What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

African Strains

oldbootz

Veteran
I think there still is the Durban landrace sativa around. As with all plants its genome will be changing season by season. But it is still narrow leaf and it still makes the same shaped buds. The anise smell is there but not very strong, more lemon citrus in there now.

The bud is known in the zulu rural community and there are hot spots where this is the only thing they grow (this helps with cross pollination). The quality of this stuff is not great when you buy it. Slightly better than smoking hay. But this is because these people have no clue how to grow it properly. Harvest early is all they know. In the bag the stems are so thin you can hardly make them out. The buds are so wispy and mashed together it just looks like one fuzzy mess. The seeds are the typical tiny badly colored (white grey) seeds that I got in the past.

No doubt this line has been butchered and possibly bred into ditch weed. My friend and I are trying some plants out and we will know soon enough I guess.

I will update you guys once we have a harvest to sample.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nico Farmer

Authentic Strains Farm
I think there still is the Durban landrace sativa around. As with all plants its genome will be changing season by season. But it is still narrow leaf and it still makes the same shaped buds. The anise smell is there but not very strong, more lemon citrus in there now.

The bud is known in the zulu rural community and there are hot spots where this is the only thing they grow (this helps with cross pollination). The quality of this stuff is not great when you buy it. Slightly better than smoking hay. But this is because these people have no clue how to grow it properly. Harvest early is all they know. In the bag the stems are so thin you can hardly make them out. The buds are so wispy and mashed together it just looks like one fuzzy mess. The seeds are the typical tiny badly colored (white grey) seeds that I got in the past.

No doubt this line has been butchered and possibly bred into ditch weed. My friend and I are trying some plants out and we will know soon enough I guess.

I will update you guys once we have a harvest to sample.

View Image
View Image
View Image

Beautiful, have you any pics with fowers?

My Durban

picture.php

Big up

oldbootz

Veteran
That batch hasn't been flowered yet.

The last time I grew Durban bag seed a few years ago we got this:
picture.php

The seeds we are trying now are from a different source.

OregonBorn

That batch hasn't been flowered yet.

The last time I grew Durban bag seed a few years ago we got this:

The seeds we are trying now are from a different source.

That looks like some Durban my brother grew from a batch of supposed Durban seeds from South Afrika. Small plants, really early flowers. Good high though.

I got a cut last week of some Durban "A" that Mel Franks is said to have worked here in the states. Larger and more vigorous. A polyploid? It has already doubled in size in only a week.

Reading about Durban Poison is a real mish mash of information, and variable stories about local strains in South Afrika, and later American and Holland breeding. The more I read about it the more I think it was a long term land race in South Afrika dating back as far as 1500 or so, and not imported from Thailand more recently, as some say.

herbgreen

Veteran
Durban has just got that uniqueness thats the anise star and just unique high of all time

Its Intense yet use it enough and is it really there at all? Like it just enhanced me

OregonBorn

Durban has just got that uniqueness thats the anise star and just unique high of all time

Its Intense yet use it enough and is it really there at all? Like it just enhanced me

Yes, Durban is elusive and uplifting. The THCV in it gives it a delayed effect and it ramps up slowly. I always want to smoke more right away, and catch myself. Its like swimming after eating, 'no Durban until 20 minutes after Durban.' Too much Durban and you enter another dimension. Not a bad thing, its just that there is a saturation point. Also (due to the THCV?) I cannot smoke it after 8pm, or it keeps me up late. No rush to it like Cinex, no panic attacks, no body stone or couch lock. It lifts me up and alters my perspective. Mentally enhanced, as you say. Not as kluttered a high at White Widow (which is also good, but not as clear a high). Green Crack does not even come close.

Problem is that I keep running out of it. So I am growing 2 Durban gals this year. And a male to pop some seeds for insurance.

herbgreen

Veteran
yeah i remember making myself stay awake just to enjoy the high

Or was it keeping me up? either way best in the afternoon or something

African strains have high thcv levels its another level of unique medicinal properties

oldbootz

Veteran
That looks like some Durban my brother grew from a batch of supposed Durban seeds from South Afrika. Small plants, really early flowers. Good high though.

I got a cut last week of some Durban "A" that Mel Franks is said to have worked here in the states. Larger and more vigorous. A polyploid? It has already doubled in size in only a week.

Reading about Durban Poison is a real mish mash of information, and variable stories about local strains in South Afrika, and later American and Holland breeding. The more I read about it the more I think it was a long term land race in South Afrika dating back as far as 1500 or so, and not imported from Thailand more recently, as some say.

Wow I didnt know these were still around!

Polyploid in cannabis is detrimental to growth and makes a distinct U or I shaped terminal bud. Probably not this.
fuRMW.jpg

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran

Polyploid in cannabis is detrimental to growth and makes a distinct U or I shaped terminal bud. Probably not this.
View Image
That's simply fasciation and has nothing to do with polyploidy ;) .
Fasciation can be genetic or simply caused by stress or injury.

OregonBorn

Holy shirt! Is that a cross with a Venus Fly Trap? That looks like one crazy mutation there. Or sport.

I am digging up some older heirlooms now that Cali is going from medical to rec. Also in Oregon some people are dumping rare strains 'cause of the new laws taking effect that limit the number of clones to 12 per OMMP card. Its a mixed bag though, as some of these strains are not what they are claimed to be. Like anything else I guess... tall tales, memory loss, misplaced labels, washed out genetics, or just too stoned.

48N

someone ordered from seeds of africa recently? how was the process?
have you seen the new durban poison warrior king edition?