What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

linde

Ok so it was an Afghani with a skunk aroma profile. Different than Sam's Skunk #1 hybrid, sure.
Yes we cannot grow sativa's outdoors in northern Michigan unless they're Durban or Trainwreck. It was full on body buzz couch lock with just enough great euphoria. My father and I still talk about the weed. I tell him that he just got lucky and never realized at the time how lucky we were to run into those genetics. It was definitely cool having a hippy dad growing up. He got me into growing in around 88'. With that Afghani and the Friesland..so ya my cannabis standards are pretty high these days lol.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok so it was an Afghani with a skunk aroma profile. Different than Sam's Skunk #1 hybrid, sure.
All legit Skunk comes from Afghan

No Skunk known was bred with Sativa x Sativa and Skunk was born, none.

Skunk is a Afghan pheno always has been.

Like said the old Skunk would lay you out Indica style and I been saying it for years , would Stink the house out like Cheese or Sour Diesel first time ever smelling/smoking it, and I'm talking about the first ever skunk flower i see in mid 90's around 94 for first time , of course it was around years before my time as was any Afghan import , or People being stationed over there in 1979 for war etc etc so Hash , seeds and anything else come back with people stationed over there since 1979 very close to when Skunk was first discovered

Skunk was Afghan period.
People x whatever Male they had to that Afghan, and Skunk they found was the Afghan leaning pheno, no specific work done by anyone , as if it was where is it now ?

eastcoastjoe

No. They didn't. I can almost guarantee they didn't come from you.

There are a lot of circles in this community. A lot of them overlap. But not once have I ever heard you mentioned or attached to anything I work with. Not trying to burst your bubble it's just facts.

Jetdro on overgrow ? Jet55c99 on instagram ? That ain’t you ?

CocoNut 420

As Rocket Soul said your light is responsible for the purpling, since I switched to LED I have a lot more purple buds, except in the summer run. I have 2 plants who were intense purple on the run before with colder temps but on this current run they are green mostly,there is a few spot of purple on the flowers and the underside of the leaves are totally purple.
About the "gene pool" in 2024, there all sort of cannabis easily available, autos, fems, regs, hybrids, pure sativa, pure indica, landrace, CBD, many niches in those different offerings. Most who complain about the gene pool only see it through the mainstream seeds business who is only a fraction of the global gene pool. With all the different networks of growers who specialized in rare cannabis strains, heirlooms,landraces,clone elites and all the hobbyist who make their own seeds, there is unlimited possibilities to breed, grow,smoke great cannabis today. Stop focusing on the 3/4 genetics used ad nauseam in the mainstream seeds business, there is so much more available today so easily to all of us here.There is no reason to complain of such great situation.And if all those different type of seeds are not enough yet, you can go strain hunt.
This isn't a seasonal or lighting thing for me, I've only recently made the change to led from hid, with hid I noticed the same thing summer and winter and yeah it's the same with led
It's summer here atm and purple is already showing at 5 wks
20240809_190159.jpg

20240809_190047.jpg

It's just the start of it.

eastcoastjoe

Thats what seed companies do , we offer you a slice of that good pizza we are eating , you want the whole Pizza ?.

These days you need to guard your genetics to a certain extent or some newbie or a company who has many investors will beat you to the punch or with the marketing campaign and hype machine they have we will never get any credit for our work.

You guys are taking what I said out of context. I personally don’t need or want anything. I’m set.
My comments are to the people who are crying about genepool diversity and the current offerings. If those people are so concerned about the status of the genepool, do something about it. That was my point.

Rocket Soul

As Rocket Soul said your light is responsible for the purpling, since I switched to LED I have a lot more purple buds, except in the summer run. I have 2 plants who were intense purple on the run before with colder temps but on this current run they are green mostly,there is a few spot of purple on the flowers and the underside of the leaves are totally purple.
About the "gene pool" in 2024, there all sort of cannabis easily available, autos, fems, regs, hybrids, pure sativa, pure indica, landrace, CBD, many niches in those different offerings. Most who complain about the gene pool only see it through the mainstream seeds business who is only a fraction of the global gene pool. With all the different networks of growers who specialized in rare cannabis strains, heirlooms,landraces,clone elites and all the hobbyist who make their own seeds, there is unlimited possibilities to breed, grow,smoke great cannabis today. Stop focusing on the 3/4 genetics used ad nauseam in the mainstream seeds business, there is so much more available today so easily to all of us here.There is no reason to complain of such great situation.And if all those different type of seeds are not enough yet, you can go strain hunt.
Im not really saying leds cause it or at least not only leds. Afaik the photopigment causing purple is Anthocyanin. Same as in red and purple stems. One main way of getting it happening is to give intense radiation without enough high temps (googlable as high irradiation response, or may high irradiance reaction, cant quite remember ) Also believe you can get the purpling of stems with too cold water. Theres a lot of noise about nutes and P i think, which may well be aswell. Not seen this in a clear cut way myself, only that purple may come when the plants not quite happy.

