What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This is a great topic of discussion. I have to say older people will have more experiences with the gene pool over the years. It's just common sense. If you have never experienced weed from the 80s then how would you know. The best from the 80s is above and beyond what the best is now.

Growing up in the 70s we had weed that was extremely potent with terps that would stay on the pallet for a long time. The quality of the resin was superb. When was the last time resin would fog up the bag?.. I've not seen that in at least 30 years. Some batches were so strong in flavor it was impossible to hold in a small toke. It's rare to find weed like this today.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey off topic (or maybe on) but do you have the bubba cut that rarely if ever goes above 18? but its just the nicest picture of bubba ever made, I quite miss the old pre 98 bubba
Not sure what you mean about 'above 18' sorry if i'm being dim.
I got it 10+ years ago and back then there was only one pre-98 bubba . Now we have others that are supposed to the 'real' one etc etc. I'm in UK and this was the only one ever to go round here...
VG

cbotany

Veteran
Not sure what you mean about 'above 18' sorry if i'm being dim.
I got it 10+ years ago and back then there was only one pre-98 bubba . Now we have others that are supposed to the 'real' one etc etc. I'm in UK and this was the only one ever to go round here...
VG
It really didn't go above 18% thc Like it wasn't extremely strong.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This needs another reminder. I use this quote in my sig.
The THC level does matter in general, the higher the better, but it is the terpenes that make a 10% THC weed with the right terpenes better than a 20 % THC with all the wrong terpenes. It is not the cannabinoids. The terpenes also determine the type of high.
-SamS.

CannaZen

So I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread.. I'm new to this not growing but being on the Internet speaking to other growers and stuff but I'm really worried about a seed order I'd placed...

has been sitting in customs in the UK for over a week now..

I need to know if I should start taking down my tents, finding a temp home for my moms dads and clear out my stash etc as although I'm just growing for myself(medical use and growing is therapy in itsself) I have quite a large set up one 5 x 10 a 4x 4 and 3x3 3 and high plant count (clones. Mom's dad's probably 1000s of seeds f1s f2 3s etc etc.. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bricking it and it's for this reason I've never ordered seed online or even so much as used a fourm..

the last few months I decided I'd join the community to share the knowledge I've gained to help beginner growers and smokers..
I've order maybe 10 packs of seed from different US breeders and have received all no problem.. used greenpoint to cop thier regular seed and had gotten all my orders safe and sound now this last one has been in customs for a week.. absolutely shitting myself...
Look if they're coming after you they'd also be coming after us, there's millions of public growers they'd come after too it's legal in d.c. but under biden I don't know they would intercept seeds, seedsman now only has location in u.s. for us with crap seeds. Idk if I can order international from them. But look my first seed order was Intercepted 2015. I was afraid and discouraged but I got a t-shirt with the fed confiscation tape. Later I began ordering seeds and it was in plain packaging, not hidden. These days your all good. :)

Pinetar

I still have plenty of stinky roses, heirloom tomatoes, all types heirloom vegetables, fruits, herbs - they are widely available … you just have to grow them yourself, roses lost their olfactory funk cuz some breeders focused on the visual & ease of growth vs the odors, sad for sure damn double knockout swag rose shit - ha

Here’s a few Tommy’s, numerous different heirloom varietals

View attachment 19046913

View attachment 19046914

View attachment 19046915

Tomatoes need natural sun & earth to taste proper, there’s no exceptions
You must really like tomatoes, cool stuff

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The THC level does matter in general, the higher the better, but it is the terpenes that make a 10% THC weed with the right terpenes better than a 20 % THC with all the wrong terpenes. It is not the cannabinoids. The terpenes also determine the type of high.
-SamS.
:yeahthats(y)

PetePrice

-SamS.

I wonder how it does work though as terpenes have no effect at the receptors, so how is it on the metabolism? or do the terpenes have their own biological activity?
So is it all just sensory with humans? as in smells can alter our moods etc

JetLife175

Veteran
I wonder how it does work though as terpenes have no effect at the receptors, so how is it on the metabolism? or do the terpenes have their own biological activity?
From what I understand in laymen's terms... the terpenes play a role on effectt of the cannabinoid, not exactly sure what's happening inside the body but I do know that there is something to be said about terpenes paired with cannabinoids. You can almost tailor the effect to your own needs with specific terpenes.

