your post I bow in obeisance to you all :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tell you all, you want to get liberated, go back and read some of this thread. Its is simply amazing .
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Kyo'o's misfortune will change into fortune. Muster your faith, and pray to this Gohonzon. Then what is there that cannot be achieved? There can be no doubt about the sutra passages that say, "This sutra can fulfill their desires, as a clear cool pond can satisfy all those who are thirsty," and "The will enjoy peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences."

[ Reply to Kyo'o, WND Page 412 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bonzo said:
Any how i feel the need to be doing something im passionate about, i have thought of setting up a small shop and biulding Butsudans?

Minly though i have been feeling giulty for wnting some of the finer things in life that ive never had before, like a new truck! Is that a wrong thing to want /desire? I would like to own a home and just let my mom live the way she chooses without any finacial worry. Is the gesire ti become financially stable with some left over to share and play with a bad one? The way isee it the better my life is the better those lives of the people around me will be, and that goes for people i donet even know. Just people i run into, i allways want to give more than recieve, but dangit i want a new truck and a house! Is that wrong?

help me , im confused.

peace and my deepest love to you all

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you actually made the Butsudan that I saw the picture of, I would say that would be a real opportunity. You are hooking up pretty good at the Friendship Center, and you have the internet (and maybe some chanting growers?) to also consider as potential customers.

I can't even believe you are asking if it's Ok to ask for "finer life" things. I thought you knew me better than that!:wave:As the post says, "You can chant for anything", Bonz. Anything.

I won't embarrass myself with a declaration of the diversity of my answered prayers over these many years, but believe me, I have personally chanted for everything. Everything. I got it all. Some of what I got turned out to not be what I thought it would be.

Bonno-soku-bodai baby!

earthly desires are enlightenment
[煩悩即菩提] (Jpn.: bonno-soku-bodai)

A Mahayana principle based on the view that earthly desires cannot exist independently on their own; therefore one can attain enlightenment without eliminating earthly desires. This contrasts with the Hinayana view that extinguishing earthly desires is a prerequisite for enlightenment. According to the Hinayana teachings, earthly desires and enlightenment are two independent and opposing factors, and the two cannot coexist; while the Mahayana teachings reveal that earthly desires are one with and inseparable from enlightenment. This is because all things, even earthly desires and enlightenment, are manifestations of the unchanging reality or truth-and thus are non-dual at their source.

The Universal Worthy Sutra, an epilogue to the Lotus Sutra, states, "Without either cutting off earthly desires or separating themselves from the five desires, they can purify all their senses and wipe away all their offenses." T'ien-t'ai (538-597) says in Great Concentration and Insight, "The ignorance and dust of desires are enlightenment, and the sufferings of birth and death are nirvana." In The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, Nichiren (1222-1282) states: "The idea of gradually overcoming delusions is not the ultimate meaning of the 'Life Span' chapter [of the Lotus Sutra]. You should understand that the ultimate meaning of this chapter is that ordinary mortals, just as they are in their original state of being, are Buddhas," and, "Today, when Nichiren and his followers recite the words Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, they are burning the firewood of earthly desires, summoning up the wisdom-fire of enlightenment."

From source: The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism

Chant like hell and go for the truck. Chant for a home to host meetings in for the sake of shakubuku'ing your mom (living with you). Hide and watch where that prayer takes you.

Love to you my Brother!

T

Last edited:
Thank you PTD for taking the time to try and explain some concepts to me. I hope in time my fear will leave me as well as this delusion.

Edit: I worry that I am in some type of imprisonment for something I did along time ago and it was so long ago the memories are so deep seeded in the sub concious but my concious mind is unaware. Who am I really? It has been so long I have forgotten... So much of me wishes I could take back my pyschedelic usage...what have I really gained...

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It also states that, if the minds of living beings are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure or impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 4) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, November 8th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When we unwaveringly determine to take action and be victorious
all the wisdom and strength we need will naturally arise.
With the courage, patience and perseverance to take one more step forwards,
let's open up a great new path!

Daisaku Ikeda

G

I resolve to change my karma!

I resolve to change my karma!

Almost 3 hours of daimoku, also did gongyo driving then alot more daimoku.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

rastamonunika

Love it!

Love it!

Love it =)

Feel the Oneness within everyone and everything =) Thats why i love the Internet, to me it symbolizes Humanities ability to be connected with eachother, if they choose to put the energy into connecting with others. . .

lovely thread =) Has anyone thought of doing a group meditation/chant session>? If anyone is interested in setting up a multi-national/time zone meditation for peace and love PM me and maybe we can get something together =)

for now i leave you with some lovely lyrics of which i did not write:

To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a Heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

lots of Love and Light
unika

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Welcome to our new friend rastamonunika and his seeking spirit. Thanks for dropping in buddy !
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts