What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/...otentially_explosive_drug_lab_police_say.html

Trio had infant in Roxbury home with potentially explosive drug lab, police say

ROXBURY — Three people from Landing are facing drug charges after a month-long investigation into what police say was a butane honey oil lab operating out of a Landing home.
Roxbury police.pngView full sizeSeveral people were found in a car in the Landing section of Roxbury with drugs, Roxbury police say.Roxbury Police Department
What's more, there was an infant in the home, even though butane honey oil labs pose a high risk of explosion, according to a joint announcement by Roxbury Chief James Simonetti and Hopatcong Chief Robert Brennan.

Butane honey oil is created by using butane to extract and concentrate the active ingredient in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC), for a more potent high. It's also sometimes known as butane hash oil.

Police didn't specify in their announcement how a home on Landing Road came to their attention, or what in their month-long investigation led them to believe a lab was operating out of the home.

But officers executed a search warrant at the home Thursday night and found marijuana, equipment to make butane honey oil, smoking devices and firearms, according to the announcement.

The infant was taken into protective custody by Child Protection and Permanency )the agency formerly known as the Division of Youth and Family Services), police said.

Michael Landano, 28, was charged with possession of more than 50 grams of marijuana, possession with intent to distribute, distribution, trafficking drugs while armed and endangering the welfare of a child.

Steven Campagna, 20, was charged with possession of more than 50 grams of marijuana, possession with intent to distribute, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Ashley Taylor, 23, was charged with possession of more than 50 grams of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and endangering the welfare of a child.

All three were released on a summons, pending a municipal court appearance, police said.

"It seems like a relatively recent trend of people who have figured out how to turn a benign plant into an explosive."

Burns of a 2nd and 3rd Degree type associated with Butane type explosions below:
https://www.google.com/search?q=2nd...ws_rd=ssl#q=2nd+and+3rd+degree+burns+pictures

Gray Wolf's safety tips below.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/butane-safety/

Last edited:

Sunfire

Veteran
I think this is all natural selection really, most of the people in these tories sound like idiots or tweakers, especially the ones doing it into hotels. It seriously sucks for the children though man wtf! I hate shitty parents!

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2015/apr/04/hash-oil-explosions-prompt-lawmakers-to-seek/

April 4, 2015 in City, Region
Hash oil explosions prompt lawmakers to seek tighter rules
Kristen Wyatt And Gene Johnson Associated Press

A man who suffered severe burns to 12 percent of his body when butane fumes ignited while he was making hash oil at home, demonstrates how he made the marijuana concentrate May 1 at his home in Denver. Alarmed by a rash of explosions caused by amateur hash production, Colorado and Washington lawmakers are considering limits on making the marijuana concentrate at home.
(Full-size photo)

DENVER – Alarmed by a rash of explosions and injuries caused when amateurs make hash oil, lawmakers in Colorado and Washington are considering spelling out what’s allowed when it comes to making the concentrated marijuana at home.

The proposals came after an increase in home fires and blasts linked to homemade hash oil.

In Colorado, at least 30 people were injured last year in 32 butane explosions involving hash oil – nearly three times the number reported throughout 2013, according to officials with the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area, a state-federal enforcement program.

Washington’s legal marijuana law in 2012 did not permit the production of hash or even edibles at home; it technically remains a felony even to use weed purchased at a state-licensed store to make brownies. Nevertheless, many people have done it.

Federal prosecutors in Seattle have brought charges in five cases where hash oil operations blew up, including at one apartment complex where an 87-year-old former mayor of Bellevue died after sustaining an injury while trying to escape a fire that started in another unit.

People make hash oil at home for the same reasons they make beer, wine or booze – to save money, make it to personal taste, or as a hobby.

Though there are safer methods, such as soaking marijuana in a vegetable-based glycerin, one common practice is to force a solvent such as butane or propane gas or liquid through leafy cannabis, a process that separates its psychoactive material from buds, leaves and stems.

After the extraction, the hash-maker then releases the gas or boils off the liquid, leaving behind marijuana’s psychoactive material in a potent goop. The resulting product – called hash oil or shatter or wax in even more concentrated form – can be used in vaporizers or added to foods without the grassy taste raw pot imparts.

Without proper ventilation, though, the gases can pool in a room, where a spark from an appliance can trigger a severe explosion, knocking buildings off their foundation in some cases.

Washington lawmakers are proposing to allow limited home hash production, though butane or other explosive gases would be banned except for use by commercial producers. Safer methods would be OK, and adults would be allowed to use cooking oil, butter or similar substances to make edibles.

“We have a little problem here with people blowing themselves up,” said Washington state Sen. Ann Rivers, the Republican sponsor of the measure. “Anything we can do to stop that from happening.”

In Colorado, where hash regulations vary by jurisdiction, a bill up for its first vote next week in a House committee would establish a similar ban on the use of explosive gases to make hash.

“People who make it at home, they can do so with alcohol or methods that are safe,” said Colorado state Rep. Yeulin Willett, a sponsor of the bill.

Colorado’s largest jurisdiction, Denver, banned some types of home hash production late last year. A similar ban is under discussion in the state’s third-largest city, Aurora.

But some marijuana activists argue that when pot is legal, concentrating it at home should be legal, too. They compare the hash explosions to fires caused by turkey fryers and call it a problem with a new product that is best addressed by consumer education.

“Sure, there have been numerous dangerous explosions and fires from idiots who are determined to blow themselves up participating in activities which need considerable safety precautions,” said Timothy Tipton of the Rocky Mountain Caregivers Cooperative.

Tipton insisted that butane extraction is perfectly safe with proper ventilation or when done outside.

Supporters of home production also say Colorado’s law is on their side. The state’s marijuana legalization measure specifically included concentrated marijuana and all its production methods.

Just last month, the Denver district attorney dropped a case against a man facing felony charges of manufacturing marijuana concentrate and fourth-degree arson. The man, Paul Mannaioni, was charged last year after a hash oil explosion sent him and two other people to a hospital.

Mannaioni challenged the legality of Denver’s hash oil ban, prompting Colorado’s former attorney general to say the marijuana amendment allows limits on home production.

The charges were later dismissed after prosecutors said they couldn’t tie him to the explosion beyond a reasonable doubt, leaving the legality of the city’s hash oil ban unresolved.

Some marijuana advocates said a statewide ban would invite more legal challenges.

“It’s a patient’s right to make their medicine,” said Jason Warf of the Southern Colorado Cannabis Council.

But Colorado lawmakers backing the homemade limits said the state should err on the side of caution.

“This is something we need to nip in the bud,” Willett said.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/255830-126265-camper-explosion-injures-two-in-se-portland

Blew up her car/camper, demolished her mother's house and her mother's good friend's house next door.

Created on Friday, 03 April 2015 09:17 | Written by Pamplin Media Group | Print
0 Comments

UPDATE: Butane stove explodes during manufacture of hash oil.

COURTESY OF DICK HARRIS/PF&R - Two people were hurt early Friday morning, April 3, in a camper explosion on Southeast Center Street.

COURTESY OF DICK HARRIS/PF&R - Two people were hurt early Friday morning, April 3, in a camper explosion on Southeast Center Street.
Two people were injured early Friday morning in a camper explosion in Southeast Portland.

Portland Fire and Rescue officials said a woman was taken to a local hospital for treatment of minor burns. Her name and medical condition were not released.

Firefighters were called at about 4 a.m. April 3, to the 13000 block of Southeast Center Street where neighbors reported an explosion in a camper.

The fire bureau’s hazardous material crew remained at the scene to make sure that there were no chemical hazards.

Arson investigators said a butane stove exploded in the camper during the manufacture of hash oil.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/03/25/dps-dangerous-marijuana-wax-showing-up-in-minnesota

Grandson and pal cooking up some hash oil sets Grandma's house on fire and burns her alive.

Marijuana Wax Fire Leads To Grandmother’s Death, 2 Men Charged With Murder
March 25, 2015 5:25 PM

ST. CLOUD, Minn. (WCCO) — There’s a new warning from Public Safety experts Wednesday about the dangers of cooking concentrated marijuana oil.

It can lead to explosions and fires, like the one that has two St. Cloud men charged for the death of a grandmother. Dustin Zablocki and Justin Pick said they were cooking cannabis oil in the basement when their hotplate ignited butane gas.

It was the early evening of Nov. 22, 2014 when Debbie Roberts looked outside and saw smoke and flames coming from her neighbor’s home.

“Where the main part of the fire was her bedroom,” Roberts said.

Sally Douglas, 85, would later die from her injuries. On Wednesday, the cause of the fire became much more clear.

“We had wondered about stuff going on over there but had no idea. To find out they were making stuff so dangerous was really kind of scary,” Roberts said.

The victim’s 18-year old grandson, Dustin Zablocki and his friend Justin Pick, 19, were each charged in Stearns County Court with two counts of third-degree murder.

Investigators say the two men were in the basement trying to make butane hash oil, also known as wax. It is a more concentrated form of marijuana oil that is used largely in electronic cigarettes.

According to the complaint, Zablocki was unaware his grandmother was upstairs until rescuers pulled her out. While standing outside the home as firefighters brought her out, Zablocki fell to his knees and cried, “I just killed my grandma.”

Investigators also found drug paraphernalia in the basement of the home inside a safe as well as web sites that showed how to make the BHO concentrate using hotplates and butane.

What had been a place for comfort is instead, boarded up, a sad reminder of the dangers of drugs.

“He has to live with this and now, is probably going to jail for a little while,” Roberts said.

The 85-year-old Douglas died two weeks after being taken to Hennepin County Medical Center’s burn unit. Bail for both defendants is set at $500,000 without conditions.
View Comments

Sunfire

Veteran
Holy shot they killed grandma!!! That's punishment enough they down need jail time, that will haunt them forever!

Wow 12 percent burns!!!!! That's exactly what I got when I was 19! Lost my face and sleeves! Luckily I was a miracle healer when younger, we managed to put out the fire with minimal damage to the house. Was in the icu and got my first sponge bath! Supposed to be in hospital a day per percent but I was out in six. Almost a decade later and you can barely see these two tiny scars anymore. If that happened now though I'd probably be deformed the rest of my life, getting old sucks.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.krcrtv.com/news/local/father-son-injured-in-alleged-drug-lab-explosion/31978124

Father, son injured in alleged drug lab explosion
Apartment sustains major damage as residents rush out
By Evan Schreiber, [email protected]
POSTED: 12:26 AM Mar 24 2015 UPDATED: 12:30 AM Mar 24 2015
Text Size:

Print

Father, son injured in alleged drug lab explosion
CITY OF SHASTA LAKE, Calif. -

An explosion rattles a City of Shasta Lake apartment complex. Sheriff’s deputies are tying it to illegal drug activity in one apartment.
Related

Michael Miller, 39, and his 15-year-old son receive medical attention Monday evening after an explosion inside their apartment. (KRCR-TV/Adam McAllister)

Photo Courtesy: Chad Steffens
Explosion sets fire to apartment complex

Shasta County Sheriff’s Deputies said loud blasts were heard around 4:45 Monday evening, coming from the apartment of Michael Miller, 39, and his 15-year-old son. Both men were injured when an alleged butane honey oil lab exploded inside a bedroom in their apartment.

According to Shasta Lake Fire Protection District officials, the father-son duo suffered moderate but non-life threatening injuries in the blast. Fire and drug investigators determined the cause of the fire was related to drug activity. Narcotics task force agents said the two were, “possibly involved in the illegal conversion or extraction of concentrated cannabis using butane.”

A smoky, charred room was all that was left minutes later when fire officials put the fire out at the Tara Hills Apartment Complex at 4555 Riddle Rd.

It was a big enough boom, from the chemical blast, to catch 14-year-old neighbor Chloe Walker by surprise.

"I was on my couch watching TV and I heard like a glass sound that broke,” she said.

The teen said she wasn't too worried, until someone pounded on her door.

"It's a neighbor. He comes over saying, ‘oh, there's a fire next door, you got to get out.’ So I wake up my sister and I try to grab all the things I can and I get out,” Walker said.

The sisters got out safely, as did everyone living nearby.

Miller and his son were taken to the hospital by ambulance. Sheriff’s officials believe, “vapors from the flammable solvent they were using ignited,” thus resulting in the explosion and fire.

There was major damage to the apartment, and it was a major danger risk for those who witnessed it all.

"It was pretty scary, because I thought I'd be prepared for it. But when time came for it, I was not prepared at all,” said Walker.

Shasta County Sheriff’s Sergeant Logan Stonehouse said Michael Miller and his son are facing charges for manufacturing a controlled substance. However, he says the narcotics task force could file more charges as they look further into the case.

snake11

Holy shot they killed grandma!!! That's punishment enough they down need jail time, that will haunt them forever!

