What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Are American and Canadian growers biased against Dutch breeders and seedbanks?

love?

Holland is a tiny country measured by land area. They are trying to supply huge worldwide demand of an agricultural (land intensive) product. Do the math...

I think they're doing an ok job but the rest of us need to step our game up and help them out a bit.

E

elmanito

Holland is a little bit bigger than Vancouver Island, but with 16 million people instead of the 700.000 its a bit crowdy especially at the coastal area.

The Seedbank from Neville was a nice seedbank with great varieties, but that changed when Sensi took it over.The old varieties they are all gone which is in my eyes a big loss.

I have respect for the Danish which keep till even at this moment the old genetics and the Dutch ruined it by crossing it with Skunk, White Widow or Haze.Today a lot of varieties are all related to each other.

Namaste :plant grow: :canabis:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Ppl are exactly honest about where they get their shit LOL

Ppl are exactly honest about where they get their shit LOL

I can't say honestly that I know where Van gets it's really top bud no one from the underground ever really tells anyone else LOL LOL LOL.. No one sits around talking about where it came from lol lol.. I do know there is talk about who does what and it's short and sweet.
Not sure if Van stays away from everyone we might as I do know our bud is very strong lol lol. The clubs don't have the stronge bud either and it not in seed it's in clone only and it's extremely dank. You can put it in two baggies and tupperware and still smell it and that is few and far between:dance013:. When you try to roll it it's so sticky you can't get it off your scizzors lol.. Very good shit lol.. That dank scares growers as it brings too many ppl around and stone lasts for 4 hours. my fav ..Another guy in an earlier thread said the Canadians like to grow the same bud Nah the Canadians like to grow the strongest whatever bud that might be.. Not so much hung up on the names if it's PK and it's super dank then so be it..Let it be PK clone this month lol.. peace out Headband707:)

Growbrass

Well they in fact also claim cannabis origins are Africa and all cannabis was once sativa but as the worlds plates separated forming continents and evaluation took over creating also indicas but i was not there or were you so who is right ?.

Since i logged into the online community all i see is cali does it better i am so tired and sick of people claiming there cannabis is better than other peoples cannabis or we do it better its like a dick swinging competition the evaluation of indoor growing and methods of growing has allowed people in all country's to grow any type of strain they like were before they were limited by there weather to what they could grow the genetics alone governs whether you have good cannabis or shit cannabis not the nationality the person growing it or the area it is grown in.

Agreed, I just thought you were knocking North America because Cannabis didn't originate here (apparently). But like you said... "I wasn't there" haha, Cannabis sure as hell landed on North America many moons before I was here!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for all the responses - most seem to hold quite a balanced viewpoint.

the reason i asked the question was that i continually see snipes at the dutch seed industry in other threads and i wanted to ask the question outright to see what people had to say about it.

for me (im from UK) holland will always be special as it was pretty amazing visiting the place - as i have been for 20 years or so - and being able to buy weed and seeds.

VG

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I love the Dutch whats not to love LOL

I love the Dutch whats not to love LOL

Whats not to love most of them love to grow they are great ppl and they are fairly liberal lol.. most lol..there will always be the few assholes but hey thats with everyone right lol.. Yeah the Dutch are great lol Canadians love the Dutch peace out Headband707:tiphat:

PS in "Band of Brothers" the show, they show the USA freeing the Dutch it was actully the Canadians the freed the Dutch from Hitler LOL LOL LOL :dance013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTQJiuFwvo

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
in many ways the USA and Cannada is about 10 years ahead of the UK,,,,,,its allways been that way,,,,,,recreational cannabis is very different to medical cannabis,,,1 of the best "medical" seedbanks in the world is in holland,,,,HortaPharm BV

recreational cannabis breeders in holland dont seem to know what they are doing,,but then again not many people DO,,,,,,,,,

like T2U said,,,there is alot of bunk out there

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There were hybrids in the USA before the scene kicked-off in Holland,,

Q. How did the Haze Brothers cross Haze,, or Sam cross Skunk,, without first creating F1 hybrids (didn't it all start along the lines of Colombian x Acapulco Gold)?

MJ is the largest cash crop in California,, counting all the melons and oranges,, dope plants grow wild in Nebraska,, grow fruity in Hawaii,, and in Alaska they've had it dialled for years! Not counting all the other places (shout out to Detroit sides).

Our cousins overseas have good reason to be biased in these matters.. cause dem Mexican cats reinvented it!

Peace n flowers ppl

tribe

"What about UK breeders and UK seed banks on UK forums (like this one)?"
Those smart alecky british, always starting trouble.

How is that starting trouble?? If you are from the US then that must of been said with a kilo of irony?? :moon:

A very interesting thread here with some interesting points and a good balanced debate. In my view, surely it doesn't matter where in the world the seedbanks are situated. Due to the recent past and current sad state of the world and its attitude towards this great plant I'm sure the location of the seedbank has nothing to do with the people who were born in such place, but more to do with the fact of where people from all over are able to do the breeding there. As the worlds eye's open up, more and more countries will be opening up seedbanks. Personally I think we should be rating individual seedbanks by their quality, not by the country in which they reside. We are all people of the earth, screw countries, they mean nothing but where you were born by CHANCE. If I am ever lucky enough to run a seedbank I'd be pretty pissed if it's reputation was judged merely on the country it was in rather than the quality of its seeds. Someone should start a poll on the best seedbanks from all over... peace, tribe.

P.s. Has anyone tried croppi canna seeds? They sound good, though expensive, I wonder if its over-priced hype or genuinely good quality seeds, anyone tried them first hand??

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Breeders and seedbanks are often forced to move locations in order to continue as breeders and seedbanks. California,, Holland,, Switzerland,, Spain,, the genetic base of stock often remains the same... with each breeder or seed co. :D

Kootenay

Iam biased against buying bulk feminized seeds from spain (knock off dutch genetics) and then re naming them to start a new seedbank. Buyer beware of new seedbanks that dont breed. Research the company before investing money into seeds.

Peace
Koot.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Many of those "Spanish" feminized seed companies are still managed by "Dutch" breeders

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
loads and loads of people are buying them spanish knock off`s,,,,its scary

all credit to the 1`s who still do it themself, this knockoff probblem is harrendass

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
You can only work with what you have or what your give!

You can only work with what you have or what your give!

If your brought shit then that is what you have to work with right??? Not sure why ppl are blaming the Dutch for the seeds that the US and the everyone else is giving them?? lol lol.. Remember that ppl are judging the Dutch genetics by their coffee shops and that would not be fair . It would be like judging Van's bud by the compassion clubs bud and that bud really sucks!!! If you came here bought that bud you too would be saying Van's bud sucks!!
Just think about how many growers you know then think about how many of them are actually outstanding and you will get your answer lol lol.. It's few and far between lol it's the same with bud. peace out Headband707:dance013:

ElRubio

Veteran
Iam biased against buying bulk feminized seeds from spain (knock off dutch genetics) and then re naming them to start a new seedbank. Buyer beware of new seedbanks that dont breed. Research the company before investing money into seeds.

Peace
Koot.

+1000

GREAT Koot, totally agree...:thank you:
Excepting CBG, ACE & a few more...
Those pirates guys sucks! i know what im talking bout...We have here two or three new "seedbanks" every week intoxicating with stupid names for the same crosses...what a pity!!

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree 100% with the last posters :)
problem is that things are getting worse...turn over a stone and you´ll find a new seedbank and a new breeder out of the blue...
lame..very lame :(

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We see it like dogs,, (where the inheritance of pedigree lines is most important)

a (dog) breeder is a person that breeds and maintains their own line (of dogs) from the initial base of another breeder(s) genetic line(s) (of dogs) that they bought. The breeder that selects a female and breeds (or studs) it to a dog then owns the lineage (pups).

In the dog breeding world the breeder/owner of the stud dog is given first pick (of the litter) or the sale price of that specimen (pup) in cash. This helps settle any disputes over the ownership of a blood-line when more than one breeder is involved.

In the cannabis breeding world the owner of a seed pack (genetic line) might ask grace to breed with another breeders stock,, or they may just buy them at the sale price (at which point they then own the genetics) and breed with them without grace.

When we bought a packet of Jack Herer,,, many many moons back,, we then 'owned' the right to use the genetic line in any botanical sense we saw fit (grow, clone, breed) ,, since thankfully Sensi Seeds aren't Monsanto... they just own the name the genetics are marketed under,, not the seed genetics.

Using another breeders 'name' to market another strain and sell it,, or a rip-off (F2) of the same line,, well that's another issue completely.

Just 2 stalks to think about :D

All round interesting stuff ppl .. :yes: peace n love

Norkali

i find many dutch varieties dont fit the breeders description the way that i would expect. it seems that dutch selection of plants drifts towards something sweet and fruity. my idea of skunk is way different than that !!

This is exactly why I avoid European breeders in general.

Latest posts

Latest posts