What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

African Strains

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
interesting tv program the other nite about the '2' owners of greenhouse seed and how they went to the congo, took a boat slightly larger then a canoe for 2 full days , n hiked 3days to a field that they felt had been untouched.. ie a pure landrace... the local villagers' were not happy with these '2' white dudes taking seeds... further along in the program they had gone back to Europe, but one of em...I think his name was franco, returned to the congo, contracted malaria, n kicked the bucket... not sure how much of it is fact, but pretty cool... supposedly they grew out some of the seeds, n they registered the highest THCV that they have seen...

Bob Green

interesting tv program the other nite about the '2' owners of greenhouse seed and how they went to the congo, took a boat slightly larger then a canoe for 2 full days , n hiked 3days to a field that they felt had been untouched.. ie a pure landrace... the local villagers' were not happy with these '2' white dudes taking seeds... further along in the program they had gone back to Europe, but one of em...I think his name was franco, returned to the congo, contracted malaria, n kicked the bucket... not sure how much of it is fact, but pretty cool... supposedly they grew out some of the seeds, n they registered the highest THCV that they have seen...

https://youtu.be/nXD044dOpKA

Congo episode s05e04

:tiphat:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi.

Beautiful Congolese NLD's!!!

I hope they didn't spread there their bright color painted superfancy over hyped bastardized polyhybrids there, as they do everywhere they go.

ahortator

Veteran
"The most important thing is that we chose the best plants in Congo. And so, from that mix of genes, we mixed them together and made a F1 inbred. And then, from that F1 inbred you reproduce the landrace."

Excuse me, all my respect for a deceased person. But that is not I understand as a landrace/heirloom. If that quote is right I am a complete ignorant about plant genetics.

Bob Green

GHS is all about the $$$, greed, and run by opportunist.

They have zero intention on ever sharing the landrace seeds they have collected unless you are a multi billion dollar corporation looking to buy stock for billions of dollars. They have yet to release a single seed from any of their expeditions. Nothing from Caribbean, nothing from Columbia, nothing from India, nothing from Africa just noting but videos of themselves exploiting the planet for a quick buck.

Really sad the way they treated those people in Africa and all over the world. In this short documentary they showed their true colors.

Hopefully they change their ways but I just don't see that happening.

They are the literal definition of the word sellouts.

Those people in the Congo were yelling the Devils are here to steal from us. They wanted to chop those guys up with machetes but the paid gunmen saved their asses.

ahortator

Veteran
Greed is Nº1 enemy of Marijuana.

I hope Congolese people keep their seeds untouched jealously.

What it is important is that they don't allow to contaminate their weed with foreing polyhybrids. So it never mind if companies carry some seed out the region to mess up with them in Europe, if they don't leave their unstable hybrids where landraces still exist.

Zitz

Greed is Nº1 enemy of Marijuana.

I hope Congolese people keep their seeds untouched jealously.

What it is important is that they don't allow to contaminate their weed with foreing polyhybrids. So it never mind if companies carry some seed out the region to mess up with them in Europe, if they don't leave their unstable hybrids where landraces still exist.

Agreed, also the main use of marijuana in Congo is as a stimulant, which was mentioned in the video, what would happen if the growers switched to couchlock indica/hybrids...

DjKinetics

https://daggadissident.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/paterson_ma_tr10-57.pdf

Interesting Paper if you haven't seen it. Excerpt about DP \/

Durban Poison had a reputation as a potent strain of cannabis from the mid-1970s. However,
according to two cannabis traders interviewed, this was not the case a decade earlier. The
traders both referred to ‘DP’ as a form of packaging of cannabis, not as a unique cannabis
plant. One trader kept referring to ‘Durban Pencils’. Another said: “they were pencils. They
were wrapped in pencils…and we called them pencils because they were pretty much the
same size and thickness of a pencil.” This same trader only began selling after his
connections extended to Swaziland, because with Durban Poison “you didn’t see what you
were getting ‘cause it was all wrapped in brown paper, in sticks.” Over the course of the
early-1970s, these ‘pencils’ gradually got shorter and thinner, until your average ‘pencil’ was
about a third of the length and a third of the thickness of an actual pencil (the price of a
‘pencil’, however, apparently remained constant). And it was around this time, 1974 or
1975, that ‘DP’ – ‘Durban Pencils’ – became ‘Durban Poison’.

So, it seems that ‘Durban Poison’ existed as a term in South Africa prior to its use in Europe,
despite some arguments to the contrary. Perhaps the European idea that Durban Poison was a
landrace, similar to Thai or Mexican cannabis, led to the adoption of this understanding in
South Africa. According to one smuggler in the early 1990s, the Dutch ‘coffee shops’ (legal
cannabis sale and consumption houses) would “go crazy for this Durban Poison. I kept telling
them it wasn’t all that, but they had it in their heads that this Durban Poison was the shit to
get.”
It is interesting that many ‘seed banks’ in the Netherlands sell seeds under the name
‘Durban Poison’, and all of these strains are crossbred with
stronger Dutch strains.

It is very difficult to speculate on the chain of events that led to the emergence of Durban
Poison. Whatever the reasons for its fame, it is certain that it does not exist as a specific kind
of cannabis in southern Africa. Furthermore, it is certain that Natal does not produce a large
amount of cannabis relative to its surrounding regions. However, one trader mentioned that,
for a time, Natalian cannabis was very distinctive and of a high quality. This trader claimed
that this cannabis, grown in Zululand, was eliminated by South African Narcotics Bureau
operations there during the period in which it was led by Basie Smit. Another trader
mentioned that he had purchased cannabis grown in Zululand in the mid-1980s.

‘Ant’, Interview with Author, 11 April 2009
There are many examples of this. Durban Poison as a variety is marketed by the Dutch Passion Seed
Company, Amsterdam (who deny hybridising their Durban Poison, though it clearly has been, perhaps prior to
the seed bank receiving this genetic line), and Nirvana Cannabis Seeds, Amsterdam, amongst others.

‘Pete’, Interview with Author, 12 July 2008, corroborated by R.Asta. Bensusan mentions massive seizures in
Zululand (in the region of 300 tons, compared to 15 tons in the Transkei) in 1971. (Bensusan, Drug Exposure
(1971), p. 43) This seems to lend credence to the idea that a large amount of cannabis was cultivated in
Zululand before being largely eliminated.
seems that there is cannabis grown in Natal, its cultivation is not nearly as extensive as that of
Swaziland, the former Transkei and Lesotho.

There were alot of those " Dp sticks " around in the early 2000s, round about the size of a match stick, no way of knowing what was inside dealers just called anything in sticks dp sticks to sell em.

yaxu

Veteran
Uzbeka LMN x (Deep Chunk x [Purple uzbeka / mongolia x Mr. nice] ) x male Ethiopian highland.

Hybrid of Indian manifolds crossed with male dominant ethiopian highland.Cultivated by a good friend

znk1th.jpg

1e4aya.jpg

ULMW

Ethiopian

Ethiopian

Ethiopian indoors week 7

Attachments

• ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 7 FLOWERING.jpg
    ETHIOPIAN INDOORS WK 7 FLOWERING.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 20

Tangwena

Veteran
Nice job on the Ethiopean thats a lovely example of African grass my friend please post pics when you harvest her its going to awesome.
Tangwena

ULMW

Tangwena, Thank you for your kind words and mighty knowledge that you share on this sight. I used to do cobbs with Ethiopian during my 7 years there. Now am thinking to at least do one cobb with her harvest ! Please visit my photo albums for more pictures from her.

Latest posts

Latest posts