What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...tment-explosion-blamed-on-hash-oil-production

Colorado Springs apartment explosion blamed on hash oil production
6:41 AM, Mar 3, 2014

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo., - Colorado Springs police have arrested a man on drug charges after an apartment exploded on Sunday.

Lee Brown, 51, is facing several charges, including unlawful possession and manufacturing of a controlled substance and reckless endangerment.

According to KRDO-TV, no injuries were reported. The apartment, in the 300 block of University Drive, was heavily damaged.

Police say Brown was trying to make butane hash oil, a high potency extract of marijuana, using butane fuel, when the explosion occurred.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_25272045/drug-making-explosion-injures-california-man

AP, must have just picked this up, happened a year ago.

Drug-making explosion injures California man
The Associated Press
Posted: 03/04/2014 10:59:19 AM PST0 Comments | Updated: about a year ago
WILLITS, Calif.—A Northern California man was seriously injured and his home damaged in an explosion and fire police suspect were caused during an attempt to make "concentrated cannabis."

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat (http://************/mjfr8dk) reports that 38-year-old David Madrigal of Willits was flown to a burn center for treatment.

Fire officials say the explosion at Madrigal's house over the weekend was the fifth such incident alleging involving illegal drug labs exploding and injuring people in the region this year.

Flammable solvents such as butane are used to manufacturer concentrated cannabis, which concentrates the active ingredient in marijuana.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/At-Least-6-Displaced-after-Apartment-Fire-249225391.html

Posted today but the year is wrong, where are the proof readers?

Hash Oil Led to Apartment Explosion in North Park
Witnesses say they heard an explosion before the fire started
By Christina London and Matt Rascon
Trending Stories

NBC 7's Matt Rascon reports on an explosion and fire in a North Park apartment complex that firefighters say was caused by a drug operation. Ed. Note: The initial location was reported as University Heights. (Published Monday, Mar 10, 2014)
Updated at 8:51 AM PDT on Monday, Mar 10, 2014

Manufacturing hash oil caused an explosion inside a San Diego apartment that trapped at least one woman on her balcony, officials said.

"I heard this boom and the building shaked," North Park resident Juliano Queiroz described what happened moments before fire broke out around 6:15 p.m. at the Suncrest Villas apartment complex.

Thick gray smoke could be seen pouring from the top floor of the building located at 30th Street and Suncrest Drive.

"Come outside and you could see huge plumes of smoke," said witness Chris Ross.

Queiroz and other residents rushed to retrieve their personal belongings.

"I just ran back to my place, got my passport, my documents, my car keys and left," he said.

The entire third floor of the building sustained smoke damage, according to the San Diego Fire Department.

Fire investigators said the explosion was caused by a butane explosion during hash oil extraction.

A section of a refrigerator was launched from the unit affected onto the yard below the apartment unit.

A man and a woman were handcuffed and put into police cars.

The fire closed Suncrest Drive for hours.

Officials say at least six residents have asked the Red Cross for assistance.

This is getting to be a common type of explosion. Get the butane out of the kitchen, get it out of your house or apartment. If its in the freezer and there is a leak, when the refrigerator kicks on there is a spark which set off the leaking butane and it will blow up. A butane fireball is over 3400 degree's and if your inside of it you'll look like a piece of "Kentucky Fried Chicken". One day in a burn ward is over $5000, the attorney fee's are $10,000 to $100,000, the jail sentence can be 84 months in Ca., you will never be the same.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
"Officials say at least six residents have asked the Red Cross for assistance."

The Red Cross runs around American apartment building for tiny fires????? And then throws money at people with smokey apartments???

Cross the Red Cross off my list of ever seeing a single $.01 from me.

I used to have a little bit of respect for the red cross. I wish they would have stuck to P.O.W. work.

:joint:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/At-Least-6-Displaced-after-Apartment-Fire-249225391.html

Posted today but the year is wrong, where are the proof readers?

Hash Oil Led to Apartment Explosion in North Park
Witnesses say they heard an explosion before the fire started
By Christina London and Matt Rascon
Trending Stories

NBC 7's Matt Rascon reports on an explosion and fire in a North Park apartment complex that firefighters say was caused by a drug operation. Ed. Note: The initial location was reported as University Heights. (Published Monday, Mar 10, 2014)
Updated at 8:51 AM PDT on Monday, Mar 10, 2014

Manufacturing hash oil caused an explosion inside a San Diego apartment that trapped at least one woman on her balcony, officials said.

"I heard this boom and the building shaked," North Park resident Juliano Queiroz described what happened moments before fire broke out around 6:15 p.m. at the Suncrest Villas apartment complex.

Thick gray smoke could be seen pouring from the top floor of the building located at 30th Street and Suncrest Drive.

"Come outside and you could see huge plumes of smoke," said witness Chris Ross.

Queiroz and other residents rushed to retrieve their personal belongings.

"I just ran back to my place, got my passport, my documents, my car keys and left," he said.

The entire third floor of the building sustained smoke damage, according to the San Diego Fire Department.

Fire investigators said the explosion was caused by a butane explosion during hash oil extraction.

A section of a refrigerator was launched from the unit affected onto the yard below the apartment unit.

A man and a woman were handcuffed and put into police cars.

The fire closed Suncrest Drive for hours.

Officials say at least six residents have asked the Red Cross for assistance.

This is getting to be a common type of explosion. Get the butane out of the kitchen, get it out of your house or apartment. If its in the freezer and there is a leak, when the refrigerator kicks on there is a spark which set off the leaking butane and it will blow up. A butane fireball is over 3400 degree's and if your inside of it you'll look like a piece of "Kentucky Fried Chicken". One day in a burn ward is over $5000, the attorney fee's are $10,000 to $100,000, the jail sentence can be 84 months in Ca., you will never be the same.
Makes you wonder what part the refrigerator and alleged minds played, doesn't it?

jump /injack

Veteran
http://q13fox.com/2014/03/11/hash-oil-explosion-rocks-seattle-neighborhood/

Another explosion in the kitchen. What is it about that people don't understand about the danger of blowing their face off while extracting in a house or apartment. There are to many points of ignition in a house to safely do this, gas pools and a spark of any kind will detonate the mixture. Its over 3400 degree inside the fireball, you and anyone with you will fry, you'll never pay off the hospital bills and you'll go to prison; you'll be crying for a long time.

Home explosion in Seattle neighborhood blamed on hash-oil production

Posted 5:09 PM, March 11, 2014, by John Hopperstad, Updated at 05:55pm, March 11, 2014

SEATTLE — Police said a man in Seattle Lake City neighborhood admitted he was making hash oil when there was an explosion inside his home.

“It was loud and it was a pretty darn big disturbance in the neighborhood,” said Max Ramhorst, who lives next door and said his house shook from the blast.

The blast happened around 9:30 p.m. Monday on the 3000 block of NE 135th Street. No one was injured.

The 37-year-old man living in the home told investigators the explosion was so powerful that his refrigerator exploded, four windows broke, and the back wall of the house moved three inches.

An explosion at this home in Seattle’s Lake City area Monday night was blamed on a hash-oil operation. (Photo: KCPQ-TV)

This is the latest in a series of hash oil explosions across the area in the past few years. They usually involve using butane to separate the THC from marijuana. Butane is also very flammable.

In the case of the Lake City house, “The butane probably worked it’s way in to the refrigeration system, into the electronics, hit a spark and just went up like that,” said Brandon Hamilton, who owns WAMOIL and creates hash oil from the safety of his lab in Seattle.

The oil is then put in vials for vaporizers, which are sold in medical marijuana dispensaries now, and soon, state licensed retail stores. Vaporizers, especially “vape pens,” are becoming a popular alternative way to inhale pot.

Hamilton uses a carbon dioxide extractor at his lab, along with other expensive high-tech equipment to make sure his operation remains safe.

“We have a controlled system that has pressure relief valves,” said Hamilton. “If it starts exceeding the pressure, the pressure will release.”

Expensive equipment and safety controls are usually not in the hands of people who make hash oil in their house or apartment.

Over the last several months, there have been several explosions around the Northwest involving people who may have been trying to make hash oil, including a fire at a Bellevue apartment complex that caused more then $1 million in damage.

“We are seeing more of this,” said Seattle police spokesman Mark Jamieson. “It’s potentially very, very dangerous.”

Hamilton hopes once hash oil starts to be sold in legal pot retail stores this summer, most of the homemade labs will dry up. Until then, the danger will likely continue.

“There’s thousands of videos on YouTube that will show you how to do it, but most of them don’t show you how to do it safely,” he said.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://q13fox.com/2014/03/11/hash-oil-production-explodes-in-mason-county-home/

Four go to hospital when butane explodes in their house

HELTON — A home explosion sent four people to the hospital Tuesday afternoon, and police say the occupants were trying to manufacture hash oil.

blastThe blast happened just after noon on Grandview Avenue — and the home was damaged.

The sliding glass door on the backside of the home was completely blasted out.

“There was glass, in fact, that was blown out of a window there with such force that shards embedded in a fence that surrounds the property,” said Les Watson with the Shelton Police Department.

The explosion didn’t injure anyone outside the home. Right next door to the home is a day care.

Three 20-year-olds and a teenager drove to an area hospital with multiple injuries and two were later transferred to Harborview in Seattle for treatment of burns.

On Monday night, a man in Seattle’s Lake City neighborhood admitted he was making hash oil when there was an explosion inside his home. No one was injured in that blast.

The 37-year-old man living in the home told investigators the explosion was so powerful that his refrigerator exploded, four windows broke, and the back wall of the house moved three inches.

This is the latest in a series of hash oil explosions across the area in the past few years. They usually involve using butane to separate the THC from marijuana. Butane is also very flammable.

In the case of the Lake City house, “The butane probably worked it’s way in to the refrigeration system, into the electronics, hit a spark and just went up like that,” said Brandon Hamilton, who owns WAMOIL and creates hash oil from the safety of his lab in Seattle.

The oil is then put in vials for vaporizers, which are sold in medical marijuana dispensaries now, and soon, state licensed retail stores. Vaporizers, especially “vape pens,” are becoming a popular alternative way to inhale pot.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/home/3551426-181/hash-oil-operation-suspected-in

Hash oil operation suspected in rural Santa Rosa explosions, blaze

Santa Rosa firefighters help to put out a fire on Ramondo Drive between Santa Rosa and Sebastopol, Wednesday Feb 18, 2015. (Kent Porter / Press Democrat) 2015

BY JULIE JOHNSON

Explosions rock rural Santa Rosa neighborhood; fire destroys home

Sheriff’s detectives suspect a home west of Santa Rosa that went up in flames Wednesday amid a series of explosions was the site of a hash oil operation based on equipment they said was found in the aftermath of the destructive fire.

As they battled the blaze that gutted the house on Ramondo Drive, fire crews on Wednesday encountered hundreds of small butane fuel canisters and other potential evidence of drug activity both indoors and outside the home, fire investigators said.

The sheriff’s narcotics team launched an investigation and found additional evidence, Gossett said, although he declined to go into detail about what they’ve discovered so far. Detectives have not yet made any arrests, he said.

“We’re going to try to piece together as much as possible, but we won’t be able to get every piece of the puzzle because of the potential that (evidence) was destroyed in the fire,” Gossett said.

The blaze was the latest linked to the dangerous use of butane — a highly flammable gas — in the production of hash oil.

In November, two Ukiah men were hospitalized with burns caused by an explosion and fire in a shed where police said they were making hash oil.

That incident was one of five similar explosions reported last year in Mendocino and Sonoma counties, according to Press Democrat archives. In 2013, a Santa Rosa man suffered burns across more than half his body in an explosion when he was making hash oil in a kitchen, according to police.

Production techniques vary, but one common method involves pumping butane fuel through a tube to extract THC, the psychoactive ingredient in cannabis, from marijuana trimmings. The result is a potent, waxy extract known by several names, including hash oil and honey oil.

Central Fire Authority Investigator Cyndi Foreman said fire investigators have not determined precisely how the fire started. She said they are taking a close look at the butane canisters, which when used can cause flammable gas to build up inside a home. Fire can spark if the gas is ignited, and there are many ways that can happen, from switching on a light to the pilot light on a stove, she said.

The stupidity that abounds and tarnishes the Concentrate Industry is shearly dumbfounding these days. Here in Canada we started manufacturing different oils through the petroleum ether Isomerisation of the 70's, making the original true Honey Oil, to ISO pressure cooker oil stills and a system of 2 x 45 gallon drums manufactured into a large Iso extractor/reclaim still (20lbs material & 20 gallons of ISO at a run) of the 80's, we have never had a dangerous occurrence. There has been the odd house explosion and fire in the news here in Canada in the past, but not the sheer magnitude we are witnessing today. Ignorance seems to abound in our industry of today!

Not to say there hasn't been a close call or two. One time back in the heady days of the 80's we were running a ISO pressure cooker reclaim still 24 hours a day, running in 3 shifts to keep production going. We were operating in a double car, cement block garage. Back then, WAY back when, we gave the graveyard shift operator a hit of White Lightening A Bomb to keep him awake. Well, I came in for my morning shift an hour early because there had been a firefight with the police SWAT team all over the area and yard and stationed around the garage in a high risk raid of a business 2 doors down. Police snipers were using the garage as cover.

When I arrived for my shift an hour early at about 7 in the morning, what did I find??? As soon as I got out of my truck all I could smell was ISO from 75' away. When I open the garage door the midnight operator was fast asleep in a lawn chair and the ISO collection vessel was overflowing and the whole garage floor was saturated with ISO. The idiot slep through the whole raid and had no clue the cops were literally right outside the door. I had to drag him out and and go into bomb squad mode and deactivate the situation.

Needless to say, we fired that operator. Live and learn or PAY!

Unfortunately now we are all being tarnished by such ignorance of today!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
http://q13fox.com/2014/03/11/hash-oil-explosion-rocks-seattle-neighborhood/

Hamilton hopes once hash oil starts to be sold in legal pot retail stores this summer, most of the homemade labs will dry up. Until then, the danger will likely continue.

“There’s thousands of videos on YouTube that will show you how to do it, but most of them don’t show you how to do it safely,” he said.

That was one of the best and most balanced stories about a home fire / explosion I've read. Funny how the media language is different in WA as compared to say FL.

Also if anyone thinks high quality concentrate will be sold in WA rec. store, I have a bridge to sell you.

Awesomely fun and crazy times this repeal of prohibition stuff.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Unfortunately now we are all being tarnished by such ignorance of today!

And also unfortunate the rapid expansion of this industry is allowing even the incompetent CLS operator or company to make an extra normal profit.

Worse still these incompetent CLS businesses and Extraction Amateurs can rightly claim a morally superior position to most if not all open blast producers.

It is hard for me to reconcile and state publicly, but I respect and value "Some" open blasters more than the VAST majority of the CLS industry participants. At the same time I ask those that I respect to add CLS to their tool box, even if they don't commit to it until it can make better product than they currently produce.

Here's hoping.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/mar/13/tim-constantine-republicans-slow-learners-ignoring/

Marijuana is the BOMB

By Kimberly Hartke February 20

Landlords, tenants and homeowners have an unexpected new worry: legalized marijuana.

Already, marijuana use is an issue for D.C. landlords under decriminalization. One owner of 350 rentals in the city is about to add a no-smoking clause to his lease. He has always advertised his properties as non-smoking. But he is getting an increasing number of complaints from tenants in his buildings about the pungent odor from dope-smoking.

The latest trend in the marijuana subculture is the smoking of “dabs” of marijuana concentrate. This highly concentrated form of marijuana is expensive but growing in popularity for recreational use. And it’s explosive — literally.

Because of the expense of buying marijuana concentrate at a dispensary or pot shop, marijuana users are following Internet instructions to manufacture the most potent, concentrated form of the drug, known as BHO (butane hash oil or butane honey oil), at home. Besides dabs, street names for the drug also include 710, wax, honey oil and shatter.

Colorado saw 32 home explosions in 2014, up from 11 in 2013, triggered by attempts to make BHO. Butane is a highly volatile solvent and a flammable gas at room temperature. When cooling, or without proper ventilation, it can easily explode with a ball of fire, blowing out windows, causing property damage and putting neighbors at risk. This is particularly of concern to multilevel housing units such as motels, condominiums and apartments.

Because a large number of D.C. residents live in multi-unit housing, we must take note.

According to an Oregon newspaper report last May, fires and explosions from BHO production sent 17 people to a Portland burn unit in 16 months. The explosions caused numerous injuries, extensive property damage and at least one death in Oregon.

A horrific BHO explosion occurred in November 2013 in Bellevue, Wash. All 10 units of an apartment building were destroyed, and residents jumped from second- and third-story windows. The explosion and fire caused $1.5 million in damage to the building and the loss of $150,000 in belongings. Seven people were hospitalized. A former town mayor, an elderly woman who lived in the building, died from a pelvic injury sustained trying to escape the fire. Several weeks before this incident, police were called to investigate suspected BHO activity. Two men suspected of making BHO denied it.

On Oct. 31, a multi-unit apartment building in Walnut Creek, Calif., went up in flames because of BHO. One explosion near Sacramento displaced 140 people. The Sacramento Bee reported that Shriners Hospitals for Children-Northern California treated 68 victims for BHO burns in a three-year period. The average child was burned on 28 percent of the body.

There is no sign the spate of explosions in these Western states will end anytime soon.

In California, law enforcement unsuccessfully tried to get marijuana concentrates banned. Once marijuana advocates get what they want, it will be very difficult to stop marijuana in any form, including the “bomb,” BHO.

The recently passed D.C. Initiative 71, which would allow personal possession, did not outlaw, fine or hold accountable amateur hash oil manufacturing in a residential setting. Retail sales of marijuana in the District would bring a rash of explosions.

Landlords, homeowners and tenants who want to protect their lives, property and fortunes need to rally against any law that will allow the commercialization of marijuana in our nation’s capital. We in the suburbs are not immune, as marijuana use will skyrocket in Virginia and Maryland if the D.C. Council legitimizes head shops, pot shops and hash oil manufacturers and growers.

The writer is a Northern Virginia landlord and blogger.

JointOperation

lol.. no it doesn't.. just shows a bunch of idiots that shouldn't be making oil in the first place..

just like my buddy .. he shouldn't of been making oil... and guess what.. he gave me all his gear lol. hes done blowing oil after that explosion.

JointOperation

thing being.. is the heat pressed is not worth the time and effort for the yield.. not to mention.. u could heat press and the bho run the material too.. but still not worth the time.. I thought we are working on ways to get the best product.. taste smell potency.. in the fastest.. safest way..

butane might not be AS SAFE.. but.. if your not a moron.. and you actually do some reading and research on butane and how explosive it is.. and how it works.. then maybe we wuldnt have so many idiots makin bho..

I FLAG every video on youtube.. that has UNSAFE practices being taught to the public.

youtube is what got atleast half the explosions to happen .

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I FLAG every video on youtube.. that has UNSAFE practices being taught to the public.

youtube is what got atleast half the explosions to happen .

Great, and NOPE: Idiots are the reason for 99.9999999% of explosions. Youtube and all others are only 00.000000001% of why the explosions happen.

"Youtube doesn't kill people, IDIOTS kill people"

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I thought we are working on ways to get the best product.. taste smell potency.. in the fastest.. safest way..

no we are not. we are trying to make the best product possible, and the complete lack of solvent used makes it a fast method to get smaller amounts. larger amount processing with heat presses will be solved in the near future.

Just wanted to let you all know, we've got idiots north of the border too!

BARRIE, Ont. - Police say an explosion and fire at a house in Barrie, Ont., appears to have been the result of a suspected drug making operation in the garage.
Barrie police say three men and a woman were taken to hospital after the explosion Friday night.
A man and woman remain in critical condition, while two men are in stable but serious condition.
Sgt. John Brooks said it's suspected the explosion was caused by marijuana resin being extracted in the garage.
Police issued a news release late Saturday saying they obtained search warrants and would be continuing their investigation, but did not elaborate.
Police say two of the injured were 37 years of age, one was 20 and the other was 24.
Investigators say there were a total of eight children and two other adults in the house. The children ranged from three weeks of 15 years.
They were all removed safely. Five children were treated for minor injuries and either released at the scene or later released from hospital. The children are now in the care of other parents or adult relatives.
The Ontario Fire Marshalls Office is involved in the investigation.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
North of the boarder is really weak on its propaganda. Your reporters need to spice things up a bit. That article didn't make me want to execute all BHO extractors, what is wrong with you Canucks?