What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Advancing Eco Agriculture, Product Science

jidoka

Stephen Botkin-Soil-20160802-77955 (1).jpg

jidoka

Fuck not being able to edit.

Anyways my version of Coot is not a success. How in the world does tcec go from 9 to 20something based on amendments? Obviously I have CaSiO2 that has not broken down yet playing hell with my tcec.

The light mix is just a lark for my own amusement. Oddly enough it used more water up front and now is using the same as a clay mix.

My KQ mix is 50% clay, 25% peat and 25% basalt. It is by far my best soil for both growth and quality. And it lacks Ca.

this is one of those experiments that instead of pointing to what you thought points an entirely different direction and just makes you go wtf. I don't know what I think right now

My guess is these light mixes just don't tell you much from a Logan Lab test.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only mix that has barely enough potassium is the one KQ one.

Can't grow anything with no potassium.

The base distribution calculated by Logan are TEC (total exchange capacitiy) not CEC (Cation Exchange Capacity), which is not a demonstrated nor proven science and should NOT have the distribution of bases made this way. Lousy lab.

jidoka

The big issue is the weight of soils. All of these labs base the entire test on volume, not weight. I figured because that volume thing was used for both tcec and base saturations were based on the same error and are proportional I could get away with it. That may not be the case. I may have to take that weight error into account like Humphrey Davy said.

I also wonder what the Melich III is measuring for tcec...I am guessing there are minerals that have not broken down yet and are contributing to the cec thing.

For example, if tcec were reported as 9 instead of 20 something would the K still be short or 9 is it actually a higher % of the real cec if that makes any sense. In other words do I need a new lab or do I just need an AA8.2 along with the other stuff.

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take the exact same samples and send them to Spectrum so you can see what the differences are. Ask for [email protected], Melich 3, Al, Na and nitrogens. Tell the lab to post the samples to my account so we can get the indexed numbers for Mn and Cu. You arrange payment directly to the lab.

When you see a real lab at work, you will be scratching your head asking why everyone uses Logan...

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of these calcium numbers are way over stated due to the amount of seashells from the seashore... haha

This is a real common problem it seems as you all mix so much stuff in there and then come to the conclusion that calcium is the problem.

Did you read the golf course article whose page I posted?

jidoka

No sea shells or carbonate in this mix

What does "index"mean?

I did not save the sample but I can go same pot. I will try to get it sent this week

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
spectrumanalytic is the page you are looking for. I have no financial ties to this lab and hope not to get thrown off this page for recommending a lab....

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have them test the material as a soil with the same procedures to see what the real contribution of the material. Don't ask for nitrogens though. Waste of money for the material sample.

jidoka

This thread is a reommendation for aea. Getting whacked for a lab recommend would be stupid

I see. I don't expect much contribution from basalt. I hate perlite and this shit is $25 per yard, far less than pumice. But yea, you are right, might as well find out

jidoka

Milkyjoe, where'd ya go?

Come on home now ya hear.

So I didn't want to say but I have been milky's partner in crime since we was young uns. How to say this...that fucker took a job with Monsanto. He has gone weird since he technically died last winter...fuckin pussy, it shouldn't have got him.

Anyways, he says Monsanto is gonna own this business in 3 yrs anyways and he wanted to "get ahead of the curve". Our dream has been to open a weed pub for a few yrs. I still think we could, high end strains sold in a high end environment.

But no, he says death did not scare him but he lies. We have both had close encounters before, hell I am missing an entire month from 2007...but that is bullshit, something is wrong with that boy.

He has some other friends on here that will verfify that if they want to. The world is upside down but I aint giving up on my dream.

orechron

So I didn't want to say but I have been milky's partner in crime since we was young uns. How to say this...that fucker took a job with Monsanto. He has gone weird since he technically died last winter...fuckin pussy, it shouldn't have got him.

Anyways, he says Monsanto is gonna own this business in 3 yrs anyways and he wanted to "get ahead of the curve". Our dream has been to open a weed pub for a few yrs. I still think we could, high end strains sold in a high end environment.

But no, he says death did not scare him but he lies. We have both had close encounters before, hell I am missing an entire month from 2007...but that is bullshit, something is wrong with that boy.

He has some other friends on here that will verfify that if they want to. The world is upside down but I aint giving up on my dream.

That is the last thing I expected to hear. He said a month ago that he was thinking of doing something different after this season but I wouldn't have thought he's sell his soul. That sucks.

He did stop talking to me all of a sudden which was weird. Tell him to to email me please.