Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie said:
Let's express our heartfelt gratitude
when people show their kindness and thoughtfulness!
And let's respond, with our utmost sincerity,
whenever others offer sincere words or action!
This is what will create momentum toward our victory!

Daisaku Ikeda
:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dear friends awaiting responses to PM's:

I am up to my ass in alligators. I am chanting 4 to 5 hours a day. I am faced with real adversity. I shall prevail. It's my mission to prevail. However, I am rather short on time to compose a whole lot, and am too focussed on my family and overcoming these obstacles. As usual things have not gotten better, they have gotten worse. As a result, I am sure my victory will come in dramatic fashion, but I cannot relax until it is achieved. Thanks for your patience and support.

Thomas

G

Congrats PTD, I'm banging them out here on this end too! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Congrats PTD, I'm banging them out here on this end too! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

I was just about to post, then I clicked back to the thread and read your post T and you know we are here for you. I will organize a few toso over the next couple weeks and before we begin I will humbly ask everyone to send daimoku your way. In other words, keep fighting your good fight and suffer what there is to suffer and enjoy what there is to enjoy dear Teacher. You have the Spirit of The Lion King, my hearfelt Congratulations are in order.

I am very proud of your strength and determination, I am excited to simply becoming privy of the impending victory. Three cheers for your struggles and the lessons and inspiration that will flow as a result of your actions. So we are all entrenched in battle, From Socal to Fallen, Scegy to Babba, we all struggle but by embracing Nam-myoho-renge-kyo you realize there is only One vehicle to get where you gotta go.... and it goes like this with the power and fercious strength of a powerful Lion...

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

G

Great encouragement from Sensei here, the bold is especially for you PTD! Show us how its done yet again!

Daily Encouragement:

Whether we regard difficulties in life as misfortunes or whether we view them as good fortune depends entirely on how much we have forged our inner determination. It all depends on our attitude or inner state of life. With a dauntless spirit, we can lead a cheerful and thoroughly enjoyable life. We can develop a "self" of such fortitude that we can look forward to life's trials and tribulations with a sense of profound elation and joy: "Come on obstacles! I've been expecting you! This is the chance that I've been waiting for!"

Go on and keep on keeping on Teacher. Your the man for the job and you know this! Let's go prizefighter, give us another strong round you got that devil of the 6th heaven ready to go down for the count, give it all you got. You got the eye of the tiger and the heart of the Lion King! Conquer!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This life is like a dream. One cannot be sure that one will live until tomorrow. However wretched a beggar you might become, never disgrace the Lotus Sutra."

(A Warning against Begrudhing One's Fief - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 824) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, October 26th, 2006

PureSkill

Awsome I will trY a meeting

Awsome I will trY a meeting

personalmeds said:
Oh and PureSkill - Welcome to the thread!

Thanks I love it here! I feel free to be myself... my best friend and I are going to a meeting nearby and I will chant for all of the world and make our lives better with love and good energy.... oh yeah I might meet a girl who wants to put me in a bottle and take me away =p

Hve a great day you guys and keep up the great posts.
I learn so much here about insight into our inermost being.
Thanks you guys
:joint:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Congratulations PureSkill! Get to that meeting!

Congratulations PureSkill! Get to that meeting!

"The Buddha teaches that even filling the entire major world system with the seven kinds of treasures does not match offering one's little finger to the Buddha and the [Lotus] sutra. The boy Snow Mountains gave his own body, and the ascetic Aspiration for the Law peeled off his own skin [in order to record the Buddha's teachings]. Since nothing is more precious than life itself, one who dedicates one's life to Buddhist practice is certain to attain Buddhahood. (WND, 301)"

The first sentence above refers to a passage from the "Former Affairs of the Medicine King" (23rd) chapter of the Lotus Sutra, indicating that using our individual lives-which each of us prize and cherish-for the sake of Buddhism is the highest form of offering we can make. Based on this, the Daishonin declares that by selflessly dedicating ourselves to Buddhism just like the boy Snow Mountains and the ascetic Aspiration for the Law, we can gain enlightenment. He says, therefore, that this course of practice is the supreme path for attaining happiness.

[Source: SGI Newsletter No. 6983, Wednesday, October 4, 2006, SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series: LECTURES ON "THE HERITAGE OF THE ULTIMATE LAW OF LIFE" [1] The Ultimate Law of Life and Death-Striving in the Spirit of Oneness of Mentor and Disciple to Open the Way to True Happiness for All Humanity]

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
Wecome, Congratulations, and most of all THANK YOU PureSkill!!!!! For helping my head POP outa my ass!!!! Thank you for being yourself and dont ever stop being yourself!!

It seems to me when we our ourselves we act through our hearts and allthough that can be very painfull at times i believe if we have faith and continue to actively and earnestly chant NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO we stand to gain so much when we come out the other end. i.e. WHEN OUR HEADS POP OUTA OUR ASSES!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED A SHOWER!!

PEACE AND LOVE TO YOU ALL MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!

BONZ

!!!!!!>>>>>>>>> NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO >>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

A Perspective on Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Used with kind permission from the folks at BuddhaJones.com

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is a chant or mantra. A mantra is a powerful phrase that is said with a certain concentration or intent. A mantra has meaning in and of itself, but the intention or concentration of the person who says it can make a big difference in the effect of the chant.

For example: Have you ever dated someone for a while and you were pretty sure that he or she loved you, and you loved that person too, but you hadn't told each other yet? You know that feeling? When you say, "I love you," it has the power to change your life in ways you probably can't imagine.

A mantra is like that. When you say it, it can fundamentally change your life.

