What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

mudballs

Hardy-Weinberg principle states that in a population, allele frequencies of a gene will remain the same from one generation to the next if there are no evolutionary agents
now, this correlates to when i said it takes time to propogate through a population. One plant, maybe a few do better in new climate, but not all...so many plants will still be in Hardy-Weinberg state, no change. Massive pollen overwhelming the few plants carrying change.
But, if you hand pick those out of field, start getting involved in the mating process, it wont be 6 gens will it until it does better in new environ...it will be much much faster.

eastcoastjoe

Hardy-Weinberg principle states that in a population, allele frequencies of a gene will remain the same from one generation to the next if there are no evolutionary agents
now, this correlates to when i said it takes time to propogate through a population. One plant, maybe a few do better in new climate, but not all...so many plants will still be in Hardy-Weinberg state, no change. Massive pollen overwhelming the few plants carrying change.
But, if you hand pick those out of field, start getting involved in the mating process, it wont be 6 gens will it until it does better in new environ...it will be much much faster.

Man, you are seriously reaching

eastcoastjoe

Earlier you tried switching it up talking about clones when the dude was speaking about a landrace seed population, now you’re back to saying what exactly ? Your demoted , officially an apprentice now until further notice

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Guys just ignore the BS. Real world experience can be way different than what books tell us. There's a lot of what I've read that doesn't jive with what I see.

A landrace when grown out of its natural environment will express differently, that's a fact.. When looking at one compare the climate to yours. In most cases, it will not perform the same. A landrace is best used for breeding IMO. Next level quality is extremely hard to find today due to many reasons. War on drugs and poor breeding are 2 big ones. All of my next level finds had genetics from the 70-80s in them. That happened more frequently 4 decades ago.

mudballs

Now, the clone thing...you take a clone to new environ...grow, cut new clone from plant, regrow in new environ...idk how fast or slow that change, adaptation, acclimatisation will take. It i confess is an unknown but i dont think they are locked...old timers growing same cut over and over probably grab cuts from healthier looking plants compared to one that got shocked or something and all stunted...same clone grown out from mother plant, but you dont use that crappy plant to continue clones do you

cbotany

Veteran
Guys just ignore the BS. Real world experience can be way different than what books tell us. There's a lot of what I've read that doesn't jive with what I see.

A landrace when grown out of its natural environment will express differently, that's a fact.. When looking at one compare the climate to yours. In most cases, it will not perform the same. A landrace is best used for breeding IMO. Next level quality is extremely hard to find today due to many reasons. War on drugs and poor breeding are 2 big ones. All of my next level finds had genetics from the 70-80s in them. That happened more frequently 4 decades ago.
I don't know if you follow the breeding circles in the nordic regions/bc but some of the older genetics stayed in those areas, they've changed a bit due to inbreeding adapting but some goodies and old old landraces can be found there, a german guy had alot of sativas/rare strains I don't know what happened to him, but his strains should come out of the woodworks in the next few years.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I take clones from healthy mothers every 6 months. Unhealthy plants in my garden don't happen. I put a lot of effort into growing healthy plants. I hope others also take cuts from healthy plants. Cuts from unhealthy plants are a big reason a virus can propagate.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know if you follow the breeding circles in the nordic regions/bc but some of the older genetics stayed in those areas, they've changed a bit due to inbreeding adapting but some goodies and old old landraces can be found there, a german guy had alot of sativas/rare strains I don't know what happened to him, but his strains should come out of the woodworks in the next few years.

It depends on how much it was changed. I prefer less worked lines. That is why I like old genetics. The really good stuff shows up in these. If its all that can be found use them.

CharlesU Farley

Now, the clone thing...you take a clone to new environ...grow, cut new clone from plant, regrow in new environ...idk how fast or slow that change, adaptation, acclimatisation will take. It i confess is an unknown but i dont think they are locked...old timers growing same cut over and over probably grab cuts from healthier looking plants compared to one that got shocked or something and all stunted...same clone grown out from mother plant, but you dont use that crappy plant to continue clones do you
If I wasn't having one of my molars yanked out in a couple hours, I'd do a nice long post, with illustrative pictures, about how the cannabis I've developed over the last 25 years is essentially immune from light bleaching/burning and/or stress.

Since I don't have time for my normal Wall of Words, and will be drugged up on opiates soon, I'll let a couple pics tell the story now:

1000014409.jpg

1000014410.jpg

Cannabis is very adept at changing and adapting to its environment, especially over a long period of time.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
If I wasn't having one of my molars yanked out in a couple hours, I'd do a nice long post, with illustrative pictures, about how the cannabis I've developed over the last 25 years is essentially immune from light bleaching/burning and/or stress.

Since I don't have time for my normal Wall of Words, and will be drugged up on opiates soon, I'll let a couple pics tell the story now:

View attachment 19048711

View attachment 19048712

Cannabis is very adept at changing and adapting to its environment, especially over a long period of time.
Good luck I got 3 yanked last week it aint as bad as people make it sound.
😵

cbotany

Veteran
It depends on how much it was changed. I prefer less worked lines. That is why I like old genetics. The really good stuff shows up in these. If its all that can be found use them.
See if the clones come out, I know he had santa marta, and he had white widow.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
it doesnt change ,
the cutting is an exact copy of the parent ,
it will remain the same , the genetics wont change ,

its not a seed line , i thought u would know this since you tend to spout how clever you are while putting down others ... its a bit sad really ...
anyhow , carry on ...

revegeta , you can send me a pm if you want , i agreed with kro magnum about your post ,
would you like to abuse me too ? privately of course so no one sees what a nasty fellow you can be ??

cbotany

Veteran
Ive been selling my Pre-98 Bubba S1s for 10+ years and they are well received and popular. That is obviously a known cut.. can't release the cut for sale because weed is illegal in the UK ! (seeds are not)

as for unknown cut, ive released Lemon Thai S1s from a plant i grew from seed. They sold out very quickly and the good plants people got means i have requests for more.

S1s do have limitations and rely on the P1's capability to breed true... but on the other side of the coin, an S1 that inherits the traits you desire from its parent is more likely to breed true for those traits than the P1.

Personally, if i was looking for a clone that i could not get hold of, i would regard S1s of the clone as the best place to start.

and to anyone who thinks certain genetics should be preserved in their 'pure' form... off you go.. find them, preserve them for yourself! . Don't expect others to do it for you.

VG :tiphat:
Hey off topic (or maybe on) but do you have the bubba cut that rarely if ever goes above 18? but its just the nicest picture of bubba ever made, I quite miss the old pre 98 bubba