What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Advancing Eco Agriculture, Product Science

orechron

Xmo, I'm puzzled by that test. It shows Ca, Mg, K, and Na saturations collectively at 100%, yet there is no H+ and the pH is 6.2? Was gypsum used in this soil?

Slownickle, you use Spectrum, can you explain this?

Sulfate in the range hasn't caused me any trouble that I can tell. I remember having over 1000 ppm's for a while from gypsum applications and the plants loved it.

Avenger

Veteran
I'm puzzled by that test. It shows Ca, Mg, K, and Na saturations collectively at 100%, yet there is no H+ and the pH is 6.2?

because the buffer pH is 7.0

C.E.C. = (lb K ÷ 780) + (lb Mg ÷ 240) + (lb Ca ÷ 400) + [12 × (7 - BpH)]*

* If buffer pH is 7.0 or greater, use a 0 value as the remainder...Example: (7.0 - 7.1) = 0

Buffer pH (BpH) This is a value that is generated in the laboratory, it is not an existing feature of the soil. Laboratories perform this test in order to develop lime recommendations, and it actually has no other practical value.

In basic terms, the BpH is the resulting sample pH after the laboratory has added a liming material. In this test, the laboratory adds a chemical mixture called a buffering solution. This solution functions like extremely fast-acting lime. Each soil sample receives the same amount of buffering solution; therefore the resulting pH is different for each sample. To determine a lime recommendation, the laboratory looks at the difference between the original soil pH and the ending pH after the buffering solution has reacted with the soil. If the difference between the two pH measurements is large, it means that the soil pH is easily changed, and a low rate of lime will suffice. If the soil pH changes only a little after the buffering solution has reacted, it means that the soil pH is difficult to change and a larger lime addition is needed to reach the desired pH for the crop.

The reasons that a soil may require differing amounts of lime to change the soil pH relates to the soil CEC and the "reserve" acidity that is contained by the soil. Soil acidity is controlled by the amount of hydrogen (H+) and aluminum (Al+++) that is either contained in, or generated by the soil and soil components. Soils with a high CEC have a greater capacity to contain or generate these sources of acidity. Therefore, at a given soil pH, a soil with a higher CEC (thus a lower buffer pH) will normally require more lime to reach a given target pH than a soil with a lower CEC.

EastBayGrower

Veteran
ugh, so after 3 failed FedEx ground attempts and over a month of waiting i finally got the rest of my order... AEA used FedEx OVERNIGHT and both the Seastim and Rejuvinate both exploded in transit but AEA double bagged and threw some towels in ther box to soa up leakage, i recieved prop 3/5 of a gallon of Rejuvinate (the rejuv bottle actually cracked on the side from the pressure and has an open leak 2/3 way down the bottle) and 3/4 SeaStim, better than nothing but not what i would call professional service by any stretch of the imagination..

so final tally out of 7 products, 3 came bloated like a football and leaking or completely exploded.. HoloCal, SeaStim, and Rejuvinate, just an fyi if you want these products order WELL in advance (i received all of my order over 45 days after purchase), kinda bit me in the ass this season, woulda been nice to get the nutes when i ordered them instead of mid way through the season, but i suppose thats my fault..

I water atleast 600 gallons a week so these nutes go fast, i already need to reorder a few and most likely will but i do hope they improve on shipping...

I;m digging the Photomag and SeaShield alot though :) this whole calcium based line used to improve plant health in balanced soil is right up my alley.. and after listening to the talks on the first post, you can definitely see that Dan and John are really knowledgeable and i for one always follow the adage of "standing on the shoulders of giants" to achieve success.. (ie. coots mix, soil balancing threads, using proven outdoor growth methods from Tomhill/butte/ect..) i feel alot more confident in my nutes being effective then having the company be owned by some hydro store owner who just decided to jump in the nute game cause of all the $$$ to be made... can say forsure John isnt solely motivated by $$$ but you can tell he's got some serious love for growing, which i respect..

i wonder if we could "activate" the rejuvinate like people do EM-1 in order to make some more on the cheap, the concept of activating em-1 to make EM-A is by using the stock em-1 and putting it at 1/10 dose in a gallon of water with molasses, you ferment and it multiplies the microbes, providing a cost effective means, there's definitely some fermentation already going on, just a thought.... but if its just a microbial feed stock then i guess there's no microbes to multiply...