We typically see it around time of fade/flush but its probably already in the leaves already; when the plant starts to fade and remove chlorophyll from the leaves the green wont cover it up anymore; you get a purple/yellow fade with really nice fade/fall colors. Sometimes it appears as black leaves, suppose thats when youre not getting out all the green. Our animal cakes does this even if we flush the shit out of them. But they are always naturally dark green.

You can see similar in outdoor plants and leaves if your in good outdoor light conditions, youll always find more purpling on the side that gets more sun in the summer, and you see if in fall leaves.

Theres probably other genetic mechanisms playing into this, especially with regards to buds. Weve never had those fully purple buds from this, only purple sugar leaves. Main thing is that i dont think it is a one thing phenomenon; probably parallel processes both in leaves and buds.

We saw rarely under HID but quite consistently under led, as long as we flush properly. UV irradiation seems to get this going a bit easier.

Anyways were getting of topic with purple here, its not really something super relevant to current genepool.
Best vibes and peace :)

JetLife175

Veteran
Posts look awful similar but ok 👍🏼
I have zero reason to lie. If we had dealings in the past I would most certainly cop to it. I don't go on overgrow, and my IG handle has nothing to do with my screen name here.

And just to clarify the cuts I'm mainly referring to are the OG and the Shoreline. I sourced both out in the real world. Josh D personally handed me a cut of his kush so I don't know where you would come into the picture. And the shoreline was from a dear friend in Texas. None of them were found online. I like to get my stuff from people that actually know a specific cultivar and I can vouch for that. I don't really take alot of stuff in because I've been burned on fake cuts so many times. This is why I keep things close to the chest.

eastcoastjoe

I have zero reason to lie. If we had dealings in the past I would most certainly cop to it. I don't go on overgrow, and my IG handle has nothing to do with my screen name here.

And just to clarify the cuts I'm mainly referring to are the OG and the Shoreline. I sourced both out in the real world. Josh D personally handed me a cut of his kush so I don't know where you would come into the picture. And the shoreline was from a dear friend in Texas. None of them were found online. I like to get my stuff from people that actually know a specific cultivar and I can vouch for that. I don't really take alot of stuff in because I've been burned on fake cuts so many times. This is why I keep things close to the chest.

Wasn’t saying that at all dude 🤝

eastcoastjoe

Actually you were.

The whole "they probably came from me" and assuming I was someone I wasn't.

Thanks for being the person to drive this thread off the rails.

can we get back to actual discussion now?

Hey I’m not the one derailing it. Read back. There’s only a few people only came here to stir the pot.

led05

Chasing The Present
It's not a "we", it's one person, Sam, who said he did that in the development of Skunk #1. To match his tastes and breeding goals.

And why did no one else keep the roadkill skunk around? Well I recall Tom Hill saying in his Potcast episode that (in his opinion) it disappeared quite simply because the high was lacking. Matter of opinion sure, if you liked it so much why didn't you keep it around? What kind of odor control were you using in the 80s btw? Were people even on ozone generators yet?
lol please don’t inflate Sam’s ego any more than it already is - haha :)

A lot of people weighing in here on Skunk; I wonder if they even grew up in Skunk country like many of us to know the various smells coming from a skunk based on numerous factors, distance a huge one, the smell changes wildly y’all - ever been sprayed or your dogs…?

You ever hear the song video killed the radio star…?

NL & Bubblegum killed off skunk (they were the new fad & risk in growing them significantly less); those of us there & whom lived it remember it well - skunk was in everything domestic in the 80’s & into early 90’s then poof it was gone, overlap the timelines…

PS: Tom is a drunk muppet that a long time ago grew huge plants and had the balls to post them; man has he rested on them laurels for decades !!

PPS: his haze is filled with deep chunk, all of us in the know including him know that !

The truth can hurt but it remains the same

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
Hey I’m not the one derailing it. Read back. There’s only a few people only came here to stir the pot.
You've told people to reread what you've typed twice now in this thread. Maybe it's you that just doesn't get it?

This was really productive until you felt a need to defend yourself. This is an opinion based discussion. Be open minded or stop posting in this thread. It's simple.

led05

Chasing The Present
Yes we cannot grow sativa's outdoors in northern Michigan unless they're Durban or Trainwreck. It was full on body buzz couch lock with just enough great euphoria. My father and I still talk about the weed. I tell him that he just got lucky and never realized at the time how lucky we were to run into those genetics. It was definitely cool having a hippy dad growing up. He got me into growing in around 88'. With that Afghani and the Friesland..so ya my cannabis standards are pretty high these days lol.
Friesland is still @ my friend, plenty of knockoffs but some I trust still have the real deal; them Canadians are at least good for a couple things - ha

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts