What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

90s (Super) Skunk

BerryManilow

Yeah - not very easy to find "true Skunk" type plants now-a-days. I have a couple hybrids of the '79 Florida Skunk going as well, and still way too early to determine smell, etc.. They're just starting to get into 2nd gear - but as soon as I know & see more, I'll post some pics & info.

I have the following hybrids:
'79 Florida Skunk x Black Cherry
'79 Florida Skunk x Mexican Zacatecas
.....I'm hoping that these crosses exhibit the F1 Hybrid results... I'm sure the Florida Skunk will dominate, but the other strains will add a little twist to them.

Agreed, and why everybody has been searching for them for so long.

I don't know what will come from the '79 FL Skunk packs, so far nobody has found skunk in them.

I took clones from and these are the smells from the young plants:

Super Skunk : cat piss & straight up skunk spray. Its undeniable and smells exactly like skunk.

RK: straight up dead skunk, roadkill skunk, heavy skunk spray but very different than the SS.

FL Skunk: grease, burnt rubber, very strong, but there's no overwhelming skunk or any real skunk smell.

First time flowering all of these so that part I just don't know yet. That could all change with finished buds. As long as the smell stays with the buds after drying and on the smoke, then I will say with absolutely certainty these are true. If they're a let down, I'm not going to bullshit anybody. I just can't see how they smell this much like skunk and then not be it.

BerryManilow

'79 FL Skunk s1 #1. Crazy leaves. Heavy smell like grease and fuel, slight burnt rubber. Not very skunky yet but very powerful and rank.

FLSks1lf1.jpg

FLSks1lf2.jpg

FLSks1lf.jpg

FLSks1lf3.jpg

Bushy structure, some stretch

FLSks1structure.jpg

Bean pole structure on the #2. Was way behind but already taller. Similar smell. Will top it and run it once but most likely keeping the other pheno.

FLSks12structure.jpg

BerryManilow

Mid flower update.

6 flowering plants and 6 in veg is the home grow limit here, but we're allowed 5lbs of flower at home! So I flipped my biggest mother plants. 🤣

Mdflroom.jpg

Super Skunk still very healthy and stacking up like crazy. She is a stinky girl! Smell is straight up skunk spray. Legit smells like an actual skunk. Not weed, SKUNK!!!

SSmdflwrcola.jpg

SSmdflstr.jpg

Side cola:
SSmdflsidecola1.jpg

SSmdflwrtree.jpg

Take a look at this plant structure, it's mostly buds. I wasn't even going to flower this plant, just use it for clones, which is why the middle is gone. Worked out decent though since it cleaned up all the jang, plus I defoliated pretty heavily.

Got some great news today, test results came back and the first round of genetics tested are clean and free from HpLVd. The Super Skunk is clean and mother plants are backed up at 2 locations. She's a part of the family now and is here to stay.
Screenshot_20240727_131356_Chrome.jpg

kro-magnon

Veteran
Wow allowed to have 5 pounds at home, that's a comfortable stash. I have not had so much at once since I don't grow outdoor any more.
Those Skunk you're growing are looking good but I don't know about the smells you describe,I'm from Europe and always had the Dutch version of Skunk and Super Skunk and I love those lines for their powerful and pleasant smells, I don't know what to think about a plant smelling like an actual skunk, I'm not sure I'd like that type of terpene profile.I had a few stinkers over the years and it never was a great experience for me, one of the worst came from JillyBean seeds, it was smelling like garbage in the summer, it was absolutely disgusting for me anyway maybe some of you would have loved it.

NEED 4 SEED

Wow allowed to have 5 pounds at home, that's a comfortable stash. I have not had so much at once since I don't grow outdoor any more.
Those Skunk you're growing are looking good but I don't know about the smells you describe,I'm from Europe and always had the Dutch version of Skunk and Super Skunk and I love those lines for their powerful and pleasant smells, I don't know what to think about a plant smelling like an actual skunk, I'm not sure I'd like that type of terpene profile.I had a few stinkers over the years and it never was a great experience for me, one of the worst came from JillyBean seeds, it was smelling like garbage in the summer, it was absolutely disgusting for me anyway maybe some of you would have loved it.
Hey it's me again. As I'm European too, I had the same problem with the description of Skunk spray smell. People on Overgrow told me to try a product which is made of 100% Skunk Spray liquid. They are collecting it from Skunk animals on a farm.

Buck Stop Skunk Scent

But there are plenty other of these on the market. Now what are they for? Is it some prank product? No, hunters are using it to mask their own odor to become undetectable for deer in the woods. A short whiff of the smell when opening the package reminds me of rubber/burnt rubber. A smell like in a plastic factory. When opening the bottle this is something else. Fish, dead fish, garlic, car rim cleaner and still lots of rubber. You don't want to have your weed smell like that. Fresh Skunk spray has no relation to the smell of Dutch Skunk weed.

NEED 4 SEED

Mid flower update.

