What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

A new Guerilla growing method.?

The Revolution

Veteran
I felt the same after reading darklrds post. I thought he was trying to make a joke out of the rumor or to add more rumor to what was already stated and trying to make fun of the fact. Thing iz noone really knows whT happened so lets just leaveit at that. We can speculate but we dont know. Lets just pray for his family and that old silverback may rest in peace. Im willing to bet hes still planting and tending to his field of dreams.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
So how secure do you guys feel in our refined techniques? I'm not going to lie, I feel rather confident that with a tiny bit of luck that we'll have more success planting outdoors than we bargained for; and that scares the shit out of me.

sprinkl

Veteran
What i do is cut the top of the bottle into a crown/zig zag shape,and put a strip of slug tape around each one works a treat. Only thing is fox cubs love playing with bottles! I lost half a doz plants due to playfull fox cubs this season.
:respect:

If you cut small triangles slugs and snails shouldn't even cross it as it's too sharp, quite a work though.

I will try this cut-off bottle technique next year, seems solid. Heats the soil more during the day, soil looses less heat at night and offers some protection against wildlife. Also makes sense as Idiit noted that plants that don't get transplanted do a lot better.

idiit

Veteran
So how secure do you guys feel in our refined techniques? I'm not going to lie, I feel rather confident that with a tiny bit of luck that we'll have more success planting outdoors than we bargained for; and that scares the shit out of me.

^ kinda appropriate comment. my plants were all huge; 2-3# yielders. they were grown in fertile soil and no transplanting on the seedlings. i also planted a few clones of late flowering sativas that did very well here as well. the patch not only got busted, it nearly got me busted. the poo poo had this garden under surveillance for weeks. usually they come in and pull out everything by the roots early september. they left the cheese in the mousetrap. i really do think they wanted the grower on this one.

not one plant prematurely flowered when grown straight from seed. i put in barely germinated seeds with 1-2" root tails aprox. 4/15. the domes get pretty hot starting in may so early is good. i can't transplant any established plant except the very latest flowering sativas until late may.

i'm going big time with this technique next season. i will also have some transplants ready for later if the 'epic fail' manifests.

i'll post dried bud shots but due to security concerns i won't be as willing to post pics of grows 'cause i'm in an area that devotes a lot of time and energy to od grow busts.

what's so brilliant bout this technique is that i can get quite a few plants into any area now. try lugging in well established transplants into guerilla grows. :)

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Instead of using plastic bottles as greenhouses, what do people think about using saran wrap around three stakes? This way you have a larger greenhouse, can angle it like a tee-pee too.

One would just have to make sure they double-wrap to get proper insulation (maybe even more) and would have make sure the bottom of the wrap is buried.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't see why not.. I have made all sorts of mini greenhouses for the seedlings..my fav is still them walls of water tho...need to find a way to diy em cheaply

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I don't see why not.. I have made all sorts of mini greenhouses for the seedlings..my fav is still them walls of water tho...need to find a way to diy em cheaply

What about just buying a shit ton of water bottles, arranging them in a circle around where the plant is going, and simply wrapping them in saran wrap? Quick and easy, buy the water bottles, set em up in a circle and wrap. This way you still get the water as an insulator and the saran wrap not only keeps them together, but also fills in the little gaps between the bottles to prevent heat from escaping.

Yay or nay?

idiit

Veteran
i don't like it. you asked.

keep it real simple logistically. if you can do this effectively and easily then it is a go. i'm not seeing it in my minds eye yet, so that's why for now i'm 'nay'.

you also have to have a container in the ground to protect the plants.

my kiss plan is one container below ground, 1 container (clear) above ground. tie the bottom container into the ground and the top clear container (breathing holes drilled) pinned into the bottom container. few seedlings in each bottom container.

slope to drain, diatomaceous earth, logs sealing the perimeter of the mini greenhouses.

relatively secure from bugs and critters. have extra back up mini green house area in case primary area gets dug up by possums, etc. have indoor transplants ready for typical late may-middle june transplanting in case april mini green house idea does not work out.

The Revolution

Veteran
i don't like it. you asked.

keep it real simple logistically. if you can do this effectively and easily then it is a go. i'm not seeing it in my minds eye yet, so that's why for now i'm 'nay'.

you also have to have a container in the ground to protect the plants.

my kiss plan is one container below ground, 1 container (clear) above ground. tie the bottom container into the ground and the top clear container (breathing holes drilled) pinned into the bottom container. few seedlings in each bottom container.

slope to drain, diatomaceous earth, logs sealing the perimeter of the mini greenhouses.

relatively secure from bugs and critters. have extra back up mini green house area in case primary area gets dug up by possums, etc. have indoor transplants ready for typical late may-middle june transplanting in case april mini green house idea does not work out.

Instead of logs to secure the area, I would recommend Chicken wire. Carry in a roll or two. Unwrap a nice diameter area, use stakes or sticks to hold the circumference, than dig down ~6" into the earth, burying the bottom of the chicken wire. secure with metal pins or sticks at an angle. This prevents deer, and wildlife from disturbing your cup greenhouses, and prevents digging rodents from going under the fence.
Ive been using this method since 2012 with excellent results. First round of 2012 seedlings I had just a chicken wire fence. Lost about 200 of the first round seedlings to burrowing critters. There's nothing more frustrating than returning to your garden and seeing all of your prized seeds dug up and a bunch of solo cups flipped over and spilled out.. Second round I decided to bury the bottom 6" of the chicken wire, and backed it up with a second fence. Had no issues after that. I was able to fill the entire inside with solo cups, 200-300 seedlings. Once theyre established and show sex I plant into the ground or into DIY smart pots. Males all go to their own seperate area (far from my females) either in the ground or stay in pots. I like to grow out all of my males for observation and selection to make seeds in the fall.

Im very confident in this technique, and more than anxious for the spring weather. My favorite time of year! Ive just gta find a cheap plug on the Promix, and get stocked up. Compost piles are heating up, and worm bins are full and producing well. Just need my promix

idiit

Veteran
^ chicken wire is by far better. i walk a mile into many of my guerilla grows. my area is red hot. only 1/2 of my gardens make it to harvest . poo poo got 3 patches last year. lost two to land being developed.

i can't discretely carry chicken wire into my guerilla grows or i would use this method.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
^ chicken wire is by far better. i walk a mile into many of my guerilla grows. my area is red hot. only 1/2 of my gardens make it to harvest . poo poo got 3 patches last year. lost two to land being developed.

i can't discretely carry chicken wire into my guerilla grows or i would use this method.

If you have a hiking backpack (I have a 75 gallon capacity pack that I use) you can throw a nice, big roll of chicken wire in there and then just cut it with wire cutters when you're at your plots. That's what I do.

Also, I'm unclear as to why a container buried in the ground is needed. If the chicken wire is buried deep enough, then that shouldn't be too much of an issue. The reason I don't want to bury a container in the ground is I want to avoid any possibility of the plants becoming root-bound.

Although I just envisioned me pulling out the chicken wire buried 6" down and out comes all the roots that grew through it... I would assume though that 6" is shallow enough that the roots will be expanding below it yet deep enough to keep out any digging critters.

hamstring

Veteran

Here is my method

Buy 12 ounze water bottles and cut the bottom out not the top. Push the bottle over presoaked seeds by turning and pushing actually more like drilling. Drill/push the bottom of the bottle under the earth a couple of inches. This will hold the bottle in place. Now the plant can breath out of the much smaller bottle top and it holds in heat better than a large opening. The bottle protects the young seedling/s from bugs, wind, rain.

I also always put a 24 inch high green fencing around each plant and or container. If not, your sure to have birds and raccoon's lifting the bottle up.

This method is meant to start seedlings not protect against frost. I am willing to drop seeds right at last day of frost, in my area May 15th, rather than try and stretch and extra two weeks. That's also easily obtainable with a cold frame and I have done it many time but then you are dealing with transplant shock.

This will be my second season using this bottle method. The reason I'm switching is as a guerrilla I am always looking to make my life easier. There is already a shit load of work each season and any thing to simplify the process is always the right thing to do in my mind..

Can you share how you new the popo had found your plot? I'm very interested in understanding popo tatics.:tiphat:

idiit

Veteran
Can you share how you new the popo had found your plot? I'm very interested in understanding popo tatics

was near the location (mile away) and heard the big police helicopter in chase mode. there is a different sound. loud. aggressive, very aggressive. sounded like over my 10 plant patch. got in vehicle and went to hill. saw helicopter very low (just above tree tp level) doing grid search. drove vehicle to street just outside area and actually saw the helicopter rise up out of a clearing area. kids motocycle, atv in this area. maybe he was harassing them? maybe he was looking carefully for more plants?

went in on sunday morning. i lose aprox. half my patches every year; some rippers, some developers, some kids, some poo poo. have never seen poo poo stakeout on sun. am. all my patches are small. i don't want to give them justification to devote on the ground resources.

came up an unused path towards my area. saw that an atv had been heavily in this area and heavily on this path. no longer an unused path. went into the woods and picked my way towards the patch area. look thru a clear area and see a male in '50's or so age wise with badge around his neck on the path in the middle of an area that is in the middle of nowhere.

my fat self was clumsy and had made a little bit of noise. male with badge looked right at me (sun in his face, i'm in the dark sorta). did the "deer in the headlights moment".

turned and did the furry freak brothers asshole and elbows routine.

ditched camera, everything in the woods.
came back a few times to see what had happened. plants still there.

came back to harvest day that polar vortex was coming in and very very hard freeze (11/15) and plants popped. did not take the plants by the rootballs. just maain primary buds harvested.

^ never seen poo poo leave anything. they always pulled the entire plant by the roots. they take shovels, machettes, bucketts, everything. i've seen this over 10 times. usually if some plant is left this means rippers, not poo poo.

i saw the polce helicopter grid searching the area for almost an hour.

i say a cop with a badge on the trail outside my patch out in a remote area.

otherwise i would write this one off to rippers.

they had this area staked out for weeks. 10 plants. i know 'cause one time i was back checking on the patch i heard (never saw) two men talking in a low voice. could have been hunters except for the guy with the badge and the poo poo chopper.

hamstring

Veteran
Thanks for the response. You must be growing in a very hot spot is the whole area you live in this hot? Takes a bunch of money to fly pot choppers every year.I'm glad I dont have to deal with anything like that.

I'm glad everything worked out in your favor. If there was anyway to grow in a little less hot local I would consider it. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.

I was surprised to hear about cops staking out small grows. I would say 85-90% of the time one of my plots is found its a land owner and they just rip it out. Most people dont trust Johnny law any more than I do.:tiphat:

was near the location (mile away) and heard the big police helicopter in chase mode. there is a different sound. loud. aggressive, very aggressive. sounded like over my 10 plant patch. got in vehicle and went to hill. saw helicopter very low (just above tree tp level) doing grid search. drove vehicle to street just outside area and actually saw the helicopter rise up out of a clearing area. kids motocycle, atv in this area. maybe he was harassing them? maybe he was looking carefully for more plants?

went in on sunday morning. i lose aprox. half my patches every year; some rippers, some developers, some kids, some poo poo. have never seen poo poo stakeout on sun. am. all my patches are small. i don't want to give them justification to devote on the ground resources.

came up an unused path towards my area. saw that an atv had been heavily in this area and heavily on this path. no longer an unused path. went into the woods and picked my way towards the patch area. look thru a clear area and see a male in '50's or so age wise with badge around his neck on the path in the middle of an area that is in the middle of nowhere.

my fat self was clumsy and had made a little bit of noise. male with badge looked right at me (sun in his face, i'm in the dark sorta). did the "deer in the headlights moment".

turned and did the furry freak brothers asshole and elbows routine.

ditched camera, everything in the woods.
came back a few times to see what had happened. plants still there.

came back to harvest day that polar vortex was coming in and very very hard freeze (11/15) and plants popped. did not take the plants by the rootballs. just maain primary buds harvested.

