What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Right back at you Respect!

Right back at you Respect!

Daily Encouragement by President Ikeda:

It is only natural that sometimes we fall sick. But we must see that sickness as a sickness that originally exists in life, based on the principle of the Mystic Law. In other words, there is no reason to allow yourself to be controlled by illness, for it to fill your life with suffering and distress. From the standpoint of eternal life through the three existences, your fundamentally happy self is incontrovertibly established.

Lectures and articles about Nichiren Buddhism: http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It must be ties of karma from the distant past that have destined you to become my disciple at a time like this. Shakyamuni and Many Treasures certainly realized this truth. The sutra's statement, "Those persons who had heard the Law dwelled here and there in various Buddha lands, constantly reborn in company with their teachers," cannot be false in any way.

[ The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life, WND Page 217 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FYI.....

FYI.....

:woohoo: Kickin some karmic ASS!!! :woohoo:

But I can't relax until the fat lady sings. Thanks to my dear friends that have been the wind at my back. THE DEVIL OF THE SIXTH HEAVEN HAS BECOME MY BEST FRIEND. THE GIFT OF ALL OF THIS DAIMOKU IS THAT I KNOW HIM WHEN I SEE HIM AND HAVE THEREFORE ROBBED HIM OF THE ELEMENT OF SURPRISE. I could not express in words how happy I am right now!

Yesterday was a great day! Today will be even better! Tomorrow is what I make it through the efforts I am making right now! Oh ya! I am SO FREAKING HAPPY THESE PROBLEMS HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE! How could I have ever gotten so far ahead when it seemed I was so far behind?

The Power of the Law. My greatest enemies are my best friends now--including myself. I love you all just as much. Right now, I love everything.

I wish I could somehow share this more...

I bow in humble obeisance to you all.

Thomas :wave: (I highly suggest everyone try the experience of chanting hours of Daimoku each and every day at least once in your lifetime! The Devil of the Sixth Heaven will be seen as your friend too! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!)

Bonzo

Veteran
What you been smokin T? I WANT SOME!!!!!! Just kiddin' brotha!

Seriously though, WOW!!!! Sounds like you have made some serious headway, i dont fully understand it but i would like to, the most i ever chanted in one day was prolly 5 hours, but not strait through, that would be morning, afternoon and evening combined.

WOW!!!! Your happiness and enthusiasm is givin me those spinal goosebumps! I like it!

I dont know what to say, i do know that i am overflowing with joy for your happiness!!!!!

WAY TO GO T!!!! NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!!!!!!!

I hope sometime in the future i can feel what your feeling. To be honest i dont know if i could handle what you have acheived right now in my life?

Robbed the Devil of the Sixth Heaven of the element of surprise!!!!!!????

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOO BIG T!!!!!

Shit, the more i think about this the heavier it gets!!!!! Late nite daimoku is in order i think.

Congratulations on this breakthrough! "How could i have gotten so far ahead when it seemed i was so far behind"

WOW!!!

DEEPEST RESPECT AND LOVE

Bonz

Last edited:

Bonzo

Veteran
PS. I CAN HEAR THE FAT LADY SINGIN'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PEACE

BONZ

!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!

G

Thank you for the awesome guidance Teacher! That is a powerful post!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! :woohoo:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I have goosebumps like mountains right now . Thankyou T for the awesome post you have made my day already and ive been up only a few minutes:)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin states,
"The voice carries out the work of the Buddha."*
It is through using our courageous voices
that we will be able to achieve kosen-rufu.
Let's speak out confidently and without hesitation!
Let's create a wave of dialogue!

Daisaku Ikeda

* "Ongi kuden" - Gosho Zenshu, page 708, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 4

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
PassTheDoobie Yesterday was a great day! Today will be even better! Tomorrow is what I make it through the efforts I am making right now! Oh ya! I am SO FREAKING HAPPY THESE PROBLEMS HAPPENED IN THE FIRST PLACE! How could I have ever gotten so far ahead when it seemed I was so far behind? The Power of the Law. My greatest enemies are my best friends now--including myself. I love you all just as much. Right now said:
T, this post rocks! How could it not encourage even those that have their heads stuck in the sand hoping and waiting for things to change.(Me) Taking action for the sake of the Lotus Sutra guarantees absolute success.

They say a pebble thrown in a pond sends out ripples in all directions; I say your life is like a boulder or a frickin meteor crashing in the stormy seas of life sending waves of positive energy in all ten directions; like a tsunami, traveling hundreds miles an hour having effects on everything that abounds in its path. It is such an honor to have known you and been close to you these many years.

Nam myoho renge kyo!

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Hey SoCal so great to see you friend. I agree that has to be one of the most awesome post ever. Our buddy kick ass and taking names. Looks like hes got that devil of the sixth just sittin next to him smoking joints now:)
Hope everything is running smooth over that way Cal. Much love to you and yours. So nice to have you here.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Great events never have minor omens. When great evil occurs, great good follows."

(Great Evil and Great Good - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1119) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, October 31st, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BE A LION!!! IT'S IN YOU. YOU ALREADY ARE ONE. REVEAL YOUR BUDDHA NATURE!

BE A LION!!! IT'S IN YOU. YOU ALREADY ARE ONE. REVEAL YOUR BUDDHA NATURE!

To "stand alone" --
this is the very founding spirit of the Soka Gakkai!
Let's, each and every one of us,
become a person of courage who initiates action
with the heart of a Soka lion!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
GANKEN-OGO BABY!

GANKEN-OGO BABY!

Deliberately Creating the Appropriate Karma

For years, I felt confused by what I saw as a dichotomy in the teachings of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism. In his writings, Nichiren Daishonin assures us that based upon our Buddhist practice, we will enjoy “peace and security” in this lifetime and “good circumstances” in our next (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p.681). He also states that it is because of our countless good deeds in the remote past that we are able to take faith in the Gohonzon in this existence.

If it were true that our connection to the Mystic Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo extends deep into the infinite past, as both the Lotus Sutra and Nichiren Daishonin indicate, then why, I wondered, were so many of my fellow SGI members struggling with such extreme difficulties and problems? Where was all this good fortune we had supposedly accumulated?

The “Teacher of the Law” chapter of the Lotus Sutra offers a profound explanation: “Medicine King… you should understand that such persons have already offered alms to a hundred thousand million Buddhas and in the place of the Buddhas have fulfilled their great vow, and because they take pity on living beings they have been born in this human world… Medicine King, you should understand that these persons voluntarily relinquish the reward due them from their pure deeds and, in the time after I have passed into extinction, because they pity living beings, they are born in this evil world so they can broadly expound this sutra” (The Lotus Sutra, trans. Burt Watson, pp. 161-62).

In his Commentaries on the Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra, the Chinese Buddhist scholar Miaolo used the phrase “deliberately creating the appropriate karma,” (WND, 243) to describe this concept.

In “The Opening of the Eyes,” Nichiren Daishonin also addresses this concept: “The more government authorities rage against me, the greater my joy. For Instance, there are certain Hinayana bodhisattvas not yet freed from delusion, who draw evil karma to themselves by their own compassionate vow. If they see their father and mother have fallen into hell and are suffering greatly, they will deliberately create the appropriate karma in hopes that they too may fall into hell and share in and take their suffering upon themselves. Thus suffering is a joy to them” (WND, 243).

When SGI President Ikeda visited Sonia Ghandi in India after the assassination of her husband, Prime Minister Rajiv Ghandi, he told her “I really hope that you can change your sad destiny into a cause for realizing an important mission in India.” This conversation is captured in the book The wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, vol. 2(p.184). Here he also explains that the greatness of Rajiv Gandhi arose from his love for the people of India.

He writes: “Not even the terrorist bombing that took his life (in May 1991) could have destroyed the love for the people that burned in Rajiv Gandhi’s heart. I believe people have a mission to fulfill that transcends life and death. The lives of people who embrace a mission to which they can wholeheartedly dedicate themselves and even be willing to die for are the most sublime” (Ibid., p. 184).

The most important thing to remember as practitioners of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism - especially when facing difficulties and problems - is that we possess a profound mission as Bodhisattvas of the Earth. Instead of simply viewing our unfortunate circumstances asbad karma,” our struggles, no matter how difficult, are in fact the soil for our great mission to take root.

“To simply view your sufferings as ‘karma’ is backward-looking,” writes President Ikeda in The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra (pp. 208-209). “We should have the attitude: ‘These are sufferings I took on for the sake of my mission. I vowed to overcome these problems through faith.”

When we understand this principle of ‘deliberately creating the appropriate karma,” he continues, “our frame of mind is transformed; what we had previously viewed as destiny, we come to see as mission. There is absolutely no way we cannot overcome sufferings that are the result of a vow that we ourselves made.

The problem is that if we are deluded in our view of life and are overcome with complaint and suffering as a result of our problems, we might forget our original vow to save others by overcoming our suffering. And then we might not be able to conquer our own suffering either.

In The New Human Revolution, President Ikeda tells the SGI members in Brazil, man of whom were desperately poor and isolated in a new and vastly different country, that in addition to making tenuous efforts, their “daimoku must also be a pledge.”

Prayer in Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism means to chant daimoku based on a pledge or vow. At its very core, this vow is to attain kosen-rufu.

“You may think you have just happened to come to Brazil as a result of your respective circumstances. But this is not the case, “he continues. “You have been born as Bodhisattvas of the Earth in order to achieve kosen-rufu in Brazil, to lead the people of this country to happiness and to create an eternal paradise in this land. Indeed, you have been chosen by Nichiren Daishonin to be here.” (The New Human Revolution, vol. 1, p.251).

It is the same for us, irrespective of where we live or our present circumstances. Once we determine to overcome our sufferings as a way to help others understand the greatness of this Buddhism and thereby lead as many people to happiness as possible, then we will be fulfilling the compassionate vows that we ourselves made in the infinite past. To make this kind of determination and advance with courage is what is most important.

“When you realize your great mission as Bodhisattvas of the Earth and dedicate your lives to kosen-rufu, the sun that has existed within you since time without beginning will begin to shine forth. All offenses you have committed in past lifetimes will vanish like mist, and you will embark upon wonderful lives permeated by deep joy and happiness” (Ibid., p.254)

(from: http://sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc028.htm )

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My most sincere and deepest love to all of you. I have much more to say. And can't wait to have time to say it. This thread is a pretty wonderful thing.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I have been told that Shin Yatomi, a significant person in the SGI study department, has been diagnosed with a very rare form of lung cancer. Please send daimoku for his immediate eradication of this karma. Thankyou all!

Nam myoho renge kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Hello Chanting Grower Buddies
I wake up today to tough news. Ive told some of you in the past about a young girl who I have been taking care of for that last couple of seasons with her med needs. She came down with a cancer in her pelvis a couple years back. A beautiful tall statuesqe girl. She is married to a very good young friend of mine. Well she went through chemo and had some tough times with her health. I felt so good to be able to help her with her cannabis needs and soon she had completed her chemo and was starting to look healthy and happy and oh boy so much joy. Well some months passed and they eventually found another kernel or tumor in her and decided to start treatment again. Oh boy she has been through so much but now here we go again. This poor young girl had to start all over and do the chemo treatments all over again. Her hair had just grown back a bit and she was just getting to where you couldnt tell what she has been through by looking at her. Well guess what ... she kicked its ass again. Ive been honored to supply her with cannabis and believe me I got way more out of providing for her then she did. So last night I get a phone call from her husband. They found it again. This time it is not treatable and she has been sent home to spend her last days with her husband just trying to be as comfortable as possible. You guys know i have faith and believe that all things are as they should be but man sometimes this can be hard. I ask for your chants for her so that she might get through this without too much pain. Thankyou all so much ...
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I'm right there with you Babba. She is so fortunate to have met you at such a significant point in this lifetime. Please mention her first name so I can direct my daimoku.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

please direct your daimoku to Jolene.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Status
Not open for further replies.