What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Bho Disasters (PLEASE READ!)

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I don't think the daredevil analogy works to justify this. Daredevils usually are aware of the danger they're putting themselves in, and open-blasting in a home, or motel, or apartment, is rarely a situation where only one person could get hurt. The actions of an individual rarely just affect the individual. Even if you have one guy blasting alone in his house in the woods, if it blows up the fire department which other taxpayers or volunteers support has to come out to put it out.

I have a hard time articulating this so apologies if this seems offensive - many here in the United States born at a certain time were made to fetishize these ideas of liberty and freedom, and I don't think most people really understand what they mean. They just associate it with that feel-good "'MERICA! DON'T TREAD ON ME!" attitude. The tail is wagging the dog right now; instead of the discussion being centered on the action itself- dangerous open blasting, some of y'all want to justify it for the sake of upholding some John Locke style natural rights of an individual. We're all greatly interconnected and I don't think it's realistic to make strawman arguments about freedom when the evidence shows that the vast majority of these explosions hurt other people and cause damage to the property of others.

We are all greatly connected and interconnected, additionally the dare devil analogy works just fine for the individual rights argument.

To bring up motels and apartments is the disingenuous straw-man in the room. Those places by their nature are rented property of others.

Blowing up your own home is probably less common than burning down your own home from smoking cigs or having a kitchen fire. So your argument about the firemen needing to get paid fails.

I don't open blast and I don't sanction infringement on liberty. New rules created by the same old prohibitionists are laughable.

:joint:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://abc30.com/news/madera-butane-honey-oil-explosion-burns-4-police-say/453006/

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --
Four people are being treated for burns after an explosion in Madera.

The blast blew the wall off the side of a mobile home on Cleveland Avenue near Tulare Street Friday afternoon. Madera police say it was caused by a failed attempt to make a form of hash called butane honey oil.

The four people accused of making the drug were set on fire during the explosion. They were all taken to the hospital, but their exact conditions have not been released.

Police say explosions from this type of operation are becoming extremely common, and they're asking neighbors to report any suspicious activity.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.sunjournal.com/news/0001/11/30/wirhoneyoil122714/1635541

Bangor Daily News
Nok-Noi Ricker, Bangor Daily News

News |
Saturday, December 27, 2014

BANGOR — A slight change in Maine’s medical marijuana laws earlier this year has sparked a new trend in this sudden growth industry: the manufacture and legal sale of highly concentrated liquid marijuana, better known as “honey oil.”
Gabor Degre/Bangor Daily News

A concentrate derived from marijuana, also referred to as honey oil.

“A little dab’ll do ya, that’s for sure,” said Ryan, a Bangor medical marijuana patient, about the potent substance, which can be smoked or vaporized and inhaled. One hit of the marijuana concentrate feels equivalent to one marijuana cigarette, he said, speaking to the BDN on condition his last name not be published.

Known as “honey oil,” “hash oil,” “dabs,” “earwax” or “shatter,” among other names, homemade marijuana concentrates have caught on quickly because of the popularity and availability of e-cigarettes and vaporizer pens, which offer an easy, discreet way to use the drug.

Yet the rapid spreading of concentrates is a concern for law enforcement, as the potency of marijuana oil can be dangerous, especially for first-time users, and some ways of creating concentrates have led to deadly explosions, according to the National Drug Threat Assessment Summary 2014.

Recent explosions — i ncluding one in Rockland in November — have involved the production of cannabis concentrate with butane.

“Like (methamphetamine) labs, the production of the hash oil using this process can be extremely hazardous due to the chance of fire or explosion,” said Peter Arno, Maine Drug Enforcement Agency northern commander. “The (butane honey oil) process produces a hash oil which can have an extremely high THC content … If/when we run into one of these types of extraction labs, MDEA’s lab team will respond in a similar fashion to meth labs.”

Concern about marijuana concentrate is not limited to law enforcement.

Christopher Ruhlin, a medical marijuana patient and patient advocate who owns Herbal Tea & Tobacco in downtown Bangor, and Paul McCarrier, a former spokesman for Caregivers of Maine, said the concentrates are much stronger than leaf marijuana and new users should take note.

Patients should discuss the option with their doctors, Ruhlin said.

“Because it is more potent, there is more of a public health issue,” said McCarrier, who is now president of the Legalize Maine public action committee, which is seeking to make recreational use of marijuana legal statewide.

