What's new

Butte's 2007 Outdoor - "In the trenches..."

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Butte...with all the good vibes we all send to you, and your green fingers, I´m sure everything will turn out absolutely outstanding

Peace
Paddi

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Butte man, sorry to hear such woes. Live & learn, you'll never make that mistake again, and will become all the better a grower. I know that's not much conciliation now...:frown:

Would/could you pull the plants, and transplant into containers w/ new soil?
I know they'll never regain their full potential, but the challenge to salvage things would be worthwhile.

Best wishes in your future endeavors. It's a joy to see the scale you & your friends work at. Peace, HL

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man, sorry to hear the bad news, Butte! Experience is the true teacher..... Hope they pull through for ya!

filimagno

HI BUTTE...i follow your thread from a while and i hope this could help you.

first you talk about Cal\Mag def corrected with a several doses of epsom salt (MgSO4 or simply magnesium sulfate with microelements?).

so ...do you have to think that if you don't run with organics you have to considering all the parameters for a perfect growing (without the buffering work of the humic and fulvics)....and when you add sulfates the pH going down dramatically.

and probably the lock up of fosphorous (who is immobile elements) is the main reason which is responsible on your plants problem.

i suppose if u use humic acids and fulvic acids you could solve all the problem related in the pH buffering.

ps..i've noticed lot of times much problem with adding guano or other phosfates sources because is too much strong than the expectations sometimes!!!and when you add basic fertilizer who contain this element they going in overdose for addition.

hope could help you man....cause your garden is pure funk dude!!!

filimagno

ps...i forgot...when there's a Ca-Mg def if you add only Mg the plants react so bad on the disturbing of the Ca\Mg ratio ...them have to be a proportion on mutual ammounts.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So sorry to hear ....I wish you the best of luck. I was at the stringcheese show too ... Wish we could have smoked together.
Best of luck
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

trapik

Another bad news... :badday:
Did you try to flush with enzims or stuff like that?
Overwatering is not fine with already stressed plants but sometimes helps for a 'new start'...
Some more :2cents: and all my compassion.
We're many tuned on your grow.. may all the good vibes reach your garden!

Fine you take it easy!
Best wishes for what's comin now.
:wave:

Tom Hill

Veteran
Gut wrenching news Butte.

A more tolerant society would not fault you for firing up a large spike crop in an attempt to salvage some of your massive investment of time, money, blood sweat & tears. I've been there more than once, & understand how hurtful & frustrating it is. If nothing else, be sure that your diagnosis is correct- Suspect everything & try to nail it down. You have my deepest condolences, respect, & best wishes for some type of recovery.

Tom

Last edited:
T

The_Skunkist

I'm so sorry to read the bad news ...
I was enjoying the thread since the beginning without posting .
I can't believe this massive grow is like over .

Peace and all the best to continue the massive job .

G

YIKES????

Big system,big money,big probs??????
One reason i grow short and water by hand....

STILL THIS IS GONNA ROCK BOY,i dont think its that bad!
Man what a set up when tweeked out i cant amagine!!!!
You west coast wankers make me wanna move WEST......
Cant wait for this great grow to finish,good luck dude!

Dkgrower

Veteran
Damm butte, that is sad to hear, hope you make the best off it

Your freinds plywood containers and his plants are huge, I just love them, much respekt.

Do you think that the ozon filter system can be a part of the problem, It seems from the tread that the problem, started after you pluged the Ozon system on.

and if excess of phosfor is the problem why was it not a problem from the beginng of the grow ?

Butte

Veteran
Hello all

After going through some changes and being "talked down" by my very understanding and insightful wife and a good friend, I've reframed things in my mind and am moving forward doing what I can. Until I hear back about the soil, though, about the only thing I can do is keep watering and try to get some support to these ladies. So, a few shots taken yesterday afternoon...

The Good
2007.08.04.Cheese.jpg

Chucky

2007.08.04.Soma.Chucky.jpg

Soma on Left, Chucky on the Right

2007.08.04.GodsGift.jpg

God’s Gift

2007.08.04.MendoPurps.R1Far.jpg

This Mendo Purps isn’t doing too bad, just kinda smallish

2007.08.04.MendoPurps.R2L.jpg

...ditto...

2007.08.04.MendoPurps.jpg

Many of the Mendo Purps have triggered, some heavily. Talking to others growing this strain, though, everyone has had this same issue to one degree or another. Autoflower?

2007.08.04.MendoPurps.R1.FR.jpg

A shot of the plant the above photo is from.

The Bad
2007.08.04.MendoPurps.R1.P2.jpg

These two Mendo Purps seem to be having the hardest time. Unfortunately, they’re also the first thing you see walking into the garden.

2007.08.04.MendoPurps.R1.P3.jpg

2007.08.04.MasterKushFake.jpg

Sold as Master Kush, I have my doubts...

2007.08.04.FarLeftCheese.jpg

This cheese is kinda hurting besides needing some support

The Ugly
2007.08.04.FLCheeseCanopy.jpg

This is a shot of the canopy of the cheese just above​

So, could be worse, could be better. Just gotta keep on keepin' on as they used to say. Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement and support. Many times it is easy for me to get wrapped up in my own perspective and not see the bounty that surrounds us all.

Babba, I didn't pick you for a String Cheese fan. Were you at the Greek or Hornings?

Happy, happy growing all - Butte

Butte

Veteran
Dkgrower said:
Damm butte, that is sad to hear, hope you make the best off it

Your freinds plywood containers and his plants are huge, I just love them, much respekt.

Do you think that the ozon filter system can be a part of the problem, It seems from the tread that the problem, started after you pluged the Ozon system on.

and if excess of phosfor is the problem why was it not a problem from the beginng of the grow ?
Hey there dkgrower

Those plywood containers are actually sitting on 2’ deep, six foot wide trenches as well. He’s 100% organic and that Jedi is the largest plant I’ve seen yet this year. He also grows some of the best herb I’ve ever smoked. He couldn’t really tell you how he does it, as his system is pretty much 100% intuitive. His connection with his plants (and soil) is something I try to learn from.

Regarding the ozone system, it runs independently of the garden, just treating the water. Ozone off gasses relatively quickly and readily, so I don’t believe any residual is making it to the garden or plants. I believe I didn’t see the phosphorous problem because I used rock phosphate and toxicity doesn’t actually show symptoms for the first four to six weeks.

Cervantes – “Toxic signs of phosphorous may take several weeks to surface, especially if excesses are buffered by a stable pH.” <- which it was...

I’ll let everyone know what each batch of soil tests at. I took two samples since I had to order twice as much as first thought and I believe the second batch was less “mature” as there was pretty much a run on soil around here at that time. Figure that out. :tongue:

Happy growing - Butte

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Butte!! ...sorry to hear about your set back :( that is such a bummer!

we were at the greek on sunday, gettin baked[in the sun and with good smoke] with a few icmag members, wish we have known you were there :) maybe next time

Butte

Veteran
Anyone know what these eggs are from?

MysteryEggs.jpg

Found near the bottom of a plant...

- Butte

trapik

Hi Butte,

Sorry, got no idea but it seems I met the same things 2 years ago on a tree leaf..

So, I'd be interested to know too. Hope that pic will help too..

Hey, reading your last posts, I thought your plants were almost dead!
For sure, they're not as healthy as they were and I fully understand your disappointment.. but there's still some great things to get from most of your plants bro.. I know you know :smile:
With love and support (Superthrive is your friend :D), they'll recover soon and will give you what you deserve, no doubt.
They can't forget all that work!!!

Keep on living the dream!
Best of luck
:wave:

Dkgrower

Veteran
They look like baby slugs, I saw alot off eggs here the other day, It ,look like the one on your pic´s are just hagde baby´s and the one on trapik pic are more developed

But not sure, they could also be some larve !

Last edited:

elkslayer

TomHill said:
Gut wrenching news Butte.

A more tolerant society would not fault you for firing up a large spike crop in an attempt to salvage some of your massive investment of time, money, blood sweat & tears. I've been there more than once, & understand how hurtful & frustrating it is. If nothing else, be sure that your diagnosis is correct- Suspect everything & try to nail it down. You have my deepest condolences, respect, & best wishes for some type of recovery.

Tom

Ditto that Butte.

Though my plants aren't as large as they were last season, they seem to be doing fine. I too visited 3 friends garden's, all of whom typically do extremely well. This year our area has been and still is recieving a ton of fog and the nightlies, arecold and VERY un normal. All three have done the exact regimen as year's past, however all have been overwtering. I stay in a tent when I am up there and get up at 5:00 am to begin work. It is most often quite moist, kinda like it should be in late Oct or May for that matter. Anyway, the reason I write all this is there problems all looked like Ca and or MG deficiencies as did yours. It has stunted them all, and I still feel they have too much water. This may not be your case, but it was the case for many here in Mendo.

BTW- all theres looked great like yours at transplant and for a while through veg.

Also, I went back and looked at your soil and it looked great as a matter of fact. If you are indeed worried about Ca/Mg try azomite next year.

Try digging down deep on a "hurting plant" and take a look at the root structure, as well as what the mositer level looks like where your indeginous soil meets you good soil.

If it is indeed water issue a good quick fix is using PVC pipe with holes drilled like swiss cheese through the bottom 1-2'. add several of these to each plant such that you can maximize air flow. Its basically Soma's bed method of years past used as a corrective measure. 2 seasons ago my good friend had what you describe above and did the following and his plants did rebound.

Your tests may show high Phos/Ca/Mg or others as fusarium and or overwter will cause this build-up. My watering this year is nearly 1/2 the amount I was using up until this time last year.

I personally have battled bugs that I have never seen in Mendo. I think its a weird El Nino, and perhaps should be doing more tuna fishing.

Best of luck to ya.

ES

Last edited:

Butte

Veteran
Wow, trapik, those look to be identical! Thanks.

Elkslayer, now that's some info I can use! Just yesterday I chopped the last two "reserve" plants, but I may still dig up the one that's doing the worst and have a look. I think that's a good idea. Were your friends using the same soil mix as last year? I'll ask the people I know about their watering this year, too.

It was 50 degrees with 83% humidity at 7 am here this morning. Weird, weird weather for sure.

Interesting note on the fusarium. I've been wondering just a little if it isn't perhaps something besides an abiotic cause...

Back out to it, I'll let you know what the roots look like...

- Butte

Last edited:

elkslayer

Yes same exact soil, same water regimen.

Next year incorporate compost tea into your soil root feed regimen, as this is the major key to fusarium prventative. The one I use is soilsoup.com, and you can see my tea regimen within my thread. Good Luck. I am off to Peaceful Valley to grab some odds-n-ends.

ES