What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

2024 State of the genepool discussion.

eastcoastjoe

Yes, I did.
View attachment 19048103

This is your list, right? I’ve grown 17 of the listed varieties. 17/24. Not too shabby, huh? And how many did I get from you, Joe? Two? Please, tell me more about what I have grown.

Never said they were available to everyone. Another useless straw man. That’s your forte, huh?

You are acting as if they were rarer than ant’s teeth and only through your act of generosity they were shared with the community. Get a grip.

The fact is you sell clones for a profit (which is fine). But you’re acting like your sole motive was altruism. Bullshit. The likely reason is because the flower market probably tanked where you are and you needed to pivot to clones to make a buck. That’s a charitable read of the situation.

Go first? I asked you a direct question about your stated preservation efforts. Care to answer or would you like to move the goal posts yet again?

Yes, I did.
View attachment 19048103

This is your list, right? I’ve grown 17 of the listed varieties. 17/24. Not too shabby, huh? And how many did I get from you, Joe? Two? Please, tell me more about what I have grown.

Never said they were available to everyone. Another useless straw man. That’s your forte, huh?

You are acting as if they were rarer than ant’s teeth and only through your act of generosity they were shared with the community. Get a grip.

The fact is you sell clones for a profit (which is fine). But you’re acting like your sole motive was altruism. Bullshit. The likely reason is because the flower market probably tanked where you are and you needed to pivot to clones to make a buck. That’s a charitable read of the situation.

Go first? I asked you a direct question about your stated preservation efforts. Care to answer or would you like to move the goal posts yet again?
That’s a older list. A few of them weren’t even around 10 years ago but ok lol. Point was, the chems, OG’s, sours, where did the community have access to those in 2010 like your saying ? They didn’t. That’s why seeds sold the way they did and where all the S1’s came from 🤷🏻‍♂️

No moving goal posts. I answered you. Read it again 👍🏼

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Some of us are not sold on these "Elite" plants. Some may be of the belief that some plant is elite. In reality many of us do not.

Some of you will pay thousands for a clone. Some of us won't pay more than $50-60 for a pack of seeds. I can guarantee that some of us are growing just as good weed from our packs of seeds than those that spent ridiculous amounts of money on some elite clone.

Most everything in the cannabis world runs on hype. Most of these "Elite" strains have been hyped to hell and everybody just has to grow it. Once they do they claim bragging rights and then move onto the next hype. You can fall for the hype if you want.
Been banging this drum for years. Don’t rely on others to make selections for you. Once in a while you might come across something special. It’s rare though, and if it happens it will probably be accidental or luck.

I’ve been very fortunate over the years to have many cuts passed my way. The sad fact (for me at least) is that 80-90% of them were not nearly as good as I was told or expected. Solid maybe but not spectacular.

As a result I stopped caring about what it’s called or who it’s from. I’ll grow it and see for myself. If it’s good, it stays. If not, adios.

eastcoastjoe

That’s not what I said but tell me who was offering any Chem cuts publicly in 2016 ? No one was dude. And if they were so mainstream and passed around , how come you didn’t get it somewhere else ? Because it wasn’t that widespread and we both know this. I just helped spread things around the best I could. That’s what i said. You can spin it anyways you want

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
That’s a older list. A few of them weren’t even around 10 years ago but ok lol.
No shit, Sherlock. Might those be some of the ones I didn’t include in the 17 that I did? I just double checked. To be fair to the 10 year window it’s 13. Four came after that.

Point was, the chems, OG’s, sours, where did the community have access to those in 2010 like your saying ? They didn’t. That’s why seeds sold the way they did and where all the S1’s came from 🤷🏻‍♂️

No moving goal posts. I answered you. Read it again 👍🏼
I had access to them in 2010 and I’m nobody special. If you wanted those cuts back then and you weren’t a shit head they were within reach. And they often didn’t cost a dime.

Point is you selling clones 7 years ago is not the flex you think it is, particularly as it relates to the gene pool and the topic of this thread.

And no, you didn’t answer my question. Your non-response response speaks volumes.

PetePrice

Some of us are not sold on these "Elite" plants. Some may be of the belief that some plant is elite. In reality many of us do not.

Some of you will pay thousands for a clone. Some of us won't pay more than $50-60 for a pack of seeds. I can guarantee that some of us are growing just as good weed from our packs of seeds than those that spent ridiculous amounts of money on some elite clone.

Most everything in the cannabis world runs on hype. Most of these "Elite" strains have been hyped to hell and everybody just has to grow it. Once they do they claim bragging rights and then move onto the next hype. You can fall for the hype if you want.
And the best of the best is integrated into the pool, see chem, OG, sour, if something is hyped and not good it goes to the curb... But hey one mans trash is anothers gold.... But if them seeds/plants are kept to yourself they aren't ever going to influence the genepool... Those elites are though.

Also you seem to of missed the bit where I say truly elite. (It's not many IMO)

Last edited:

eastcoastjoe

No shit, Sherlock. Might those be some of the ones I didn’t include in the 17 that I did? I just double checked. To be fair to the 10 year window it’s 13. Four came after that.