Last edited:

EastBayGrower

Veteran
After such a late start I am not going to try to buy all the individual bottles. What do you guys recommend I get more of or add to the order from AEA. Tainio I am going to order separately since Im on the West Coast. Im going to do 40 plants in 1 yard each of some Fire OG or Boss OG from dark heart. I want to veg for another week or 2 after I transplant.
And a middle finger to who ever laughs about my late start, You dont know what ive gone thru to get to this position and retain it. literally up hill battles (no snow thankfully;) ), figurative up hill battles, Just a ton of bull shit. Im glad to have a plant and a place to put it. Thank you all.

Edit: has anyone used leafzyme from tainio? same as other products or something useful to us?

I would prob. add Photomag at 5 gal. as well as pepzyme, and maybe bump the rejuvinate up to 5 gal.

the seacrop is good stuff too but it can be left out if your hurting on $ atm or something...

Last edited:

FoothillFarming

G, guess I wasn't the only one............Time and time again.

I am getting to the point where I might need more. Not sure if I am going to say F- AEA, or just buy the 55gal or larger containers. Not sure if that would just equal a giant mess, or my guess is they ship larger amounts much more carefully. Us pot heads are getting the 1 and 2.5 gallon time bombs. Then when we call and complain they are all like, "wow, that's the first time that ever happened....."

jidoka

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0021 (1).jpg

plantingplants

Lol so I was reading through the big plants thread and almost two years ago around page 994 they're talking about how AEA is fixing the exploding bottle problem with vented caps now LOL: https://www.icmag.com/www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6443452&postcount=9955

So if 99% of N uptake is through mass flow, doesn't lots (not too much) of water mean lots of N hitting roots? How fast is N available from insoluble N? Ie how often should you move the N towards roots with irrigation? Is that a valid way to look at it?

Last edited:
J

Johnny Redthumb

I just watered (almost) a whole gallon of rejuvenate that I was picking up off the ground because the bottle exploded less than a day after delivery. I've also had a bottle of Photomag explode on the shelf. I wasn't there, my workers were, they thought it was a bottle of oil because of how black it was. I came in to a pile of flour on the floor, LOL. I've also gotten a bottle of SeaStim exploding in the box in my mailbox.

jidoka

Johnny...did the rejuv have that little black rubber valve in the cap?

I think the only way they solve it is to ship the structured water separately but I do not expect that to happen anytime soon.

Anyways Accelerate is less likely to explode than Rejuvenate and it is the shit...stim, shield, Mn and rejuv all in one bottle. Fantastic soil builder, root grower, cytokinin dominance...it may be all you need except I will always have some individual micros laying around for what I see but I am moving to the occasional Accelerate and really not much else...some Zn.

And I am still jealous of those long ass beds. they are gonna kill for you.

J

Johnny Redthumb

No special cap. Accelerate is kicking ass but also needs to be burped regularly, but no explosions yet. I'm still playing catchup with Mg and K, and Cu and Zn on a lower level in the coot mix. The clay mix rules, fuck everything else! :thank you:

Waiting on my next loganlab results and thinking of how I can manage to get a skid steer and a big soil mixer...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21

EastBayGrower

Veteran
just a warning to the Cali folks.. this is after 3 failed fedex ground attemps, even Overnighting the bottles leaked...

Here's the rejuvinate that exploded half way down the bottle, here's the split...

and the seastim (looking like a football) with the rejuv..

So they have the courtesy of wrapping your bottles in a nice plastic bag

knowing full well they're just mailing out fancy microbial bombs

Someday...the bottles will make it...

...Someday

reppin2c

Veteran
EBG you should poke that sea stim with a stick lol jk.

I ordered 5 gallons of accelerate and so did my buddy 20 miles away. The Fed ex warehouse in farmington is the furthest they made it. It's a really hot watehouse. It's bad enough I order heavy shit anyways, now I'm ordering russian roulette packages. Those poor fuckers. So after a month or so of waiting I ordered some roots buddha bloom and sea weed extract of some sort. Amazon should have it here within 3 days. Gotta do something cuz my P numbers where low.

Foothill farmer is just happy ad a pig in shit right now.

Anyways I replanted my first hoop..

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Looking good, im going through this stuff quickly, I better reorder now since it can.be such a dilemma getting it shipped, it seems like a pin hole in the totip of the bottle before it ships would stop the exploding bottles, but I would hipe they thought of that already lol

I started with 1ml of each suppliment and have now bumped it up to about 5ml per with no ill side effects, plants definitely responded to 3ml+, when I was feeding less the indoor plants started to yellow

The outdoor plants still get less than 3ml once a week, wish I could do the weekly feed of an ounce per gallon but that would be alot of nutes...

Im sure 90% of success is from the soil though, these are just extras... Remember that

Latest posts

Latest posts