What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 US Presidential Election

Who will become next President in U.S. what do you think?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 35 57.4%
  • Joe Biden

Votes: 26 42.6%

• Total voters

So Hai

there is a shock wave traveling with the bullet that would have caused damage beyond the path of the actual bullet.
so it was the shock wave that caused damage not the actual bullet, ok. he tilted his head, and it swirled right by didn’t even touch him it was just the wind. what a disappointment, indeed, for some.

audiohi

Veteran
so i guess what we saw live really didn't happen???

trumps lifts falling out of his shoes?

we can see in the photo that he didn't have much damage to his ear. a little bandaid would suffice if you weren't trying to trick your followers into taping maxi pads to their ears

idiots

greyfader

so it was the shock wave that caused damage not the actual bullet, ok. he tilted his head, and it swirled right by didn’t even touch him it was just the wind. what a disappointment, indeed, for some.
no moron, it was the glass that caused what little damage he sustained. but, if the bullet had actually touched him the shock wave from that bullet would have caused additional tissue damage beyond just the hole from the bullet. you don't know shit about ballistics. the shooter fired a 5.56 nato round with an average of 1478 ft lbs of energy. when a bullet travels through a substance it is pushing a shock wave radiating outward from the path of the bullet as it goes through the substance. this shock wave creates additional damage in soft tissue. it creates a wound track that is usually much larger in diameter than the bullet itself.

greyfader

1721347862332.png

as you can see there is no hole in the ear. the ear is entirely intact and his hair is not even ruffled. it will all come out in the official reports. we already have an informal statement from the PA state police that he was not hit by the bullet. we will be getting the emergency room report as well. the teleprompter was shattered. if a 5.56 bullet had touched his ear we would be seeing a lot more blood than this. even a small nick would have bled profusely.

greyfader

here is the same round the shooter used fired into a clay block. the destructive force of that round is radically out of proportion with the size of the bullet. how do you think that happens? shockwave!

forward to 2:15 to get an idea of the force we are talking about.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no moron, it was the glass that caused what little damage he sustained. but, if the bullet had actually touched him the shock wave from that bullet would have caused additional tissue damage beyond just the hole from the bullet. you don't know shit about ballistics. the shooter fired a 5.56 nato round with an average of 1478 ft lbs of energy. when a bullet travels through a substance it is pushing a shock wave radiating outward from the path of the bullet as it goes through the substance. this shock wave creates additional damage in soft tissue. it creates a wound track that is usually much larger in diameter than the bullet itself.
Are you sure he was using 5.56 and not 223 ammo. Still considerable hitting power with 223. Was the glass of the teleprompter broken?

moose eater

here is the same round the shooter used fired into a clay block. the destructive force of that round is radically out of proportion with the size of the bullet. how do you think that happens? shockwave!

The .223/Nato 5.56mm is known to sometimes have a tumbling affect, which is why what is simply a high speed .22 caliber bullet can cause so much damage.

Compared to the traditional, pre-MacNamara .308/Nato 7.62 x 57 it's a horrible round for humans in many ways, and the AR-15 is anything but an accurate target rifle.

A serious shooter hitting a target from a short distance of about 130 yards (or MUCH further out) would've either used a long-range 7mm magnum or a .308/Nato 7.62x57.

But he borrowed the thing from his dad and went with what he had on hand.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Correct me if wrong but this seemingly shows a 55 grain 223 and not a 5.56 Nato

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The .223/Nato 5.56mm is known to sometimes have a tumbling affect, which is why what is simply a high speed .22 caliber bullet can cause so much damage.

Compared to the traditional, pre-MacNamara .308/Nato 7.62 x 57 it's a horrible round for humans in many ways, and the AR-15 is anything but an accurate target rifle.

A serious shooter hitting a target from a short distance of about 130 yards (or MUCH further out) would've either used a long-range 7mm magnum or a .308/Nato 7.62x57.

But he borrowed the thing from his dad and went with what he had on hand.
I had a mini 14 - 223 which was unbelievably accurate.

moose eater

I had a mini-14 stainless and another class III selective-fire in .223. They weren't like shotgun-slug-inaccurate, but 1" groups at 200 yards or further out is not what they're known or made for.

Blowback bolt weapons are often far less accurate than a bolt action rifle, even when discussing the gas-operated blowbacks like the AK-47, Krinkov, or the AR-15, CAR-15/XM-177E shorties, or the Ruger AC556 or AC556F, etc., all of which I'm familiar with.

greyfader

• Pressure
    5.56 NATO cartridges are loaded at a higher pressure than .223 Remington cartridges, around 58,000 pounds-per-square-inch (psi) compared to 55,000 psi. This is because 5.56 NATO chambers have a longer throat, allowing for one more grain of powder to be loaded. 5.56 NATO cases also have thicker brass walls to handle the higher pressure, resulting in less interior volume than .223 cases.

Are 5.56 and .223 ammo interchangeable?

The short answer is that you can shoot . 223 Rem. ammo out of a gun chambered for 5.56 NATO, but you cannot safely shoot 5.56 ammo out of a gun that's only marked for .223

so, there is not much difference between the two. the 5.56 punches through light steel better than a .223. only 3000 psi difference in pressure. into a human we're talking about degrees of dead.

as moose said, it wouldn't be the choice of a trained sniper. trump is lucky to be here nonetheless.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
we had no problem shooting 2 inch groups at 100 yds in basic while shooting open-sighted Viet Nam "battle-rattle" armory reworks at Lackland.
correct twist rate barrel per bullet weight being used is critical. i always liked the looks of the mini 14.

greyfader

i always wanted one. i like carbines for close hunting. some states won't allow deer hunting with less than .30 cal so i have owned 2 30 cal carbines at different times. pretty good for deer in dense brush at less than 100 yards.