^ never seen poo poo leave anything. they always pulled the entire plant by the roots. they take shovels, machettes, bucketts, everything. i've seen this over 10 times. usually if some plant is left this means rippers, not poo poo.

i saw the polce helicopter grid searching the area for almost an hour.

i say a cop with a badge on the trail outside my patch out in a remote area.

otherwise i would write this one off to rippers.

they had this area staked out for weeks. 10 plants. i know 'cause one time i was back checking on the patch i heard (never saw) two men talking in a low voice. could have been hunters except for the guy with the badge and the poo poo chopper.

Team Microbe

Veteran
I was surprised to hear about cops staking out small grows. I would say 85-90% of the time one of my plots is found its a land owner and they just rip it out. Most people dont trust Johnny law any more than I do.:tiphat:

That's very true, I've never thought about that before... I always picture them calling up the cops and them going in with finger print dusting kits and the whole 9 yards... it'll never happen but in my nightmares it is very real.

I think either a land owner or a poacher found my game camera and freshly dug holes last fall... it was after I cropped out so they didn't see any plants but they def knew what was up. They stole the camera, but it didn't have any pics of me on it. I know they can go in and look at all of the pictures that have been on the sd card, and while this is a very real possibility deep-sleep I don't think it would ever happen in real life. It kind of makes me wanna go around littering tons of plants just to see which spots don't end up being compromised...

iTarzan

Veteran
Chickenwire fences... I like to buy 25 and 50 foot rolls of 2 feet high chickenwire. Then I sit at my picnic table where I made 2 marks 3 feet apart. Then I place a roll of wire on the table. I have 2 bricks I use as weight to secure the fence when cutting it.

Put the chickenwire roll with the loose end down. Put a brick down on the wire so a few inches stick out. Sit down and pull out the fence until it is at the 3 foot mark and weigh it down with a brick. Then cut with snips at the mark near the roll and in front of the first anchor brick.

You can cut 8 fences from a 25 foot roll and 16 from a 50 foot roll. It is very efficient. Then I just form the fence by bending over the loose ends of the 3 foot lengths. This gives you a 1 foot diameter fence loop.

Then I step on them to flatten them out. I let them outside and they get weathered and lose their shine. When I scout new spots I just take them out to the area in the winter and leave them hidden under brush or covered up with dirt and leaf litter.

The first year you start as soon as you select your spots carry some fences out their first. I use to have 400 fences hid all over the boonies. I might only use 50-100 per year and rotate spots. I used to use 200-300 yearly and a few years 400. It is very similar to running a trap line. many are still out there and about a 100 or so are behind my garage. I have them when needed. They come in handy in the garden too.

IMHO if you don't fence it is going to be very disappointing in the end. Groundhogs and rabbits will eventually strike. Early on they eat the young plants and later on they strip the bark, ring the trunk and kill the whole plant.

Deer seem to be a seedling or young plant problem. They might munch on the tops some but the plant can outgrow the feeding. When they are budding they don't seem to eat the buds. They taste them but they don't seem to like them and leave them alone when sticky and stinky.

Team Microbe

Veteran
iTarzan-

Nice man that's proper, and very big numbers compared to me! I average on 30-40 plants every year, but this year I was debating on going for a serious bumper crop... what's the trick to pulling off those kind of numbers?

Location?

Scattering plants properly?

Water access?

ghostmade

Veteran
All of the a ove team microbe.i find the limit is you yourself as the grower.ur back and if you have other obligations (like a job).also off season prep is key.even during the growing season.ill scout and dig holes for next season.if its a good location.water never a problem for me as i do lots of swamp tubes.if not then i use water crystals.
But i to am eager to hear what iTarzan has to say.

iTarzan

Veteran
I was younger. That is a big reason. LOL!