6 flowering plants and 6 in veg is the home grow limit here, but we're allowed 5lbs of flower at home! So I flipped my biggest mother plants. 🤣

View attachment 19039203

Super Skunk still very healthy and stacking up like crazy. She is a stinky girl! Smell is straight up skunk spray. Legit smells like an actual skunk. Not weed, SKUNK!!!

View attachment 19039205
View attachment 19039210
Side cola:
View attachment 19039207
View attachment 19039209

Take a look at this plant structure, it's mostly buds. I wasn't even going to flower this plant, just use it for clones, which is why the middle is gone. Worked out decent though since it cleaned up all the jang, plus I defoliated pretty heavily.

Got some great news today, test results came back and the first round of genetics tested are clean and free from HpLVd. The Super Skunk is clean and mother plants are backed up at 2 locations. She's a part of the family now and is here to stay.
View attachment 19039211
Hey, I found a plant with heavy Skunk Spray smell as well. But It cures to something a bit different. It almost gets a bit cheesy, but no sweet component in it, sort of bitter smell, a little rubber still in there but no fish, but maybe fried garlic and burnt toast. I wonder, how yours will turn out. Please do a description after the harvest...

kro-magnon

Veteran
I have absolute
Hey it's me again. As I'm European too, I had the same problem with the description of Skunk spray smell. People on Overgrow told me to try a product which is made of 100% Skunk Spray liquid. They are collecting it from Skunk animals on a farm.

Buck Stop Skunk Scent

But there are plenty other of these on the market. Now what are they for? Is it some prank product? No, hunters are using it to mask their own odor to become undetectable for deer in the woods. A short whiff of the smell when opening the package reminds me of rubber/burnt rubber. A smell like in a plastic factory. When opening the bottle this is something else. Fish, dead fish, garlic, car rim cleaner and still lots of rubber. You don't want to have your weed smell like that. Fresh Skunk spray has no relation to the smell of Dutch Skunk weed.
l have absolutely no desire to smell a skunk spray in any form and certainly not buy some, those animals use this as mechanism defense so it must be really nasty, not interested in trying that.
About the Skunk strain I know some plants can have some very nasty smells, I had a few as I said but for me it's not a desirable trait,each time I had a plant I consider a bad stinker I didn't keep any for me because I was disgusted and could not smoke it. I'm glad those nasty phenotypes were bred out of the skunk line, the plants had still a very powerful smell sometimes agressive but not nasty or disgusting like a rotting cadaver or fecal matter, thank god.
I'm curious about those thread about plants with such terpene profile because it's something I don't understand how it can be appealing , the people who got my stinky buds were usually smoking them because they had nothing else but if given the choice they would have smoke something else. I don't know if people really like buds with those smells or the idea of having them because it's a legend of the cannabis.

eastcoastjoe

or the idea of having them because it's a legend of the cannabis

It’s about this. That’s why the scammers have historically kept perpetuating the “ I found it “ story. Seems to keep working to. It’s amazing , with as many folks who have found it in the last 10+ years, why isn’t the search over.
If I ever found it i would make sure it’s everywhere. That way the scammers and trade baiters can go get a real job like the rest of us

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I agree with the scam bait it’s a lot of moving parts tho it’s not a scam but it is

Ok so let’s say in 1987 u had some stink buds and u were the go to man for that in that era u could have been a legit source for stink buds and seeds

Fast forward we have sour diesel Chem og kush .. people who were growing that skunk or whatever gave it up for something stinker taste better and grew faster it’s just the nature of business it was never LOST just phased out

Now combine nostalgia and people wanting to experience that feeling or memory again and u have a recipe for a scam plus there’s thousands of new growers who don’t kno canna history just from there perspective of smoking

People in the canna world have this way of thinking like one person is in control and it follows a direct line or it’s not real even the direct line.. I understand the need to kno the history bc people fake things all the time .. some of the people in the history are straight up businessmen (most) and use that status in canna history to keep selling u shit bc it’s a business and it’s all fake shit or just so old and inferior it should have honesty descriptions

Random idk who Hemi cheeba is seems like the man bc every time someone is tryna sell beans it some how traces back to him and skunk it’s 30 years later and nobody found shit if I have to hear that name again I’m gonna lose it ..

BerryManilow

Yeah they did us some justice with the 5lb limit.

Thanks, they're doing really good so far. I like a lot of different smells and flavor profiles, and the skunk smell isn't my favorite by any means, but most people associate a sense of nostalgia with that smell amd the very nice effects from the skunk bud. Takes us back to the good old days. The smell is definitely not for everybody, though.

That one you grew from JillyBean seems like an unpleasant smell, I don't think I'd like hot garbage. I'm sure there are some people who would like it.

BerryManilow

Buck Stop Skunk Scent

Yeah it's tough to describe the skunk smell if you've never actually smelled it in person. I've heard a lot of the burnt rubber/rotting egg/ dead carcass descriptions but I don't think those are really close to the actual smell.

As for those hunting scents, I haven't smelled one to compare it, and not sure if that's derived from an actual skunk or not.

