What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

jump /injack

Veteran
a friend of mine.. just blew up lastnight.. in the hospital 50-60% of his body covered in burns.. and baddd.. his hoody and beanie were melted to his body.. and this is with a passive system.. not a CLS..

and the ignition source was a friend who showed up unannounced smoking a ciggarette.. he lost his eye lashes and has a few small burns.. but he almost killed my friend...

this is why i do not allow people to show up when they want to .. if you dont call.. dont show up or i dont deal with you ever again period. i dont like surprises..

sucks i was supposed to be there helping him. but i had my own bho to run so i didnt go..

this was done in a screened in porch type thing on his back deck about 30 feet from the house.. and his siding still has signs of melting.. even with the snow and cold..

Sorry to hear that your friend was injured and burned so badly, 50 to 60% burned , he's lucky that he's still alive. "If it can happen, it will happen eventually. Its all a roll of the dice and if you do it long enough you'll roll snake eyes." With butane you have to be 110% careful, Gray Wolfs safety tips are very important.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
a friend of mine.. just blew up lastnight.. in the hospital 50-60% of his body covered in burns.. and baddd.. his hoody and beanie were melted to his body.. and this is with a passive system.. not a CLS..

and the ignition source was a friend who showed up unannounced smoking a ciggarette.. he lost his eye lashes and has a few small burns.. but he almost killed my friend...

this is why i do not allow people to show up when they want to .. if you dont call.. dont show up or i dont deal with you ever again period. i dont like surprises..

sucks i was supposed to be there helping him. but i had my own bho to run so i didnt go..

this was done in a screened in porch type thing on his back deck about 30 feet from the house.. and his siding still has signs of melting.. even with the snow and cold..

Sorry to hear of your friends mishap! Lets see what we might learn from it.

Accidents happen because of unsafe acts. Lets look at the conditions.

Cold dry low humidity, high static electricity conditions.

Wearing plastic, non conductive clothes.

Not enough ventilation to keep the concentration of butane below the 1.8 to 8.4% ignition range.

Already an accident waiting to happen, even before inadequate preparations and safeguards to exclude unexpected jokers in the deck from arriving unannounced.

Not sure what passive system means in this case, or how that much butane was being lost. Any insights on that??

fcjohnny

Damn.. I wish your friend a speedy recovery. D

JointOperation

honestly i can say.. that besides someone showin up like a doushebag.. he was super safe.. so just becareful guys make sure no1 shows up while you are extracting..

put it this way.. he has red lights setup in the backyard. wen they are on. means stay the fuck away.. and he even has signs he puts up while blowing saying do not come into the backyard under any circumstances.. he uses fans.. doesnt allow for tons of cans to be blown at a single time... if this dude didnt show up. he wouldnt of had n isssue. and ya.. the guy feels bad, but he knew the situation with the lights.. and forgot .. and bammmm.

sucks.. but im so happy i had my own shit to do .

ontop of all that. this extraction was supposed to pay for his CLS.. to be even safer..

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Condolences, though I question his degree of ventilation, you could torch up your rig while standing behind me as I do one of my little one can to a Mason jar quick soak extractions.

jump /injack

Veteran
Before things go upside down go closed loop.

Before things go upside down go closed loop.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popu...icmag.com/ic/photo_popup.php?e=vB_Editor_001#

In the inside of a butane fireball where you will be standing maybe, the heat will suddenly rise to over 3400 degree, it will be instantanous and the reaction will try to blow your roof off, the windows out and the walls off of their mud sills. On guy looked down and his arms were on fire and another guy 20 years old and his once beautiful girl friend were burned from the waist up 3rd degree, the only thing not burned was the interior of their lungs, firemen were getting sick looking at them and fireman have seen very bad stuff before. Chump change for a closed system compared to the cost of being in a butane explosion.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/02/10/hash-hash-oil-fire-aurora-aurora-fire-department/

2 Hospitalized After Another Hash Oil Fire In Aurora
February 10, 2014 9:48 AM

AURORA, Colo. (CBS4) – Investigators in Aurora say a butane canister used to cook hash oil exploded over the weekend and injured two men.

Officials with the Aurora Fire Department say the incident, which happened on Saturday on the 4500 block of South Hannibal Street, was the latest in a string of hash oil fires in recent months.

Argentina Rubenstein lives in an apartment that is next door to the apartment where the explosion happened.

“You don’t know the sound,” she said. “(The) explosion is terrible.”

Firefighters are concerned that if there were to be another fire, Rubenstein’s apartment, which shares a roof with the apartment where the explosion happened, could be damaged.

“I think that is ugly and my neighbor, I’m sorry, needs to go to jail,” she told CBS4.

Last year CBS4 reported on other hash oil fires in Longmont, Lakewood, Breckenridge and Colorado Springs. But in Aurora, fire officials said there have been four such fires since November.

“We hope that you can be adults and handle it appropriately and if this is something that you’re doing and you’re not in a common area like this, we hope you be respectful of your neighbors and people around you,” Ashleigh Estrella said.

Butane is used to extract hash oil from marijuana and officials warn that it is an unstable, flammable substance. The oil is a pure form of THC and creates the high.

The conditions of the two men who were hurt hasn’t been released.

3rd Degree burns and property damage, blasting inside. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]https://www.icmag.com/ic/photo_popup...vB_Editor_001#[/FONT]

jump /injack

Veteran
Hush, I click on them and they show up. I must be doing something wrong, it was picture of some pretty bad burns and house that was blown up from using butane and that was just a link to the site.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2014/feb/07/pot-extraction-method-using-butane-poses-hazard/

This is a follow up about story from a few months ago who was apparently blasting in a car with his daughter in the back seat

A bomb disposal robot is used to investigate a car explosion on Aug. 4 near the Garland Avenue and Howard Street intersection that seriously injured a man and his 3-year-old daughter.
(Full-size photo)(All photos)
Fire displaces longtime resident

A low-income woman who had lived in the Center Court Apartment complex for two decades lost her home because of the Jan. 16 fire, property manager Toni Jones said. While the tenant is staying at another apartment within the complex, the five months it may take to renovate the two units destroyed in the fire will keep her out of her former home because of the expiration date on her housing voucher, Jones said.

A surge in the production of concentrated marijuana extract is thought to have caused at least three dangerous fires in Spokane County and has local, state and federal officials paying attention.

Investigators say a blaze that sent 30 firefighters to an apartment complex in north Spokane last month was likely caused by someone inside using butane in a process to leach the psychoactive element from marijuana. A similar process caused an explosion in a car traveling through the Garland neighborhood in August, burning a 3-year-old’s hands, face and legs and prompting assault and drug charges against 27-year-old Jacob Sayman.

On Monday, a kitchen fire at 523 S. University Road in Spokane Valley is thought to have been sparked by butane being used in the extraction process. That case has been forwarded to police for investigation, fire officials said.

“We know people are doing this,” Spokane Fire Department Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer said. “It’s prevalent throughout the Internet.”

Sayman told investigators he was trying to produce “honey oil,” a potent marijuana byproduct that is created by combining hydrocarbons with the plants. The resultant drug contains large proportions of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the element that produces a “high” for users.

Dried marijuana plants often contain a THC concentration of less than 5 percent, while oil extracts can sometimes contain up to four times that much, according to a report by the National Highway Safety Administration.

Scientists have not determined a definitive effect of higher THC concentrations on the brain, though it is generally accepted that the more potent the drug, the more unpredictable the body’s reaction and the greater the likelihood of addiction.

Jodie Underwood, a spokeswoman with the Drug Enforcement Administration field office in Seattle, said tests of some oils in the region have shown THC concentrations of 73 percent. Couple high potencies with the potential for explosions, and the oils become very dangerous, Underwood said.

“It is extremely concerning,” Underwood said. Her agency has not been called in on any investigations in Spokane, she said, but several high-profile explosions have occurred on the West Side as Washington continues to implement rules governing the manufacture and sale of recreational marijuana.

A blast in a Seattle neighborhood earlier in January blew a wall several feet off its foundation, according to the Seattle Times. Firefighters there think butane intended to process marijuana was stored in a freezer and seeped to the base of the refrigerator. When the compressor kicked on it provided the spark needed to ignite the gas.

Last year, investigators said similar circumstances led to a blast at a hotel near SeaWorld in San Diego that injured three people. That explosion and several other high-profile incidents led the San Diego DEA office to release its numbers of so-called “hash oil extraction laboratories” busted in 2013. Agents reported discovering at least 28 such operations in 2013, about half of which had experienced some type of fire.

Such numbers are hard to come by because of a lack of mandatory reporting by local law enforcement agencies, Underwood said. There are plans in place to establish such a system, she said. The agency expects more incidents like Spokane’s apartment fire as the state continues its legalization process.

The state Liquor Control Board, which has been writing the rules for the rollout of legal recreational marijuana, has made policies designed to limit the potential for explosions in the production of legal marijuana extracts. Products such as hash oil must be infused in other products in order to be sold in retail stores, according to the most recent proposed state regulations, and also must be clearly marked with the concentration of THC present in the resulting drug.

Licensed processors may use butane and other flammable hydrocarbons in the production of marijuana extracts, according to the board’s regulations. But they must do so using a “closed-loop” system that limits the flammable gas’s exposure to ignition sources, and production must be on a commercial scale rather than for personal use. Processing must also take place in industrial areas, away from population centers and public facilities like schools and libraries.

“The (Liquor Control Board) is aware of the dangers that can be created by improper extraction, which is why we specifically addressed it in the rules,” board spokesman Brian Smith wrote in an email.

What’s unclear from the Liquor Control Board’s rules is what criminal penalty an unlicensed person producing marijuana extract might face.

Sayman was driving when his concoction of plants, butane, a PVC pipe and a coffee filter exploded as he attempted to light a cigarette with his daughter in the back seat, according to court documents. He faces charges of assault and manufacturing a controlled substance, with a sentencing enhancement because he was within 1,000 feet of a school bus stop.

Sayman pleaded not guilty in court this week and is not in custody.

Investigators are still questioning witnesses in the January apartment fire, and criminal charges are likely, Schaeffer said. But he said the message the Fire Department wants to send is more important than potential criminal liabilities.

“People will get killed using this process,” Schaeffer said.

There are 66 comments on this story. Click here to view comments >>

Get stories like this in a free daily email

Related stories

Man pleads guilty in hash oil explosion Nov. 21, 2014 20
Police: Walla Walla “hash oil” explosion sends 2 to hospital June 10, 2014 46
Puyallup explosion linked to marijuana extract May 21, 2014 67
911 call prompts discovery of apparent drug lab May 19, 2014 23
Washington to award retail marijuana licenses in May April 3, 2014 1
Drugs, weapons seized after two drug busts Feb. 11, 2014 1
West Plains warehouse could host East Side’s first legal marijuana crops Dec. 26, 2013

Last edited:

blastfrompast

Veteran
Honestly, I think if some of these guys didn't blow themselves up blasting, they would find some other way to do it...

In a moving car...seriously...

I gained a healthy respect for butane after buddy put a tiny squirt of butane on a piece of cardboard in woodstove in the ice shack once....used a bbq lighter to get the "fire going"....FIREBALL in the woodstove from just a finger snaps (time-wise) worth of butane.....He uses an iolite vap so always has a can on him....stupid fuck..lol

chefbudz

LOL in a moving car with a 3 year old?? i feel bad that the 3 year old was present when natural selection had to take place

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
Sayman told investigators he was trying to produce “honey oil,” a potent marijuana byproduct that is created by combining hydrocarbons with the plants. The resultant drug contains large proportions of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the element that produces a “high” for users.

Dried marijuana plants often contain a THC concentration of less than 5 percent, while oil extracts can sometimes contain up to four times that much, according to a report by the National Highway Safety Administration.

G`day JIJ

Expert opinions ?
Don`t know what they are talkin about it seems .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

JointOperation

ya lets just stick to CLS.. im buying one this month.. as i cant stand the BS of open blasting.

the shit i don't understand is..when you see a photo of a site that was blown up . and there is 100000s of cans of tane.. why the fuck aren't they using a CLOSED LOOP? you got that much bud.. and that much butane.. and cant afford a ton of closed loops.. and a bunch of extra cylinders so you can have a bunch of tubes packed ready to go ..

jump /injack

Veteran
There really are Zombies walking the streets isn't there? Its bad enough putting your self in such a dangerous position but including your innocent little daughter into the fireball so that you can indulge your dangerous pleasures is disgusting. Horse whip time for people like this, its as bad as sexual child molesting, disfigured for life because of her AH father; 100 lashes would be appropriate, less wouldn't get his attention.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://calcoastnews.com/2015/02/atascadero-hash-lab-blows-toddler-home/

Atascadero hash lab blows while toddler home
February 15, 2015

hash1A 1-year-old child came away uninjured from a fire caused by a hash oil lab explosion in an Atascadero home.

The toddler is now in the custody of San Luis Obispo County Child Welfare Services, and the child’s father is in San Luis Obispo County Jail on $500,000 bail. Officers also arrested the mother, according to the Atascadero Police Department.

Police and firefighters responded to the house at 8850 El Camino Real at 10:34 p.m. Friday. They found that the residents had extinguished the fire and restricted it to the kitchen area.

Both Kevin Manhart, 34, and Danielle Manhart, 23, suffered minor burns on their arms. Officers arrested Kevin Manhart for manufacturing a controlled substance and for child endangerment.

Police just charged Danielle Manhart with child endangerment. She is no longer in custody, according the San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office website.

Atascadero police are continuing to investigate the incident.

Earlier this month, a Los Osos man suffered severe burns in a fire caused by another hash lab explosion. The burned suspect in the Los Osos case was convicted in 2010 of manufacturing oil in an incident that sparked a fire and injured an 11-year-old boy.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Police: Dangerous grow house busted in St. Johns County.

10:36 p.m. EST February 11, 2015

JOHNS COUNTY- Two people were arrested Wednesday at what deputies said was a dangerous marijuana growing operation in The Vinings subdivision in the northwest part of St. Johns County.

St. Johns County Sheriff's Commander Chuck Mulligan said the two people arrested in the home, Scott Yandell and Marsha Yandell, were part of an operation where they were growing marijuana plants inside, then cooking them down to extract "hash oil".

"Those oils just extracted become more concentrated and make it more powerful", Mulligan says.

However, Mulligan says the process of cooking the hash oil is similar to the process of cooking meth, which makes the grow house a danger to neighbors.

Police says this home is at the center of an on-going investigation started after a source tipped them off. A search warrant was served late Wednesday morning.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/crime/2015/02/11/hash-oil-operation-busted/23240617/

Attachments

• B9llF-OCUAAx7_g.jpg-large.jpg
    B9llF-OCUAAx7_g.jpg-large.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 35