What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

PetePrice

So from what I've learned commercially available Thai stick wasn't grown in Thailand for the most part in the first place ,it was grown across the Mekong in Lau back in the day. Today cannabis is legal in Thailand and as a result as we might predict the old strains and traditional cultivation techniques have gone to the wind. They are now growing hybrids under government supervision with the government trying to make a buck supplying domestic demand. As I see it's a combination no demand, but because no one is willing to grow it or smuggle it out illegally. The drug cartels are making way to much money on drugs like fentanyl to bother smuggling a bulky thing like Thai sticks.So again it is the law that is the biggest threat to the gene pool, I'm sure the farmers in Thailand and Lou would be delighted to grow and export good Thai weed and the seeds .I believe Angus over at the Real Seed co has a blog on Lau Thai weed production not to mention a lot of Lou strains available I will find it and post up a link
I guess the law did a lot to landraces over the years via one way or another.

Strange he joined here in 2016 but took him 8 years to make a post
Actually this is my 4th time.here I have been banned.from.Overgrow and this site too many times.defending myself against low life's such as yourself, you wouldn't work.well.in these.circles and don't really care what you think or comment.....and maybe you didn't hear very well.with some.dudes.cock.in your ears.but I delet.everything every year so.nothing would be on here, funny how I start the year.out fresh every year....I don't play games kid....I still.roll like.this shit is going to land me life in prison, and I don't even sell.the stuff, not into.greed like.yourself, I just love growing cannabis, cannabis you know nothing.about eastcoastjoe your just another body destroying what others enjoy

eastcoastjoe

Actually this is my 4th time.here I have been banned.from.Overgrow and this site too many times.defending myself against low life's such as yourself, you wouldn't work.well.in these.circles and don't really care what you think or comment.....and maybe you didn't hear very well.with some.dudes.cock.in your ears.but I delet.everything every year so.nothing would be on here, funny how I start the year.out fresh every year....I don't play games kid....I still.roll like.this shit is going to land me life in prison, and I don't even sell.the stuff, not into.greed like.yourself, I just love growing cannabis, cannabis you know nothing.about eastcoastjoe your just another body destroying what others enjoy

See that’s the problem with the genepool. If someone makes a dollar their a bad guy. everyone hoards but eventually , everyone complains about how narrow the genepool is. Then guys like yourself say people who actually get things in to the hands of people are destroying it. Makes a lot sense

What are your thoughts on the genepool of 2024 @Dorkvan420, careful you might get labelled a troll..... Plants not people after all...
I don't have an opinion on it, I do believe there is alot of hype and that's what.most rely on is hype, I just met a.dude that his whole.business model.is getting only the pretty pot to the market, and i asked what about potency and taste at the least....he stated if it's hyped and has great bag appeal.fuck.the rest they'll buy it and I will.get rich.....cool.i.stated, the about sums.up.the.genepool these days , all.hype no glory no guts........I going to cross.abunch of junk and get a rapper to market it for me in a.rap.song and become a millionaire, that's the state of breeding these days too.......but remember you'd better get eastcoastjoes permission to.do.or.say anything though, remember he is the cannabis GOD

eastcoastjoe

The way I look at guys who buy clones on craigslist

422C8897-A05F-4DF9-8A69-6D286FEDAC3C.png

PetePrice

I don't have an opinion on it, I do believe there is alot of hype and that's what.most rely on is hype, I just met a.dude that his whole.business model.is getting only the pretty pot to the market, and i asked what about potency and taste at the least....he stated if it's hyped and has great bag appeal.fuck.the rest they'll buy it and I will.get rich.....cool.i.stated, the about sums.up.the.genepool these days , all.hype no glory no guts........I going to cross.abunch of junk and get a rapper to market it for me in a.rap.song and become a millionaire, that's the state of breeding these days too.......but remember you'd better get eastcoastjoes permission to.do.or.say anything though, remember he is the cannabis GOD
Where there's sales there's hype.. same as it ever was.

xtsho

I don't know how you've took that as a dig? You've stated modern hybrids IYHO are shit! So me saying you preserving lines is good is not a dig is it? Now you could improve those lines and the pool but you don't want to! Again fine. But you've been in the thread poncifcating about how shit modern cultivars are but offering no solution other than you preserve what you have. So why does it bother you?

I never said modern hybrids were shit. I said that I'm not impressed and have no need for them.

I have a solution. Start back from the beginning and create your own stuff. It's what many are doing. I've been doing it myself. I've had people ask me for seeds and I've shared them for free.

led05

Chasing The Present
^ Exactly

Every time we select on our own works we imprint ourselves AND our environments both inside & outside into what we grow; outside being much more pronounced from one grower to another but inside is too to a degree as well, it all adds up, especially over time in our offspring… we are greatly increasing our odds to be satisfied more fully, all @ when we do our own selections

Everyone that can should be “breeding” all they grow towards what they love, works where they are & fits their own paradigms; it’s by far the most rewarding & likely way to truly enjoy the fruits of your labor and get what you want. To the extent it works for others too where they are, that’s awesome and just another layer of rewards of growing & making your own - Closing The Loop

If you grow you’re already more than halfway there….

kro-magnon

Veteran
I would push that back until about 2006 or so.

