What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

CharlesU Farley

High resin coverage doesn't mean high THC.
This is an absolute fact. And one that 90% of cannabis growers simply do not understand, unless they've cultivated and consumed their own product for decades and actually took the time to observe their plants... and not spend all of their time doing measurements and fucking calculations. ;)

I digress.

The other illuminating fact all us old fucking dinosaurs know, it ain't just the THC content but all the other wonderful cannabinoids that mix in with it, that makes a specific cannabis plant really special. :eek:

led05

Chasing The Present
Landraces DO need to be protected and thankfully there are companies dedicated to the preservation of these building block lines.. @dubi and his team at Ace Seeds is the first company that comes to mind. That said, I like seeing crosses of heirlooms crossed to "modern" strains, many interesting hybrids..

Steele
haha - if only you knew the truth & a handful of the old vibes heads to set the record straight, luckily some of us do ;)

led05

Chasing The Present
omg. Recessives are easily bred out? You have obviously not tried to do that in real life. Dominant is easy to breed out, because you can see if it is there, or not. Recessives hide, and they hide for generations...and then pop out so unexpectedly. I come from generations of registered animal raising family, and i've seen this in many circumstances. Have purchased breeding stock that was calculated to be 99+% certain to be free of a certain disease...after importation of my new critter, an overseas sister to this animal turned up with progeny that had the disease. Suddenly, my stock was over 50% risk to carry the gene.
It's sooo much easier to breed out the 'brown eyes'...blue eye to blue eye is VERY rarely going to result in brown. Brown to brown is easily able to produce 25% blue. (We've found that in eye color, it isn't REALLY that simple, but it is the 'go to' for simple explantions.)

There's a phrase that's been in my circles for decades:"Recessives are forever!"
Boom, miss ya girl - great post !

xtsho

I've never found a 20 week plant I wanted to keep. Exteme flowering times can be just as bad as fast flowering times. I always end up tossing those out. Most of the best plants I've grown are in the 80-120 day window with a few exceptions. Under 60 day plants seem to have similar chemotypes with a few exceptions..Breeding plants specifically for fast flowering was a huge quality hit IMO. We did not have quick flowering plants growing up. +90% of the plants we grew were Sativa hybrids with an ave flowering time of 100 days. The best of those plants were far better than the best of what we have today IMO.

I don't think high THC was part of it. It was how frosty the plants looked. High resin coverage doesn't mean high THC.

Some CBD strains are as frosty as anything you'll ever see and have virtually no THC.

eastcoastjoe

Exceptional, factual post !!

Yes it is. One thing I find fascinating about that , is these old dudes who complain about the genepool, there not even out here contributing.
Most of them are the biggest hoarders in the community. So I find myself thinking, why even say anything. Do they like to just complain on the internet ? Why not make things available to the public instead of complain about why the public isn’t doing xyz

led05

Chasing The Present
Yes it is. One thing I find fascinating about that , is these old dudes who complain about the genepool, there not even out here contributing.
Most of them are the biggest hoarders in the community. So I find myself thinking, why even say anything. Do they like to just complain on the internet ? Why not make things available to the public instead of complain about why the public isn’t doing xyz
My best guess is they’ve been burned over and over and over again so finally became reluctant to share and jaded (I’m not making excuses for anyone), the cycles repeat, much like many things in life.

For instance many of the largest banks @ right now everyone praises (some decades old) began on deceit, lies & theft; that said this takes nothing away from their business acumen nor impact of making things widely available & I wish them continued success - it’s just too bad the space rewards such poor behaviors and begs for tall tales, unicorns & pixie dust type stories for the origins of their seed vs what often is in fact the simple reality, generous people sharing things they love & paying it forwards; somebody has to commercialize it - I get that fully

eastcoastjoe

My best guess is they’ve been burned over and over and over again so finally became reluctant to share and jaded (I’m not making excuses for anyone), the cycles repeat, much like many things in life

That’s what I mean though, it kind doesn’t make sense. If a person is really worried about the preservation of the genepool, to the point they get online and bash what people are doing in current times, why worry about what someone might do with genetics you give them ?
If the goal is to preserve genetics, why try to keep the genetics exclusive ? Is almost the same as people reversing clones so they can sell you the seeds but will never let anyone access the clone. either way it does nothing to help move cannabis forward

Rocket Soul

My best guess is they’ve been burned over and over and over again so finally became reluctant to share and jaded (I’m not making excuses for anyone), the cycles repeat, much like many things in life.

For instance many of the largest banks @ right now everyone praises (some decades old) began on deceit, lies & theft; that said this takes nothing away from their business acumen nor impact of making things widely available & I wish them continued success - it’s just too bad the space rewards such poor behaviors and begs for tall tales, unicorns & pixie dust type stories for the origins of their seed vs what often is in fact the simple reality, generous people sharing things they love & paying it forwards; somebody has to commercialize it - I get that fully
Amen on that, ive heard it told here in Spain aswell. Theres always someone that gets left behind, the easiest way to improve profits is to to reduce the parties sharing them.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
You were just ragging on this old dude for doing just that.
Look in the mirror and the answer is you.
👍🏾

eastcoastjoe

You were just ragging on this old dude for doing just that.
Look in the mirror and the answer is you.
👍🏾

I’m not talking about me, my toolbox is full lol. I’m talking about all you dudes complaining about the genepool. Might want to reread what I said

JetLife175

Veteran
There are people that have preserved things not to go forward but to keep the past. I'm one of them. I've shared mostly everything I have unless I've been told to do so otherwise. And even those plants have been shared to an extent.

I'll say this. Some of the cuts I've had possession of that I haven't been able to talk much about is because I don't want to ruin the reputation of the person I sourced it from. A tight lip goes a really long way in this crazy community. There are some people that are magnets for genetics, and those guys have people they trust to keep things around. It's not about hoarding or not sharing, it's about playing your part in the big scheme of things.

A lot of people on this board are running a cut or cuts that came from me indirectly. I share, just not in the conventional way.

CocoNut 420

What's the story with purple genetics, everything commercial turns purple these days, it might look pretty in photos but it never was desirable beyond a novelty.

I've had some nice purple it's not all crap but it's nothing on green imo and the opinion of others I trust.
20240809_192816.jpg

They're not even out of wk5.

What's happened to green?

goingrey

What's the story with purple genetics, everything commercial turns purple these days, it might look pretty in photos but it never was desirable beyond a novelty.

I've had some nice purple it's not all crap but it's nothing on green imo and the opinion of others I trust.
View attachment 19045707
They're not even out of wk5.

What's happened to green?
The bag appeal of purple weed is money but I don't think green weed is at the risk of going extinct any time soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts