What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

African Strains

doams

If you are looking for the real Durban I'd reccommend trying something like this:
https://www.stainly.io/en/listings/386680-82-durban-poison-heirloom-rosenthal-line

The original Durban Poison got wiped out from Durban though. I've been going to Durban annually since around 2002 and never been able to find the real deal in Durban today.

Rumour has it Durban Poison got wiped out as a result of fighting between the ANC political party (which Mandela was affiliated with ) and the IFP party. Both political parties were growing and smuggling cannabis during apartheid to fund their political parties.

I can't tell you too much about African weed in general, but perhaps more about Southern African weed that would be weed from: Mozambique, Swaziland, Lesotho, South Africa and Transkei in South Africa. Weed from this area is very cerebral and purely sativa. Most of these kind of strains in my opinion have low THC, but high amounts of other cannabinoids possibly or perhaps strange terepenes. Most African weed can make you really really paranoid if you aren't used to smoking it.

Some of my true favourites from Southern Africa is the true Swazi gold which is actually hard to find these days and Rooibaard. Malawi Gold is also truly a beautiful strain.

interesting too bad its nothing in durban these days was even going google street view looking for some plants around streets in the area did not found anything :laughing:

gonna try all the african sativas then I will know if there is something else similar in effect but still durban is the only strain that do it for me

so far tried congo its strong and wild like the jungle in there in effect it gets me that wild danger jungle type of magic animalistic/dramatic feeling high but its too strong/serious:biggrin: to vape all day long..

I'm not sure if Landraces are still around in the sense of if you go far into the mountains in Africa that you will see Ganja growing naturally. There are still growers in rural africa that grow landraces in their grow ops. I can't help you confirm if something is a landrace, but if you wanna see if something has Europe influenced modern day genetics then just see if it is a pure sativa or not. Most of the European Genetics that get brought to Africa are from Indica's or Sativa/Indica Hybrids.

Most of Africa that I know of has only Pure Sativas, with the exception of Morroco I think they might have some Indica landraces,but then again those could have come from India/Pakistan.

Here are some pics of Pure sativas that I've sourced seeds from:

picture.php

This one had a strong smell and very small not so dense buds
This is a sativa from Swaziland that was grown out in the hood in South Africa:

picture.php

The one below is supposed to be a pure Sativa from Swaziland too, very beautiful plant and I actually smoked some of the bud, had a nice energetic buzz:
picture.php
Here is another pic:
picture.php

Hope you enjoy the pics.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm not sure if Landraces are still around in the sense of if you go far into the mountains in Africa that you will see Ganja growing naturally.

What you're describing is feral cannabis, landrace cannabis is something different. To take it straight from the dictionary a landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted,[1][2][3] traditional variety[4] of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.[1] Landraces are generally distinguished from cultivars, and from breeds in the standardized sense, although the term landrace breed is sometimes used as distinguished from the term standardized breed when referring to cattle.

From what you're describing there's still a lot of landrace genetics in your part of Africa, the southern part. The original Moroccan landrace is almost gone now, replaced by more potent higher yielding hybrids.

The plants in your pictures look like African landrace to me, lovely. You're right about the local landrace genetics being comparatively low in THC, high in other cannabinoids. I'm sure there's quite a bit of Afghan genetics from Europe entering the region, they get watered down by all the thousands of local landrace males so after a few generations they're indistinguishable from the local strains. Unless the grower purposely pollinates with his best males every year and keeps the strain fresh it's always going to revert to more of a landrace form.

Too bad about losing the Durban from the area, that was a great strain. I know there's people that still have it but not in the way it was in the past. I think poor breeding practices played a big role, like I described above. Unless you select the best males with the 'Durban smell and look' eventually it gets watered down and disappears. You need thousands and thousands of true Durban plants grown every year to maintain the strain.

Looks like you're relatively new here, glad to see someone with first hand experience who has access to real African strains. One thing I'm curious about, what month do your African plants mature in? I know in South Africa there's strains that finish early but there's also strains that will finish later, in May or even June. I wonder about that because in my part of the world, the Northern Hemisphere, May and June equal November and December. Much too cold and wet.

What you're describing is feral cannabis, landrace cannabis is something different. To take it straight from the dictionary a landrace is a domesticated, locally adapted,[1][2][3] traditional variety[4] of a species of animal or plant that has developed over time, through adaptation to its natural and cultural environment of agriculture and pastoralism, and due to isolation from other populations of the species.[1] Landraces are generally distinguished from cultivars, and from breeds in the standardized sense, although the term landrace breed is sometimes used as distinguished from the term standardized breed when referring to cattle.

From what you're describing there's still a lot of landrace genetics in your part of Africa, the southern part. The original Moroccan landrace is almost gone now, replaced by more potent higher yielding hybrids.

The plants in your pictures look like African landrace to me, lovely. You're right about the local landrace genetics being comparatively low in THC, high in other cannabinoids. I'm sure there's quite a bit of Afghan genetics from Europe entering the region, they get watered down by all the thousands of local landrace males so after a few generations they're indistinguishable from the local strains. Unless the grower purposely pollinates with his best males every year and keeps the strain fresh it's always going to revert to more of a landrace form.