When it comes to skunk bud, there's varying degrees of the smells depending on the plant. Roadkill Skunk as it has been named leans more towards the heavier, overpowering, dead skunk smell. This Super Skunk I have isn't that heavy or gross, it has more of a live skunk and fresh skunk spray smell. It may sound gross, but it's actually pleasant, even though it's pretty strong, if that makes any sense.

Most Dutch skunk strains that I've smelled generally have a more sweet, fruity, and floral smell than what people in the states would call "skunk bud."

BerryManilow

Hey, I found a plant with heavy Skunk Spray smell as well. But It cures to something a bit different. It almost gets a bit cheesy, but no sweet component in it, sort of bitter smell, a little rubber still in there but no fish, but maybe fried garlic and burnt toast. I wonder, how yours will turn out. Please do a description after the harvest...
Very cool. Yeah that's what a lot of the plants named skunk tend to lean towards when they are finished, and why everybody is still looking for the skunk bud that actually carries that flavor over to finished flower. The compounds that create those smells are volatile sulphuric compounds, and all the latest research seems to say that they generally don't last long during cure.

I'll continue to update along the way and give a smoke report, as well as get some finished flower into many different hands so there are multiple smoke reports.

BerryManilow

I have absolute

l have absolutely no desire to smell a skunk spray in any form and certainly not buy some, those animals use this as mechanism defense so it must be really nasty, not interested in trying that.
About the Skunk strain I know some plants can have some very nasty smells, I had a few as I said but for me it's not a desirable trait,each time I had a plant I consider a bad stinker I didn't keep any for me because I was disgusted and could not smoke it. I'm glad those nasty phenotypes were bred out of the skunk line, the plants had still a very powerful smell sometimes agressive but not nasty or disgusting like a rotting cadaver or fecal matter, thank god.
I'm curious about those thread about plants with such terpene profile because it's something I don't understand how it can be appealing , the people who got my stinky buds were usually smoking them because they had nothing else but if given the choice they would have smoke something else. I don't know if people really like buds with those smells or the idea of having them because it's a legend of the cannabis.
The skunk smell is definitely not for everybody. Some people enjoy the fruity, sweet strains, or fuel/gas type strains, or heavy, nasty strains. We all have different likes and palettes, and enjoy different flavors.

Unless you have actually smelled or tasted skunk bud, it's hard to fully describe it. It sounds gross and to many people it is, and they wouldn't like it. For many of us though, it is nasty but pleasant at the same time, if that makes any sense. A lot of it is nostalgia, because smelling it would generally mean that it was high quality bud during a time when that was few and far between. It was also very potent compared to everything else around, and had great effects, so that has a lot to do with it as well.

Yes it's a legend but I believe it's more along the lines of "you don't know what you have until it's gone" type of thing for most people, and that's why everybody misses it so much and has been searching for it.

eastcoastjoe

I agree with the scam bait it’s a lot of moving parts tho it’s not a scam but it is

Ok so let’s say in 1987 u had some stink buds and u were the go to man for that in that era u could have been a legit source for stink buds and seeds

Fast forward we have sour diesel Chem og kush .. people who were growing that skunk or whatever gave it up for something stinker taste better and grew faster it’s just the nature of business it was never LOST just phased out

Now combine nostalgia and people wanting to experience that feeling or memory again and u have a recipe for a scam plus there’s thousands of new growers who don’t kno canna history just from there perspective of smoking

People in the canna world have this way of thinking like one person is in control and it follows a direct line or it’s not real even the direct line.. I understand the need to kno the history bc people fake things all the time .. some of the people in the history are straight up businessmen (most) and use that status in canna history to keep selling u shit bc it’s a business and it’s all fake shit or just so old and inferior it should have honesty descriptions

Random idk who Hemi cheeba is seems like the man bc every time someone is tryna sell beans it some how traces back to him and skunk it’s 30 years later and nobody found shit if I have to hear that name again I’m gonna lose it ..

I agree with some of what your saying there for sure about nostalgia and not being able to find that thing you remember. I started out trying to be open minded about the subject but through the years the same thing just repeats itself over and over. It’s always a scam.

It’s usually a guy shows up with a story on how he found it in some rare place that it was held by bikers , Indians, hillbillies in the mountains, etc.

He grows it out and acts like he’s gonna be objective and honest about what he has. They always end up confirming it’s the skunkiest roadkill on earth and cause excitement. Then the releasing of seeds gets talked about or it’s used as trade bait. Then people figure out it’s bullshit after they fork over their money or trade all there shit. Happens every time.

eastcoastjoe

Hell, one of this sites sponsors is one of the original skunk scammers. Imagine “breeding” roadkill skunk , slapping a label on it and sending it to attitude seedbank lol. Of course 10 years later the search is on 🤷🏻‍♂️

34283405-49F1-4118-9D03-AF26C5D40506.jpeg

13AE49EF-FBB5-4A56-A39C-037A73C3395F.png

Latest posts

Latest posts