Wow 12 percent burns!!!!! That's exactly what I got when I was 19! Lost my face and sleeves! Luckily I was a miracle healer when younger, we managed to put out the fire with minimal damage to the house. Was in the icu and got my first sponge bath! Supposed to be in hospital a day per percent but I was out in six. Almost a decade later and you can barely see these two tiny scars anymore. If that happened now though I'd probably be deformed the rest of my life, getting old sucks.

Was yours an extraction accident?

Sunfire

Veteran
Was yours an extraction accident?

Lol yeah! Open blasting. Was really no big deal until my 32 year male friend acted like a 12 year old girl! I was looking for a lid to put on the pan and he ran in a grabbed it and tried to throw it out a window with a screen in it and then there was flaming liquid everywgere. At which point he freaked out more and turned around violently, splashing it all over me! Was in a 10" saucepan with like a pound or two of tane left in it. Seriously all me needed to do was put a lid on it, no big deal. This is why you need to stay calm in these situations. That turned into a 40k hospital bill for me!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Lol yeah! Open blasting. Was really no big deal until my 32 year male friend acted like a 12 year old girl! I was looking for a lid to put on the pan and he ran in a grabbed it and tried to throw it out a window with a screen in it and then there was flaming liquid everywgere. At which point he freaked out more and turned around violently, splashing it all over me! Was in a 10" saucepan with like a pound or two of tane left in it. Seriously all me needed to do was put a lid on it, no big deal. This is why you need to stay calm in these situations. That turned into a 40k hospital bill for me!

Funny how 12 year old girls can cost you 40K and they don't even have to be female or under 30.....

:joint:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.lamarledger.com/news/ci_27693103/hash-oil-dangers-exposed

Hash oil dangers exposed
Manufacturers risk explosion, burn
By Chris Frost

Ledger Editor
Posted: 03/13/2015 03:19:47 PM MDT

Area law enforcement and fire department personnel received training Friday, March 6, as the agencies received safety instructions concerning hash oil, how it is processed into pure Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) for consumption and the safety concerns that could be deadly.

The product is often known as BHO, WAX, Shatter, crumble, honey oil dabs and budder. The person creating the drug extracts the THC from marijuana using a volatile hi-temperature process that could cause fires and blow up in your face if it is not done properly.

Thornton Police Sgt. Pat Long said he has a whole new appreciation for rural law enforcement departments.

"Everything you guys do in a rural area, were I come from, we just make a phone call, walk away and they deal with it," he said. "You guys deal with everything."
Members of the Lamar Fire Department attended the hash oil danger talk Friday, March 6, but left during the presentation to answer a call.
Members of the Lamar Fire Department attended the hash oil danger talk Friday, March 6, but left during the presentation to answer a call. (Chris Frost / Lamar Ledger)

Long got involved with the training in Jan. 2014 after an explosion inside a home.

"We didn't realize what it was," he said. "There was a grow (marijuana) in the basement, the guy had some butane cans and that was it. There was no training available and no talk from the metro fire agencies."

After doing research, most police and fire departments miss the first explosions because they don't realize what it was.

You remove the hash oil from the plant by adding a solvent, like alcohol, butane or grain alcohol and once the solvent is removed via evaporation (bathing) you have a pure form of THC.

Depending on what solvent someone uses, the product will look like an off color swiss cheese if they are making shatter, a yellowish blob if they are making wax and off-white if they are making dabs.

"The most common in Colorado is honey oil, dabs, wax and 710, which is oil spelled upside down," Long said.

The officers and firemen were shown a video where a small dab of THC got the user really high.

"That is something that would go on the tip of a pin," he said.

The attendees saw another video about the practice of cooking down marijuana to obtain THC and advocates of the drug say people who are blowing up their homes don't know what they are doing and shouldn't be making THC in the first place.

A police officer in the video said there was one explosion that partially blew a house off its foundation and caused a huge fire.

"I think Colorado is going to be sorry they passed that law (legalizing marijuana) in a year or two," the officer said.

A normal joint is up to 25 percent THC, he said, but items like shatter can exceed 85 percent THC.

Five pounds of marijuana will yield about 140 grams of hash oil with a value of $5,300.

A Google search of making BHO, he said, yielded 1.47 million results.

The attendees said they are not aware of any explosions or burns related to hash oil cooking.