Too bad about losing the Durban from the area, that was a great strain. I know there's people that still have it but not in the way it was in the past. I think poor breeding practices played a big role, like I described above. Unless you select the best males with the 'Durban smell and look' eventually it gets watered down and disappears. You need thousands and thousands of true Durban plants grown every year to maintain the strain.

Looks like you're relatively new here, glad to see someone with first hand experience who has access to real African strains. One thing I'm curious about, what month do your African plants mature in? I know in South Africa there's strains that finish early but there's also strains that will finish later, in May or even June. I wonder about that because in my part of the world, the Northern Hemisphere, May and June equal November and December. Much too cold and wet.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looks like you're relatively new here, glad to see someone with first hand experience who has access to real African strains. One thing I'm curious about, what month do your African plants mature in? I know in South Africa there's strains that finish early but there's also strains that will finish later, in May or even June. I wonder about that because in my part of the world, the Northern Hemisphere, May and June equal November and December. Much too cold and wet."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I guess it depends when they start flowering. This year my african sativas that took the longest were finished by middle April. That being said the season started a bit earlier last year in Summer than normal. But yes african sativas can sometimes take weeks and weeks going past 12-14 weeks of flowering sometimes to finish flowering. The weather is nice here though, you can grow outside right through the year even in winter as long as the plants are strong enough.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Looks like you're relatively new here, glad to see someone with first hand experience who has access to real African strains. One thing I'm curious about, what month do your African plants mature in? I know in South Africa there's strains that finish early but there's also strains that will finish later, in May or even June. I wonder about that because in my part of the world, the Northern Hemisphere, May and June equal November and December. Much too cold and wet."[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I guess it depends when they start flowering. This year my african sativas that took the longest were finished by middle April. That being said the season started a bit earlier last year in Summer than normal. But yes african sativas can sometimes take weeks and weeks going past 12-14 weeks of flowering sometimes to finish flowering. The weather is nice here though, you can grow outside right through the year even in winter as long as the plants are strong enough.
[/FONT]

troutman

Seed Whore
One step further is the practice of allowing the kid/lamb/goat (starved for a few days) to consume the ripened colas. The material goes through the digestive tract quickly and is defecated almost intact. It is then dried and smoked. It is reported that this product results in the most psychoactive of experiences...and is therefore reserved for consumption by revered elders, spiritual shamans and tribal dignitaries.

If you use a large black dog it creates Labrador buds. :laughing:

Sundog

https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=506485&stc=1&d=1569476744 https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=506486&stc=1&d=1569476744 https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=506487&stc=1&d=1569476744 https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=506488&stc=1&d=1569476744 https://www.icmag.com/ic/attachment.php?attachmentid=506489&stc=1&d=1569476744

Attachments

• IMG_3087.jpg
    IMG_3087.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3098.jpg
    IMG_3098.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3101.jpg
    IMG_3101.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 18

Sundog

Sorry for the mumbo jumbo still trying to figure out how to post pics... any way those are some pics of my Mozambiquen poison from Malberry Seeds. I have never seen any grows online of their strains. the first 2 pics are MP#1 just starting to flower the others are MP#6 female in veg.

Tangwena

Veteran
Please keep us updated on their progress I grew one plant from a free seed it was a fantastic beautiful looking plant.

Sundog

Will do Tengwena, I'm going to inbreed them some as well as make crosses. Their definitely beautiful plants. Been smoking tops from all 6 that I have to test potency and man I'm impressed with the high off of just leafs/tops. Going to keep them around for awhile for sure.

Tangwena

Veteran
Will do Tengwena, I'm going to inbreed them some as well as make crosses. Their definitely beautiful plants. Been smoking tops from all 6 that I have to test potency and man I'm impressed with the high off of just leafs/tops. Going to keep them around for awhile for sure.
Make sure you make some pure seeds man they are getting rare as hens teeth.
Hybrids are a yawn to me keep them pure and true you will not regret it.
Those genetics have history behind them Arab slavers ect once you cross them they are just another one of many.

Sundog

Yes Im definitely going to make a pure IBL with them I have two females and four males. There's two males that stand out the other two are just so so growth habit and potency wise. After smoking tops/leaf of the four males multiple times I can really get a solid idea of which ones are the more potent males.

Sundog

Mozambiquen poison 3weeks into flower:

Attachments

• IMG_3157.jpg
    IMG_3157.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 34
  • Star Dawg IX (3 shorter plants)
Flowering - Week 2
    Star Dawg IX (3 shorter plants) Flowering - Week 2
    130 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 24

Tangwena

Veteran
Awesome plants they look authentic your going to get some big fat greasy buds lovely job man how are the aromas i remember the one I grew had a very unique smell.

Sundog

Thanks Tangwena, as for the aroma they are very unique I can't really put my finger on it. kind of earthy with a weird funk. One remains me of chopped lettuce on a hamburger..lol

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks Tangwena, as for the aroma they are very unique I can't really put my finger on it. kind of earthy with a weird funk. One remains me of chopped lettuce on a hamburger..lol
Further along into flower they will get a sexy aroma that carries on into the cure.
I crossed my lone female with a Malawi male.

I want to try them now you have re kindled my interest in them. Those pics of yours are exactly what it looked like very stunning plant and def unique.

Sundog

You should grow them out and post them here, was the Malawi from Malberry seeds too or a different company? Also what was the effects from the Mozambiquen poisons like, if you recall?

Latest posts

Latest posts