What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Don't forget, a vote for Harris is a vote for Israel to cease existing!
This is not based in fact. However, Beebee might have to go.

Polls, like everything else, are pid for.

You may remember the testimony where Cohen admitted stealing from Chump while being the bagman in a cash payoff to have the polls rigged. In a different interview Cohen stated that "When trump is playing the accordion with his hands - he's lying".

xtsho

We have Ranked Choice Voting here in the State of Alaska, though it doesn't include Prez's races.

And the R's, who benefitted from the same old stale and abused 2-dimensional reality for too many years, and which far too many on this forum seem stuck to with perma-glue, are trying to undo RCV this year with a ballot initiative that will be voted on this November.

Like the Dems with their 'Harris or we're doomed' bullshit outlook on elections, and the R's playing the same bullshit games, both of them manipulating this way forever and a day, RCV allows folks to vote for their -ideal- candidate, then the less ideal or 'necessary if all else fails' candidate after that, with (up to) FOUR choices per race (not all races have 4 choices and not all voters want to vote for four), and GUARANTEES that no candidate can enter office with less than 50% support of the voters. No more minority representation holding sway over the greater group.

The same initiative that gave us RCV also outlawed Dark Money in races. (Fathom THAT shit for a brief moment, if you would!).

The most damaging and hilarious part is the number of Trumpers here who claim it's a "rigged system" because they are literally too fucking stupid to figure out how to vote in an election wherein, they can rank their choices in order of preference. People you -absolutely- don't want to wait with in a restaurant while they try to figure out what to order, if even ONE item on the menu isn't available to them.

So the people who had benefitted from fear-based "accept the lesser of two weasels" for decades, are now trying to remove RCV from operation here (and might succeed), after ONE major election cycle in which it was used. That's because it's some powerful stuff, where ferreting out this nonsense is concerned.

And the people here, at this forum, seem to cling to the same nonsense, admittedly without RCV, and insist on 'the lesser of 2 evils'.

Kamala and her crew a lesser threat to the world? Look at what Obama did with GW's three military conflicts, and the loosening of reins on CIA direct involvement in actual combat operations in at least 3 or 4 countries.

We're trying out RCV here in Portland for the first time. We're also going to an entirely different form of city government. We currently have a Mayor and four Commissioners but are going to a Mayor and 12 council members from 4 different districts. There is also a ballot measure for RCV for state and federal elections. I'm voting yes just as I did for the local measure for RCV last election that passed in Portland.

Over the next two years, the city will phase out its unusual commission form of government and implement a suite of changes:

• Allow voters to rank candidates in order of preference, using ranked-choice voting.
  • Establish four geographic districts, with three city council members elected to represent each district – expanding city council to a total of 12 members.

Oregon Measure 117, the Ranked-Choice Voting for Federal and State Elections Measure, is on the ballot in Oregon as a legislatively referred state statute on November 5, 2024.

moose eater

We're trying out RCV here in Portland for the first time. We're also going to an entirely different form of city government. We currently have a Mayor and four Commissioners but are going to a Mayor and 12 council members from 4 different districts. There is also a ballot measure for RCV for state and federal elections. I'm voting yes just as I did for the local measure for RCV last election that passed in Portland.

Over the next two years, the city will phase out its unusual commission form of government and implement a suite of changes:

• Allow voters to rank candidates in order of preference, using ranked-choice voting.
  • Establish four geographic districts, with three city council members elected to represent each district – expanding city council to a total of 12 members.

Oregon Measure 117, the Ranked-Choice Voting for Federal and State Elections Measure, is on the ballot in Oregon as a legislatively referred state statute on November 5, 2024.
Excellent.

But be forewarned; if there are groups in your area/state that have benefitted from a quasi-lock on the traditional 2-party shenanigans, they will not let this go unchallenged. Constitutional challenges under your state's constitution, challenges re. the signatures gathered, the wording of the proposed law, etc. etc., etc.

Mary Peltola is the first Dem Native Alaskan female we've had in our federal Congressional House of Representatives ever, though we once had another D many years ago.

The returns might be a bit slower from your rural areas and military members, especially those overseas, and the nay-sayers will cook up bizarre conspiracy theories about that, too, if they're anything like up here.
But in my opinion, it stands to get rid of the whole "YOU only have one vote, and if THAT guy gets in we're screwed, so you -have- to vote for THIS guy instead, even if he's only a slightly better hack than that other guy."

Because you can still vote your bottom-line candidate in case all else fails, but you, your neighbors, and everyone else, can discard the bulk of that terminal 2-dimensional mind-set long enough to ask yourselves, "If the world were mo' better, and I wasn't scared of my neighbors' votes, who would I vote for that truly represents what I believe?"