I had access to them in 2010 and I’m nobody special. If you wanted those cuts back then and you weren’t a shit head they were within reach. And they often didn’t cost a dime.

Point is you selling clones 7 years ago is not the flex you think it is, particularly as it relates to the gene pool and the topic of this thread.

And no, you didn’t answer my question. Your non-response response speaks volumes.

I don’t know why you even keep saying that, who’s Flexing ? And for the third time, go back and read my comment about what I said. Maybe reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit?

Tynehead Tom

don't sweat it @eastcoastjoe , I know that us Canadians have benefitted greatly from your efforts as quite a few cuts in our circles up here originated from you. Your efforts are appreciated by many believe me.

I had to cease growing at home in 2005 and couldn't resume until 2015. Most of today's elite lines came to fame in that 10 years. Prior to 2005, here in BC Canada, you really had to know someone in order to aquire any of the cash crop strains. Those would be what we call elites today I guess. Back then you would buy trays of clones for a good chunk of change and truthfully, I would have had to really hunt to find anyone growing from seed. Everyone was growing to sell thier bud so they wanted clones.
I never got on to the seed catalogs from the dutch or the high times adds. For me it was Marc Emory's store in Vancouver and a room mate that dragged me there in 1998. LOL I did grow from seed prior to that but it was seed that came from my mentor that we would hunt for new cash crop cuts.
The traditional and historical hot spots for cultivation outdoors is where I think the North American seed game really began. Places like the BC Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island, South western BC, Southern Ontario and Quebec, California, Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado...... and more. I could be wrong but I think these are the canna communities that really pushed breeding and the seed game forward. Then enter the Dutch and the rest is history LOL

xtsho

After chasing a lot of these clones down for years, and finally getting to grow them, I would have to say that I would agree with you on that. Some of them, while they are great, are not really what I would consider so elite that you couldn’t find just as good in seeds.

I don't know if you've heard of the Cosmic Crisp apple. It's a cross between a Honeycrisp and an Enterprise apple. It was developed over 22 years at the University of Washington. It was launched with a $10 million dollar hype campaign including on Instagram. They rolled it out in 2019 to the consumer with lot's of fanfare. It was the new "Premium" apple and was priced twice as much as other apples.

I'll admit that I bought some as soon as they became available. Then reality hit. After all the hype It wasn't anything special and definitely not worth the premium price. Last time I saw some at the grocery store they were priced less than one of it's parents the Honeycrisp. It was a bland apple with a thick skin that really doesn't have anything going for it. If you research it online it gets mixed reviews with the best ones coming from sites that are likely paid.

I bring up the apple as an example of how marketing has been used by the commercial industry for years to hype and sell products to consumers. The same thing is happening with cannabis. It's a business where lot's of money is changing hands and people are all trying to get their slice of the pie. Marketing hype is a big part of the cannabis industry. But like other industries the hype is often unfounded and the product sells due to slick marketing. After the initial hype wears off what was once a must have, gotta get it now, becomes just another product that isn't anything special.

Promotion and marketing​

A $10 million consumer launch of the product was funded by Washington-State agriculture promotion funds through the Washington Apple Commission and other agencies. The two taglines for the apple were "Imagine the Possibilities" and "The Apple of Big Dreams". It is said to be the largest campaign in apple industry history and included payments to social media influencers and a partnership with a touring children's production of Johnny Appleseed. The term "Cosmic Crisp" is trademarked.

https://www.businessinsider.com/cosmic-crisp-apple-farmers-washington-state-2020-1

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
That’s not what I said but tell me who was offering any Chem cuts publicly in 2016 ? No one was dude. And if they were so mainstream and passed around , how come you didn’t get it somewhere else ? Because it wasn’t that widespread and we both know this. I just helped spread things around the best I could. That’s what i said. You can spin it anyways you want
Get what somewhere else? I didn’t get any Chem cut from you in 2016. I never got any cuts from you prior to maybe 2020? It’s been a while so I’m hazy on the specifics. Forgive me.

You need to quit this act like you’re king shit because you sold someone a cut. Bad business practice dude. You have constantly tried to throw it in my face that I even inquired (let alone bought) a cut from you.

Why? Is your argument so weak you need to attack me rather than what I’m saying?

And let this be a warning to anyone considering dealing with Joe. If and when he finds it convenient, he will use it against you as some sort of Gotcha!

Weak sauce, old timer.

Last edited:

eastcoastjoe

Get what somewhere else? I never got any cuts from you prior to maybe 2020? It’s been a while so I’m hazy on the specifics. Forgive me.

And the only reason I bothered at the time was because I was starting up after taking a break and wanted certain cuts back. I could have asked friends but I don’t like asking for shit. It’s a personal flaw.

More to the point, I didn’t want to cash in favors when I could just spend a couple bucks, help a forum guy out in the process, and get what I wanted when I wanted it. Win/win, right?