Law change

An amendment to the Maine Medical Use of Marijuana Act that allows the use and sale of concentrated marijuana went into effect in August.

Maine voters first approved medical marijuana in 1999, which allowed patients to grow their own supply or select a caregiver to grow it for them. In 2009, the law was expanded to include more permitted medical conditions and to allow patients to buy from eight nonprofit, government-sanctioned clinics and marijuana cultivation centers.

Maine’s medical marijuana law was amended again in 2011, eliminating the need for patients to register with the state, and again in 2013, adding post-traumatic stress disorder, inflammatory bowel disease and other illnesses to the list of conditions for which a physician may prescribe medical marijuana.

Earlier this year, physician was replaced with “medical provider” to allow nurse practitioners to prescribe the medication, and the definition of prepared marijuana was changed to include dried leaves and flowers of the marijuana plant and certain “byproducts,” such as tinctures and ointments, that don’t require “further processing.”

What this language means, said Kenneth J. Albert, director of the Division of Licensing and Regulatory Services at the Department of Health and Human Services, is that outside ingredients can be added to dried marijuana, just like for food products.

Adding ingredients to create concentrated marijuana is not authorized by the law. But, according to Albert, “cannabis may be boiled in a solvent to form a viscous liquid that may be strained and evaporated to yield an oil, or liquid cannabis. This is not considered ‘further processing’ as contemplated within the law.”

There are no general rules about concentrates, said Albert, because regulation depends entirely on how concentrates are produced. However, butane is not authorized in the production of medical marijuana products or byproducts, he said.

“Given the associated and inherent dangers in both the use and production of (butane honey oil), the department does not recognize it within the (scope) of medical marijuana law or rule,” he said.

Striking oil

There are a variety of ways to make cannabis concentrates, some without volatile solvents.

A newly formed company in the Bangor area, Taffy Factory LLC, is creating marijuana concentrates using ice and water, not solvents.

“We just started noncommercial production,” said one owner, Chris, who spoke to the BDN on the condition of only using his first name.

Taffy Factory uses an ice-and-water closed-loop extraction system to break down marijuana plants, and then uses low, steady heat to evaporate the water, which leaves behind a greenish powdery substance.

The process strips the marijuana plants of tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the ingredient that relieves pain and causes users to get high, as well as cannabichromene, or CBC; and cannabidiol, or CBD, which reduce anxiety and produce a calming effect.

Chris said he got into the business of concentrates because they are “much healthier for patients. They get their medicine in a much smaller dose — it’s one hit. They’re done.”

Remedy Compassion Center in Auburn, one of Maine’s eight nonprofit dispensaries, has purchased a $100,000 Apex carbon dioxide critical extraction machine to make concentrate they call “Honey Oil,” which has been for sale since Aug. 2.

The amber substance is made by applying pressure, low temperatures and CO2 to marijuana plants.

“It works effectively to strip the components off the plants and creates the oil,” said Remedy Compassion founder Tim Smale. “It basically drips out the other end (of the machine) and the plant matter is thrown away.”

“We have to test it so we know what level of THC, CBC and CBD there is so we have a measure of their potency,” Smale said.

Each batch will have different benefits for patients, he said. For example, “an indica-dominant strain or sativa-dominant strain will provide good pain relief,” he said. Batches high in cannabichromene and cannabidiol are good for nausea and inflammation.

Medical marijuana patients who buy from caregivers pay about $250 an ounce and about $380 an ounce from dispensaries, and concentrates cost between $25 and $50 a gram depending on potency. A typical dose of concentrate is one-tenth of a gram and is equivalent to a 1-gram marijuana cigarette.

Smale is a member of the American Herbal Products Association, a national cannabis committee that makes recommendations to regulators about cultivation, packaging and processing. The group is working on rules for manufacturing concentrates.

It appears the concentrate business could go mainstream.

“In the next six months we’ll be providing some recommendations for the commercial side for regulators,” said Smale.

Individual insurance policies that cover medical marijuana also should cover concentrates.

“Marijuana is marijuana is marijuana,” said Ruhlin, owner of the Bangor store and patient advocate.

‘Miracle compound’

The rise of concentrates comes at a time of shifting regulations around medical marijuana at the federal and state level.