The number of people who are confused by the relatively simple process of the whole thing, unless they're simply feigning confusion, indicates to me why we end up with some of the trash in office that we do. It's really a fairly easy process once it's done a time or 2, and with your town already doing it, that hiccup ought to be mostly out of the way.

I hope your state, and another 47 states, pass it.

xtsho

Excellent.

But be forewarned; if there are groups in your area/state that have benefitted from a quasi-lock on the traditional 2-party shenanigans, they will not let this go unchallenged. Constitutional challenges under your state's constitution, challenges re. the signatures gathered, the wording of the proposed law, etc. etc., etc.

Mary Peltola is the first Dem Native Alaskan female we've had in our federal Congressional House of Representatives ever, though we once had another D many years ago.

The returns might be a bit slower from your rural areas and military members, especially those overseas, and the nay-sayers will cook up bizarre conspiracy theories about that, too, if they're anything like up here.
But in my opinion, it stands to get rid of the whole "YOU only have one vote, and if THAT guy gets in we're screwed, so you -have- to vote for THIS guy instead, even if he's only a slightly better hack than that other guy."

Because you can still vote your bottom-line candidate in case all else fails, but you, your neighbors, and everyone else, can discard the bulk of that terminal 2-dimensional mind-set long enough to ask yourselves, "If the world were mo' better, and I wasn't scared of my neighbors' votes, who would I vote for that truly represents what I believe?"

The number of people who are confused by the relatively simple process of the whole thing, unless they're simply feigning confusion, indicates to me why we end up with some of the trash in office that we do. It's really a fairly easy process once it's done a time or 2, and with your town already doing it, that hiccup ought to be mostly out of the way.

I hope your state, and another 47 states, pass it.

There doesn't seem to be any pushback so far. The biggest concern is people not understanding how it works. We have a pretty good history in Oregon with passing controversial ballot measures. Some don't work out. Like our decriminalization of hard drugs. That turned into a nightmare. Homeless addicts from across the country headed here. "Hey man, I'm going to Oregon. You can smoke meth in front of the police station and all they can do is give you a ticket." Fortunately the legislature rolled that back and on September 1st that went away with overwhelming support from the public.

Sometimes an experiment fails.

shiva82

My mistake. I got your silly posts mixed up. You didn't call me an idiot you called me a faggot. But still with the name calling. That's a sign of a weak mind. Some of us have a higher level of thinking.

To say that the Russians are more credible than Americans is ridiculous. Nonsense is nonsense and you're nonsense is a a level similar to that of donald trump. Saying things without any basis in fact over and over again does not make it true. All it does is reinforce your owned flawed beliefs.

But hey, you be whatever you want to be. Some of us prefer to be intelligent.

Have a nice day you misguided Russian apologist.
classic narcissist

moose eater

There doesn't seem to be any pushback so far. The biggest concern is people not understanding how it works. We have a pretty good history in Oregon with passing controversial ballot measures. Some don't work out. Like our decriminalization of hard drugs. That turned into a nightmare. Homeless addicts from across the country headed here. "Hey man, I'm going to Oregon. You can smoke meth in front of the police station and all they can do is give you a ticket." Fortunately the legislature rolled that back and on September 1st that went away with overwhelming support from the public.

Sometimes an experiment fails.
I just had one of the repeal folks tell me tonight that RCV allows the Division of Elections to apply your vote to a candidate you didn't vote for, and another told me that RCV was responsible for why we have a guy on our ballot this year who's doing a 20-year prison sentence, I believe in NY, and who isn't even an Alaska resident.

The conspiracy nuts seem to have come out of the wood work post-covid, and they seem to have voter I.d.'s and driver's licenses... and firearms, too.

On the bright side, if he won (and I doubt he's even eligible to take the seat) he'd probably be more genuine than the average stuffed shirt, and I can only imagine the parties the guy might throw!

xtsho

I just had one of the repeal folks tell me tonight that RCV allows the Division of Elections to apply your vote to a candidate you didn't vote for, and another told me that RCV was responsible for why we have a guy on our ballot this year who's doing a 20-year prison sentence, I believe in NY, and who isn't even an Alaska resident.

The conspiracy nuts seem to have come out of the wood work post-covid, and they seem to have voter I.d.'s and driver's licenses... and firearms, too.

On the bright side, if he won (and I doubt he's even eligible to take the seat) he'd probably be more genuine than the average stuffed shirt, and I can only imagine the parties the guy might throw!

He shouldn't have even been put on the ballot in the first place. Sounds like the maga lady that's director of Alaska's Division of Elections is playing games. Typical maga, when they can't win they cheat. She claims that the US Constitution doesn't say that a candidate needs to be a resident of the state but Alaska law does have that requirement. It's nothing but a blatant attempt to steal the election from Mary Peltola.

To run for office in Alaska, candidates must meet several residency requirements:

1. U.S. House of Representatives: Candidates must be a resident of Alaska for at least three years and a resident of the district they wish to represent for at least one year immediately preceding the filing for office

Eric Hafner has never been an Alaska resident—and since he's serving a 20-year sentence in a federal prison thousands of miles away, he's unlikely to become one anytime soon.

How, part II. Alaska Division of Elections Director Carol Beecher tells KTUU that under the US Constitution, candidates don't need to be residents of the state where they are seeking a seat in Congress, "but they must become a resident once elected."

audiohi

Veteran
lmaooo-cease-and-assist-v0-nhcamb6nlsnd1.jpeg

moose eater

He shouldn't have even been put on the ballot in the first place. Sounds like the maga lady that's director of Alaska's Division of Elections is playing games. Typical maga, when they can't win they cheat. She claims that the US Constitution doesn't say that a candidate needs to be a resident of the state but Alaska law does have that requirement. It's nothing but a blatant attempt to steal the election from Mary Peltola.

To run for office in Alaska, candidates must meet several residency requirements:

1. U.S. House of Representatives: Candidates must be a resident of Alaska for at least three years and a resident of the district they wish to represent for at least one year immediately preceding the filing for office

Eric Hafner has never been an Alaska resident—and since he's serving a 20-year sentence in a federal prison thousands of miles away, he's unlikely to become one anytime soon.

How, part II. Alaska Division of Elections Director Carol Beecher tells KTUU that under the US Constitution, candidates don't need to be residents of the state where they are seeking a seat in Congress, "but they must become a resident once elected."
There may be a court judgement as early as today removing him from the ballot.

I doubt Dunleavy's Lt. Gov is playing games, as much as they're being their same old incompetent selves. The nutcase's presence on the ballot causes more risk to them than for the incumbent, as far as I can tell.

The Rs I've spoken with as recently as the interactions yesterday, seem to be most concerned that his presence might weaken the vote for their preferred candidates, citing, per one I interacted with yesterday, that "some might vote for him without knowing."

I told her that I guess if he stays on the ballot, and people haven't engaged in their civic -duty- responsibly, to know a sufficient amount about candidates to know when one shouldn't even be on the ballot, then I guess a part of that responsibility rests with the voters. Never mind that even if he won (he can't), he isn't eligible to take the seat with the way the law reads.

And they are upset that another person on the ballot might 'split the vote', which is far less of a likelihood with RCV than it ever was with the traditional system, and a process or tactic they didn't mind manipulating in the past, such as when Mark Begich questionably threw his hat into the ring with Bill Walker in that Governor's race (something I wondered about back then, as to whether the Oilies might've paid him to do that, as Walker was continuing to speak to them ripping off the State), handing that election to our current waste of flesh, Governor Mike Dunleavy. Again, with the traditional system preceding RCV.

They have no functional understanding of the rather simple system that is RCV, and like cave people seeing fire for the first time, are inherently frightened of it, and manufacture myths about it. These are the average Trumpers in this State, and they are wall-to-wall, armed, and registered to vote.

In my ophthalmologist's office the other day, I overheard an elderly disabled woman ask one of them about the '2nd Amendment' embossed on the back of his ball cap. He replied, "It's the right to bear arms, given to us by God himself"

I've been a gun owner since I was 11 years old. I believe in owning firearms for all sort of purposes. But no Supreme Deity wrote that into the Bill of Rights, none has ever approached me and said, "Nice piece," and I'm pretty sure that in the KJ Bible, there's no verse saying, "Thou shalt have immense and amazing firepower." Call me skeptical.

Every now and again, I consider the possible benefits from implementing an IQ test or assessment of cognitive function in order to obtain a voter ID card and a driver's license. I know Tommy Jefferson wouldn't approve, based on his comments concerning this conundrum in a generic sense, but....

xtsho

America and the world = winners

Soviet Union = losers

Try as he might, pootin will never bring back the Soviet empire. Russia is a failed state.

xtsho

There may be a court judgement as early as today removing him from the ballot.

I doubt Dunleavy's Lt. Gov is playing games, as much as they're being their same old incompetent selves. The nutcase's presence on the ballot causes more risk to them than for the incumbent, as far as I can tell.

The Rs I've spoken with as recently as the interactions yesterday, seem to be most concerned that his presence might weaken the vote for their preferred candidates, citing, per one I interacted with yesterday, that "some might vote for him without knowing."

I told her that I guess if he stays on the ballot, and people haven't engaged in their civic -duty- responsibly, to know a sufficient amount about candidates to know when one shouldn't even be on the ballot, then I guess a part of that responsibility rests with the voters. Never mind that even if he won (he can't), he isn't eligible to take the seat with the way the law reads.

And they are upset that another person on the ballot might 'split the vote', which is far less of a likelihood with RCV than it ever was with the traditional system, and a process or tactic they didn't mind manipulating in the past, such as when Mark Begich questionably threw his hat into the ring with Bill Walker in that Governor's race (something I wondered about back then, as to whether the Oilies might've paid him to do that, as Walker was continuing to speak to them ripping off the State), handing that election to our current waste of flesh, Governor Mike Dunleavy. Again, with the traditional system preceding RCV.

They have no functional understanding of the rather simple system that is RCV, and like cave people seeing fire for the first time, are inherently frightened of it, and manufacture myths about it. These are the average Trumpers in this State, and they are wall-to-wall, armed, and registered to vote.

In my ophthalmologist's office the other day, I overheard an elderly disabled woman ask one of them about the '2nd Amendment' embossed on the back of his ball cap. He replied, "It's the right to bear arms, given to us by God himself"

I've been a gun owner since I was 11 years old. I believe in owning firearms for all sort of purposes. But no Supreme Deity wrote that into the Bill of Rights, none has ever approached me and said, "Nice piece," and I'm pretty sure that in the KJ Bible, there's no verse saying, "Thou shalt have immense and amazing firepower." Call me skeptical.

Every now and again, I consider the possible benefits from implementing an IQ test or assessment of cognitive function in order to obtain a voter ID card and a driver's license. I know Tommy Jefferson wouldn't approve, based on his comments concerning this conundrum in a generic sense, but....

That Elections Division Director knows damn well that the states choose how they elect their Representatives yet she claims the Constitution does not state that a candidate must be a resident of the state. She's correct, but it leaves that up to the state. In Alaska you have to have been a resident for 3 years and a resident of the district for 1. Her refusal to remove that guy from the ballot is ridiculous as he is ineligible under Alaska state law. I don't see how the courts don't find in favor of removing him from the ballot.

PadawanWarrior

That Elections Division Director knows damn well that the states choose how they elect their Representatives yet she claims the Constitution does not state that a candidate must be a resident of the state. She's correct, but it leaves that up to the state. In Alaska you have to have been a resident for 3 years and a resident of the district for 1. Her refusal to remove that guy from the ballot is ridiculous as he is ineligible under Alaska state law. I don't see how the courts don't find in favor of removing him from the ballot.
Are you for voter ID checks? Making sure that only US citizens are voting in our national elections? Like the SAVE (Safeguard American Voter Eligibility) Act.

xtsho

Are you for voter ID checks? Making sure that only US citizens are voting in our national elections? Like the SAVE (Safeguard American Voter Eligibility) Act.

What the hell does that have to do with some maga nutcase in Alaska refusing to remove a candidate from the ballot when Alaska state law states that you need to be a resident for 3 years?

And that maga nonsense about non-citizens voting is just echo chamber garbage. The majority of election fraud cases that have been proven were committed by Republicans.

moose eater

Again, even if he won, he is ineligible to take the seat.

The guy has run in other states he wasn't a resident in, as well. I guess it's a hobby for him. Something to do while in prison, I guess.. Beats bad cable television. and I don't think they let them play pool anymore.

But if you look into some of the Dunleavy administration's legal stumbles, it's clear that the guy is incompetent, and so are -many- of the picks he has for his cabinet.

He was on a solid path to be recalled during his first term, then COVID struck, and petitioning became a bit harder. But they'd gathered signatures earlier to remove him faster than for any previous politico.

moose eater

What the hell does that have to do with some maga nutcase in Alaska refusing to remove a candidate from the ballot when Alaska state law states that you need to be a resident for 3 years?

And that maga nonsense about non-citizens voting is just echo chamber garbage. The majority of election fraud cases that have been proven were committed by Republicans.
When Dunleavy was at the peak of dealing with a serious recall effort, he was hanging out with Trump and the Heritage Foundation in DC. Seriously. Priorities, you know.

He was literally assuming he had a spot in Trump's cabinet. Nope.... not yet.