There was so much variety out there in the market. At least in the 215 California market. Although LA was flooded with OGs, I could still find genetics that vastly differed from eachother. There was just more of a selection.

Now whenever you go try to get something that you think is new, you come to find out it's just a new Gelato/Runtz/Zkittles hybrid/cross/s1.

I've been on hiatus from being able to run numbers so there are long periods I go without personal smoke so I venture out into the market. This is what sparked this whole debate between me and my buddies.
What type of buds are you able really able to score where you live, is it really as limited as it seems to you ? You can't buy some Super Lemon Haze or those type of famous sativa dom hybrids in the dispensaries? Can you show us what look like a menu of what a normal disp offer? Sorry for the string of questions but please give answers
The bud market might look repetitive and narrow to you who have been used to grow your own, when I don't have my own buds I still can get quite a variety of smoke and I'm a country where it's illegal. There is some hach and all the different growers I know.
There is the ready to smoke market who is certainly narrower than it was decades ago when red lib, afghan, charas were still easy to find in EU. And many type of imported flowers and locally grown ones. And there is the genetic market who is wider than never before to the average grower because of the huge diversity of seeds sold or exchanged today.

Last edited:

JetLife175

Veteran
What type of buds are you able really able to score where you live, is it really as limited as it seems to you ? You can't buy some Super Lemon Haze or those type of famous sativa dom hybrids in the dispensaries? Can you show us what look like a menu of what a normal disp offer? Sorry for the string of questions but please give answers
The bud market might look repetitive and narrow to you who have been used to grow your own, when I don't have my own buds I still can get quite a variety of smoke and I'm a country where it's illegal. There is some hach and all the different growers I know.
There is the ready to smoke market who is certainly narrower than it was decades ago when red lib, afghan, charas were still easy to find in EU. And many type of imported flowers and locally grown ones. And there is the genetic market who is wider than never before to the average grower because of the huge diversity of seeds sold or exchanged today.

The market here is flooded with what I have mentioned and finding good examples of anything else is rare to say the least. While there are still people pumping out classics it's so rare I can't ever find it.

Runtz/zkittles/gelato is boring as fuck. It's the ultimate bottleneck of genetics in my opinion. It's old, tired, and I get how it's become so popular in legalization. It's for beginners. I just wish the market wasn't so fucked that there could still be things we used to really enjoy.

kro-magnon

Veteran
The market here is flooded with what I have mentioned and finding good examples of anything else is rare to say the least. While there are still people pumping out classics it's so rare I can't ever find it.

Runtz/zkittles/gelato is boring as fuck. It's the ultimate bottleneck of genetics in my opinion. It's old, tired, and I get how it's become so popular in legalization. It's for beginners. I just wish the market wasn't so fucked that there could still be things we used to really enjoy.
It's hard for me to judge those crosses as I don't have smoked any og them yet, I almost only smoke what I grow so it's very different for me compared to someone who has to buy his smoke. In my country the main offer is different grades of moroccan haschich if you have good plug there is some crazy stuff today but the classic stuff sold in the streets is nothing to write home, decent smoke as it's not too much with awful stuffs like parafine.
I'm surprised you can't find more diversity of buds in your local matket even in Holland there is still hybrids from each type, dom Indica, dom Sativa and 50/50.
I have right now some seedlings with Zkittles and Gelato genetics,a friend gave me some seeds to try from Sherbinsky colab with Ex Dinafem, Silant Seeds. It's Acai Jelly a Bacio Gelato cross, it will be my first experience with this type of genetics. And I had a PlatinumZ freebee from In House, a cross of Zkittles and Platinum. The Sherbinsky seedling is much slower to grow than the other plants germed the same day, the PZ has a decent growth but the structure will be viney I think. I have a old Skunk(Dutch version) growing next who is double their size already.

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
This is one of the most ridiculous post I've read here. A strain used to grow in a tropical environment will do the same buds grown at the top of a mountain, that's what you're saying here and that's just not how plants function. Your clone grown in the same garden along the year is not changing of environment and more important a clone has already his genes set ,that's not the same situation at all to a landrace seed taken from a native environment and grown in a totally different one, being latitude, elevation, climate, all those criteria have a direct influence on the result.
Too bad bad you were not there to explain breeders of the 80's they didn't have to do any job, the seeds from anywhere can be grown everywhere with the same end result, they would have been so relieved to know that, why making hybrids who can flower at LAT40/50 if it's not necessary?
That's the biggest absurdity I've seen in long time.
This thing about plants needing years of acclimation to show the proper effect is complete bullshit.

Anyone that has grown the same clone indoors and outdoors knows you can't tell a difference in the effect.

Same thing when you harvest the same clone outdoors in spring, summer, autumn or winter. Completely different environmental conditions. Plant morphology will change, resin coverage will change, calyx to leaf ratio will change. Effect will stay the same.

Edit - I've grown my favourite maple leaf clone easily over 25-30 times, in 3 different houses, under LEDs, fluos and HPS, outdoors in every season, small pots, big pots, in the ground. Effect was exactly as expected every time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts