What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Australian and New Zealander Smoker's Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

rod58

I'm in the mountains of the Sth East and am ringed with fires. Nice and calm, but If the wind come up................. Used to be that we'd get a hot build up and then a wet and wild thunderstorrn. Now it just gets hotter and hotter but no rain.

the no rain bit mick is what i hate .
i've always lived in dry arid areas and quite frankly i'm over it ! i want to go where it rains and rains and my water tank is always full ! but , in saying that , i don't want what the far north qld boys have been getting .
coppers have been closing roads around here and evacuating the area as much as they can . i'm staying and defending my shit ! :biggrin:

Mick

Veteran
i've always lived in dry arid areas and quite frankly i'm over it ! i want to go where it rains and rains and my water tank is always full ! but , in saying that , i don't want what the far north qld boys have been getting .
coppers have been closing roads around here and evacuating the area as much as they can . i'm staying and defending my shit ! :biggrin:

Kudos for staying. I stayed the last time fires came through here and it turned out to be a fun experience, as just about everyone else left and I virtually had the place to myself. It's a quite little village. The fire's didn't come through btw, but Kinglake and Marysville got flattened. Rudd gave everyone who left $1,000, which was a sweet deal. They had a caravan down the park writing out cheques, so I joined the line and got mine too, as I figured I deserved it more than the ones who ran. Going to putting in a couple of big water tanks this winter. Luck with the fires mate.

Last edited:

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
not sure id like southern summers anymore ,
im so used to rain during that time of year ,

where i live its not too bad , no jungle too close ,
that stuff grows where the rain goes ,, lol ...

rod58

i sort of envy you guys a bit wal but i spent a lot of my twenties up there , north west of cairns , and i was young and could adapt a lot easier than now .
if only they had proper , good beer then , i would have stayed .
XXXX , fosters and NT lager .. all warm !
we'd throw a carton in the palmer river about lunch time and by six that evening it would be one degree cooler than daytime temps ..lol

T

Teddybrae

When we went over your way two years ago there was a big blaze burning on the Nullarbor side of Norseman but toward the coast. It was huge! And it's happening again now around your way.
I can only think: Poor Fellow my Country!!!

Pumpkin

Veteran
Does anybody know what causes this. The plant is yellowing top down almost, but only on that particular branch. I assume the branch is lost, but I actually noticed a few yellow leaves high up on some other plants which got me worried. It's like the water can't reach the top. The bottoms are fine and hardly yellowing.

IMG_20190304_162420.jpg IMG_20190304_162445.jpg

I've lost branches for mysterious reasons before. And I would not have worried if I did not spot a couple of yellow leaves high up on other plants.

Pumpkin

Veteran
If it was dehydration I would assume it would be bottom up, also stem rot would mostly start at lower nodes. It's not at a junction, so I'm a bit confused. It's also not sunburn as the symptoms seem different.

Pumpkin

Veteran
It doesn't look like the stem is broken in anyway that I can see. I don't mind losing a branch, as long as it isn't something symptomatic that could affect the crop.

rod58

it looks like a bad case of yellowitis pumpkin !

no idea really . its a bit hard to know looking from here . it seems that just the big sun leaves affected . maybe a foliar feed ?

rod58

When we went over your way two years ago there was a big blaze burning on the Nullarbor side of Norseman but toward the coast. It was huge! And it's happening again now around your way.
I can only think: Poor Fellow my Country!!!

fires to the left of me ,
fires to the right ,
leave it much longer ,
and it'll burn all night !

its australia !

Pumpkin

Veteran
We had a fire less than 1km from my grow and abode a few months back. Was small and put out quickly thank god. Best of luck man!

Pumpkin

Veteran
I got another plant I had some weird fungus on a lower node. This black bubbly stuff. I'm going to lose the lower branch for sure, and maybe the plant. I smothered the effected area with fungaside. Will hit it again tomorrow. But I don't think this is the same at all. I do not see any damage, and it would be a weird spot for fungus as there is no wound for it to infect. I also went in and sprayed all my stems with fungaside after that also. But this looks way different anyway. I'll take some photos of the other fucked up plant tomorrow as well. But it just faded, and went consistently slightly more pale green. It was different anyway. This one is just fans, not an overall fade, it that makes sense

Pumpkin

Veteran
Out of curiosity what is the average rainfall for you all this month? I'll get about 65mm if all goes to averages. If I want to do unirrigated I'd have to choose spots very carefully. I think it would be just possible given the right location. I'm thinking about giving it a bash.

Pumpkin

Veteran
Also made a new batch of moonshine today, so that might be why I'm talking so much. Any other moonshiners out there?

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Out of curiosity what is the average rainfall for you all this month? I'll get about 65mm if all goes to averages. If I want to do unirrigated I'd have to choose spots very carefully. I think it would be just possible given the right location. I'm thinking about giving it a bash.
January we got between 600 mm and a metre ,
closer to the metre ,
feb was less harsh , and i hope march is reasonably dry ..

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
I try not to have many flowers that time of year ,
though i did suffer some casualties ,
the rain was just a bit too much .
sometimes theres nothing you can do pumpkin ...

when it was at its worst , i already had put a plan b into action ,
ie green house ,
and figured id best do a plan c a few later plants also ....

Pumpkin

Veteran
When do you decide to use, or not use your greenhouse? I'm worried it's more humid in mine than the rainfall, but the last place I grew I had less than 30mm of rain this month. So any water scares the shit out of me. I got some budrot even there, but probably just because of the white moths chewing shit off at the stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts