What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

moose eater

im serious as a heart attack in everything i say
That wasn't what I was saying, 'hawk. I was speaking about integrity and consistency in life's ongoing dilemmas and drama. I have no doubt you helped with a mink farm.

I was comparing Moyle's/some republicans' hollow political soundbites.

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
That wasn't what I was saying, 'hawk. I was speaking about integrity and consistency in life's ongoing dilemmas and drama. I have no doubt you helped with a mink farm.

I was comparing Moyle's/some republicans' hollow political soundbites.
im not a liar,thief cheater or degenerate and i dont condone degeneracy. thats all im going to say. so in other words i dont belong in politics

RobFromTX

And yes, I remembered you had lived in Eagle River. Don't know when you left there, but that entire hillside, uphill from the Old Glenn Hwy through town, has been turned into subdivisions with mostly newer (EXPENSIVE) homes here, there, and everywhere.

We're a rapidly expanding invasive species.
94-98 is when i lived there. It was a fun place to live as a kid. No way in hell could i handle the winters now. I get arthritis flares when it drops to the 40's here

My dream is to settle in Australia. Beautiful place, great fishing and moderate crime. I wont have to worry about meth freaks stealing my plants :D

moose eater

94-98 is when i lived there. It was a fun place to live as a kid. No way in hell could i handle the winters now. I get arthritis flares when it drops to the 40's here

My dream is to settle in Australia. Beautiful place, great fishing and moderate crime. I wont have to worry about meth freaks stealing my plants :D
There are meth heads on every continent. And asshole, disingenuous people and politicians, too. :(

Australia has some derelict cross-roads towns on nice, paved highway where even the gas stations and cafe's ceased being a long while ago, now sitting as reminders of boom-bust economies and some of the downsides.

We drove past some places there, decent places, where $10k to $20k USD could/would get you a place. Not necessarily with a lot of acreage, but few neighbors... currently/then. :)

But if it were me, the US dollar fetches more exchange in New Zealand as a rule, the gov has a bit more common sense in various aspects of enforcement, including greenery, the south tip of the southern Island, near Invercargill, has 'lifestyle farms' (what we might call a gentleman's farm), mountains in the near distance, sometimes with snow on them, brown trout fishing, deer(?), fresh fruit orchards, and much more, with far fewer poisonous critters than Oz, which matters a whole bunch to me, and they're less apt to play lackey to Uncle Sam's war-mongering too. All good points in my book..

Edit: New Zealand also has, often on the older lifestyle farms, 1800's-vintage European architecture in the buildings; 10' ceilings, passive lighting at the tops of the walls made from small panes of older thick glass, older hardwood doors and trim, arched pass-throughs or doorways, etc. But you'd want to establish the solidness of the structures in any climate where there's moisture. Especially main support beams, etc.

Last edited:

moose eater

Probably about '94 is when we got acquainted with our meat processor friends there. They've cut every moose and beef we've harvested since, and some caribou and pigs, too.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

If people are being relocated due to refugee status, and in many of those cases, the US is/can be linked to the reasons for the refugees in the first place, especially if they're from Central or South America or Central Asia/Middle East, even if one has to turn back the pages a bit to see it, I doubt very much I'd feel a lot of greed, jealousy, or animosity for their being subsidized for a short period of time, especially knowing all of those subsidies are being recirculated into my local community's coffers.

I've often been too focused on my own life to care about what my neighbors have.
You also aren’t working for $8-$15 an hour your whole life. Not to mention being promised various programs by politicians for your entire life, only to see the things you’ve been promised given to non citizens right next door.

I’ve lived in Appalachia. If you’re unfamiliar with the destruction of these communities over the past 30 years you should check it out.

There’s a reason everyone In that area is addicted to fentanyl and meth.

Hiddenjems

People are being told by landlords that they won’t renew their lease. They kick them out and rent to hatians because their subsidized housing will pay more.

RobFromTX

Probably about '94 is when we got acquainted with our meat processor friends there.
It was still a very small community back then. My dad was an avid outdoorsmen like me and my brothers but the woman he married turned into a real bitch after two winters there. Had a drinking problem that just got worse and worse

We traveled to the peninsula a lot when we took trips. Soldotna was probably my favorite small town. The people there were so friendly youd think they were plotting something on you. Im sure its all been yuppiefornicated now. Every pretty place has

moose eater

You also aren’t working for $8-$15 an hour your whole life. Not to mention being promised various programs by politicians for your entire life, only to see the things you’ve been promised given to non citizens right next door.

I’ve lived in Appalachia. If you’re unfamiliar with the destruction of these communities over the past 30 years you should check it out.

There’s a reason everyone In that area is addicted to fentanyl and meth.
I've lived in squatters' cabins with off-white trash bags for windows, wondering when or if my shit would be gone when I got home, due to the illegal nature of the hidden-in-the-woods structure. I had cash flow, but a lot of it wasn't from a legal job.

Same era I lived in a partly subterranean shack on railroad property that, just to get to it, meant crossing the tracks in the woods, which was an inherent trespass issue if caught.

*Warmest place in the railroad shack was IN your sleeping bag.

Using bogus travelers' checks to cross borders with as little as .35 cents in my pocket, never actually cashing the checks, but using them to show Customs just to get past.

Crossed the continent more than once with little more than a jar of peanut butter and honey and a shitty loaf of bread to feed myself and my dog at times.

Never stole during those days, other than a bit of after-season pilfering from the University of Alaska's (Fairbanks) experimental farm, slithering through their crops at night time like Snoopy in the Great Pumpkin episode, after they ceased distributing the crops they grew to the community due to local grocery stores complaining out of greed, hidden behind principle.

Didn't get strung out on opiates in that period, either.

I lived in WWII bunkers of various sizes and purpose on Kodiak Island where I watched crab fishermen with -loaded- pockets, high on coke and drunk off their asses, spending $2k+ in an evening in a bar (the old 'B&B' bar) buying drinks for people they didn't even know, while I could, at that same time, show you impoverished folks living in WWII Quonset huts out at Bells Flats that had been refurbed, one with a man and a woman holding a baby in towels around a coal stove when I approached their door looking for an acquaintance's place, nothing on their shelves but a cannister of Quaker Oats oatmeal. And can, to this day, show you a State ID from then wherein I look like an Auschwitz survivor. I'd lost a LOT of weight there. Have never been back.

Unless a person is in a pivotal or influential position, a hypocrite who harms others for personal gain, and that's the cause or source of their wealth, stepping on others' heads and fingers, metaphorically, I pay attention to my own life.

Anyone who wants more info on the old traveler's check gig to get past borders when broke, send me a PM.

My kids, when younger, once paid attention to what other neighbors had or didn't have. I told them to keep an eye on their own righteousness and karma, and less on what other people have. Doing otherwise makes one a small-minded voyeur, in my opinion. Coveting ain't cool.

Edit: Though I can confess to giving more than a brief glance to an attractive woman in the 'hood once or thrice, though I never tried to act on any of that. Even when a neighbor invited me for a back rub.

Last edited:

Hiddenjems

I've lived in squatters' cabins with off-white trash bags for windows, wondering when or if my shit would be gone when I got home, due to the illegal nature of the hidden-in-the-woods structure. I had cash flow, but a lot of it wasn't from a legal job.

Same era I lived in a partly subterranean shack on railroad property that, just to get to it, meant crossing the tracks in the woods, which was an inherent trespass issue if caught.

*Warmest place in the railroad shack was IN your sleeping bag.

Using bogus travelers' checks to cross borders with as little as .35 cents in my pocket, never actually cashing the checks, but using them to show Customs just to get past.

Never stole during those days, other than a bit of after-season pilfering from the University of Alaska's (Fairbanks) experimental farm, slithering through their crops like Snoopy in the Great Pumpkin episode, after they ceased distributing the crops they grew to the community due to local grocery stores complaining out of greed, hidden behind principle.

Didn't get strung out on opiates in that period, either.

I lived in WWII bunkers of various sizes and purpose on Kodiak Island where I watched crab fishermen with -loaded- pockets, high on coke and drunk off their asses, spending $2k+ in an evening in a bar (the old 'B&B' bar) buying drinks for people they didn't even know, while I could, at that same time, show you impoverished folks living in WWII Quonset huts out at Bells Flats that had been refurbed, one with a man and a woman holding a baby in towels around a coal stove when I approached their door looking for an acquaintance's place, nothing on their shelves but a cannister of Quaker Oats oatmeal. And can, to this day, show you a State ID from then wherein I look like an Auschwitz survivor. I'd lost a LOT of weight there. Have never been back.

Unless a person is in a pivotal or influential position, a hypocrite who harms others for personal gain, and that's the cause or source of their wealth, stepping on others' heads and fingers, metaphorically, I pay attention to my own life.

Anyone who wants more info on the old traveler's check gig to get past borders when broke, send me a PM.

My kids, when younger, once paid attention to what other neighbors had or didn't have. I told them to keep an eye on their own righteousness and karma, and less on what other people have. Doing otherwise makes one a small-minded voyeur, in my opinion. Coveting ain't cool.

Edit: Though I can confess to giving more than a brief glance to an attractive woman in the 'hood once or thrice, though I never tried to act on any of that. Even when a neighbor invited me for a back rubI can relate to coming from literally nothing to solid upper middle class,
I can relate to coming from literally nothing to solid middle class. I used to expect the same from everyone. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that everyone doesn’t have the ability or more importantly the luck that I have.

To flood a poor community with non citizens, and then subsidize them right in front of the working poor, you’re inviting trouble.

moose eater

I can relate to coming from literally nothing to solid middle class. I used to expect the same from everyone. But as I’ve gotten older I’ve learned that everyone doesn’t have the ability or more importantly the luck that I have.

To flood a poor community with non citizens, and then subsidize them right in front of the working poor, you’re inviting trouble.
I understand the jealousy among those who are impoverished. The misdirecting of blame for circumstances that are often harsh to deal with.