You have to stay at it and be organized. I used to do all seed plants raised inside starting in January. My first 20 years I didn't fence and didn't pre sex. Never pulled males and I always had seeded pot. But so was everything else you could buy.

Then I started pre sexing, fencing and then I found out about cloning and things got better yet.

My big number years I had a good system. I walked streams and would have locations off the streams. No tracks are left in streams. Lots of small runs empty into streams. I would go up them and find nice spots for plants maybe 10 or so here and there. Clear the area some and drop off my fences I had in my backpack.

Two or 3 streams and 50 fences dropped off along each one. I also had collapsable clear plastic water totes hidden at each area to haul water from the stream. Then I would get them planted between May 20 and June 10 or so. I would do this early mornings Monday through Friday when people are working mostly. I had my backpack loaded with 10 rooted clones or 8 week old seedlings. I would basically almost bare root them or very little soil on the roots and roll the rootball in a layer of damp newspaper and then roll the whole plant up in a couple of layers of dry newspaper. I would stack them upright roots down in the backpack. I would use branches stuck through the fence holes and into the ground to secure the fences.

I also had some mountainside spots. Steep hikes where most people did not venture.

I carried a small pick like tool with a flat end and a pointy end and dug my holes with that. I would go out 5 days a week until they were all planted in natural soil and fenced. I would lay down the newspaper as mulch to help with moisture retention and weed control. Then cover the paper with dirt, leaves and rocks.

Now it would be time for the cornfields. They were done at night. 12m to 4 am. Dark, scary but yet stimulating. Seeing the moon, coyotes, bears and farm dogs sneaking up on you. I didn't start planting these until June 18 because by then the second spray of weed killer was done. I would have 2 backpacks. One with 20 fences and one with 20 newspaper wrapped plants.

10 nights in a row and you have 200 plants in the corn. One year I took 30 out each night. I had my car and a bicycle. I would go to the cornfield where I wanted to enter and put my backpacks a few rows in and my pick. I would take three 5 gallon collapsable water totes to water each plant in with a half gallon of water or so and hide them with my backpacks. I would also have a pack of 10 green bamboo tomato stakes to secure the fences. I would snap them into 1 foot lengths and use 2 on each fence.

Then I would drive my car a mile or so up the road away from the planting spot. I would ride my bike back to where my stuff was. Count and write down the number of rows I went in and start to plant. I would go in like 44 rows and plant 5 plants and then plant every 8 rows on the way out on an angle or zig zag. As long as I knew how far I went in and what number I used on the way out I could find the plants. No numbers and it is super easy to lose your plants.

When the corn gets over your head by the end of July you can visit them in the daytime as long as you park far away and ride the bike. Just hide supplies, park the car and ride the bike and hide it in the corn.

At night when planting the corn when it is only waist to shoulder high you have to watch for headlights and duck or lay down until they pass.

Once when planting I hade a large calf in the corn scare the heck out of me. Another time I was on one knee digging a hole and something started sniffing the back of my head. I was frozen with fear. It turned out to be a huge but friendly black lab farm dog. I had slim jims and a coca cola for a snack and gave him a slim jim. I would run into him many times that season and had dog treats at the ready.

That was my basic method. Be organized and relentless and get things planted. It is hard but worth the effort.

iTarzan

Veteran
I would bury my plants so only a few leaf sets stuck out of the ground. The root ball would be at least a foot down or so. They seldom dried out but I would water if it was very dry. The plants in the corn I watered a couple times a week if no rain. If it rained it wasn't needed. Cornfields stay moist when it rains normally and the corn is tall.

I would cut off the corn a couple stalks each direction from my plants. I would cut right above the highest forming ear so the ears would still grow but they didn't block the sun from my plants. I would also plant bare spots I would find in the corn.