Some people use "love" very casually. They say "I love this," or "I love it," or "Love ya." It doesn't have the same weight as when a person considers his or her feelings very seriously before saying "I love you."

Usually, the mantra Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is said over and over again. Maybe it would sound kind of crazy to chant "I love you I love you I love you" a thousand times a day.

It's not so crazy -- actually it's pretty common these days -- to hear cuss words out of someone's mouth a thousand times a day. "The f-ing this and the f-ing that." Sometimes, people repeat insults and complaints as if they are mantras. So, "chants" of one type or another are a part of everyday life.

Have you ever noticed that if you hang out with people who cuss a lot or use a certain phrase, after a while you end up using the same language? Sometimes it's really hard to break yourself of the habit. This is an unfortunate example of how a phrase can be engraved on a person's consciousness.

It's probably better to get in the habit of saying a phrase that has a more uplifting influence, such as Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Why chant the same phrase over and over?

Chanters repeat the mantra Nam Myoho Renge Kyo because, as mentioned, repetition engraves it in their consciousness (and their unconscious too.)

Since Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is such a great mantra, you might think that chanting it once or chanting it a thousand times would have the same effect. Well, not necessarily.

If you can say "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo " one time, but say it with profound faith, intention, concentration -- whatever you want to call it -- that one utterance packs a mighty wallop. But most of us are not at a place in our "spiritual development" where we can summon up such profound faith at any given moment.

When we chant, with each repetition of Nam Myoho Renge Kyo , we are rooting ourselves deeper in faith and deeper in the spiritual tradition of the Lotus Sutra.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is the heart and title of the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus Sutra teaches the enlightenment of all living beings. The Lotus Sutra's essence (Nam Myoho Renge Kyo ) is the teacher of all Buddhas, past, present and future. When we chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo we are strengthening our connection to and learning from the teacher of all Buddhas.

A very cool thing is that this great Buddha wisdom lives in each and every person. It is the essence of life itself. So we are not chanting to some god or imaginary power. We are chanting the name of our innate wisdom, compassion, courage and energy. We are calling it up. We are engraving it on our heart. We are becoming more and more in tune with it.

But why this mantra?

In many religious traditions, reciting a mantra is a well-established spiritual practice that has beneficial effects. There are lots of other mantras aside from Nam Myoho Renge Kyo . "Om mani padme hum" is a famous mantra, for example. Maybe "Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..." also qualifies as a mantra.

Mantras are different in that they have different meanings and create different vibrations. A mantra is basically a vibration.

It is said that when you strike a tuning fork to make it vibrate, it can make other nearby tuning forks that are pitched to the same frequency start to vibrate spontaneously. It sets off a "chain reaction" of vibration because the forks are all tuned into the same frequency.

Similarly, the vibe we create when we chant triggers vibration not only in the depths of our life, but in our surroundings. As we tune ourselves more and more to the vibe of this Buddha wisdom, we resonate with the Buddha vibe that is in other people and in our environment. The vibration of chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo awakens innate Buddha qualities everywhere in a sort of chain reaction.

People have been chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo for centuries and there are lots of ways to explain it. While not everyone agrees on why it works, most chanters agree that it is a worthwhile devotional practice. The best way to understand it is to chant and see for yourself.

Nichiren describes the practice of chanting in his writings. A good place to start is On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Showing profound compassion for those unable to comprehend the gem of the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, the Buddha wrapped it within the five characters [of Myoho-renge-kyo], with which he then adorned the necks of the ignorant people of the latter age.

[ The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind Established in the Fifth Five-Hundred-Year Period after the Thus Come One's Passing, WND Page 376 ]

G

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Everyday baby, thats the spirit!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Everyday baby, thats the spirit!

Daily Encouragement:

It may seem perfectly all right to put ourselves and our own wishes first, to simply follow the dictates of our emotions and cravings, but the truth is that there is nothing more unreliable than our own mind. Life doesn't always go like clockwork and things will not necessarily turn out as we hope or plan. Consequently, Nichiren Daishonin frequently stressed: You should become the master of your mind, not let your mind master you. We mustn't allow ourselves to be ruled by a self-centered mind. Rather, we have to discipline our mind and gain mastery over it. This is the Daishonin's strict admonition.

Lectures and articles about Nichiren Buddhism: http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/

:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"You should realize that it is because of a profound karmic relationship from the past that you can teach others even a sentence or phrase of the Lotus Sutra."

(A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 33) Selection source: For November YWD study meetings, Seikyo Shimbun, October 27th, 2006

Hitman

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo forever and ever!

Hope everybody is standing strong it great to see everyone on this thread! Kosen Rufu Yall!

scegy

hello fellow budhhas!
i've started a strange morning that filled me with doubt and closed my eyes for a while there, it's a reminder for my practice. i scared away those doubts with chanting powah, i pured myself and my eyes are wide open again, in real! time consumed me again, as sutra says, evil is always present, and this is my first time that i saw evil as pure as it is and i saw the path that it's offering and i resisted with all my guts!
pass the doobie:
brother you say you'r in trouble, i haven't found out yet what is it...but from our point of view, troubles are those biggest nuggets that you can't reach easily and u just gotta let your friend squirl to get it for you, patience and persistance it is!
i kicked myself in the butt this morning, if u want some too you can get some! ;)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you scegy! Welcome home Brother!

Thank you scegy! Welcome home Brother!

Today, let's continue to advance along the way of the wise.
Learning enables us to open a new world.
Let's try to learn from good friends!
Let's always challenge to cultivate our wisdom!

Daisaku Ikeda

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.