When I was 8 and my father offed himself after running up debts in another place that we were responsible for (*though for another 5 years we were told he died of a heart attack; metaphorically correct, I guess), we nearly lost our home, and in order for my mother, a nurse who ran a claims dept for a national big name insurance company that paid her $2.35 an hour in 1968/'69 to keep our home, I was left with a variety of babysitters (white trash racists, hippies, and all points between) at a time I needed something stable to counter the sudden knowledge that life, people, circumstance, etc. -all- can change in the blink of an eye.

My neighbors had an in-ground large pool, fenced back yard, and an airplane. I never once recall envying their wealth, etc. Spent a night or 2 at their home, swam in their pool a few times, flew in their plane and got to handle the controls, but that was all theirs. There was no reason for me to think unkindly of them back then.

And I'm not a nationalist or a racist. The race or origins of someone doesn't change that dynamic for me.

There are lots of studies showing the economic benefits of immigration.

People looking to get re-elected, needing an enemy to point at for dim-witted followers, manipulate that shit.

""Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!""

**I'd add to that list, those whose governments we've toppled and replaced with despots, and those whose homes we've bombed or facilitated bombing into smithereens.

edit: My first ancestor on my mother's side to come to the 'New World', came here from Ireland in the early mid-1700s, lived in a shoe-box size log cabin in Indiana, and built a very prosperous farm, worked with their hands, sometimes with as many as 8 of them living in that tiny cabin that still exists there. Or, at least, the remnants of it.

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only saving grace, if there is one, is that many times these days when a trophy hunter on a paid safari kills a huge, magnificent beast, the meat is often donated to a local village or more.

However, if they kill something that's not edible, and I don't know what all that might include, if anything, I'd wonder what's done with that, other than for maybe heads/skulls, hides, claws, teeth, etc.

When people I knew up here killed black bear for the gall bladders to sell to (mostly) Koreans for what was respectable money back then, using the gall bladders as an air-dried cure-all (an illegal market, btw), or for the claws and teeth, or skin, I made it clear that I would take the meat, and that they -should- take the -properly handled- meat, ALL of it, even if that meant me hanging out in front of a pressure canner for a couple days, as that's the only way I really hang onto most bear meat due to parasites, unless it's turned to sausage. Even ate some jarred grizzly meat, that, contrary to many rumors, wasn't bad at all. The grizzly meat was from McBride, B.C., Canada.
When we got a bear freshly killed by the beer truck we cooked the whole thing (in pieces of course) - some went into canned (jarred) stew - mmmm - some jerked and some into my friend's freezer.

moose eater

When we got a bear freshly killed by the beer truck we cooked the whole thing (in pieces of course) - some went into canned (jarred) stew - mmmm - some jerked and some into my friend's freezer.
It was finding out that the trichinosis in bear is different from the trichinosis in pork to the extent that it can't really safely be 'cold-cured' like we do our low-temp smoked salmon (like I'm doing now), or pork for cold smoked sausage, like landjaeger. That led to my canning policy with bear meat.

I took 5-1/2 cases of pint jars from the last bear I shot in July, 1987 to grad school with me in my old beater 1970/1971 Toyota station wagon (a 350-lb. boar with several different types of parasites, including one the Fish & Game parasitologists couldn't identify and neither could I).

Bear rubens, bear hash, bear stew, etc. By the time I was done with that bear meat, as a mostly bachelor guy through that period, meaning I was often eating it by myself, I was thoroughly tired of bear meat. But it supported my very questionably funded earlier part of graduate school in another state. And that was a good thing.

Edit: Back then the black bear population was so plentiful we didn't have to report shooting them in this area..

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If people are being relocated due to refugee status, and in many of those cases, the US is/can be linked to the reasons for the refugees in the first place, especially if they're from Central or South America or Central Asia/Middle East, even if one has to turn back the pages a bit to see it, I doubt very much I'd feel a lot of greed, jealousy, or animosity for their being subsidized for a short period of time, especially knowing all of those subsidies are being recirculated into my local community's coffers.

I've often been too focused on my own life to care about what my neighbors have.
Ya, nothing boosts a local economy like welfare payments. All the money stays right there, unlike the affluent who spend it on holiday in other locations.

moose eater

Ya, nothing boosts a local economy like welfare payments. All the money stays right there, unlike the affluent who spend it on holiday in other locations.
Yep, the poor/economically challenged immigrants trying to get by aren't big on 401k's or investment brokers. They're more the "What's on sale at the grocery store?" and "Where's the cheapest gas and snacks?" kinda' people. Or, "How can I find a resource for my kids to recreate a bit, without needing a co-signer?"

Last edited:

greyfader

speaking of food items, trump has announced that he won't be debating harris again! because she did eat him for dinner!

So Hai

Two tin planes are 450,000 pounds each with167,000 pounds of jet fuel traveling at 300 mph.

That is a pretty good reason why we are thinking this way.
View attachment 19064738
7E89A696-843E-40EB-801D-199C668249CC.jpeg
D1F1ACB9-8D67-48F2-A2CC-53D929789542.jpeg

Latest posts

Latest posts