You need to quit this act like you’re king shit because you sold someone a cut. Bad business practice dude. You have constantly tried to throw it in my face that I even inquired (let alone bought) a cut from you.

Why? Is your argument so weak you need to attack me rather than what I’m saying?

And let this be a warning to anyone considering dealing with Joe. If and when he finds it convenient, he will use it against you as some sort of Gotcha!

Weak sauce, old timer.

I’m not attacking you about anything. Do you have amnesia? Go back a page or two. I don’t remember saying a word to you until you tried to crack slick .

And again, what the fuck are you talking about me acting like the king of anything? You sound stupid. You’re sitting here asking me what have I done and when I try to say things that I have done to contribute, you’re making it seem like I’m bragging lol. Wtf sense does that make

eastcoastjoe

don't sweat it @eastcoastjoe , I know that us Canadians have benefitted greatly from your efforts as quite a few cuts in our circles up here originated from you. Your efforts are appreciated by many believe me.

I had to cease growing at home in 2005 and couldn't resume until 2015. Most of today's elite lines came to fame in that 10 years. Prior to 2005, here in BC Canada, you really had to know someone in order to aquire any of the cash crop strains. Those would be what we call elites today I guess. Back then you would buy trays of clones for a good chunk of change and truthfully, I would have had to really hunt to find anyone growing from seed. Everyone was growing to sell thier bud so they wanted clones.
I never got on to the seed catalogs from the dutch or the high times adds. For me it was Marc Emory's store in Vancouver and a room mate that dragged me there in 1998. LOL I did grow from seed prior to that but it was seed that came from my mentor that we would hunt for new cash crop cuts.
The traditional and historical hot spots for cultivation outdoors is where I think the North American seed game really began. Places like the BC Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands and Vancouver Island, South western BC, Southern Ontario and Quebec, California, Oregon, New Mexico, Colorado...... and more. I could be wrong but I think these are the canna communities that really pushed breeding and the seed game forward. Then enter the Dutch and the rest is history LOL

I appreciate that man. Thank you.

xtsho

And some the be

And the best of the best is integrated into the pool, see chem, OG, sour, if something is hyped and not good it goes to the curb... But hey one mans trash is anothers gold.... But if them seeds/plants are kept to yourself they aren't ever going to influence the genepool... Those elites are though.

What I grow is already in the gene pool. The Thai's, African, South American, Afghani, Indian strains were used by people decades ago to make what you consider to be the "Elite" strains. Trace the lineage of whatever you're growing and you'll find those strains in various combinations. You can still get seed for the strains I grow. And why would I care about influencing the gene pool? I could care less if someone years from now references me as being someone that came out with this or that cut.

I do what I do because I believe a day will come when you won't be able to obtain the strains I've been growing and reproducing. Losing some famous hybrid is unfortunate. Losing what was used to create that hybrid is tragic.

You seem to think that just because I reproduce seeds and create my own hybrids that I have an interest in getting in the seed and strain game for profit. I don't. I'm perfectly content trading and sharing with other like minded growers while acquiring stuff I don't have along the way.

Not everyone has the need or desire to be in the business of selling seeds or clones to the masses. I don't give it the "Cool" factor so many of you do. I grow weed. That's all I care to do.

PetePrice

What I grow is already in the gene pool. The Thai's, African, South American, Afghani, Indian strains were used by people decades ago to make what you consider to be the "Elite" strains. Trace the lineage of whatever you're growing and you'll find those strains in various combinations. You can still get seed for the strains I grow. And why would I care about influencing the gene pool? I could care less if someone years from now references me as being someone that came out with this or that cut.

I do what I do because I believe a day will come when you won't be able to obtain the strains I've been growing and reproducing. Losing some famous hybrid is unfortunate. Losing what was used to create that hybrid is tragic.

You seem to think that just because I reproduce seeds and create my own hybrids that I have an interest in getting in the seed and strain game for profit. I don't. I'm perfectly content trading and sharing with other like minded growers while acquiring stuff I don't have along the way.

Not everyone has the need or desire to be in the business of selling seeds or clones to the masses. I don't give it the "Cool" factor so many of you do. I grow weed. That's all I care to do.
Ok so you don't care about the genepool but are just here in this thread commenting on it? I couldn't care less what you do with regard to your seed lots etc but I do wonder why you are here in this thread giving your 2cents about something you don't care for? I feel it's noble to preserve and glad you share those seeds with others.

I had chem cuts back in 2010, Chemdawg and Chem 4 were all around here......wasn't around ,okay know it all!!!

eastcoastjoe

I had chem cuts back in 2010, Chemdawg and Chem 4 were all around here......wasn't around ,okay know it all!!!

Another one that is trying to spin my words. So in 2010, all the Chem cuts were available to anyone who wanted them? Come on man get real. At that time you could not even buy one. Back then you had to stay up late to hopefully get a pack of stardawg when JJ dropped. Wasn’t any Chem cuts available to the general public. Get the fuck out of here.

Latest posts

Latest posts