What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
^ That is absolutely the best thing to recommend in terms of safety. I might be wrong here, but I think the main reason people don't promote that one as much is because it's not as pure, even though it's full-melt. So, it gunks up atomizers in a way that solvent concentrates do not. I might be wrong here, so please don't get mad at me if I am, lol. I don't make bubble hash so I'm not speaking from experience... just anecdotal information I've picked up from others...

Sunfire

Veteran
why even mess with that shit just grow quality bud n make bubble hash with clippings n call it good

Because human beings have an ego that makes them susceptible to trends and fads. Dabbing is a new fad. Bho has been around for as far as I personally know, 15 years. Everyone wants their over priced dab rig and the extremely potent single isolated compounds, it's human nature.

I will say though I like the high from sipping my new vape pen with oil as opposed to flowers, it's much more clean and uplifting. I don't need to do 1 gram dabs though.

Sunfire

Veteran
Fresh frozen water hash from your b buds is the best ever! It's dabbable if done right. I want to get a stand up freezer to start running the bubble washing machine inside of hehehehe!

For the trim, there's less option if you dry trim, maybe rosin that shit! That's the new wave of the future my friends!

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.kjct8.com/home/headlines/Hash-oil-blamed-for-explosion-in-Denver-home-252011271.html

Hash oil blamed for explosion in Denver home
Posted: Mon 1:25 PM, Mar 24, 2014
By: Associated Press Email

Authorities say three people trying to make marijuana hash oil caused an explosion that damaged their Denver duplex and left one of them injured.

DENVER (AP) Authorities say three people trying to make marijuana hash oil caused an explosion that damaged their Denver duplex and left one of them injured.

Denver Fire officials say the people could face arson charges stemming from Sunday's fire, which remains under investigation. Department spokesman Mark Watson says investigators found chemicals and paraphernalia that led them to believe the residents were using butane fuel to make hash oil, a high potency extract of marijuana, when the explosion occurred.

One person suffered minor burns and was treated on scene.

There have been several explosions caused by people trying to make hash oil in Colorado and around the country. Denver's fire department is starting to track such marijuana-related fires since Jan. 1, when recreational sales of the drug became legal in Colorado.
Palisade will be buzzing with activity this weekend

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Home-Drug-Lab-Explosion-Causes-300K-in-Damage-251176441.html

Suspected Home Drug Lab Explosion Causes $300K in Damage
Investigators believe that a butane bottle being used to make the "honey oil" drug may have exploded and caused the fire.

By Samia Khan and Toni Guinyard
Trending Stories

VideoCaught on Video: Officers Tase, Beat Man Fleeing on Horseback
VideoWith Driver Inside, Group Sets Fire to Car
"Star Wars: Invasion Los Angeles" Goes Viral
Video3rd-Grade Teacher Suspended Over Class Notes to Cop Killer
VideoSheriff: Horse Pursuit Arrest Beating "Appears to Be Excessive"

The two men who police believe are responsible for a home drug lab explosion were identified Thursday. Joseph Wickham and Andrew Gonzalez suffered serious injuries in the explosion. Toni Guinyard reports live for the NBC4 News at Noon on Thursday, March 20, 2014. (Published Thursday, Mar 20, 2014)
Updated at 2:03 PM PDT on Thursday, Mar 20, 2014

An explosion at what appears to be a home drug lab in Commerce has caused approximately $300,000 in damage and critically injured the two suspects who could face second-degree murder charges.

Sheriff’s deputies and the LA County Fire Department responded to the 2300 block of Ayers Avenue around 8:10 p.m. Wednesday regarding a call of a tree or transformer fire. Upon arrival, they found a guest house behind a home on fire.
Suspected Drug Lab Explodes
[LA] Suspected Drug Lab Explodes
A suspected home drug explosion caused hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage and critically injured two suspects in Commerce Wednesday night. Officials said labs like this are becoming more and more common. Toni Guinyard reports live for Today in LA on Thursday, March 20, 2014. (Published Thursday, Mar 20, 2014)

According to officials, hundreds of butane canisters were found inside the home that may have been used as part of a butane honey oil extraction laboratory, where marijuana is turned into hash oil or "honey oil." Investigators believe that one of the butane bottles may have exploded and caused the fire.

"The house was totally destroyed, burned, they won't be able to repair it," Det. Frank Lyga said.

The explosion was so strong that windows of the home were blown out, the roof was gone and the walls of the home were separated from the foundation.

Lyga told NBC4 that the probable cause of the explosion is the ignition of vapors from butane canisters used in the manufacturing of honey oil. In addition to hundreds of canisters, black tubes were also found in the debris. Lyga said in a honey oil operation, the tubes are filled with marijuana to extract the THC.

WATCH: Inside the Dangerous Practice of Making "Honey Oil"

Honey oil is reportedly gaining in popularity on the marijuana market. The highly-potent drug is made using THC from marijuana. Marijuana is approximately 35% THC, while honey oil is 95%, according to an NBC4 report.

Manufacturing honey oil is considered high value and low risk until butane vapors are ignited and explode, as is the case in this situation, according to detectives.

Two males, ages 18 and 21, were critically burned and transported to a local hospital for burn-related injuries, officials said. The hospitalized men face pending narcotics-related charges.

"If they survive I'm going to charge them with manufacturing a controlled substance." Lyga said. "If one survives and the other one doesn't, I'll charge the survivor with second-degree murder."

The suspects were identified late Thursday morning as Joseph Wickham and Andrew Gonzalez. Wickham suffered burns over 90 percent of his body, according to authorities.

Both men were in critical condition.

Lyga investigates drug related-crime as part of the LA Impact task force. He said that this is the third explosion and the fourth lab found in the last week and a half.

Approximately $300,000 in damage was caused to the home, officials said.

The explosion blew the house off its foundation, LAFD inspector Scott Miller said.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^ Watch this video, "the whole structure must have been filled with butane gas."

How could they even breath with the concentration so high? Try whiffing some butane sometime, they must have been reeling from the fumes.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If they survive I'm going to charge them with manufacturing a controlled substance." Lyga said. "If one survives and the other one doesn't, I'll charge the survivor with second-degree murder."

The suspects were identified late Thursday morning as Joseph Wickham and Andrew Gonzalez. Wickham suffered burns over 90 percent of his body, according to authorities.

Both men were in critical condition.

Approximately $300,000 in damage was caused to the home, officials said.

The general public and legislators are only going to get more concerned and pissed as this continues.

I predict that if agony, being disfigured for life, charged with manufacturing and murder, and being sued for more money than they will ever have by the insurance companies involved, as well as any other victims, doesn't get their attention, they are certifiable.

Alas, the sad truth is that some of our brothers and sisters are certifiable, so nothing but the disfigurement registers with them. They feel immortal and have no concern for others lives and property.

The disfigurement might even be an advantage in prison, because they will most likely only be raped in dark places.

We on the other hand, will continue to be painted with the same brush, sooooo it behooves us to exert our best efforts to educate the certifiable, some of which are probably also under the influence of other drugs like alcohol at the time as well, so our best efforts continue to fall short of the mark.

It is depressing to watch a train bear down on a functionally imbecilic sociopathic brother, with us'ns also standing in its path and no clear escape.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/police-find-hash-resin-oil-at-scene-of-barrie-garage-explosion-1.2282050

Courtney Heels, Anchor/Videographer, CTV News Barrie

@CourtHeelsCTV

Published Monday, March 16, 2015 1:02PM EDT
Last Updated Monday, March 16, 2015 6:31PM EDT

Investigators say a search of a garage where an explosion happened on Friday in Barrie has led to the discovery of hash and marijuana resin oil.

In a news release issued on Monday, Barrie police say searches of the 59 Collete Cres. home turned up cannabis marijuana, cannabis resin, also known as hash, and cannabis oil. Butane canisters were also found at the scene.

Investigators previously suspected a butane canister was being used in the extraction of marijuana resin when the explosion occurred. The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office has not yet determined a cause.
Related Stories

OFM, forensic unit sift through debris of Barrie garage explosion
Barrie police suspect 'drug-related' activities sparked garage explosion

Photos
Barrie garage explosion

A house and garage located at 59 Collete Cres. in Barrie, Ont. can be seen boarded up on Sunday, March 15, 2015. (Heather Butts/ CTV Barrie)

“Quite often people will grind up the rest of the leaves from the plant, and then they use the butane or some other solvent to extract the THC out of that part of the plant,” says Det. Sgt. Peter Dewsnap. “You're involved in a process, where you're using a flammable gas or liquid, so the very process is inherently dangerous.”

Police and fire investigators released the scene late Sunday afternoon, after spending the day sifting through debris and collecting evidence. The OFM has since sent samples for testing and are awaiting results.

In total, police say four people were in the garage, while eight children and two adults were in the house when the explosion happened. The children range in age between three-weeks-old and 15-years-old. Eleven people were taken to hospital, two of which are in critical condition – six others have been released.

This isn’t the first time an explosion like this has happened in Barrie. In 2004, there was an explosion at a home in the north end of the city. In that instance police say someone was trying to make hash oil and butane was being used.

With the enhancement charges [child endangerment] that will be placed on the original charges, these people are looking at 15 years in prison. Mercaptan's are in the future of butane extraction because of this irresponsibility, soon to follow will be insurance riders on all home owner policies that makes your insurance void if criminal activity is the cause of the damage; coming soon.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/03/...y-fire-says/DdfQSvEzBLSNIJXgjoJ3OJ/story.html

Explosion linked to illegal marijuana lab, fire official says

By John R. EllementGlobe staff March 27, 2014

An explosion that heavily damaged a Tewksbury residence Tuesday night was sparked when someone in an illegal lab used butane to extract the active ingredient from marijuana, the Tewksbury Fire Department said.

“This was a very dangerous situation for the residents and the firefighters,’’ Fire Chief Michael Hazel said.

“The buildup of butane vapors within the apartment came in contact with an ignition source and an explosion ensued,” Hazel said in a statement. “The process was being performed on and around an electric stove within the apartment.’’

The explosion injured two men and a woman and caused an estimated $200,000 in damage to the four-unit residence at 22 Astle St., the department said. The three injured people were taken by medical helicopter to Boston hospitals. Their conditions were not immediately available.

Firefighters responded to the scene from Billerica, while units from Wilmington and Andover also responded for coverage, fire officials said.

A number of full and empty and butane cylinders were found at the apartment, Hazel said.

Dr. Lester Grinspoon, a retired Harvard Medical School professor who has long advocated medical use of marijuana, said the refinery process generates a concentrated form of THC, the acronym for tetrahydrocannabinol, the active constituent of marijuana. The concentrated dose is used in electronic cigarettes, among other applications.

In a telephone interview, Grinspoon said using butane is one of several ways to distill the substance.

He cited two major concerns with the butane process: Sometimes traces of butane survive the extraction process and can be inhaled. The second issue is when untrained people tackle the task.

The incident is under investigation by the Tewksbury fire and police departments, state troopers assigned to the office of State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan, and the State Police bomb squad.

John R. Ellement can be reached at ellement@
globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Skunk Pharm Research's three partners unanimously agree to take open blasting instructions from our site.

We are doing so, because of the number of open extractors who are extracting indoors and blowing stuff up, thus giving us all a bad name.

There are enough sites demonstrating how to open blast, so ours shouldn't be missed.

It is always sad, when the few trash things for the masses................

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...-support-man-badly-burned-in-garage-explosion

vent Sunday in Barrie to support man badly burned in garage explosion 0
Cheryl Browne

By Cheryl Browne, Barrie Examiner

Thursday, March 19, 2015 1:24:17 EDT PM
Barrie firefighters battle a house fire at 59 Collete Cres. Friday night. MARK WANZEL PHOTO

Barrie firefighters battle a house fire at 59 Collete Cres. Friday night. MARK WANZEL PHOTO

Change text size for the story

Print

Report an error
More Coverage

'Hash' seized at explosion site: UPDATE

Harley Courvoisier FACEBOOK PHOTO

Friends and family of Harley Courvoisier are celebrating his life at the Spirit Catcher on Sunday.

Courvoisier is one of four people badly injured in the garage explosion last Friday on Collete Crescent, said his sister Marissa Marion.

“He's the kind of person people couldn't help but be drawn to him,” Marion said Wednesday. “He'd do anything to make you smile, even if he looked like a fool doing it.”

Friends of the 19-year-old Barrie man say he was asleep in the garage when the fire started with what police believe were butane canisters used during the making of hash oil.

Fire crews responded shortly after 9 p.m. when neighbours heard several loud explosions emanating from 59 Collete Cres. in Barrie's north end.

When they arrived, they found the garage completely engulfed in flames and three critically-injured men, including Courvoisier, and one woman requiring immediate medical attention. He and a friend were visiting a couple in their 30s who lived in one of the apartments in the two-storey home.

All four burn victims were initially stabilized at Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre before Courvoisier and another were transported to Sunnybrook hospital. The other two burn victims were sent to the burn unit at Hamilton General Hospital.

Police have yet to lay charges and had no further update regarding their investigation, Wednesday.

Police say there were also eight children and two more adults still inside the house, and that the kids – aged three weeks to 15 years old – were all safely removed from the home and are now staying with relatives.

Marion said Courvoisier was transported to Sunnybrook hospital with burns to 50% of his body, she said.

“When we got to the hospital, his face was so swollen my mom didn't even recognize him,” Marion said.

A tattoo of a multi-coloured marijuana leaf on his arm helped Marion determine it was her brother, although she said that skin has since been removed.

Courvoisier has had two major surgeries and is currently sedated, she added.

Marion and several friends are hosting a get-together at the Spirit Catcher Sunday to share their thoughts and prayers for the man they love. They hope to raise some money to assist his mother as she travels to Toronto to visit him each day.

A Facebook page to enlist supporters called “Let's all show our support to Harley Courvoisier” has been set up and Candace (no last name used) said they've had more than 100 visits in two days.

“It's inspiring to see so many people care. We've asked everyone to bring a balloon on Sunday and we'll release them all at the end,” she said.

Alex Matthews said he and Courvoisier were to move into a shared apartment April 1. To help his friend feel better, he is creating a video of the Tight & Bright event at The Mansion Nightclub Thursday night, as well as filming the Sunday walk at the waterfront which he hopes Courvoisier will appreciate when he's able to watch it. The event starts at 2 p.m.

“I just want to show him, hey, we're here for you,” Matthews said. “Harley was like a brother to everyone who knew him. He's honestly just an amazing guy.”

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.recordnet.com/article/20150416/NEWS/150419761/101087/A_NEWS

FIRE IN DUPLEX
Teen badly hurt in blaze
Arson investigator called to check for drug activity
email print Comment
A 17-year-old boy suffered second- and third-degree burns Thursday in a residential fire on South Hinkley Avenue in east Stockton. |

A 17-year-old boy suffered second- and third-degree burns Thursday in a residential fire on South Hinkley Avenue in east Stockton. Arson inspectors were called out to investigate the possibility that an illegal honey oil operation sparked the blaze. JASON ANDERSON/THE RECORD
By Jason Anderson
Record Staff Writer

Posted Apr. 16, 2015 at 9:00 PM
Updated Apr 16, 2015 at 10:37 PM

STOCKTON — A teenage boy was badly burned in a residential fire Thursday evening in east Stockton, and arson investigators were called out to determine whether the blaze was sparked by illegal drug activity, authorities said.

The fire was reported about 5:35 p.m. at a duplex in the 800 block of South Hinkley Avenue, a residential street just east of Highway 99 and north of East Main Street. Firefighters arrived to find the burn victim in front of the home and fire showing from a window on the south side of the duplex, Chief’s Operator Art Ray of the Stockton Fire Department said.

The victim, a 17-year-old boy, was rushed to a hospital with what appeared to be second- and third-degree burns, Ray said. Paris Alexandria, 20, who lives in the adjoining unit in the duplex, said she was inside her home when someone alerted her to the fire next door.

“I just heard banging on the front door and then I smelled smoke, so I ran,” Alexandria said.

Alexandria said she saw the burn victim when she ran outside.

“He was burned bad,” she said. “Open skin on his back, his arms and his legs. He was just screaming.”

The victim’s mother and sister were not home when the fire started, but they arrived at the scene a short time after the boy was taken to the hospital.

“I’m trying to figure out where my son is right now,” Virginia Zavalza said. “Nobody seems to know which hospital he’s going to.”

Andrea Lobato, 20, the victim’s sister, said she heard about the fire when she received a phone call from a neighbor.

“The neighbor called and told me they saw my brother run outside with burns on him, and as soon as he got out, the house (burst into flames).”

Ray said there was heavy fire and smoke damage throughout the unit where the fire started, adding that it was “totally destroyed.” Firefighters saved the adjoining unit, which sustained only smoke damage and a broken window, Ray said.

A Pacific Gas & Electric technician was called to remove a downed power line that fell in the street due to the heat from the fire, Ray said.

The cause and origin of the fire were under investigation, but an arson inspector was called to the scene to investigate whether it was caused by a honey oil operation, Ray said. Honey oil, which is also known as hash oil, is a highly potent form of cannabis.