PetePrice

From what I understand in laymen's terms... the terpenes play a role on effectt of the cannabinoid, not exactly sure what's happening inside the body but I do know that there is something to be said about terpenes paired with cannabinoids. You can almost tailor the effect to your own needs with specific terpenes.

with you saying about tailoring your own needs it could well be a sensory reaction that's different for everyone then...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@Hammerhead What would your suggestions be for the next generation of breeders to get more bold flavors back out?

The best way is to mentor people with examples. For me It's not easy to describe traits in words. The state of the genepool has made examples harder to find. Having someone who knows by your side is invaluable. It all started with longer flowering plants. IMO Sativa genes are a must when looking for these traits. All we grew were Sativa hybrids. Fast flowering plants have never produced my best finds. Let plants go longer if they are still healthy and growing. Good weed from fast plants is not hard to find. Exceptional weed always takes longer to grow. IMO is why not many find them.

The effects of flavonoids/aroma will enhance the high type. Couple that with high potency you have a lifetime keeper. Flavors and Aromas affect our lives daily. When we inhale scents, the molecules travel through the olfactory system and interact with the brain’s limbic system, which is responsible for emotions, memory, and behavior..This is why certain smells can evoke memories, trigger emotions, or even influence our mood and behavior. The same comes into play with Flavors.

So I'm not sure if I'm on the right thread.. I'm new to this not growing but being on the Internet speaking to other growers and stuff but I'm really worried about a seed order I'd placed...

has been sitting in customs in the UK for over a week now..

I need to know if I should start taking down my tents, finding a temp home for my moms dads and clear out my stash etc as although I'm just growing for myself(medical use and growing is therapy in itsself) I have quite a large set up one 5 x 10 a 4x 4 and 3x3 3 and high plant count (clones. Mom's dad's probably 1000s of seeds f1s f2 3s etc etc.. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't bricking it and it's for this reason I've never ordered seed online or even so much as used a fourm..

the last few months I decided I'd join the community to share the knowledge I've gained to help beginner growers and smokers..
I've order maybe 10 packs of seed from different US breeders and have received all no problem.. used greenpoint to cop thier regular seed and had gotten all my orders safe and sound now this last one has been in customs for a week.. absolutely shitting myself...

If you're in the USA there is no need to order seeds from the UK anymore. Cannabis seeds are not illegal in the US or the UK. They are hemp seeds and are Fed legal. Cannabis in the US is now a scheduled III drug. The only concern is not getting the seeds.

Last edited:

Nannymouse

Cousins crossed with cousins....what happens if humans impregnate their cousins?? Well same concept with cannabis.
"We" were bottlenecked for about 100 THOUSAND years, and by bottlenecked, I mean @1300 people at any given time in that 100 thousand years. Look at how 'diverse' that we became, after that! Just search for "Human bottleneck events".

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Its declined harshly since the golden era of the 2010's.

The 2010's landraces and heirlooms were opened up to the public. The One and Blue Orca were commanded to be freely accessible to anyone capable of growing them. Pure Hazes, old Skunks, pure Africans and Thais, A5/C5, true F1's, well-planned Bx's and IX's.

Now, many things are being crossed with autos and or femmed lines in order to appeal to rookie Rec companies who are growing as per their investor's suggestions/commandments.
Cant find The One or Blue Orca anywhere (Swami's white-label guy Gascannistan won't release them because $$$). GSC polyhybrids being passed off as OG.
Big companies working on kill genes to make cannabis sterile for everyone but themselves.
Medical cannabis is a thing of the past. Cannatonic and Harlequin have disappeared, as has RSO/FECO. Patients cant afford meds anymore and trim is expensive (and pesticide ridden).
The 2010's were the glory days of organic, chemical free cannabis. Now, everyone is using petrol chemicals to pass lab testing.
Fake cuts are more circulated than the real thing (where's Sour D, pre98 Bubba not from s1's).

Having lost my vault to a fore a few yrs ago, Ive been searching for legit genetics from seedbanks and man, its discouraging.
I miss the days of Seedbay, Cannabiogen, Gypsy's seeds from his safari's, that stellar Dreadbread cut....

Maybe I'm biased?
I have wondered if big companies fund online clone sellers to sell HLVD/Fusarium infected clones to ruin peoples gene pools. About 4 years ago bought a number of excellent clone only plants, and one came in with spider mites and killed everything. Since then, ordered 25 clones from 5 vendors and all died from fusarium, within days of arrival to 2 months later depending on temperature.

Latest posts

Latest posts