Just recently, congressional leaders in Washington passed a provision — baked into an omnibus spending bill — that requires the federal government to respect state sovereignty over medical marijuana.

In Maine, however, the Department of Public Safety said it will seek a law enabling it to test marijuana users for OUI. And the state’s division of licensing said medical professionals soon will be required to certify medical pot patients using a state online registration form.

Patients and advocates hope that concentrated marijuana may resolve concerns over medicinal use of the drug.

Ben, another Bangor medical marijuana patient, said some concentrates are made with reduced mind-altering components for people “who are not looking to get high, but want the pain relief.”

“It’s a miracle compound,” Ben said.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/crime-law/hash-lab-explodes-in-stuart-dozens-displaced/njctk/

Hash lab explodes in Stuart, dozens displaced | VIDEO
10:46 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014 | Filed in: Crime

Deputy honored for rescuing three kids in fire

A lab dedicated to extracting chemicals from marijuana exploded in Stuart early Tuesday morning, according to city police.

Police received a 911 call saying that an apartment in the Villa Bella Central Park Townhouses community was on fire, according to police spokesman Brian Bossio.
STOCK police officer and tape photo
Thomas Cordy

The fire was caused by an explosion of butane hash oil, a volatile chemical extracted from marijuana.

Bossio said 35 people were evacuated and were allowed to return to their homes about five hours later. Nobody was injured.

Police are still investigating the incident, Bossio said.

Bradley_Danks

Veteran
WOW, I must say I am SOOO happy I spent the last 4 hours powering through this long and exhausing thread. This thread has changed my life.

Let me start out by saying, I am fully convinced that I will never blow errls again! Got rid of all tane blowing equipment. I can honestly say that i have Never broke the #1 rule and blew tane in my house. Heck na! When I started out blowing the stuff I learned by watching youtube videos and the ones I watch clearly stated that you could blow yourself up. Given that I was a pyro as a kid and loved to make co2 bombs and pipe bombs when I went into the desert I learned from a young age that you could blow the shit out of yourself. When I heard them on the youtube video it was instantly clear to me to not allow myself to be apart of a 3000 degree fireball.

I always blue the errls outside and never had a problem. But after reading the articles of people outside blowing up and how terrible being burned is, im done. I will take my trim to some close looped professionals. I know of some in the area. Speaking of. I am from around Portland, Oregon and a lot of those explosions happened near me!!!

I live in city about 100 miles south of Denver. About a month ago a guy burned down his house less than a mile away trying to make oil. What I find strange is that there is no mention of it in any news. Makes me wonder how many crappy neighborhoods, like this one go unreported in mainstream news. I guess poor people have been burning their houses down in drug related incidents for years now. From what I heard he didnt get any manufacturing charges, but arson and endangering children. Every week this year I have searched hash oil explosions/fires. There is almost always a new one.

I know of people who blew all the windows out of there house from blowing tane and the cops didn't even get called! Blew up their fridge too.

The same people continued to make tane indoors and get this, the tane accumulated in their coffee pot, when they put on a pot of coffee the coffee maker blew up!

I know other people who have the insides of their house torn apart from blowing tane who also didnt get the cops called. Spot burns all up and over the entire room from the paint burning off. They still live there. I recognize the burn spots on peoples skin from now on. Tane burn scars are for ever noticeable like track marks on heroin addicts.

Thanks you for this Knowledge everyone! Its a true life changer!

Bradley_Danks

Veteran
In regards to canceling this thread. Do not. What should be considered is a refinement and re-organization. Consider creating a yearly BHO Disaster thread so people can easily choose to read about disasters by year. Also, having a worst of the worst BHO disaster thread that compiles the worst incidents to date wouldn't be a bad idea.

The story of the man in Oregon who blew him and his friend up and his friend ended up dying 14 days later from the burns truly touched my heart. The guy and his friend were gonna have a good day making/blazing BHO which ended up turning into the equivalent of a war zone for them like the Normandy Landing.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2015/01/09/4069545_british-man-charged-with-manufacturing.html?rh=1

There was no fire or explosion but this is of interest to those with a closed system.

British man charged with manufacturing hash oil

By MARTHA BELLISLE

Associated PressJanuary 9, 2015 Updated 17 hours ago

SEATTLE — A British man who was running a medical marijuana operation in Puyallup faces federal charges of manufacturing hash oil.

Andre Lempriere, who was in the U.S. illegally, also was charged in federal court with illegally possessing a dozen firearms.

Lempriere was initially charged in state court in October, but federal officials moved his case to the federal system this week. Emily Langlie, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said the move was part of their initiative to crackdown on illegal hash oil production, which has caused a rash of explosions and fires. His state charges will be dismissed, she said.

But Lempriere's lawyer, Jay Berneburg, said federal prosecutors were "forum shopping." He said Lempriere's hash oil production was a "closed-loop system" and was safe. He also said it was part of his medical marijuana operation and was legal under state law.

Only one of the original six state charges would have stuck — that he was in the country illegally, if they had not moved the case, Berneburg said. The other five claimed he violated Washington's Controlled Substances Act, but his operation was legal "so on the state-side, they couldn't prosecute him," Berneburg said.

A complaint filed in U.S. District Court charges Lempriere with one count of endangering human life while manufacturing a controlled substance, maintaining a drug-involved premises, manufacturing hash oil and illegally possessing firearms.

A Drug Enforcement Administration agent said in an affidavit supporting the complaint cited concerns about numerous recent explosions during the production of hash oil, also called Butane Honey Oil, or BHO. During the process, the gas butane is used to extract the tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC — the active ingredient in marijuana.

"The result is a concentrated oily or waxy substance with very high amounts of THC, which is increasingly popular with marijuana users," the agent said. BHO can be consumed by vaporizing it or be added to food.

The Puyallup police received a tip in September about a possible hash oil operation within city limits. An investigation led them to Lempriere's businesses: Medical Releaf Organics, which was a storefront medical marijuana dispensary, and Sinful Glass Corporation.

Detectives learned that Lempriere had applied to the state Liquor Control Board in May 2014 for a license to manufacture and process marijuana, but no license was issued. Officials determined that Lempriere was instead operating a hash-oil extraction operation at the site. When an undercover agent went to his store, he was told that they make both hash oil and edibles "in house," the affidavit said.

The detective bought Dutch Masters trail mix, with 3.2 grams of marijuana; Dutch Masters Rasta Krispy, with 104 mg of THS; and a Dutch Masters gluten-free fudge brownie, with 3.2 grams of marijuana. They obtained a search warrant and found $8,500 in cash, a dozen firearms ranging from pistols to rifles and an extraction lab setup. He was arrested on Oct. 29 and remains in custody.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
But Lempriere's lawyer, Jay Berneburg, said federal prosecutors were "forum shopping." He said Lempriere's hash oil production was a "closed-loop system" and was safe. He also said it was part of his medical marijuana operation and was legal under state law.

Only one of the original six state charges would have stuck — that he was in the country illegally, if they had not moved the case, Berneburg said. The other five claimed he violated Washington's Controlled Substances Act, but his operation was legal "so on the state-side, they couldn't prosecute him," Berneburg said.

Ouch!!!! State legal and being fucked with...

Get those guns AWAY from your operation.

Anyone else notice that NO Americans had their cases taken FEDERAL?

Lucky me I was born in the land of the unfree, unjust, and inequitable.

:joint:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://gazette.com/editorial-city-council-should-ban-home-hash-oil-extraction/article/1544318

EDITORIAL: City Council should ban home hash oil extraction

The Gazette editorial • Published: January 9, 2015 • 12

City Fire Marshall Brett Lacey doesn't want more needless structure fires, so he plans to propose an ordinance that will ban extraction of marijuana hashish oil in residences. The City Council should assist him and expedite the process. Other jurisdictions should work with their fire officials to do the same, making it a high order of business.
Photo -

Hashish, a sludgy black psychoactive marijuana byproduct, is typically extracted in a process that involves a gas torch.

State and local law enforcement and fire officials say amateur home extraction is causing residential fires all over Colorado, as the solvent that forms the hash oil glop sometimes explodes.

"We know of 26 explosions caused by this in the last year," said outgoing Colorado Attorney General John Suthers, a Colorado Springs mayoral candidate, in a conversation with The Gazette.

Suthers' agency filed a brief supporting a criminal case against Eugene Christensen, a Mesa County resident charged with arson, reckless endangerment and manufacture of marijuana concentrate for a fire he is believed to have started while making hashish.

Suthers, in his role as attorney general, argues state law forbids residential hash oil extraction. His detractors claim Colorado Amendment 64, which legalized recreational marijuana sales and use, also legalized extraction of hash oil.

Final determination of whether voters intended to protect residential hash oil production will be ironed out in the courts. Regardless, it's hard to argue that any federal or state constitutional provision, regardless of wording and comma placement, protects nonessential activities that result in a high rate of structure fires.

"One could argue a right to extract it, but not by any means that jeopardizes the public health, safety and welfare of the neighborhood," Suthers said. "The whole stated purpose of Amendment 64 
is the safe regulation of marijuana use. This is obviously not safe, and I think the courts will go along with us on that."

Lacey appreciates Suthers' interpretation of state law but said a local ordinance is also needed to protect the community in the event state law fails to do so.

"I have full intentions of proceeding because what I care about is the risk of people blowing up themselves, their kids and their neighbors," Lacey told The Gazette. "We have had too many residential fires related to hash oil."

City records do not specify how many fires have been caused by the process, but even one would be too many.

Lacey's proposal is common sense. Even some of the state's most ardent supporters of legalized pot want to see a stop to the hash fires. Christian Sederberg, one of Amendment 64's authors, told the Denver Post he understands the concern and agrees home hash oil extraction should be stopped.

Coloradans voted themselves the right to produce, buy, sell and consume marijuana. That is not the primary issue with Lacey and Suthers. Their concern is one of an obvious threat to the community's health, safety and welfare. All rights are subject to reasonable restrictions, especially when lives are at stake. The City Council should quickly try to reduce this needless public safety menace by working with Lacey and passing a common-sense law.

snake11

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2015/01/09/4069545_british-man-charged-with-manufacturing.html?rh=1

This is so fucked!!! The Feds are not allowed to spend time/money on state legal cannabis business so the local/state bust him with insufficient charges and then bump it up to the Feds. Just happened with rain city in Seattle. The local cops busted him on an "anonymous" tip. It came out months later that the anonymous tip was made by the DEA.

jump /injack

Veteran
This is so fucked!!! The Feds are not allowed to spend time/money on state legal cannabis business so the local/state bust him with insufficient charges and then bump it up to the Feds. Just happened with rain city in Seattle. The local cops busted him on an "anonymous" tip. It came out months later that the anonymous tip was made by the DEA.

The US Congress just passed new legislation [as a rider in 2014 omnibus bill,(cromnibus) it's section 538 that relates to mj.] that forbids the Federal Government to prosecute cannabis laws that States had deemed legal, such as Washington's cannabis laws. Hope this helps the guy out, this is so wrong in so many ways and now with this "Operation Choke Point" which closes banks to those that have medical stores and other politically incorrect but legal business borders on a Stasi type government. The only charge that was viable was the illegal immigration charge and this with a regime that is letting in 20 million illegals from Mexico.

Last edited:

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2015/01/16/black-hawk-explosion/21866133/

Black Hawk man wanted for hash-oil explosion

BLACK HAWK - A warrant has been issued for a Black Hawk man in connection with an explosion and fire in Gilpin County.
Leland Charles Baker, 60, is accused of manufacturing hash oil in his home causing an explosion and fire.
One of his dogs died in the incident.
The fire happened on Nov. 30, 2014 at 412 Chalet Dr. in Black Hawk.
According to court records, the house was found fully engulfed when firefighters arrived.
Baker escaped from the house through a window with the help of a neighbor and passer-by. He was taken to a Denver hospital with burns on his hands.
Investigators with the CBI found evidence of a marijuana cultivation operation and cans of butane at the home.
The DA has filed charges accusing Baker of processing or manufacturing marijuana or marijuana concentrate, arson, possession of a controlled substance and cruelty to animals.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://abc30.com/news/madera-butane-honey-oil-explosion-burns-4-police-say/453006/

MADERA COUNTY
Madera butane honey oil explosion burns 4, police say

FRESNO, Calif. (KFSN) --
Four people are being treated for burns after an explosion in Madera.

The blast blew the wall off the side of a mobile home on Cleveland Avenue near Tulare Street Friday afternoon. Madera police say it was caused by a failed attempt to make a form of hash called butane honey oil.

The four people accused of making the drug were set on fire during the explosion. They were all taken to the hospital, but their exact conditions have not been released.

Police say explosions from this type of operation are becoming extremely common, and they're asking neighbors to report any suspicious activity.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/18/us/odd-byproduct-of-legal-marijuana-homes-blow-up.html?_r=0

Odd Byproduct of Legal Marijuana: Homes That Blow Up

By JACK HEALYJAN. 17, 2015
Photo
A building in Mount Vernon, Wash., damaged after an explosion caused by butane hash-oil extraction in 2013. Credit Nick Gonzales/The Skagit Valley Herald, via Associated Press
Continue reading the main story Share This Page

DENVER — When Colorado legalized marijuana two years ago, nobody was quite ready for the problem of exploding houses.

But that is exactly what firefighters, courts and lawmakers across the state are confronting these days: amateur marijuana alchemists who are turning their kitchens and basements into “Breaking Bad”-style laboratories, using flammable chemicals to extract potent drops of a marijuana concentrate commonly called hash oil, and sometimes accidentally blowing up their homes and lighting themselves on fire in the process.
Continue reading the main story
Related Coverage

At the Farmacy in Boulder, Colo., medical marijuana is sold in a boutiquelike atmosphere. State law lets sellers profit as much as they can, as long as they stay within a labyrinth of rules.
In Colorado, Pot-Selling Pioneers Try to Turn a ProfitJUNE 26, 2010
Colorado AG: Home Hash Oil Production Is IllegalDEC. 30, 2014
Marijuana Laws Eased in Colorado and WashingtonNOV. 7, 2012
Edibles in the medical side of LoDo Wellness Center in Denver. Marijuana-infused snacks have become a booming business.
Snacks Laced With Marijuana Raise ConcernsJAN. 31, 2014
Legally High at a Colorado CampusOCT. 29, 2014

The trend is not limited to Colorado — officials from Florida to Illinois to California have reported similar problems — but the blasts are creating a special headache for lawmakers and courts here, the state at the center of legal marijuana. Even as cities try to clamp down on homemade hash oil and lawmakers consider outlawing it, some enthusiasts argue for their right to make it safely without butane, and criminal defense lawyers say the practice can no longer be considered a crime under the 2012 constitutional amendment that made marijuana legal to grow, smoke, process and sell.

Its a long piece, go to the URL for the complete article.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://www.wptv.com/news/region-mar...e-lab-explosion-in-stuart-displaces-35-people

2 arrested in Stuart drug lab explosion
Jason Davis

STUART, Fla. - Stuart police say 21-year-old Anna Rae Kellogg and 31-year-old Daniel Paul Vranich have been arrested for their involvement in the Butane Hash Oil lab fire that occurred Tuesday.

The pair turned themselves in to police one day after the explosion.

After being questioned by police, both were arrested.

Kellogg is charged with manufacturing of narcotics, drug trafficking, 2 counts of abuse/neglect of a child, and failure to report a dangerous fire. She is held on a $35,250 bond.

Vranich was charged with manufacturing of narcotics, drug trafficking, 2 counts of abuse/neglect of a child, and failure to report a dangerous fire. He is held on a $55,000 bond.

The drug lab explosion occurred at the Villa Bella Central Park Townhouses, located at 45 SE Sedona Circle, around 4 o'clock Tuesday morning, according to Stuart police.

35 residents were displaced due to the accident.

A butane hash oil lab exploded inside apartment 103 when someone was trying to extract THC from marijuana, said police.

Police said butane hash oil is made by using butane, which is highly volatile, to extract the oils from cannabis.

The Red Cross assisted residents during the evacuation. Residents were able to return to their homes by 8:15 a.m.

No one was hurt and no other apartments were damaged.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/12/30/colorado-ag-home-hash-oil-production-is-illegal/

Local
Colorado AG: Home Hash Oil Production Is Illegal
December 30, 2014 4:46 PM
View Comments
Hash Oil Extractor (credit: CBS)

Hash Oil Extractor (credit: CBS)
Related Tags:
Amendment 64, Denver's City Council, Eugene Christenson, Hash Oil, Hash Oil Explosions, John Suthers, Mason Tvert, Mesa County, Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area

DENVER (AP) – Marijuana may be legal in Colorado, but extracting the drug’s high-potency oil at home is not, the state’s attorney general said Tuesday, fueling a debate about how to punish hash-oil producers who have caused a rise in fiery explosions this year.

John Suthers said the dangerous process of creating marijuana’s intoxicating oil in crude, home-based laboratories is not covered under the measure known as Amendment 64, which was approved by voters in 2012 and allows recreational marijuana for adults over 21.

“Colorado is experiencing a real public safety issue as a result of unsafe and unlicensed manufacturing and production,” Suthers said in a statement. Hash oil is typically made by packing the castoff leaves and stems of pot plants into a pipe and pouring highly flammable butane through it. The concoction is heated to make the potent oil for far cheaper than it can be bought in stores.

Devotees say one or two drops of the golden mixture can produce a more euphoric high than an entire joint, and it can be baked into food or vaporized. But without proper ventilation, butane fumes can linger. Just a spark of static electricity can ignite a room.

Suthers said the state’s pot law allows for “reasonable and safe use of marijuana, so to decriminalize dangerous and unreasonable behavior in which people are getting hurt and houses are blowing up defies the intent of the voters.”

He filed a court brief in response to a western Colorado man’s contention that Mesa County prosecutors improperly charged him with crimes for manufacturing hash oil after an explosion injured him and damaged his home. An attorney for Eugene Christenson argued in a court filing that hash oil production is legal under a portion of the new law allowing the processing of marijuana plants. Court records show Christenson was also charged with arson and reckless endangerment.

But Suthers’ said hash oil extraction is an exception.

Colorado marijuana businesses are allowed to manufacture hash oil using butane, but with strict rules. Home cooks, however, often use their own, legally grown plants to affordably make hash oil in their kitchens or garages.

As a result, the state saw a rise in explosions, mostly on private property.

As of Tuesday, firefighters had already responded to at least 32 butane hash oil explosions, nearly three times the number reported throughout all of 2013, according to the Rocky Mountain high intensity drug trafficking Area, which recently started tallying cases. At least 30 people have been injured in the blasts.

Yet law enforcement officials have grappled with how to respond, given the questionable legality of the process. Some prosecutors have been charging individual hash-oil creators with felonies, while others have not pursued criminal charges at all.

Mason Tvert, the pro-marijuana activist who helped push legalization in Colorado, said Tuesday he would not oppose reasonable restrictions to keep people safe and that the law should allow localities to put them in place. Denver’s City Council in November passed new rules restricting hash oil production.

Related Stories [These are other stories but you have to go to the active URL's on the original page above.]

Black Hawk Man Charged In Hash Oil Explosion That Destroyed Home, Killed Dog
Pot And Public Safety Topic Of Colorado Chiefs Meeting
Colorado Lawmaker, Drug Investigators Consider Hash Oil Problem
Colorado AG: Home Hash Oil Production Is Illegal
Butane Hash Making Causes Home Explosion In Fort Collins
Authorities Say Man Making Hash Oil Caused Black Hawk Home Explosion
Pot Caregiver Convicted In Hash Oil Explosion Case

- By Sadie Gurman, AP Writer

jump /injack

Veteran
21 fires and explosions since December 28th, 2014 till today, January 18th, 2015. All of these fires and explosions have been in someone's home where other people live or live around. People have been killed and burned badly, 2nd and 3rd degree burns are very common in this type of explosion where the fire ball of butane reaches over 3000+ degree's and is enough to melt steel say's Gray Wolf whose expertise in safety is beyond doubt. There has been no explosions or fires with a closed system to my knowledge, please consider getting this system for any extractions and never do this inside where butane can pool. A closed system for butane extraction can cost less than $2000 which is 1/3 of the cost of one day in a burn ward which you will be in for weeks or months before you are adjudicated and sent to prison where you'll work for less than .20 cents per hour for a few years. Gray Wolf has a "sticky" on butane safety, it was an area of his expertise before retirement, read the "sticky" written by the Guru of extraction, follow the safety rules. Seriously consider letting others with more experience and proper equipment do your extractions for you, its cheap when you consider what the ramifications and consequences might be. Do not do this inside your house or apartment.

Lefthand

hash-oil-extractor.jpg

Lefthand

I noticed the one Denver CBS news story showed a pic of a closed loop and another one showed a pic of open blasting on a similar story. I hope they inform people that their are safe options for BHO extracting.
Maybe they can run a story about the differences in open blasting and closed loop extraction.

I can definitely see why someone, pro herb or not, would want some regulation after all these stories. These bhotards are detrimental to the cannabis movement.

Latest posts

Latest posts