Explosions have been known to occur as a result of honey oil production. In February, two men were badly burned when a honey oil operation resulted in an explosion at a home in Mountain House. In 2012, three people were critically injured when honey oil production led to a fiery explosion at an apartment in Tracy.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...n-pleads-guilty-in-hash-oil-explosion-/nkxYZ/

Lake Park man pleads guilty in hash oil explosion that started fire
9:54 p.m. Friday, April 17, 2015 | Filed in: Crime

Despite law, widow can’t get records from nursing home about husband's death

Access to MyPalmBeachPost.com included for Post subscribers
Explore

FORT PIERCE — A 31-year-old Palm Beach County man pleaded guilty this week to operating a butane hash oil laboratory that exploded in December and damaged a Stuart townhome, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said.

»RELATED: Price of pot: Hash oil brewing explosions on the rise

Daniel Paul Vranich, a Lake Park resident who had been living in Martin County, appeared in federal court Thursday in Fort Pierce before Chief U.S. Magistrate Frank J. Lynch Jr.

He pleaded guilty to charges of endangering human life while illegally manufacturing a controlled substance, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Vranich, who lists poker player as his occupation, faces to up to 10 years in prison for the manufacturing charge and 15 years for the weapons charges. No date for his sentencing has been set.

According to police, on the morning of Dec. 30, Vranich and his 21-year-old girlfriend, Anna Rae Kellog, were in a residence in the Villa Bella Central Park Townhouses — east of Kanner Highway off Southeast Central Parkway — when a fire was started by butane that extracts oils from marijuana. The couple had been living in the apartment with their twin baby girls, prosecutors said.

The fire did not cause any injuries, but 35 people were temporarily forced to leave the building.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.kptv.com/story/28601393/...ing-harsher-penalties-for-hash-oil-explosions

Oregon legislators considering harsher penalties for hash oil explosions
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 9:05 AM PDT
Updated: Apr 21, 2015 9:11 AM PDT
By FOX 12 Staff
Connect

Manufacturers use highly-flammable butane gas to extract hash oil
SALEM, OR (KPTV) -

People responsible for fires that result from extracting hash oil could face harsher penalties in the future under some changes lawmakers are considering making to Oregon's arson laws.

Hash oil is a highly concentrated extract of marijuana.

Users extract the oil by heating marijuana leaves with butane, a highly flammable gas. A spark is all that's needed to ignite butane vapors even in well-ventilated areas.

Many of the people who make hash oil are medical marijuana card holders and most face minor charges for the explosions that can take place, but lawmakers want to change that.

They're considering revising Oregon's arson laws so that hash oil manufacturers would face first- or second-degree arson charges in the event of an explosion or fire.

In some cases, that would be a Measure 11 crime, meaning serious prison time.

The federal government is also taking a tougher approach to hash oil explosions.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Portland recently charged three people with endangering others during two separate hash oil explosions. If convicted, they could face 10 years in prison.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.golocalprov.com/news/does-the-kinsley-ave-fire-help-or-hurt-marijuana-legalization-in-ri

Does the Kinsley Ave Fire Help or Hurt Marijuana Legalization in RI?

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Kate Nagle, GoLocal Contributor

Will the fire at Kinsley Avenue in Providence, which is alleged to have had highly flammable butane present for hash oil production, have an impact on marijuana legalization efforts in the state?

Legislation was introduced on March 6 at the State House for the tax and regulation of marijuana -- where both supporters and opponents were present at the press conference. Currently, Rhode Island is one of 23 states along with Washington, DC that allows for medical marijuana.

"This is just an example of why we should be regulating this type of activity, and having it done by people who are allowed to do it," said Mason Tvert with the Marijuana Policy Project, of the Kinsley Avenue fire. "There are all sorts of legal products we wouldn't support the average.person trying to make in their homes or offices."

The product in question, butane hash oil -- which is procured by solvent extraction -- would be regulated under the Rhode Island legislation proposed.

"There is a section that speaks to the regulation of oils through the [Department of Business Regulation]," said State Representative Scott Slater, one of the bill sponsors. "The production would be subject to fire code and require safety guidelines are in place, similar to what Colorado has."

Butane hash oil, however, has been the cause of a dozens of fires elsewhere around the country.

Dr. Kevin Sabet with Smart Approaches to Marijuana (which he co-founded with former Rhode island Congressman Patrick Kennedy) addressed the argument put forth by legalization supporters

"That might sound nice in theory, but in practice it's a very different story. Colorado has legalized marijuana and it has only increased butane hash oil explosions in that state," said Sabet. "The burn units of major hospitals have seen an increase in burn victims. Legalization means more people using, and more problems like this occurring. "

On March 19, WPRI reported that the state fire marshal's office confirmed that butane tanks were pulled from the rubble the office. The Office of Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven Pare referred all phone calls to U.S. Attorney Jim Martin as the investigation continues.

"The Providence Fire Marshall, the ATF, and the State Fire Marshal's office have been regularly updating us on the investigation," said Martin on Friday. "That's all I have to say at this time."

Regulation at Center

Following the fire on March 10, Rhode Island Fire Marshal John Chartier told GoLocal that Kinsley Avenue aside, that he had serious concerns about marijuana growing facilities in the state.

Regulate Rhode Island's Jared Moffat, like Tvert, said the incident-- should it be proven to be butane hash oil related -- provided additional ammunition for proponents of legalization legislation.

"Butane hash should be regulated, it's our core argument. Any production should be regulated to minimize public health risks," said Moffat on March 10. "If you don't regulate, you'll have people do it an unregulated setting."

Long time legalization advocate State Representative Edie Ajello also argued in favor of regulation for safety purposes.

"In all of my time working on the issue, a big part of my reason for wanting to see marijuana regulated and taxed, is to get rid of this sort of thing," said Ajello. "When we push something that is commonly used, and used in medical situations in Rhode Island -- when we push that underground, we have all sorts of risks. There's the criminal element, and more dangerous drugs....and this sort of processing into places where by definition it has to hide, and there's no oversight."

"To pull marijuana away from the illicit trace is a good thing," Ajello continued. "Criminals who have a hand in the trade, they don't have the economic incentive not to sell to minors. Since they're selling one illicit substance, why not sell others that are more dangerous?"

Patient Concerns

Joanne Leppanen, the Executive Director of the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition, had been housed in the now destroyed Kinsley Avenue building, but said she had been unaware of any butane hash oil production.

"I don't know what they found, or what someone could have left off there," said Lepannen. "I think anybody knows about hash oil production, this was a primitive way to do it. You can't do it indoors to do it safely. We don't know if someone was doing it there, or leaving it there."

As for the end product of butane hash oil, Leppanen has mixed feelings on the product.

We work with a lot of patients who are ill with compromised immune systems, no one wants to put butane in their bodies. Even if you were to use it, how would you know all the butane is out of there? So if you're looking for something that's organic, that's valued for being non-toxic? That's counter-intuitive," said Lepannen. 'How do you insure the patient that it's safe to consume?"

"However, I've met patients who've said that it has worked for them better than any other remedy, so who am I to take away the best medicine for someone," said Leppanen. "How do you get the most effective form to the patient that's safe to ingest? That's a conversation we need to be having."

Leppanen spoke to the current law -- and confusion -- surrounding hash oil.

"I've reached out to the Attorney General's office, about hearing from the State Police as to law enforcement changes specifically pertaining to butane oil and marijuana - that they can arrest if they find butane in the presence of marijuana," said Lepannen. "I do worry about if you say something's illegal, you have to put people on notice. People are getting mixed messages. There are serious legal concerns.

The AG's office did not answer repeated request for clarification when asked on March 10 about the new regulations mentioned by Rhode Island State Police Detective Commander Major Kevin O'Brien.

"I was out in California this summer, and I believe they had banned [butane hash oil] in San Jose -- the compassion centers too -- if my memory serves me," said Lepannen. "I thought the compassion centers could afford the proper equipment, but maybe they thought if people would get hooked on it."

SAM's Sabet, who serves as an assistant professor of psychiatry and Director of the Drug Policy Institute at the University of Florida, said the public should more aware of the impact of butane hash oil.

"What we need to do is educate people on why hash oil - which can contain 90% or more THC - is so dangerous to both consume and produce," said Sabet.

There hasn't been a fire/explosion when a closed system was being used for the last 2 or 3 years. Before laws are passed that forbid this type of extraction, maybe its time to make this knowledge available before laws are passed that criminalize it. Essential oils have been extracted for 100's of years with no problems and a closed system used prudently is safe.

Sunfire

Veteran
SAM is in Nevada county too and I feel they arnt to be trusted from what I've read. They are for sure on the government's side and not the patients side

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.golocalprov.com/news/does-the-kinsley-ave-fire-help-or-hurt-marijuana-legalization-in-ri

Does the Kinsley Ave Fire Help or Hurt Marijuana Legalization in RI?

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Kate Nagle, GoLocal Contributor

Will the fire at Kinsley Avenue in Providence, which is alleged to have had highly flammable butane present for hash oil production, have an impact on marijuana legalization efforts in the state?

Legislation was introduced on March 6 at the State House for the tax and regulation of marijuana -- where both supporters and opponents were present at the press conference. Currently, Rhode Island is one of 23 states along with Washington, DC that allows for medical marijuana.

"This is just an example of why we should be regulating this type of activity, and having it done by people who are allowed to do it," said Mason Tvert with the Marijuana Policy Project, of the Kinsley Avenue fire. "There are all sorts of legal products we wouldn't support the average.person trying to make in their homes or offices."

The product in question, butane hash oil -- which is procured by solvent extraction -- would be regulated under the Rhode Island legislation proposed.

"There is a section that speaks to the regulation of oils through the [Department of Business Regulation]," said State Representative Scott Slater, one of the bill sponsors. "The production would be subject to fire code and require safety guidelines are in place, similar to what Colorado has."

Butane hash oil, however, has been the cause of a dozens of fires elsewhere around the country.

Dr. Kevin Sabet with Smart Approaches to Marijuana (which he co-founded with former Rhode island Congressman Patrick Kennedy) addressed the argument put forth by legalization supporters

"That might sound nice in theory, but in practice it's a very different story. Colorado has legalized marijuana and it has only increased butane hash oil explosions in that state," said Sabet. "The burn units of major hospitals have seen an increase in burn victims. Legalization means more people using, and more problems like this occurring. "

On March 19, WPRI reported that the state fire marshal's office confirmed that butane tanks were pulled from the rubble the office. The Office of Providence Public Safety Commissioner Steven Pare referred all phone calls to U.S. Attorney Jim Martin as the investigation continues.

"The Providence Fire Marshall, the ATF, and the State Fire Marshal's office have been regularly updating us on the investigation," said Martin on Friday. "That's all I have to say at this time."

Regulation at Center

Following the fire on March 10, Rhode Island Fire Marshal John Chartier told GoLocal that Kinsley Avenue aside, that he had serious concerns about marijuana growing facilities in the state.

Regulate Rhode Island's Jared Moffat, like Tvert, said the incident-- should it be proven to be butane hash oil related -- provided additional ammunition for proponents of legalization legislation.

"Butane hash should be regulated, it's our core argument. Any production should be regulated to minimize public health risks," said Moffat on March 10. "If you don't regulate, you'll have people do it an unregulated setting."

Long time legalization advocate State Representative Edie Ajello also argued in favor of regulation for safety purposes.

"In all of my time working on the issue, a big part of my reason for wanting to see marijuana regulated and taxed, is to get rid of this sort of thing," said Ajello. "When we push something that is commonly used, and used in medical situations in Rhode Island -- when we push that underground, we have all sorts of risks. There's the criminal element, and more dangerous drugs....and this sort of processing into places where by definition it has to hide, and there's no oversight."

"To pull marijuana away from the illicit trace is a good thing," Ajello continued. "Criminals who have a hand in the trade, they don't have the economic incentive not to sell to minors. Since they're selling one illicit substance, why not sell others that are more dangerous?"

Patient Concerns

Joanne Leppanen, the Executive Director of the Rhode Island Patient Advocacy Coalition, had been housed in the now destroyed Kinsley Avenue building, but said she had been unaware of any butane hash oil production.

"I don't know what they found, or what someone could have left off there," said Lepannen. "I think anybody knows about hash oil production, this was a primitive way to do it. You can't do it indoors to do it safely. We don't know if someone was doing it there, or leaving it there."

As for the end product of butane hash oil, Leppanen has mixed feelings on the product.

We work with a lot of patients who are ill with compromised immune systems, no one wants to put butane in their bodies. Even if you were to use it, how would you know all the butane is out of there? So if you're looking for something that's organic, that's valued for being non-toxic? That's counter-intuitive," said Lepannen. 'How do you insure the patient that it's safe to consume?"

"However, I've met patients who've said that it has worked for them better than any other remedy, so who am I to take away the best medicine for someone," said Leppanen. "How do you get the most effective form to the patient that's safe to ingest? That's a conversation we need to be having."

Leppanen spoke to the current law -- and confusion -- surrounding hash oil.

"I've reached out to the Attorney General's office, about hearing from the State Police as to law enforcement changes specifically pertaining to butane oil and marijuana - that they can arrest if they find butane in the presence of marijuana," said Lepannen. "I do worry about if you say something's illegal, you have to put people on notice. People are getting mixed messages. There are serious legal concerns.

The AG's office did not answer repeated request for clarification when asked on March 10 about the new regulations mentioned by Rhode Island State Police Detective Commander Major Kevin O'Brien.

"I was out in California this summer, and I believe they had banned [butane hash oil] in San Jose -- the compassion centers too -- if my memory serves me," said Lepannen. "I thought the compassion centers could afford the proper equipment, but maybe they thought if people would get hooked on it."

SAM's Sabet, who serves as an assistant professor of psychiatry and Director of the Drug Policy Institute at the University of Florida, said the public should more aware of the impact of butane hash oil.

"What we need to do is educate people on why hash oil - which can contain 90% or more THC - is so dangerous to both consume and produce," said Sabet.

There hasn't been a fire/explosion when a closed system was being used for the last 2 or 3 years. Before laws are passed that forbid this type of extraction, maybe its time to make this knowledge available before laws are passed that criminalize it. Essential oils have been extracted for 100's of years with no problems and a closed system used prudently is safe.

RI invited the federal investigators to get involved in their butane explosion problem, and the federal investigator sent out request letters for the purchase records of two individuals from RI and a company.

Skunk Pharm Research received such a letter, but we provide no equipment, and had provided the individuals no services under the names given.

Ya'll please be advised that RI appears to be seriously pissed about the explosions and dead serious.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.kptv.com/story/28601393/...ing-harsher-penalties-for-hash-oil-explosions

Oregon legislators considering harsher penalties for hash oil explosions
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 9:05 AM PDT
Updated: Apr 21, 2015 9:11 AM PDT
By FOX 12 Staff
Connect

SALEM, OR (KPTV) -

People responsible for fires that result from extracting hash oil could face harsher penalties in the future under some changes lawmakers are considering making to Oregon's arson laws.

Hash oil is a highly concentrated extract of marijuana.

Users extract the oil by heating marijuana leaves with butane, a highly flammable gas. A spark is all that's needed to ignite butane vapors even in well-ventilated areas.

Many of the people who make hash oil are medical marijuana card holders and most face minor charges for the explosions that can take place, but lawmakers want to change that.

They're considering revising Oregon's arson laws so that hash oil manufacturers would face first- or second-degree arson charges in the event of an explosion or fire.

In some cases, that would be a Measure 11 crime, meaning serious prison time.

The federal government is also taking a tougher approach to hash oil explosions.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Portland recently charged three people with endangering others during two separate hash oil explosions. If convicted, they could face 10 years in prison.

Imo the only law that's practical (and needed,) is to to put away for a long time anyone getting caught in reckless endangerment of his brothers and sisters. You blow your house or apartment up, and it's determined you were a careless BHOtard extractor, enjoy prison, serves an additional purpose of keeping you from spreading your degenerate genes further. The law should apply to all equally, meth lab operators, fireworks makers, model rocketeers, shell reloaders, etc.

Along with a Federal level go to prison endangerment law would be a clear statement on every can of butane, "Improper use of this product resulting in the endangerment of others is a Federal Felony, punishable by up to life in prison."

As to RI ^^

You couldn't pack enough butane in a dab of BHO to be of any health concern. If you'll look back a few posts you'll see even Dr. Lester Grinspoon was taken in by this nonsense. If you think plain butane is poison, adding mercaptan to canned butane should finish off the cigar smokers just that much quicker... you're going down the wrong path with these knee jerk reactions.

Sorry this won't copy/paste, but here is why you don't want ethyl mercaptan (the odorant used with butane and propane) in canned butane.

http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0894.pdf

Some politician gets on his high horse demanding the addition of ethyl mercaptan to canned butane, and he's going to run into major opposition from the famous cigar smokers around the globe, Rush Limbaugh, Clint Eastwood....... the spirit of George Burns. lol

Last edited:

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm watching a BHO fire live on the evening news happening in Los Feliz/Silverlake SoCal. They're staying with the story... it's also the location of a grow. Looking back at the video on my DVR I can see cans of butane and a vac oven/pump. They were extracting inside of a garage...

Here's over seven minutes of helicopter video coverage of the fire in real time,

http://ktla.com/2015/04/24/firefighters-battling-blaze-at-two-story-home-in-los-feliz/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts