What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

90s (Super) Skunk

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A workmate allowed his 2 young sons to grow indoors in a spare pantry.I helped them and they asked me about seeds.I recommended Sensi's SSK.They bought 1 pack and got 8 females.They were really happy with the results of their first grow. :)

SSK 2007
7287P1050367.JPG

Piff_cat

Very cool info. Was just talking about the leaf mutations on skunks. This Super Skunk has the very thin leaves with the extra reverse leaflet, and looks like the older skunks.

View attachment 19029319
View attachment 19029335 View attachment 19029320
micro rna mutations are super cool and have HUGE effect on both structure and finished product. mirna are part of a system to ensure organs are built at the right time and placee think of them as a handbrake.

each micro rna type controls a specific gene by DOWN regulating the genes action. when that hand brake mutates, it no longer holds the gene action back and leads to huge increases in that particular gene product.(in this case extra leaf blades in the wrong place)

these types of mutants can be lost easily when outcrossed to any plant without the mirna mutation. this is called "rescuing" the non mutated mirna from the outcross "fixes" the missing handbrake.

funkyhorse actually bred 2 plants with this mutation together- early 90s sensi nl5 haze from tropical seeds and a tom hill haze male. check out the crazy resin and structure that resulted.
1720583241696.jpeg

1720583325282.jpeg

these furry rolled up edges are called ecotopic trichomes

1720583415438.jpeg

Tomahawk_

Very cool info. Was just talking about the leaf mutations on skunks. This Super Skunk has the very thin leaves with the extra reverse leaflet, and looks like the older skunks.

View attachment 19029319
View attachment 19029335 View attachment 19029320
Hey, ...nice to see all the SKUNKS! (I'm doing a Skunk hunt on a different forum as well)

I too have the '79 Florida Skunk (in hybrids), and a Super Skunk going this season.

Is this your first grow with the 79 Florida Skunk? ...just wondering, because this is my first grow with her, and wondering what to expect.

Thanks

BerryManilow

micro rna mutations are super cool and have HUGE effect on both structure and finished product. mirna are part of a system to ensure organs are built at the right time and placee think of them as a handbrake.

each micro rna type controls a specific gene by DOWN regulating the genes action. when that hand brake mutates, it no longer holds the gene action back and leads to huge increases in that particular gene product.(in this case extra leaf blades in the wrong place)

these types of mutants can be lost easily when outcrossed to any plant without the mirna mutation. this is called "rescuing" the non mutated mirna from the outcross "fixes" the missing handbrake.

funkyhorse actually bred 2 plants with this mutation together- early 90s sensi nl5 haze from tropical seeds and a tom hill haze male. check out the crazy resin and structure that resulted.
View attachment 19030170

View attachment 19030171

these furry rolled up edges are called ecotopic trichomes

View attachment 19030172

That's very interesting info. Never went deep down the genetics rabbit hole like that but it makes a lot of sense and it's cool to see how those mutations create different characteristics. I always wondered what makes those fuzzy, rolled up leaves.

My 15 year old clone only strain called The Berry aka Berry Manilow is OG Kush x Old School Skunk (Skunk Special) and it has those same types of ecotopic trichromes. (Learned a new word today so thanks for that.) It's my favorite strain by far, the flavor is amazing lemon pledge fuel with berry overtones, the effects are slightly heady but mind expanding, happy feeling with an almost equal body high, and it is very strong. Has repeatedly tested 25-31% over the past few years. I'm thinking that those 2 strains had this type of mutation, which leads to crazy trichrome production.

This round was grown in aeroponics and this was some of the most beautiful buds I've ever seen from this strain in 15 years.
Berry ecotopic trichromes .jpg

Berry ecotopic trichromes 1.jpg

Berry ecotopic 2.jpg

This is why I don't run a lot of newer polyhybrids. I have a few and they are massive trichrome producers, but some of the classics will produce just as much. I've never seen male flowers or any signs of herm traits in 15 years, and this strain has been through every type of stressor imaginable. Most of the newer strains will pop herms when vigorously stress tested.

Last edited:

BerryManilow

Hey, ...nice to see all the SKUNKS! (I'm doing a Skunk hunt on a different forum as well)

I too have the '79 Florida Skunk (in hybrids), and a Super Skunk going this season.

Is this your first grow with the 79 Florida Skunk? ...just wondering, because this is my first grow with her, and wondering what to expect.

Thanks
Right on! I grabbed a pack of the '79 FL Heirloom Skunk s1 from Sunshine State, popped 2 of them so far and have them in veg right now, so I haven't ran them yet. The smaller runt just showed sex and it's a girl, so I'll be transplanting that soon and taking some clones.

The bigger, more vigorous one is just showing sex and I'm pretty sure it's also female. It had some weird growth at first so I wasn't sure. I've actually seen males come from fem packs before, plus Sunshine State does have some questionable things on the internet so I just didn't know what to expect.

BerryManilow

Super Skunk is moving right along. Healthy as can be, showing her full expressions. Starting to stack sites everywhere. Has that classic old school skunk look and representation. Very impressed with this structure. Zero signs of pests or diseases. She's ready to rock n roll.

SSem.jpg

SSem2.jpg

Ssbud.jpg

Brushing against it and moving it kicks up that piss smell, but up close and on the touch is straight up, full on, fresh skunk spray. Not dead animal, not rotting heavy smells, just live, bright skunk. Burns your nose when you smell it.

It's a real skunk plant.

BerryManilow

Roadkill" Skunk flowering. This clone was all kinds of crazy when I got it. Already topped and lots of weird shoots. Got her healthy, stripped it down and took 12 clones. Decided to just flower the original plants I got and start new ones from scratch. Did some lst and tied her down so she grows all focused branches instead of a bunch of jang. It's better, but not ideal. Is what it is at this point, just want to flower these out for smell and taste.

She's filling in now and popping lots of sites. Hard to get an idea of her original structure but it's definitely a lanky sativa growth pattern. Not huge spears like the SS but could be from all the weird growth. She's very healthy and has lots of space for airflow so that's a plus.

Rkem.jpg

Close up leaves: Skunks seem to have a pattern here, these long thin blades and sharp reverse leaflets.
Rkemlf.jpg

Rkemlf2.jpg

Rkemlf3.jpg

This plant has a raw, nauseating, disgusting smell. Whole face burns from smelling it, like smelling salts or taking a whiff of a gas can, that type of burn. It's the type of smell that sticks with you and lingers.

This is the 4 day old, rotting in the sun, decaying, straight up nasty dead skunk.

This is "Uncle Mike's Skunk Bud." This is without a doubt, what everybody that has ever smelled a dead skunk in person, would call a roadkill skunk plant.

Piff_cat

That's very interesting info. Never went deep down the genetics rabbit hole like that but it makes a lot of sense and it's cool to see how those mutations create different characteristics. I always wondered what makes those fuzzy, rolled up leaves.

My 15 year old clone only strain called The Berry aka Berry Manilow is OG Kush x Old School Skunk (Skunk Special) and it has those same types of ecotopic trichromes. (Learned a new word today so thanks for that.) It's my favorite strain by far, the flavor is amazing lemon pledge fuel with berry overtones, the effects are slightly heady but mind expanding, happy feeling with an almost equal body high, and it is very strong. Has repeatedly tested 25-31% over the past few years. I'm thinking that those 2 strains had this type of mutation, which leads to crazy trichrome production.

This round was grown in aeroponics and this was some of the most beautiful buds I've ever seen from this strain in 15 years.
View attachment 19030566
View attachment 19030567
View attachment 19030568

This is why I don't run a lot of newer polyhybrids. I have a few and they are massive trichrome producers, but some of the classics will produce just as much. I've never seen male flowers or any signs of herm traits in 15 years, and this strain has been through every type of stressor imaginable. Most of the newer strains will pop herms when vigorously stress tested.
This is a beautiful plant! Your dead on with the polyhybrid observation - if these beneficial mutations can be "fixed" by an outcross stands to reason repeated outcrossing will diluted/eliminate these desirable types.

The stem on your plant is actually a form of fasciation. Notice how it's square? This is a result of the shoot apical meristem having more stem cells then usual.
In this case a square stem is caused by an increase in height of the Sam and at same time narrowing the Sam. Hence the rectangular shape
. This goes beyond just looking cool because the sam is responsible for ALL above ground organs. The increase in size of Sam can allow it to initiate more then one node at a time. Sometimes even 3 or 4 toward end of flower as these large stem cells pools continue to get more and more abnormal.

BerryManilow

This is a beautiful plant! Your dead on with the polyhybrid observation - if these beneficial mutations can be "fixed" by an outcross stands to reason repeated outcrossing will diluted/eliminate these desirable types.

The stem on your plant is actually a form of fasciation. Notice how it's square? This is a result of the shoot apical meristem having more stem cells then usual.
In this case a square stem is caused by an increase in height of the Sam and at same time narrowing the Sam. Hence the rectangular shape
. This goes beyond just looking cool because the sam is responsible for ALL above ground organs. The increase in size of Sam can allow it to initiate more then one node at a time. Sometimes even 3 or 4 toward end of flower as these large stem cells pools continue to get more and more abnormal.
Thanks she is a gorgeous girl and why I've kept her around for so long. Your outcrossing comment explains why strains like skunk are diluted/eliminated over time, since it buries those genes or wipes them out fully.

Didn't know about the stem fasciation, and that actually explains a lot. While this plant does grow tall and lanky like a sativa, it does have what I would call an abnormal amount of nodes and bud clusters for it's growth pattern. Also an abnormal amount of trichrome production. Very cool to learn about all of this, appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

BerryManilow

My first legal rec home grow in my home state. Popped my first seed here about 25 years ago!

1stlegalbbtbmnj.jpg

The Berry
(OG Kush x Old School Skunk) My 15 Yr Old Cut

Blue Bands
(Headband x Blue Cheese) 15 Yr Old Cut

Mac N Jack
(MAC1 x Jack Herer)

Super Skunk
[Afghan (T) x Skunk1]

SSmidflfront.jpg

SSmidflback.jpg

SSmidflcola.jpg

SSmidflcola2.jpg

SSmidflnug.jpg

SSmidflside1.jpg
SSmdflside2.jpg

Uncle Mike's "Roadkill" Skunk Bud
(unknown lineage) 40 yr Old Cut

Rkmdfl.jpg

Rkmdflnug.jpg

Last edited:

BerryManilow

'79 FL Skunk s1
Crazy leaf structure. Feels greasy and like leather. Smells like a weird grease/ burnt rubber type of smell. Doesn't smell like skunk though.
79flleaf.jpg

79flleaf2.jpg

79flleaf3.jpg

FL Skunk s1 #2

Not as many wrinkled crazy leaves yet. More stretch. Same leather feeling, same greasy, burnt rubber type smell. Weird extra leaf mutation. Doesn't smell like skunk.

S12.jpg

Tomahawk_

'79 FL Skunk s1
Crazy leaf structure. Feels greasy and like leather. Smells like a weird grease/ burnt rubber type of smell. Doesn't smell like skunk though.
View attachment 19034816

View attachment 19034815

View attachment 19034817

FL Skunk s1 #2

Not as many wrinkled crazy leaves yet. More stretch. Same leather feeling, same greasy, burnt rubber type smell. Weird extra leaf mutation. Doesn't smell like skunk.

View attachment 19034822

'79 FL Skunk s1
View attachment 19034816

View attachment 19034815

View attachment 19034817

FL Skunk s1 #2

View attachment 19034822
Yeah - not very easy to find "true Skunk" type plants now-a-days. I have a couple hybrids of the '79 Florida Skunk going as well, and still way too early to determine smell, etc.. They're just starting to get into 2nd gear - but as soon as I know & see more, I'll post some pics & info.

I have the following hybrids:
'79 Florida Skunk x Black Cherry
'79 Florida Skunk x Mexican Zacatecas
.....I'm hoping that these crosses exhibit the F1 Hybrid results... I'm sure the Florida Skunk will dominate, but the other strains will add a little twist to them.

Latest posts

Latest posts