"It will come," Long said. "You guys are in a college town and will end up seeing it."

The substance can be smoked or eaten and dispensaries have had to change some of there practices to determine how much THC is in the edible.

Pot Tarts, he said, are an edible that looks like Pop Tarts and can be mistaken especially if it involves a youngster who can't read yet.

Hash and honey oil is the main ingredient that gets you high in an edible, Long said, and is no longer just adding marijuana into a brownie mixture.

When eating a consumable product, it takes a lot longer to feel the effects. One young man from Wyoming fell to his death at a hotel last year because he consumed too much and by the time it was affecting him he lost control and jumped.

Smoking the THC takes 30 seconds before you feel the effects, but eating can take 45 minutes.

Many people use vapor pens to smoke the drug, which has no odor. If police officers stop someone driving they will need to rely on symptomology to determine whether the person is under the influence.

FEMA put out a bulletin in 2013 advising that police and fire personnel receive training for the potential hazards associated with cooking marijuana and said items like butane used in extracting hash oil travels along the floor and is highly combustible.

Many times the mixture will explode when the cooking temperature is too high.

The untrained eye will miss some of the tell-tale attributes of such an explosion.

At one scene there was a large casserole dish that is used to cook the hash oil and cans of butane and a small butane torch.

Colorado is considered to have some of the best product in the world and growers are using chemical like sulfer to make the product "grow like redwoods" and keep the mold and spider mites off the plants.

"You have to be aware that they are doing this now in the residential settings," Long said. "You have to be aware of health hazards, like sulfuric acid, when it comes to that," he said.

Law enforcement and fire department personnel enter such a scene wearing things like masks and protective gear to mitigate the risk of exposure.

If any children are exposed to the scene child abuse or child endangerment charges are filed.

If a house blows up, charges can include reckless endangerment or fourth degree arson.

In comments after the meeting, Prowers County Sheriff Sam Zordel said he believes the attorney general said it is legal to possess marijuana and save the product, but it doesn't give you the right to save it in such a fashion.

"The other side of this is people saying they'll make this and if you give me a donation I'll give it to you because the law says you can't sell. If you are giving a donation you are still selling it. It's another way people are are trying to take advantage."

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/le...l-explosions-pose-risk-colorado-homes-n323541

Go to site above to see how butane explodes; fire department example.

Hash Oil Explosions Related to Marijuana Pose Risk to Colorado Homes

By Gabe Gutierrez and Elizabeth Chuck

Ever since the recreational use of pot became legal in Colorado last year, authorities have been dealing with a different type of marijuana boom: hash oil explosions.

A new, dangerous method of extracting hash oil from marijuana which involves blasting it with butane has been producing a more concentrated high for smokers — and more house explosions than ever.

In 2013, Colorado had 12 such explosions. Last year, that number jumped to 32, and dozens of people were hospitalized. While there have been numerous injuries, no one has died from a hash oil explosion — yet.

The blast from a hash oil explosion is "very fast, very quick. It's not going to allow people to get out of the area in time," said Capt. Siegfried Klein of the Aurora, Colorado, Fire and Explosives Investigation Bureau.

The explosions blow out windows and rip apart kitchens. While there's no doubt that the chase for a more potent high is dangerous, there are still questions about whether or not it's illegal.

Colorado Sued by Neighbors Over Legal Marijuana
NBC News

"There are certainly murky areas in the law right now," said Andrew Freedman, who works for Gov. John Hickenlooper's office. "I think some districts believe we can already prosecute people for trying to create butane hash oil at home, and there's other jurisdictions that don't think so, so I think it's a place for clarification that's needed in the state."

Freedman, who is known as Colorado's "marijuana czar," said he supports lawmakers who are trying to regulate hash oil processing. But not everyone feels the same way.

"We voted on it. It's legal. It shouldn't be in the criminal system," said Paul Mannaioni, a resident who was charged with arson and manufacturing marijuana after a hash oil explosion in Denver. Mannaioni has pleaded not guilty.

"This is not criminal arson because it's not intentional and it's not reckless," said Robert Corry, Mannaioni's defense attorney. "The people who were doing this were following Colorado law and accidents do happen, but in this country, an accident does not mean that a crime has necessarily occurred."
Image: The scene of a Colorado home in a hash oil explosion. NBC News
The scene of a Colorado home in a hash oil explosion.

Image: A marijuana plant BLAIR GABLE / Reuters file 15 days
Legal Pot
96 of 97
Colorado Marijuana Study Finds Legal Weed Contains Potent THC Levels
By Bill Briggs

This is not your father's weed.

Colorado marijuana is nearly twice as potent as illegal pot of past decades, and some modern cannabis packs triple the punch of vintage ganja, lab tests reveal for the first time.

In old-school dope, levels of THC — the psychoactive chemical that makes people high — were typically well below 10 percent. But in Colorado's legal bud, the average THC level is 18.7 percent, and some retail pot contains 30 percent THC or more, according to research released Monday.

"That was higher than expected," said Andy LaFrate, president of Charas Scientific. His Denver lab is licensed by the state and paid by marijuana businesses to measure the THC strength in their products before they go to market. "It's common to see samples in the high 20s."

How the pros make legal marijuana
CNBC

What's really in — and not in — Colorado's retail weed surprised LaFrate. After analyzing more than 600 samples of bud provided by certified growers and sellers, LaFrate said he detected little medical value and lots of contamination. He presents those findings Monday to a national meeting of the American Chemical Society, a nonprofit scientific group chartered by Congress.

"We don't want to be alarmists and freak people out, but at the same time we have been finding some really dirty marijuana," LaFrate told NBC News.

Some green buds he viewed were covered in funghi — and he estimated that several marijuana flowers were "crawling" with up to 1 million fungal spores.

"It's a natural product. There's going to be microbial growth on it no matter what you do," LaFrate said. "So the questions become: What's a safe threshold? And which contaminants do we need to be concerned about?"

For example, he also examined more than 200 pot extracts or "concentrates" and found some contained solvents like butane. All the tests were done with high-performance liquid chromatography, a method to separate, classify and measure individual compounds.

What LaFrate didn't see, however, also astonished him. The 600-plus weed samples generally carried little or no cannabidiol, or CBD — the compound that makes medical marijuana "medical." The average CBD amount: 0.1 percent, his study reports.

CBD is anecdotally known to control depression, anxiety, and pain. About 200 families with ill children also moved to Colorado to access a strain called Charlotte's Web, which appears to control seizures in some kids.

"It's disturbing to me because there are people out there who think they're giving their kids Charlotte's Web. And you could be giving them no CBD — or even worse, you could be giving them a THC-rich product which might actually increase seizures," LaFrate said. "So, it's pretty scary on the medical side."

The majority of samples tested came from recreational-pot merchants. Under Colorado law, recreational weed must be tested for potency. Some medical-pot sellers voluntarily provided samples to LaFrate. Colorado does not require pre-sale testing of medical marijuana. LaFrate did not analyze any edibles.

"Really, there is very little difference between recreational and medical in terms of the THC-to-CBD ratio, at least at the aggregate level," LaFrate said.

What does that mean for buyers? There may be little difference in how various strains make users feel, even though some people claim one type induces relaxation and another hikes alertness, LaFrate said.

Three decades of cross-breeding pot strains — done to meet a demand for stronger weed — generally elevated THC and decreased CBD in many marijuana varieties, LaFrate said.

"These samples are representational, I think, of what's happening here in the state and, probably, across the country," LaFrate said. "Because most of the new states coming online with medical or retail marijuana have people from Colorado coming in to set up those markets.

"We found there's a tremendous amount of homogeneity within the genetics, at least as far as potency."

But some legal weed producers have launched new breeding projects, using different genetic combinations to boost CBD content, said Sean Azzariti, a cannabis advocate in Denver.

Azzariti also champions contamination testing as "an integral part of our industry."

"I personally am very excited to see technology in testing continue to advance. You would be very hard pressed to find a garden that hasn't at one point had some sort of issue, whether it's an infestation, microbial problems," said Azzariti, an Iraq War veteran. He uses cannabis to help treat post-traumatic stress disorder.

On Jan. 1, 2014, he became Colorado's first buyer of legal weed.

Today I was fortunate enough to be the first recreational cannabis purchase in the world. We did it!! http://t.co/HyrsFSNsnH
— Sean Azzariti (@Seanazzariti) January 1, 2014

Meanwhile, pot-legalization opponents are using LaFrate's findings to compare retail weed to food raised or grown with genetically modified organisms or GMOs. And pot foes continue to link the rise of the marijuana industry to the long-ago advance of Big Tobacco.

"This study is further evidence that Colorado legalization is not working. It proves that even under government control, there's no way to ensure marijuana is free of bacteria and chemicals," said Kevin Sabet, president of Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM).

"This shows that marijuana is a GMO product just like other products sold by big business. And just like other industries, now you have a big marijuana industry determined to hide these findings from the public. Where is their outcry? Where are the promises to change the way they do business?" Sabet said. "I won't hold my breath. For years, the tobacco industry did the same thing. Welcome, America, to Big Tobacco 2.0 — Big Pot."

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I dont make BHO but why cant we regulate the Butane so idiots cant buy cases of it?

It's not the number of cans, a can or two going off in your next door neighbor's apartment is still going to bring the fire department and paramedics.

Decades of bug bomb explosions, and still that tragedy continues due to ignorance.

"“These bug bombs are very flammable,” Mr. Byrnes said.

In fact, every year there are about 500 fires or explosions linked to the devices across the country, according to government statistics.

The pest control industry notes that with 50 million foggers sold each year, the number of accidents is relatively low."

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/13/nyregion/a-risky-weapon-in-the-fight-against-insects.html?_r=0

morgandecaptain

I dont make BHO but why cant we regulate the Butane so idiots cant buy cases of it?

You can't regulate "Stupid". Do you know how many people have blown themselves up by storing their gas can next to their hot water heater over the years. Some idiot just killed 7 children and himself by putting a gas generator in his kitchen because his power was out. Should we ban generators? It's a problem that's being exploited and blown out of proportion by anti marijuana people. I read that police killed 111 people in March in the USA,maybe we should look into that.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Honestly, the reason why this keeps happening is because people continue to talk on and on, incorrectly, about how the only good oil is BHO. So then, all the idiots continue to keep using butane. If we would promote the other methods more, maybe the idiots would start realizing they don't need to use butane? Obviously people have their opinions on all the non-butane forms of wax and oil... but regardless of how you actually feel about it... couldn't we all just stop promoting butane as the solvent of choice, and start pushing the ethanol and isopropyl methods now? When a flash fire occurs from these liquid alcohols, the fire is MUCH easier to extinguish, and the chances of it doing severe damage to property or people/pets is severely diminished.

jump /injack

Veteran
I've read most of Jump117's and the Guru of oil extraction Gray Wolf's learned dissertations and can think of NO explosions or fires with other solvents, that doesn't seem right and there has to be some accidents that I haven't picked up. Anyone know of alcohol explosions, QWISO and QWEH gives a very clean product, if you don't have a closed system or know what the basic fire protections are, maybe you shouldn't be using the BHO process. The odds and possibilities are always there that your going to end up in the burn ward, then the booking desk, then the DA's office, then being arraigned in court and then adjudicated by your peers. Then off to the Cross Bar Hotel for chance to think about how you could have stayed out of the situation in the first place. Of all the things that are going to happen the worse is having to look in the mirror and see what 2nd and 3rd degree burns have left you with, its not pretty.

Mayo Clinic first aid information:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-burns/basics/art-20056649

Last edited:

Roji

I've read most of Jump117's and the Guru of oil extraction Gray Wolf's learned dissertations and can think of NO explosions or fires with other solvents, that doesn't seem right and there has to be some accidents that I haven't picked up. Anyone know of alcohol explosions, QWISO and QWEH gives a very clean product, if you don't have a closed system or know what the basic fire protections are, maybe you shouldn't be using the BHO process. The odds and possibilities are always there that your going to end up in the burn ward, then the booking desk, then the DA's office, then being arraigned in court and then adjudicated by your peers. Then off to the Cross Bar Hotel for chance to think about how you could have stayed out of the situation in the first place. Of all the things that are going to happen the worse is having to look in the mirror and see what 2nd and 3rd degree burns have left you with, its not pretty.

Burns of a 2nd and 3rd Degree type associated with Butane type explosions below:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+2nd+and+3rd+degree+burns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Mayo Clinic first aid information:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/first-aid/first-aid-burns/basics/art-20056649

Before butane became popular, here in BC people used to blow up their houses with isopropyl making hash oil all the time. Boiling it on their stove.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Seriously? I just spent the last 10 minutes looking as hard as I can for evidence of anything like that and I'm coming up empty. Can you help me find a link about this? :)

Edit: I didn't think so. :tiphat: